***OFFICIAL LAKERS 2015 NBA DRAFT THREAD*** (No. 2 Russell, No. 27 Nance, No. 34 Brown: p.1661 - Upshaw signed for SL)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject:

Hmmmm, 3 wins in a row now.... with 16 wins the Lakers are solidifying their position at the 4th pick...... BUT.....

..... with Orlando at 19 wins and Denver with 20 wins closing in on the Lakers due to the Lakers recent success at only 3 and 4 wins behind the Lakers, they are putting the first round pick this coming year in jeopardy because as we know the Lakers have to be in the top 5 draft picks to retain the selection..... The combination of Orlando and Denver ending up ahead of the Lakers in the draft selections would put the Lakers at pick #6 hence the Lakers lose the pick....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject:

Towns is an excellent prospect. He is a much better prospect than WCS but WCS perhaps fits better into the mold of what you want your center to be nowadays.
Its actually a very tricky comparison. One is far better, the other is kind of what you want your center to be.

In modern NBA, do you even want your center to be a star? Modern analytics discourage post play anyway. Do you want your center to do anything else but run the break, get putbacks and garbage points? While being able to go 1 on 1 as a bonus? Skilled centers don't take lightly to a diminished role. Analytics kind of suggest they should have a diminished role on offense.

It's likely something many in the NBA are still struggling with. Tradionally the most important position has changed so dramatically recently, its a bit unclear what exactly is a prototypical center today.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject:

Why follow a trend instead of being a trend setter?

WCS doesn't get to display all of his skills at Kentucky, similar to Cousins, Randle, and even Anthony Davis.

He's working on his midrange shot, pull up mid-range jumper, and is definitely going to be one of the best overall athletes in the draft with some preliminary NBA Draft testing numbers already produced. Whether or not the numbers are hype is one thing, but it's out there.

Not that WCS is Anthony Davis, but he's trying to get to that point offensively.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
In modern NBA, do you even want your center to be a star? Modern analytics discourage post play anyway. Do you want your center to do anything else but run the break, get putbacks and garbage points? While being able to go 1 on 1 as a bonus? Skilled centers don't take lightly to a diminished role. Analytics kind of suggest they should have a diminished role on offense.

Links or references?

--Anonymous
SunshineMan89
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
Towns is an excellent prospect. He is a much better prospect than WCS but WCS perhaps fits better into the mold of what you want your center to be nowadays.
Its actually a very tricky comparison. One is far better, the other is kind of what you want your center to be.

It's likely something many in the NBA are still struggling with. Tradionally the most important position has changed so dramatically recently, its a bit unclear what exactly is a prototypical center today.

Analytics suggest that isolation play is inefficient from any position, but they most certainly don't assert that centers are unimportant.

See: Chandler, Noah, Cousins, etc . . .
ADA32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Even with a measly two game win streak the Lakers will still fall below Minny when the dust settles at season's end.
The Timberwolves are playing good ball with 25 or 26 games to go. If they continue to properly use the talent they have I expect them to win at least 10 more games.
We definitely won't win 6 or 7 more games.
I believe that we will finish with the 3rd worst record and end up with a very good young prospect.
We will have a solid core to work with and by '16 & '17 the team will have bonded together.
We will be back & we will have the capital to acquire even more top-notch free agents by then.

well in order for us to truly solidify the tank, we're gonna need you to stop making game threads, cuz according to the chart you are an abysmal 5-2 in game threads and we can't have those damaging victories

I'm officially out of the thread business until after we secure the pick!!

(I'm serious)

LMAOF!
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

WCS definitely has potential, the only thing that pushes him down the draft board is his sickle cell trait.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Silver is a Knicks fan, he could care less if the Lakers keep their top 5 pick or not.

Silver is the NBA commissioner and the NBA making profits is good for his career. The Lakers doing well is good for the NBA making profits.

Please stop. You were saying the same thing last year about getting a top 3 pick. Silver hates the Lakers. He was the driving force of this new CBA.

I said last year and still say this year, I don't see how the system can be rigged. Please explain how that could happen.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject:

SunshineMan89 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Analytics suggest that isolation play is inefficient from any position, but they most certainly don't assert that centers are unimportant.

See: Chandler, Noah, Cousins, etc . . .

I could actually see WCS having a better overall career.

If you draft 1-3 you still probably have to take Towns based on potential. That said, I think it will be 3-5 years before we know the deal? Another thing, I think you really have to hope Towns will be attractive enough to bring in star FA's in that time period. Clarkson/Randle/Towns is solid imo.

My bust accusations of Towns is simple related to his over-hype, not saying he can't be a solid piece on a championship caliber team as a third or fourth option imo.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Kentucky routed Arkansas 84-67.

Willie Cauley-Stein (seven points, nine rebounds, four blocks) and Karl-Anthony Towns (eight points, five rebounds, 1 block) both looked really good again.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400597420
Nick the Quick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Links or references?

this is where i disagree. post play becomes more valuable (assuming you have a good post up player).

not only can you take advantage down low, but you are also able to negate the other teams fast break and take away possessions from the other team.

you can't tell me that if hakeem or kareem were playing today that they wouldn't be absolute beasts and change how the game was played.

the analytics are skewed because no one plays down low anymore, and even guys that do spend probably far too much time out on the perimeter.

so yes, while the rule changes favor more outside shooting and driving to the basket, i'm certain a legit post up player would still be one of the most valuable commodities in today's game
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Will please people stop acting like the Lakers are ever going to be a full fledged analytics based team. We are not San Antonio or Atlanta or Oakland, or any other small market venue.

Stop acting like if the Lakers have the opportunity to go get a superstar type post player and because analytics says it's a bad idea they won't do it.

That goes against everything they have done since they came to LA. LA is not a team that HAS to squeeze pennies just to have a chance to be successful. I'm not saying don't use every advantage analytics has to offer, but I will be very surprised if Mitch is not looking into Cousins right now and gauging what he can do. Because Mitch knows that this is a game changer.

Not saying Cousins is coming to LA, but I am saying Mitch is going to try to make it happen if the opportunity presents itself, I believe that without a doubt.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

Not saying Cousins is coming to LA, but I am saying Mitch is going to try to make it happen if the opportunity presents itself, I believe that without a doubt.

TOTALLY AGREE; DO IT MITCH
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Why follow a trend instead of being a trend setter?

WCS doesn't get to display all of his skills at Kentucky, similar to Cousins, Randle, and even Anthony Davis.

He's working on his midrange shot, pull up mid-range jumper, and is definitely going to be one of the best overall athletes in the draft with some preliminary NBA Draft testing numbers already produced. Whether or not the numbers are hype is one thing, but it's out there.

Not that WCS is Anthony Davis, but he's trying to get to that point offensively.

I just can't get over that he is a 7-footer who can lock up PGs.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Karl Towns per 40 is not impressive to me at all. Offensively he is average for a man his size and that kind of talent. He would have to play 40 minutes to equal the blocks of an Anthony Davis or Tim Duncan in 30 minutes.

18/13 per 40 is impressive, even with 4 blks,? That is low compared to the best in the nba today.

I see the defense though and the potential. WCS is unreal athletic though. If he ever develops a solid jumpshot he will be awesome.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Stanley still can't finish at the rim.
Nick the Quick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

i don't get the people that want him. he's just not very good. he's got quite a ways to go in any case, and i don't see the flash of athleticism that i'd like to see from guys who are still developing.

i hope we steer clear. don't care that he's from the area.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Nick the Quick wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

i don't get the people that want him. he's just not very good. he's got quite a ways to go in any case, and i don't see the flash of athleticism that i'd like to see from guys who are still developing.

so many question marks offensively with him. The consensus is basically that he can only shoot threes offensively. I think he's more decent off the dribble than he gets credit for. but he can't shoot off the dribble 2s, or finish at the rim.

HE'S NOW MISSED 5 POINT BLANK ATTEMPTS AT THE RIM TONIGHT. just got blocked. been like this all season.
Nick the Quick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Nick the Quick wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

so many question marks offensively with him. The consensus is basically that he can only shoot threes offensively. I think he's more decent off the dribble than he gets credit for. but he can't shoot off the dribble 2s, or finish at the rim.

HE'S NOW MISSED 5 POINT BLANK ATTEMPTS AT THE RIM TONIGHT. just got blocked. been like this all season.

physically he looks the part, maybe more than any guy going in the top 10.

to me, he's just not explosive. i'd love to see him have a nice nba career, being that he's a local guy, but i'm not confident. if we were drafting 10-12, i'd take the chance.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Nick the Quick wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Nick the Quick wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

physically he looks the part, maybe more than any guy going in the top 10.

to me, he's just not explosive. i'd love to see him have a nice nba career, being that he's a local guy, but i'm not confident. if we were drafting 10-12, i'd take the chance.

You're exactly right, he's not explosive in the halfcourt.
Fast forward to 1:38 and look at the explosion from Justise Winslow in the halfcourt, over a bigman today.
The other half of the time, Winslow uses a great euro step and finds a seem to finish, Johnson can't do that either.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Winslow has looked better than Johnson.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Stanley Johnson shooting 3-19 tonight and just got benched. He's a horrible offensive player. Do not draft him.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Missed 6 shots right around the rim today
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Winslow has looked better than Johnson.

Winslow has been a beast since day one!
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Stanley just hit the rookie wall, it happens. Winslow hit his rookie wall that lasted about 5 games and now he's playing better. Stanley's been good all season just hasn't been hitting his shots consistently the last 3 games. He's going to eventually figure it out, the great ones always do.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next
Page 28 of 1691
Jump to: