Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:

I've gotta see this dunk by Pinnock.
L33T kObE8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Everyone needs to read the following (hehe):

If you haven't been to a SPL game yet or have only been looking at stats then you don't know that this was a BS game for the Lakers. THIS IS THE MAVS B-TEAM PEOPLE! Farmar and Bynum played some sick ball the night before, so they needed a break.

The Lakers dominated the Mavs B-team the first time, it wasn't even a close game. Just by looking at Bynum's stats you can tell that he was just passing and throwing up weak shots when he had no other choice. I'm glad to see Farmar got a rest, because the coaches needed a better look at Pinnock.

I know a lot of haters and skeptics will bash Bynum for "not trying 100% every game he plays" but the guy gets abused under the basket, and Kurt probably told him to hold back so the other guys could get some time.

The game for Bynum seemed to be last night because Kareem was there so I would think that he was going 100%. I wasn't at the game today so I can't judge, but don't jump to conclusions so fast guys! The Lakers played a great game against Memphis!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:

2) If so, and it's serious enough to affect his play, why the heck was he even out there?

He mentioned it last night after the game. Don't know the nature of the injury.
lakers399
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
I've heard repeated references to some sort of "knee injury" hampering Bynum.

QUESTIONS:

1) Has there been any confirmation of any such injury, either by him or the team?

2) If so, and it's serious enough to affect his play, why the heck was he even out there?

Yes, Bynum said that he hurt his knees. What does that mean? I don't know, maybe slight injury that if he doesn't exert himself, he won't feel it.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Its not the best pic, but heres the dunk by pinnock that i belive drew the technical from dallas, it was taken right before he dunked it

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/ballerxj/pinnockdunk.jpg
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Pinnock and Slaughter both played well.Pinnock just seems more active than Wafer and Green, in my view, he moves great without the ball, most of his points seemed to have come of cuts and screens,he mixed his game up, his shot was alitle off, but still good. I wouldnt mind if the lakers took him over wafer.Slaughter played way better than Bynum, he really had it down when he got those two consecutive blocks
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Everyone who question Bynum's fire obviously didn't see Miami @ staples this year. The kid has heart, what he lacks is b-ball IQ. Getting dunks blocked, that's not because he has no fire. He's only 18, he'll learn to pump fake, draw fouls, etc. Give him time...
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Everyone who question Bynum's fire obviously didn't see Miami @ staples this year. The kid has heart, what he lacks is b-ball IQ. Getting dunks blocked, that's not because he has no fire. He's only 18, he'll learn to pump fake, draw fouls, etc. Give him time...

I agree with you somewhat, he does have some fire, but at times, he seemed to simply be lagging it, i can remember a play where dallas got the rebound and were pushing it up the court, and bynum didnt even move for like 5 seconds until he saw that dallas was seting up, that was really dissapointing to me, because everyone ran back,and he didnt even look like he cared,meybe he was tired, or he really didnt care, but he could atleast look like he cares
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject:

L33T kObE8 wrote:
Everyone needs to read the following (hehe):

If you haven't been to a SPL game yet or have only been looking at stats then you don't know that this was a BS game for the Lakers. THIS IS THE MAVS B-TEAM PEOPLE! Farmar and Bynum played some sick ball the night before, so they needed a break.

The Lakers dominated the Mavs B-team the first time, it wasn't even a close game. Just by looking at Bynum's stats you can tell that he was just passing and throwing up weak shots when he had no other choice. I'm glad to see Farmar got a rest, because the coaches needed a better look at Pinnock.

I know a lot of haters and skeptics will bash Bynum for "not trying 100% every game he plays" but the guy gets abused under the basket, and Kurt probably told him to hold back so the other guys could get some time.

The game for Bynum seemed to be last night because Kareem was there so I would think that he was going 100%. I wasn't at the game today so I can't judge, but don't jump to conclusions so fast guys! The Lakers played a great game against Memphis!

I agree with the part about them needing a break. I doubt Kurt told Bynum to hold back, doesn't sound like something he would do. Kareem was right behind the players bench the whole game today. I was sitting a ways behind Kareem so I'm not sure what his reactions were.

I didn't know about Bynum's knee issue during the game. Only as far as Bynum's performance goes today, I was relieved to here about the knee. Gives more hope that this was just a one-time thing.

Since I missed Farmar all together, and sat through us playing down to the Mavs JV squad, I will try to make it to some of the other Lakers games. I can't make it to Friday's game but will plan on Saturday. I'll probably do like today, thumb some notes into my Treo and then copy and paste to a halftime post and an after game post.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:

ballerxj wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I agree with you somewhat, he does have some fire, but at times, he seemed to simply be lagging it, i can remember a play where dallas got the rebound and were pushing it up the court, and bynum didnt even move for like 5 seconds until he saw that dallas was seting up, that was really dissapointing to me, because everyone ran back,and he didnt even look like he cared,meybe he was tired, or he really didnt care, but he could atleast look like he cares

co-sign... Bynum had zero fire today, unless you think a punch-drunk boxer who thinks he's ahead on points and so just tries to stay on his feet, has fire. Don't misunderstand, I'm thinking there must be valid reasons, 4 games in 5 nights, knee issue. Bynum wasn't reacting at all today much less initiating. I'm not judging him though. Hope his knee recovers and he can bounce back in the upcoming games.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Heres some more pics....

Farmar on the bench
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/ballerxj/CIMG0163.jpg

End result of pinnock dunk
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/ballerxj/CIMG0164.jpg

Bynum on D
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/ballerxj/CIMG0196.jpg

Bynum going up to dunk
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/ballerxj/CIMG0205.jpg

Bynum boxing out
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/ballerxj/CIMG0213.jpg

Bynum getting blocked
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/ballerxj/CIMG0220.jpg

more to come..
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Freakout wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't there but the assists + lack of shot attempts normally mean he was getting doubled early and often. I'm definately curious to read Mike and DB's thoughts.

Couldn't make this game... I'd bet Bynum's energy level was probably low after playing last night.

It probably was not the energy level but because Farmar wasn't there to throw Bynum the ball in scoring position.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lurker wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Freakout wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't there but the assists + lack of shot attempts normally mean he was getting doubled early and often. I'm definately curious to read Mike and DB's thoughts.

Couldn't make this game... I'd bet Bynum's energy level was probably low after playing last night.

It probably was not the energy level but because Farmar wasn't there to throw Bynum the ball in scoring position.

Farmar didn't cause Bynum to stand there while he got dunked on. Farmar didn't prevent Bynum from moving his legs to get after someone on D. Farmer didn't block two consecutive Bynum shots like a 6'9" Mavs scrub did. I'm not going to sugarcoat a performance like I saw tonight. Even though the remark may have been about the game in general, a fan behind me summed it all up when he yelled: "Hey, can we get our money back?"
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lurker wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Freakout wrote:

Except that it sounds like he didn't do much of anything else either. Didn't fight for boards, didn't run the floor, didn't contest a lot of shots, didn't out muscle guys in the post... none of that has anything to do with Farmar. I have no doubt that offensive execution suffered without Farmar, and it's quite possible Bynum didn't get many good looks. But, from the descriptions of some of the other things he wasn't doing, it seems he gave into some fatigue. I doubt he was hurting too much from the knee or anything. Not a big deal, unless this was the only game you got to see so far this SPL. Rambis said that Bynum hadn't played in a game for a long time before the SPL, so it's possible he was sucking wind and giving an uninspired performance.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Not a big deal, unless this was the only game you got to see so far this SPL. Rambis said that Bynum hadn't played in a game for a long time before the SPL, so it's possible he was sucking wind and giving an uninspired performance.

That describes me. My 1st game, Farmar out, Douthit out, Bynum barely breathing, I drove 90 miles to see that. So take my words with a grain of salt.
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Laker Lurker wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Freakout wrote:

Except that it sounds like he didn't do much of anything else either. Didn't fight for boards, didn't run the floor, didn't contest a lot of shots, didn't out muscle guys in the post... none of that has anything to do with Farmar. I have no doubt that offensive execution suffered without Farmar, and it's quite possible Bynum didn't get many good looks. But, from the descriptions of some of the other things he wasn't doing, it seems he gave into some fatigue. I doubt he was hurting too much from the knee or anything. Not a big deal, unless this was the only game you got to see so far this SPL. Rambis said that Bynum hadn't played in a game for a long time before the SPL, so it's possible he was sucking wind and giving an uninspired performance.

Andrew was awful today, just totally and completely awful in every facet of the game. If this was the first and only time I'd seen him, I'd consider him to be utterly worthless as a player prospect. Thank goodness we have the last several games to go by. I saw him on Saturday, but unfortunately missed the next two which sounded great. You can imagine my disappointment in having Farmar not play and Andrew out there stinking up the joint.

He was repeatedly beaten down court by every big man in the game, and maybe six times there was a play in which a player passed him in transition and got the ball for a score or two shots, and what made it infuriating is that even when he would clearly see someone getting out ahead of him he didn't speed up his lope. He just looked incredibly lazy today.

He was a step behind on everything he did, whether it was trying to rebound (mistimed jumps abounded), block shots (lots of people went into his area and executed some simple move like a spin and left him swatting at air), or retrieve lob passes. On several occasions he did a Shaq-like reverse when being partially fronted to free himself up for a lob, and the pass would come but Andrew couldn't seem to get himself off the ground to go get it. He looked tangled up in his own feet or just not able to set himself to jump for the ball.

Some of the other guys looked all right, but nothing special or exciting. Von Wafer continued to look semi-out-of-control, but did hit a few shots. Green did some good things, as did Kasib Powell, who led the team with 18 points and got hot in the fourth to put the game away. Marcus Slaughter was borderline great, with a Turiaf-like double blocked shot don't-come-in-here-with-that-weak-stuff sequence late in the game.

Pinnock and Perkins both played decently, and combined for several scintillating plays. One was where Perkins tipped a loose ball into the front court for Pinnock to run down a step ahead of a defender. When Pinnock got it, he jumped, lofted the ball slightly ahead of himself with his right hand, caught it in his right hand and then dunked it. It would have been traveling if he hadn't already been in the air when he did it. I don't remember seeing this before but I'm sure it was a controlled play and not a fumble.

People brought the ball into Bynum's area and all day and rarely paid the price. I think he blocked a couple but that's misleading if you saw all the times someone challenged him and scored. He also got at least one steal that was just a Dallas player throwing him the ball for some reason.

He got his shot blocked TWICE by Brian Boddicker, who looked to be about 6' 8" and not exactly an intimidating looking presence, and these were both on plays where Bynum had the ball RIGHT UNDER THE BASKET, and went to elevate but did so too weakly and got blocked on the way up. He needs to learn a few ways of either head-faking, and then pivoting, or using his butt to clear space so that he can power up and score when open underneath.

On another occasion, Bynum cut to the hoop from the free throw line and got a pass halfway, jumped up and bricked about a two footer. In the scramble for the rebound, Andrew lost track of the ball until it rolled out in front of his feet, and he bent down and picked it up about four feet to the left of the hoop. He had one man to beat who was standing underneath the hoop, and I thought he'd take one big step and throw it down. Instead, he took one tiny jump, went up and laid the ball up off glass, almost getting that one blocked. That was his one made field goal.

No elevation of any kind on any of his shots today, including one "jump" hook he took right in front of me that got him about four inches off the ground. This was after taking a few dribbles and presumably was a power move he'd been working on.

Lest you think I'm exaggerating or have some agenda here, the crowd was becoming noticeably peeved at Bynum, with several yells to trade him, and some general muttering around me and on the way out.

Oh, and the crowd favorite rapidly became the little Japanese guy, Yuka Tabuse, who was exciting and fun to watch with his hair flopping a la Steve Nash and making clever passes and launching successful threes.

Drew made a couple of good passes and that was it as far as I was concerned. Other than that, he may as well have been sitting by Farmar on the bench. I would guess that four out of his six assists were in the fourth quarter, a couple to Slaughter and a couple to Powell, both of whom got hot to put the game away.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:

That describes me. My 1st game, Farmar out, Douthit out, Bynum barely breathing, I drove 90 miles to see that. So take my words with a grain of salt.

Sorry to hear. Sounds like it was miserable. At least in the other games Bynum was doing something: 24 points...15 boards and 5 blocks... or beating everyone down the court multiple times in the first game for oops and dunks when he was getting fed in the post. Farmar, has strung together some of the better played SPL ball in a long while. Hopefully, you can get out to the next game and they decide to play with some passion.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject:

Can't make it Friday but will Saturday. Darn, that's another "afternoon after night" game. I might go next Tues and Wed also. One of these games I will see some fresh legs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: