Larry Sanders recently told some Bucks officials that he doesn't want to play basketball anymore.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wonder if he's eligible for a buyout. Of course he would really have to think hard about this. If he is truly unhappy then of course he should hang it up. But know that you are replaceable and there are plenty of hungry basketball players willing to take your place in the NBA.

Every player is eligible for a buyout at any time. All a buyout means is the player and team mutually agree to terminate his contract for a negotiated amount. The sticking point, of course, is that they have to find an amount that would make both the team and player happy. (And in case you wonder, the buyout amount is still considered salary, and applied to the cap.)
hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject:

TheGOATWears#24 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
How hard is it to just not try until you're benched? Seriously. He needs to learn from Andrew Bynum.

Sad to hear . Wonder what Bynum is doing nowadays..
sippin lattes from coffee bean....

no i'm not joking. thats where i first/last saw him right before the season started. The guy looked like he was in perfect condition. I almost thought about asking "lakers?" then i remembered. those knees.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

Why I Walked Away From the NBA [VIDEO]
Feb 25 2015 Larry Sanders
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/larry-sanders-exclusive-interview/

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

Good luck to Larry. Pro ball should be the least of his concerns.
mbright
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Still don't know what exactly is he trying to do instead of pro ball.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject:

mbright wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

smoke weed
mbright
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
mbright wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

smoke weed

Why does that prevent him from playing? He has to smoke the whole day?
It's just a hobby, and not a good one. Can't he smoke after games?

I mean normally, people quite a job either becuase there is a better (paid) one, or there is another job he like better. Never heard of someone quit a job just so that he can smoke all the time, unless his health does not allow him to do the job.

Well, I'm from Asia so I guess people think differently on what's important for life.
EldenCampbell
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject:

mbright wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Establish and maintain his mental and emotional health?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject:

He didn't enjoy it any longer. He made his millions. He has enough to last a lifetime if he is careful with his money. Some people just don't enjoy the pro athlete lifestyle, constant traveling and media attention.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Bucks got off the hook of his salary pretty easily too. It's about $2M and under for the next 7 years
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:

Royce Whitish
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
Royce Whitish

Not sure where you even make that comparison. Royce White only played in a grand total of 3, count them 3, NBA games in his brief NBA career.
Larry Sanders on the other hand played 237 games over 5 years. It apparently, didn't make him happy that he was willing to walk away from the rest of his contract.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:
Royce Whitish

Not sure where you even make that comparison. Royce White only played in a grand total of 3, count them 3, NBA games in his brief NBA career.
Larry Sanders on the other hand played 237 games over 5 years. It apparently, didn't make him happy that he was willing to walk away from the rest of his contract.

Comparison is on the weird motives, and the potential wasted.
White played in the NBDL, and vanished after those 3 games (expect some violence charge).
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:

mbright wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Spend his time with his family
See the world
Spend his time doing charity/ helping others
Work on his emotional stability
Get high ever day

You do realize there are infinite options aside from bouncing a ball and chasing dollar signs...
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Good luck to him. My wife is a psychologist, and I manage her private practice. There are a lot of misconceptions and stigmas attached to mental health issues. I hope he continues to get help for his anxiety and depression.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Yes, some things are much more important than basketball. Well, many many things are.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/07/report-bucks-will-be-paying-larry-sanders-for-the-next-seven-years/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Royce White take note...this is how you should have done it....
Anybody know what he's up to these days?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/larry-sanders-is-officially-stepping-back-into-the-game-two-years-after-walking-away-from-the-nba-170530346.html

Quote:
Larry Sanders is 'officially stepping back into the game' two years after walking away from the NBA

Two years after Larry Sanders walked away from a lucrative NBA contract and checked himself into a program for anxiety, depression and mood disorders following four violations of the league’s marijuana policy, the former Milwaukee Bucks big man is “officially stepping back into the game.”

Follow
Larry Sanders ✔ @l8show_thegoat
Officially stepping back into the game,looking for a good fit but it shouldn't be long now,I really missed the game,I think it missed me 2 🛐
8:12 PM - 26 Jan 2017
1,275 1,275 Retweets 2,420 2,420 likes

Sanders has been hinting about a comeback for weeks on social media, teasing Celtics fans with a series of cryptic tweets that included, “Coming to a city near you,” “Boston for New Year’s” and “Damn that was a good workout.” So, it should come as little surprise that this more official announcement coincided with reports he had indeed worked out with the C’s, first reported by RealGM’s Keith Smith.

Of course, Sanders also made veiled references to the Warriors and Cavaliers over the summer and more recently tagged his location at training sessions in Miami and Los Angeles, so we shouldn’t read too much into one destination as a potential landing spot. The good news is that — two years removed from telling The Players’ Tribune, “I love basketball, and if I get to a point where I feel I’m capable of playing basketball again, I will,” — he’s seemingly mentally healthy enough for a comeback.

However troubled, Sanders was a rising star in 2013, placing seventh in Defensive Player of the Year voting at age 24 and securing a four-year, $44 million contract extension from Milwaukee. Over the next 16 months, Sanders allegedly injured his thumb in a bar fight, openly endorsed marijuana use and reportedly walked off the job, leading to a series of suspensions and prolonged absences.

That culminated in Sanders negotiating a buyout that would pay him nearly half of the extension despite playing just 27 games in the first year of his new deal. By way of the stretch provision, Sanders remains on Milwaukee’s books for $1.9 million per season through 2022. Sanders later revealed his reasons for abruptly leaving the NBA — from fear for his mental and physical well-being to a strong desire to pursue artistic endeavors — in interviews with both The Players’ Tribune and Vice Sports.

It is for all of these reasons we should not be shocked by this report from MassLive.com’s Jay King on Sanders’ Celtics session: “A source suggested he did not look overly impressive during the workout.”

[Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Basketball | Mock Draft | The Vertical | Latest news]

Still, there is reason to be intrigued by a 28-year-old near-7-footer with hops who was the answer to questions raised by Kirk Goldsberry and Eric Weiss about the NBA’s best interior defender at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, and who made this statement to Vice just five months ago:

“You want to see me create? Watch me play defense,” said Sanders. “Because I’m thrilled by it. I love playing defense, I love watching how guys move and who’s on the cut. I love anticipating blocks. I love contesting shots, altering shots. I love it. I love guarding somebody. I hate if someone scores on me — I hate that! I’m driven by it, man. It fuels me.”
Sanders averaged 12.9 points, 12.5 rebounds and 3.7 blocks per 36 minutes in his last full season. In essence, he was DeAndre Jordan and Rudy Gobert before DeAndre Jordan and Rudy Gobert. But that was four years ago, and it’s been 766 days since he last played in earnest, so there is also reason to be skeptical of a player who left the game behind following a series of issues on the court and off it. Any team offering Sanders another shot would need to be reassured of his commitment to basketball and the responsibilities that come with being a pro, including, however archaic, the NBA marijuana policy.

Here’s hoping a potential return means Sanders has come to grips with the inner demons that led him away from the NBA, because the last thing anybody wants to see is for those to return along with him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: