NBA Listed Heights Ruined My Sense Of Height Perception
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akbroker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject:

everyone lies about their heights anyway (im positive this fallon guy is too), so how much more basketball players (though it's not 100% their fault). i'm 6'1' but always say im 6'2 when people ask me (which is my height with shoes on) because i was listed as 6'2 in hs even though i only measured 6'0 1/2. we had a 6'2 pf who was listed 6'5 that even the other students talked about it behind his back. didnt help that he had poor posture which made it more unbelievable.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/34789/kevin-love-and-height-liars-in-shoes
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
And the final blow:

http://www.celebheights.com/s/Derrick-Rose-47954.html

compare to:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/18de153d151637569d042b3af46e9146/tumblr_mhaspj7JDw1rbht5bo1_500.jpg

I don't mean to pick on Curry, either. If Derrick Rose truly is 6'1.5" (and I don't doubt celebheights, those guys are WAY more OCD about this than I am), that puts a lot of doubt into the heights of Westbrook, Wall, and especially Paul, who I always thought was a 5'10" dude.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Derrick-Rose-1068/

Why is this even an issue? Seriously? I thought everyone knew that almost all NBA listed heights were wrong.

Who said it's an issue? I'm not Stephen A. Smith. Like I said in the first post, I'm just airing out some OCD thoughts I had on NBA heights. Rose was (and is?) listed at 6'3" for a while, so he was fair game.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:

That's probably a pretty difficult skill to monetize, but so is the coursework and research underlying a doctorate in history, so ... anyway, it sounds worthy of a hood to me ...

Last thought on the height issue ... I was listed at 6'2" and 215 lbs. in high school in the 90s ... I was really just over 6'1" (at best) and probably closer to 205 lbs. ... I think the facade of projecting more imposing dimensions is as old as man ... I feel like everyone did it on our team anyway; QB was maybe 6' and change ... program also had him as 6'2" ... anyway, the internet seems to make people feel like they're 11 feet tall, so it's getting worse, I guess ...

Man you're going for the low blows aren't you ? Not that you're wrong, I'll probably make more money doing side gigs as a writer.

Your analysis is on point there...it's about building a sense of awe/intimidation.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NBA Listed Heights Ruined My Sense Of Height Perception

activeverb wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Back when I was a kid I'd see guys listed 6'5" in the NBA, and be like, "wow, they really don't look that big on the TV." Of course, I chalked it up to me watching them on the TV, as most would.

Now though, it's so obvious NBA heights are terribly off. This is old news to 80% of you probably, but a new picture recently came out that cements that point.

Here's 6'3" listed Steph Curry with 6'1" (confirmed by his Presidential physical back in 2008) Obama:

http://tinyurl.com/p5lqhg8

They are, for all intents and purposes, the exact same height, with Curry edging him slightly (though he IS closer to the camera, giving him an advantage).

So if you think of Curry as 6'1", that automatically lowers the heights of those around him as well (compared to their listed heights at least).

I know these guys are pretty close to their listed heights in shoes, but that's pretty BS. Basketball shoes give like 1.75" of height, basically the male version of high heels.

So whenever I see a legit 6'4" or 6'5" person in real life I'm always blown away initially, because they look way more gigantic than the 6'2" dudes listed at that height in the NBA (like Jordan Clarkson, for instance). I realize now that legit 6'5" dudes are often listed 6'7" in the NBA.

The difference between 6'2" and 6'4" might seem minimal on paper, but switch that up to 5'10" and 6'0 IRL and you get a better idea of how significant that difference can look.

Anyways, this post has no real purpose other than to serve as a vessel for my OCD observations. NBA guys are usually seen as SUPER tall, but honestly the 1s and 2s are pretty normal sized, and even the 3s you'll see everyday on your average college campus. What separates most 1s, 2s, and 3s from the normal population isn't height, but talent and athleticism.

Generally, the listed heights of basketball players are 0.5-2.0 inches higher than their barefoot heights.

The average American male is 5'9"

The average NBA shooting guard, without shoes, is about 6-4, and the average point guard is about 6'2".

So they are much taller than average, but there are millions of people as tall as them. And sure, no NBA point guard is in the league primarily because of his height.

But I think all that information is about as shocking to most people as the information that Tom Cruise is short.

I've spent time around NBA players and overall they sure seemed damn tall to me, and I am about 5'10"

No doubt! I guess in part what I was trying to say is that a traditional tall guy like Obama (6 foot maybe slightly above) can still hold their own against most NBA players listed 6' to 6'5".
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Farley voice: D'you re-remember when they used to claim that Hakeem was 7 feet tall? That was awesome.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject:

I"m pretty sure that most listed heights in the NBA have been with shoes on.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

That's another subject we can talk about. Some basketball shoes have insane heels! I had a pair of And-1's about ten years ago that boosted me by around 2 inches.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

That's another subject we can talk about. Some basketball shoes have insane heels! I had a pair of And-1's about ten years ago that boosted me by around 2 inches.

This is actually a thread that appears about every two years. Inevitably we'll realize the lies about height etc., and then revisit the misinformation/lies pro sports disseminates.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: