The Vitti / DiFrancesco Doctrine

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: The Vitti / DiFrancesco Doctrine

Originally this was a post in the Alex McKechnie thread, but it sort of veered away from him and became off topic enough that I felt it needed its own thread. This is really old news, but obviously not stuff that has really been looked at by us as fans. In light of all the injuries, it's a bit interesting.

Here goes:

---

http://www.nsca.com/education/articles/coaches-corner-with-timothy-difrancesco/

This interview was enlightening. DiFrancesco believes in "quality" of exercises rather than quantity. He also believes that diet plays a huge role (grass fed all day errday). And, finally, his regimen of choice involves "heavy weights" (that explains Nash's injury lol).

Maybe those of you with more experience can comment. A lot of what he said sounded like infomercial rhetoric to me.

Some more reading:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/130712grassfed_timdifrancesco

Apparently DiFrancesco's regimen was formulated in large part by Vitti. Maybe those Vitti memes aren't too far off?

Also he has our guys on non-pasteurized dairy products. Maybe the runs keep them from performing well/ focusing in practice?

DiFrancesco goes on to call fruit "a deadly poison."

I'm starting to get the picture here. It seems DiFran takes diet into such high esteem, that he's letting food do the work for him. Example:

"[Sandra Padilla, team chef] makes a new soup each day for the team that nourishes the player’s regularly taxed joints, ligaments, and tendons."

Going back to Vitti and DiFrancesco's idea of "quality over quantity" and "diet above all else," does anyone else get the sense that our players aren't properly prepped?

Can somebody translate this DiFrancesco quote for me?

Quote:
We're now at a cool period of time in terms of nutrition in this world, and we're continuing to get better. Cutting edge information, science, and research is colliding with the understanding that our ancestors had this all right many years ago to create the Slow Food Movement – the Anti-Fast Food Movement. The fast food/mass produced/processed approach to food has placed us on the wrong path. The Slow Food Movement can get us back on the right path if we accept it.

He ends with talking about how he basically prescribes bacon and butter as an anti-flammitory drug to Kobe, to fight his achilles injury. Note this interview happened before the knee and shoulder injuries.

So yeah, I'll take McKechnie back, please. The Vitti/DiFrancesco two headed snake doesn't seem to be working.
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vitti / DiFrancesco Doctrine

Don Draper wrote:

... He ends with talking about how he basically prescribes bacon and butter as an anti-flammitory drug to Kobe, to fight his achilles injury.

No wonder my achilles is fine.

As for professional baskeball players?!?! I'm thinking this is not a good idea.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:

There are relics of the great Lakers past in mitch, vitti, byron. In a few years they probably retire to great fanfare. But we need some new young leaders in their respective industries.
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject:

There have been recent reports that I have seen on tv that said bacon and butter may not be as bad for you as once thought. Maybe he is part of that movement?

Personally, I believe in eating what I want to eat, but eating the right portion and not over doing it.

The thing about fruit is a little odd.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vitti / DiFrancesco Doctrine

Alpha wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

... He ends with talking about how he basically prescribes bacon and butter as an anti-flammitory drug to Kobe, to fight his achilles injury.

It sounds like the Paleolithic diet which is fantastic. I have been on this diet for two years, have lost 30 pounds, my cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure are better than ever, and I've been able to reverse pre-diabetes.
So it is a great idea, it is all about eating natural foods, and no inflammatory grains whatsoever. You eat vegetables, fruits, all meats, nuts and zero refined sugar. It was the way our bodies where supposed to be, instead of being fed all of these refined carbs which have poor nutritive qualities. Read the book; The Paleo Diet by Dr. Loren Cordain, and realize this is the best diet for athletes, and just everyone else. The food industry is killing people with all the fast food, sugar and empty cal foods. Instead of eating the stuff that is not packaged but natural as we did when we were basically paleolithic.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Potato-Mania wrote:
There have been recent reports that I have seen on tv that said bacon and butter may not be as bad for you as once thought. Maybe he is part of that movement?

Personally, I believe in eating what I want to eat, but eating the right portion and not over doing it.

The thing about fruit is a little odd.

Yeah I've read about some of that research. It's not so much that DiFrancesco is wrong from a theoretical standpoint, per se, just that I hope his focus on diet and new-agey stuff isn't taking us away from the kind of full body analysis/ consistent strengthening physical workouts that teams like the Raptors and Suns use.

Last edited by Don Draper on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vitti / DiFrancesco Doctrine

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Alpha wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

It sounds like the Paleolithic diet which is fantastic. I have been on this diet for two years, have lost 30 pounds, my cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure are better than ever, and I've been able to reverse pre-diabetes.
So it is a great idea, it is all about eating natural foods, and no inflammatory grains whatsoever. You eat vegetables, fruits, all meats, nuts and zero refined sugar. It was the way our bodies where supposed to be, instead of being fed all of these refined carbs which have poor nutritive qualities. Read the book; The Paleo Diet by Dr. Loren Cordain, and realize this is the best diet for athletes, and just everyone else. The food industry is killing people with all the fast food, sugar and empty cal foods. Instead of eating the stuff that is not packaged but natural as we did when we were basically paleolithic.

I read that book, was pretty good. Saw the documentary too. Still, when you are a pro-athlete you're going to need more than diet, which is my main concern (especially since DiFran admits some of the players don't pay attention to what they eat anyways).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: