Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Question.

Assume the Lakers have the 4th pick.

Okafor, Towns and Russell go the first 3

You have the choices of Mudiay or Johnson in front of you.

Would you try to trade that pick to the Jazz for Exum and their pick?

Willie Cauley Stein, Kristaps Porzingis, Mario Hezonja.

Clarkson took over Exum's spot.

Jazz pick will be around 8-10.

I think that's worth the gamble that one o them is left and if not you still can draft Justise Winslow.

And then you have the Houston pick as well in addition to that.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Question.

I think that's worth the gamble that one o them is left and if not you still can draft Justise Winslow.

The Lakers already have 4 picks. As much as I have a lot of hope for Exum's upside, I don't think it's worth letting go of #4-6.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Question.

The Lakers already have 4 picks. As much as I have a lot of hope for Exum's upside, I don't think it's worth letting go of #4-6.

They do but also consider the kind of team the Lakers could put together with that.

Hezjona may still be there around 8-10 as well as everyone else really mentioned, at 'worst' you'd land Winslow with that pick.

Imagine getting out of the 2015 Draft with Dante Exum, Justise Winslow and Caris LeVert with the Houston pick.

I KNOW that people really aren't high on Deandre Jordan but we could afford to try to land him this off-season(or Marc Gasol) and this is the lineup we can put out there next year

Jordan Clarkson
Kobe Bryant
Justise Winslow
Julius Randle
Deandre Jordan

Bench:
Dante Exum
Caris LeVert
Nick Young
Ryan Kelly
Ed Davis / Tarik Black

now that's not a bad lineup by any stretch of the imagination and it lands us both a defensive 3 and 5 setup and we pick the most likely 'better' forward in Winslow than using the 4th on one like Johnson, and LeVert can cover the future 2 spot and Exum is either going to win the start from Clarkson when he's ready or be relegated to the bench but he'll be developed the right way.

Not to mention all that talent would be signed long term WITH the cap space coming up next season and it's a young core and we can go for talent at our weak points.

I think Hezjona may be available by then. 8-10 on some mocks is

8. Mario Hezjona
9. Kelly Oubre
10. Justise Winslow

Utah will have pick 8-10

Either one of those three pairing with Exum I'd take over WCS and just go after paying for Deandre Jordan. especially with the upcoming cap jump.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Draft express has us taking Rj hunter with the Houston pick. He looks legit.

Am I the only one who is lukewarm on RJ Hunter? 39%FG.

Tremendous range.

Opportunistic slasher. Average speed. Sometimes erratic shot selection because of reliance on jumpshot.

Though, admittedly, I could say that Curry and Klay Thompson have erratic shot selection as well.

But, both are MUCH better are attacking the hoop.

Going by DX mock, I prefer Kris Dunn or Star Wars. Dunn is the "safe, athletic pick" and Star Wars is the high risk, high reward pick.

I think he has a skillset that Id love to develop.
I still think he's a pure shooter even though his 3pt% has dropped. And I think he's more of a natural ball handler than Klay. Klay developed with the Warriors, to be able to get take guys off the dribble - and he's still often reliant on having a step on the trailing defender coming off screens, to beat his man off the dribble. RJ is more comfortable being ball dominant than Klay was up until this year. Don't get me wrong, RJ doesn't quite have the skill of a combo gaurd off the dribble, but Its tantalizing IMO to try to get him there -- if he can progress just one more level off the dribble , and get his stroke back - then he can be a really good scorer, predominantly creating 3s for himself off the dribble. That's where I'd like his game to progress. ( and of course catch and shoots and coming off screens too)
Like a Wes Mathews offensively but being able to create his own 3pt shot better.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject:

Just re-watched Kris Dunn highlights. hes no doubt faster than Mudiay! Muahaha!! Take that Mudiay fans.
Almost 6-4 , long, a legit blur , good handles(maybe great), good defender, willing passer.
Im pretty excited to add another candidate That I'd be ecstatic to come up w/ with the Houston pick. I watched his highlights in the other thread a month ago, but I didn't watch closely enough , plus I was confused about his height becuase DX has him listed at two different heights. I believe the 6-4 listing tho he looks it.

Look at the back to back dunks from 2:20 to 2:40. The steal and breakaway speed on the 2nd one is enough to make you fall in love. He's a ballhawk. Really quick defender with his feet and apparently is good w the steals too.
He's brandon knight quick with his dribble moves, hes got torque in his dribble moves/change of direction/stop on a dime. And his jumper is decent too.

He's #1 on my Houston pick wish list I think.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Dunn's high on my list for the Houston pick too, KeepItReal. I have Tyus Jones & Jerian Grant ahead of him, but I think they'll be gone. IMO, he's the best player of the guys who are likely to be available at that point.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Draft express has us taking Rj hunter with the Houston pick. He looks legit.

Am I the only one who is lukewarm on RJ Hunter? 39%FG.

Tremendous range.

Opportunistic slasher. Average speed. Sometimes erratic shot selection because of reliance on jumpshot.

Though, admittedly, I could say that Curry and Klay Thompson have erratic shot selection as well.

But, both are MUCH better are attacking the hoop.

Going by DX mock, I prefer Kris Dunn or Star Wars. Dunn is the "safe, athletic pick" and Star Wars is the high risk, high reward pick.

I think he has a skillset that Id love to develop.
I still think he's a pure shooter even though his 3pt% has dropped. And I think he's more of a natural ball handler than Klay. Klay developed with the Warriors, to be able to get take guys off the dribble - and he's still often reliant on having a step on the trailing defender coming off screens, to beat his man off the dribble. RJ is more comfortable being ball dominant than Klay was up until this year. Don't get me wrong, RJ doesn't quite have the skill of a combo gaurd off the dribble, but Its tantalizing IMO to try to get him there -- if he can progress just one more level off the dribble , and get his stroke back - then he can be a really good scorer, predominantly creating 3s for himself off the dribble. That's where I'd like his game to progress. ( and of course catch and shoots and coming off screens too)
Like a Wes Mathews offensively but being able to create his own 3pt shot better.

He looks really smooth out there and plays like the game comes easy for him. He's also an underrated athelete. I think he's going to be a better pro than booker and he's going to be taken at the end of the first early second so he's a value pick. I'm not too high on him either but we could do worse with that pick.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Dunn's high on my list for the Houston pick too, KeepItReal. I have Tyus Jones & Jerian Grant ahead of him, but I think they'll be gone. IMO, he's the best player of the guys who are likely to be available at that point.

I expect Dunn to go in the lottery. It won't be until after the combine but he will definately sneak into the lottery. He has all of the same weaknesses as mudiay and is only a year older. There's also no question that he's an elite level athelete. He plays the game at a very controlled pace but he has extra gears and that first step is lightening quick. Makes him seem even faster because he seems to have the ball on the string. Nice handle that will only get better.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject:

This is who I want with one of the second rounders.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gary-Payton-II-88099/

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject:

So many solid PGs late lotto through the end of the 1st round, mikeLGs been saying it but now looking at it, it's pretty interesting. I like all the ones with good size,even Delon Wright. I'm not sold on Tyus 6foot flat self at the next level, idk. And he might not even come out actually.
I need to watch more of Grant.. what are his strengths? Is he as good shooting from the perimeter as he showed in his big Duke game?

@picknpop, I hope he falls to 25, not sure he will tho, although mocks have him there or later. I saw a report that like a dozen NBA scouts went to one of his games this season. I'm with them, I think he has really interesting potential. I'll just be honest with myself he's my dream pick with the Houston pick. Then Dunn or George Lucas would make me super happy too.
Like I said I just really like RJs possible potential of being able to create his own 3 point shot.
And ya you just posted about Dunn being a workout warrior. You're definetely right, I think he could be crazy impressive in workouts - he's fast as hell, and quick with the dribble moves too
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
So many solid PGs late lotto through the end of the 1st round, mikeLGs been saying it but now looking at it, it's pretty interesting. I like all the ones with good size,even Delon Wright. I'm not sold on Tyus 6foot flat self at the next level, idk. And he might not even come out actually.
I need to watch more of Grant.. what are his strengths? Is he as good shooting from the perimeter as he showed in his big Duke game?

@picknpop, I hope he falls to 25, not sure he will tho, although mocks have him there or later. I saw a report that like a dozen NBA scouts went to one of his games this season. I'm with them, I think he has really interesting potential. I'll just be honest with myself he's my dream pick with the Houston pick. Then Dunn or George Lucas would make me super happy too.
Like I said I just really like RJs possible potential of being able to create his own 3 point shot.
And ya you just posted about Dunn being a workout warrior. You're definetely right, I think he could be crazy impressive in workouts - he's fast as hell, and quick with the dribble moves too

It's part of the reason why I do not *necessarily* want to draft D'Angelo Russell, and also why I have WCS, Hezonja, and Porzingis so high.

If Russell showed that John Wall speed, I'd think differently. I see the skills package. I don't see the elite speed.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Fundamental playmaker at 6'6" 225. Uses one change of direction on his defender, then a straight line. Has the size, physique, and wingspan to finish effectively. Better A/TO ratio than A LOT of NCAA PGs, but does it at a SG slot. He is a solid combo guard.

It's an average defender at best, doing well off-ball and being physical. He needs to improve on his jumpshot, which is solid, but not stellar, but get rid of the flatfootedness around it.

In transition, he's a freight train.

Proven against elite comp.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Wow he looks interesting actually. He might be an AMAZING athlete. even at his controlled jogging pace he's fast, effortlessly; springy like a Bledsoe.. And the dunk in the 2nd video, he took off like nothing, like he was chilling and then jumped over a dude completely. He might be a Bledsoe type athlete. His pace was interesting in that video, reminded of isaiah Thomas in college. About to watch more of those team highlights and catch his plays.

Can he shoot?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Wow he looks interesting actually. He might be an AMAZING athlete. even at his controlled jogging pace he's fast, effortlessly; springy like a Bledsoe.. And the dunk in the 2nd video, he took off like nothing, like he was chilling and then jumped over a dude completely. He might be a Bledsoe type athlete. His pace was interesting in that video, reminded of isaiah Thomas in college. About to watch more of those team highlights and catch his plays.

Can he shoot?

No. He's not even a true PG, but he has shown instinct.

But, I want you to look at his rebounds, steals, and block rate, at his size.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Ya, he can jump out of the gym, he's one of those freak 6'3 leapers. Dunk on the first play was light work for him,he slowed down and didn't jump hard, and he cocked it back with 2 hands...
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject:

WOOAH, I didn't even watch the end of the vid I just posted. He did a 360 easy. lol. And caught a one hand oop.
AND he blocked 3 shots, 2 on a bigman a single play. That's how u can tell he has a knack for the ball defensively.

He's marketed as a defender right? So he has great defensive stats to back that up too. And From the eye test what does he look like defensively? Amazing?

I don't mind the mechanics on his jumper at all. And he has nice touch at the rim.
Isn't a triple double guy? Even though he's not a natural PG.. Weird

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
WOOAH, I didn't even watch the end of the vid I just posted. He did a 360 easy. lol. And caught a one hand oop.
AND he blocked 3 shots, 2 on a bigman a single play. That's how u can tell he has a knack for the ball defensively.

He's marketed as a defender right? So he has great defensive stats to back that up too. From the eye test what does he look like defensively? Amazing?

I don't mind the mechanics on his jumper at all. And he has nice touch at the rim.
Isn't a triple double guy? Even though he's not a natural PG.. Weird

He's the son of The Glove. There's something about wingspan, active hands, and baseball reflexes.

He has good mechanics on his jumper, so I'm not concerned about adding range.

And, as I said, not a natural PG. Gets away with a few instincts, basically hitting shooters in the corners and transition passes, but underdeveloped in terms of breaking down a defense with screens or off the dribble, and creating a play while changing direction.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject:

Gp2 is a legit player. His blocks are ridiculous, he had 7 in a game. He's as springy as Eric Bledsoe.
Offensively he has skill too. How low he gets turning corners and then exploding for layups reminds me of a Isaiah Thomas, floaters too, and his pace and demeanor is completely I.T. at Washington. He has some passing instincts, can make a nice anticipatory pass every once in a while.
Just wana see him improve changing direction and going full speed sometimes. His shot is decent, it could become consistent, he drains jumpers- midrange or 3s in every game highlight/recap I watched..
And defensively is where he'll make his name. He seems really strong too. I wonder how quick he is, becuase he's elite elite bouncy, but always plays at a slow pace. I wana see him play 1v1 D and then play with some speed on O - use that superfreak athleticism more.

He's my guy for our first 2nd round pick now.
We're guna get a haul of serious talent in this draft, there's tooo many nice prospects from 20-40 , for us not to come away with at least one really good project in that range

This is a MUST watch for his skills

And the last 30 seconds here is a must watch for his leaping (2dunks including a 360)

He could be the next Isaiah Thomas(depends on his J) but with great defense to boot, at 6-2
Not even joking about this kid
watch his 4 contested layups in this vid. Great touch and elevation on his layups, again, looks like I.T. to me in his first two years , before he was just a chucker.

His 4 block game,crazy flying blocks. he's also the pac12 leader in steals. And he dunked on someone in this vid.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

article on mudiay in china:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/assessing-the-emmanuel-mudiay-experiment-in-china/

still like his size, change of pace, court vision, and motor.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Opinions on Dez Wells from Maryland?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
article on mudiay in china:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/assessing-the-emmanuel-mudiay-experiment-in-china/

still like his size, change of pace, court vision, and motor.

Those are the qualities that'll have him as a Top 10 pick for sure.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

I like him. He's a lot more skilled off the dribble than I expected. Watched his Wisconsin highlights and his dribble moves were extremely impressive for a wing. he also looks really athletic, had a big dunk in the halfcourt, and looks to have speed.
I've only seen that game, but now I'm interested.

Plus he's shooting 50% from 3 on the year...
I'm interested, even though I don't love 6'4 SGs.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

I like him. He's a lot more skilled off the dribble than I expected. Watched his Wisconsin highlights and his dribble moves were extremely impressive for a wing. he also looks really athletic, had a big dunk in the halfcourt, and looks to have speed.
I've only seen that game, but now I'm interested.

Plus he's shooting 50% from 3 on the year...
I'm interested, even though I don't love 6'4 SGs.

Yeah he looked great in that game, but that's more or less the extent that I've seen him too. Definitely looks to be VERY athletic, he's got quite a few highlight dunks this year. In any case, he seems to be the leader of that team and is putting up big numbers on a ranked team in a good conference. He could definitely be a guy that we take a chance on in the 2nd. Screams "Mitch pick" to me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Having the possibility of 3 top 35 picks is a great feeling. We may not keep all or use a pick on an international stash player but nice to be active possibly on draft night.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
http://youtu.be/PkArJK5bjjg Ya, he can jump out of the gym, he's one of those freak 6'3 leapers. Dunk on the first play was light work for him,he slowed down and didn't jump hard, and he cocked it back with 2 hands...

Quite the athlete. I liked how he blocked the bigs shot twice on that one play.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 26 of 36
Jump to: