Anybody watch Empire KTTV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

@TooCool

You could say the show is "catered towards Blacks" because it has a mostly Black cast.

Leaving that aside the series has much to offer. Same sex relationships, family infighting, love triangle, murder discovered and covered up, death on the doorstep for a main character, will the wife get the husband back. Man, there so much going on it makes the series very much a must watch.

Because the cast is mostly Black it will most likely be viewed by some as a Black show instead of viewing it for it's entertainment value and acting prowess.

I have a newfound respect for the acting ability of Taraji P Henson. She's come a long way from Hustle and Flow and Baby Boy.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject:

Empire fans: Due to a sharp change in ratings, we're SPEECHLESS to report that the show

LINK

It lists ages watching the show not the demographic breakdown. I'd like to know the latter.

It's really a show for all.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
@TooCool

You could say the show is "catered towards Blacks" because it has a mostly Black cast.

Leaving that aside the series has much to offer. Same sex relationships, family infighting, love triangle, murder discovered and covered up, death on the doorstep for a main character, will the wife get the husband back. Man, there so much going on it makes the series very much a must watch.

Because the cast is mostly Black it will most likely be viewed by some as a Black show instead of viewing it for it's entertainment value and acting prowess.

I have a newfound respect for the acting ability of Taraji P Henson. She's come a long way from Hustle and Flow and Baby Boy.

She was awesome in CBS' Person of Interest too. That role vs Cookie shows how much range she has. I'm really a fan of hers now.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject:

That's the thing, because it's an all black cast it's considered a show catered towards black people. Does that mean that most TV(which have all white main characters) are catered towards white people?

To me, it's just dumb. If a show's good, it's good and viewers should find it appealing regardless of the race of the cast. OTOH, if the cast was switched with all white people in these roles as Lucious, Hakeem, Cookie, etc, it wouldn't be believable- IMO anyway. How that's relevant, I don't know but just my two cents.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
That's the thing, because it's an all black cast it's considered a show catered towards black people. Does that mean that most TV(which have all white main characters) are catered towards white people?

To me, it's just dumb. If a show's good, it's good and viewers should find it appealing regardless of the race of the cast. OTOH, if the cast was switched with all white people in these roles as Lucious, Hakeem, Cookie, etc, it wouldn't be believable- IMO anyway. How that's relevant, I don't know but just my two cents.

Selling the show is paramount. It's perception, stereotype.

If a show about Kung Fu is aired with Asians the main characters it could be aired with a Caucasian playing a Asian. e.g. David Carradine, Kung Fu.

Hip Hop is linked to African Americans. It would be a difficult sell if the main characters were Caucasians.

Hope it gets popular enough too go to cable. Let it all hang out, Tupac, Suge, Ice Tea, Ice Cube, Dre, Biggie Smalls.

Side note: It's not an all Black cast.

PNG98
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

The guest star roles could go a long way in helping reach a broader audience. Had it not been for Courtney Love's appearance, I doubt I would've ever given it a chance. I went back and watched from the beginning and am impressed with Taraji. Loved her on POI and am digging Cookie's subtle evolution. I believe she'll realize she's outgrown the ex and move on to better things. She needs closure and the hookup was the first step in the process.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

PNG98 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The guest star roles could go a long way in helping reach a broader audience. Had it not been for Courtney Love's appearance, I doubt I would've ever given it a chance. I went back and watched from the beginning and am impressed with Taraji. Loved her on POI and am digging Cookie's subtle evolution. I believe she'll realize she's outgrown the ex and move on to better things. She needs closure and the hookup was the first step in the process.

They've had stars like Cuba Gooden Jr and Gladys Knight on in cameos. Courtney Love was a great addition. She gave guest appearances variety.

frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject:

I wish they would've took the story a little further with Jamal's baby mama.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
I wish they would've took the story a little further with Jamal's baby mama.
Is that over? I thought I saw something in the coming attractions about it. I though the little girl said I want to see my daddy.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject:

In tonight's episode the photographer doing the shoot revealed he's gay. I thought Jamal was going to get a new man.

Is it me or does it look like Taraji had some work done on her breast? They look much larger than they did when she allowed them to be shown in Baby Boy.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Andre tried to kill himself. Lucious is not only homophobic he doesn't like Andre because his wife is White. Looks like Jamal and Hakeem are going to mend fences.

Can't wait for next week. The previews were awesome. Lucious finds out his wife too be is a traitor. Looks like another OK Corral is about to go down.

Only three more to go and a lot is really up in the air. I'm happy they've been picked up next season but I wish the show had gone cable.

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Really good episode. I'm glad they went more in depth on Jamal and Hakeem killing their beef because when it just happened all of the sudden the episode before, I was like "really? that's it? just a happy family now?".

I gathered that Andre pulled the trigger not knowing he forgot to turn off the safety but not 100% sure on that. He's a freakin mess though.

Also finding out Cookie is behind the song was a nice touch. When Jamal came out and Lucious had the flashbacks was is out of anger(from coming out) or out of regret for treating his son that way? I couldn't figure out what they were trying to say with those flashbacks...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Really good episode. I'm glad they went more in depth on Jamal and Hakeem killing their beef because when it just happened all of the sudden the episode before, I was like "really? that's it? just a happy family now?".

I gathered that Andre pulled the trigger not knowing he forgot to turn off the safety but not 100% sure on that. He's a freakin mess though.

Also finding out Cookie is behind the song was a nice touch. When Jamal came out and Lucious had the flashbacks was is out of anger(from coming out) or out of regret for treating his son that way? I couldn't figure out what they were trying to say with those flashbacks...

Andre's been slipping in the last 2 episodes. Crying in the shower now putting a gun to his head.

Lucious is a homophobic racist. He's going to have more reason to hate when he finds out his photographer is also gay.

He doesn't like Jamal because he's gay, he doesn't like Andre because he married a White woman.

Vernon Turner (Malik Yoba) is turning out to be a disappointment. He seems to be as sneaky as Andre.

I think Cookie and Lucious are going to re-unite and their family will heal only to disintegrate, reintegrate.

They writers are going to find a way to leave viewers with a cliff hanger.

Side note: Power is back in 2 weeks. LINK

PNG98
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Andre's been slipping in the last 2 episodes. Crying in the shower now putting a gun to his head.

Lucious is a homophobic racist. He's going to have more reason to hate when he finds out his photographer is also gay.

He doesn't like Jamal because he's gay, he doesn't like Andre because he married a White woman.

Vernon Turner (Malik Yoba) is turning out to be a disappointment. He seems to be as sneaky as Andre.

I think Cookie and Lucious are going to re-unite and their family will heal only to disintegrate, reintegrate.

But his fiancée's father is white Lucious is using and playing everybody! A bullet might take him out before the ALS does.

I believe either the security guard or video/photographer guy is working for the feds, Beretti, or the fiancée.

The show gets better each week. Tomorrow's episode looks intense.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject:

PNG98 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

But his fiancée's father is white Lucious is using and playing everybody! A bullet might take him out before the ALS does.

I believe either the security guard or video/photographer guy is working for the feds, Beretti, or the fiancée.

The show gets better each week. Tomorrow's episode looks intense.

That's right!!??

I wonder why he told Andre he betrayed family when he bought that White woman in his house?

The fiancee got busted. Cookie found out she was working with Beretti.

The episode ended showing Everybody's Got A Pistol, Everybody's Got A 45. Yeah it's going to be intense.

I have it auto tuned.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

There was no real intensity this week. It was mostly about signing artists.

Cookie, as usual, stole the show. She's straight gangsta. She played the role when talking to the rappers in the studio with the bullet holes in the door glass.

When Derek Luke, Lucious's body, saved her she was tow up from da flo up. She opened her legs in the car, told him come on, I won't tell. I cracked up.

Andre lost it. He's in a mental institution. Anika is working with Beretti. Fox got a little racy when she did a Sharon Stone move. If this had been cable it would have not been shadowed. Whoa

I wonder if the voices belong to the artists doing the singing? All have very nice singing voices.

It's getting down to the wire. Next week should be anti climatic. Followed by something that will cause viewers to return next season.

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I too was wondering if they're really the ones singing. I'm gonna have to download that main song, I really like it.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Think they are auto-tuned most of the times, specially Jamal. He might have a nice voice like in the elevator scene this week but his voice sounds very fake when he's performing. This is probably the only thing that bugs me from the series. Everything else is great.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject:

I see I'm not the only one wondering! I pulled this It reads as though the artist are really singing but I believe there is some enhancement.

Jamal/Jussie Smollett Nice interview. It reveals something I should have known from watching, Andre is bipolar.

Lucious is dealing with a lot. Gangsta wife, gay son, bipolar son, rebellious son, villainous competition, jealous fiancee and death at the door step. DAMN!!!!

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

'Empire' star Jussie Smollet confirms he's gay

LINK

It's Hollywood, nothing new.

IMO coming out will limit the characters he'll be asked to play. I think in that sense it's going to stunt his artistic growth.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Enjoying Empire - deeper than I expected. Taraji Henson and Howard are so good. Cookie runs the show, so full of love for her boys and driven. The scene where Lucious is telling Andre "They will never accept you!" pretty powerful and something you don't see that much.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

I like the family dynamic of the show, it's interesting how different they all are and their various issues, and the acting of Cookie & Lucious is great too.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
I like the family dynamic of the show, it's interesting how different they all are and their various issues, and the acting of Cookie & Lucious is great too.

Taraji P Henson's made a fan of me. I liked her in Baby Boy and Person of Interest but those were about character acting. She's elevated her talent level in my eyes 300%. She's the Matt Damon (Jason Bourne) she can be imitated, never replaced. Her range is unlimited, IME.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Moses wrote:

Taraji P Henson's made a fan of me. I liked her in Baby Boy and Person of Interest but those were about character acting. She's elevated her talent level in my eyes 300%. She's the Matt Damon (Jason Bourne) she can be imitated, never replaced. Her range is unlimited, IME.

Did you see her in Hustle n Flow? Totally different character, meek quiet cautious. I think she was the gf in a DC DJ biopic, Talk To Me or something like that. Don Cheadle was in it. Cookie-ish character, really good movie.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Tonight's ep was nuts. Lots of stuff happened prepping for the finale. Some kinda off the wall. Andre's story is interesting. Lucious' denial and crappy parenting, take 2. Lola is about the cutest kid I've ever seen. And Cookie in the office room thinking there was a camera on her, wow lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: