Denver has fired coach Brian Shaw
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Another Phil disciple bites the dust. I wonder why all his assistants sucks so much.

Rambis was putrid because he didn't know talent. thought Darko was better than Jefferson. Either went along or didn't talk his GM out of Flynn over Curry. Got Wes instead of Cousins (I knew he didn't want Cousins)

Fish has a tough task but still, his record sucks but he's still there.

Shaw done.

Only Phil disciple in name is Kerr but he was much more, having picked up a few things under Pop. At least Kerr wasn't tainted actually working under Phil.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject:

^A lot of his assistants coached really terrible teams. That may not explain everything but it explains a lot. There is a reason why Kerr wanted to coach the Warriors instead of the Knicks. Does anybody think he would be winning in New York this year? Have him trade teams with Fisher and we know who would get more wins.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Shaw got the shaft. He inherited a 36 46 team a very young team.

I don't excuse him. His teams mantra 1 2 3 - 6 weeks tells a lot about his ability to lead men.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject:

^^^^^
What? Karl won 57 games the year before with pretty much the same team!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I don't excuse him. His teams mantra 1 2 3 - 6 weeks tells a lot about his ability to lead men.

Dude he COACHED that 36-46 team. They won 57 wins the year prior.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:

Only Phil disciple in name is Kerr but he was much more, having picked up a few things under Pop. At least Kerr wasn't tainted actually working under Phil.

If anything, i would say Kerr is more of pop disciple instead.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
DimesnD wrote:

If anything, i would say Kerr is more of pop disciple instead.

Yeah, he's definitely not running the tri.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Wrong.
Shaw inherited a team in which George Karl got the NBA coach of the year award, overachieved and won 57 games...they thought they could do better with Shaw and lead them further in the playoffs...instead its been a disaster of epic proportions. Failing to make the playoffs last year, with a 36-46 record and a 21-39 record this year. It was obviously the wrong move by the Denver front office to can Coach Karl.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
magical.lakers wrote:
not his fault bad team

That team with largely the same core won 57 games before Shaw got his grubby paws on it.

No Andre Iguodala...........lets face it George Karl maximized the talent of that bunch.

Andre "7.6 PPG" Iguodala.

Iggy wasn't averaging 7.6 while playing in Denver....
His PPG was 13.0 while in Denver.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Denver needs to run and gun. Faried in a half court setting is worthless.

Run and gun probably makes the most sense...
They are not going to get a championship caliber coach just because of the market they are in.
They play in a high attitude, so using a system where they can take advantage of tiring out their opponents in the thin mountain air makes a lot of sense.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

He inherited a 57 win team (although in his defense, I think the roster was weaker when he took over). He was never going to have that type of success in his first couple of years so in a way it was tougher for him. George Karl raised expectations in Denver which made it easier for people to be impatient with Shaw.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He inherited a 57 win team (although in his defense, I think the roster was weaker when he took over). He was never going to have that type of success in his first couple of years so in a way it was tougher for him. George Karl raised expectations in Denver which made it easier for people to be impatient with Shaw.

I don't think losing Iggy would result in -21 wins the next season. Obviously there was a lot of things wrong with the team that caused their performance to drop off so much. Coaching was one of them.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't think losing Iggy would result in -21 wins the next season. Obviously there was a lot of things wrong with the team that caused their performance to drop off so much. Coaching was one of them.

I don't either and the Nuggets are on track for an even worse season this year. You combine that with all the internal problems they're having and management saw no positive future sticking with Shaw.

I don't put it all on Shaw. Nuggets ownership can't seem to stand success. They built a good team under Kiki Vandeweghe, fired him, tore down the team he built, and started over. Then, Ujiri comes in rebuilds the team, wins EOY, bolts for Toronto and they proceed to dismantle that team and start over again.

Shaw may get another opportunity for the big chair but don't see it happening any time soon unless it's a situation where he becomes an interim head coach and finishes the season strong.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

lol and ppl actually wanted Shaw to coach the lakers
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo, lakersken80, Steve007

Dyslexia, I was looking at his record wrong. Shaw's ability to be a head coach took a big hit.

Shut up C M B you too 24

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
I feel like it's a little notch in Phil Jackson's belt that he won all of those titles with assistants who were utter disasters when given head coaching gigs: Cleamons, Rambis, Shaw. Even poor Hamblen on the interim basis. It's not like he was Bill Walsh with a staff of Holmgren, Reid, Gruden, Denny Green, etc. It's a bit like how Belichick's assistants have been, for the most part, failures as head coaches. I think it shows the guy deserves a bit of credit that he doesn't always get because "Derp, anyone can win with Jordan/Shaq/Kobe."

Everyone says that Tex Winter was the brains behind the operation
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
spflakers wrote:
I feel like it's a little notch in Phil Jackson's belt that he won all of those titles with assistants who were utter disasters when given head coaching gigs: Cleamons, Rambis, Shaw. Even poor Hamblen on the interim basis. It's not like he was Bill Walsh with a staff of Holmgren, Reid, Gruden, Denny Green, etc. It's a bit like how Belichick's assistants have been, for the most part, failures as head coaches. I think it shows the guy deserves a bit of credit that he doesn't always get because "Derp, anyone can win with Jordan/Shaq/Kobe."

Yeah they do, although they apparently forget he wasn't on the bench for the 09 and 10 titles. It does call back the fun days here when a poster who hated Phil argued that the "late" John Bach deserved all the credit for the Bulls titles. Lowest_Merion I'm sure remembers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:

It bodes well for him as a head coach if you regard winning and not developing others. It doesn't bode well for him in his current position, he needs to lead and develop his staff, and he hasn't shown he is capable of that.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
defense wrote:
spflakers wrote:

Yeah they do, although they apparently forget he wasn't on the bench for the 09 and 10 titles. It does call back the fun days here when a poster who hated Phil argued that the "late" John Bach deserved all the credit for the Bulls titles. Lowest_Merion I'm sure remembers.

3 letters, starts with an H?
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
spflakers wrote:
defense wrote:
spflakers wrote:

That's a good guess, I thought it was him too. H__ said that if the Lakers hired a defensive-genius type of coach (Tom, Mike Brown, Van Gundy), they would win a title. I won't forget the time when celebrated Mike Brown's hiring. It was some other poster.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=1755880
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
KG on DEN:"They quit on Brian Shaw, I thought they'd quit again. A quitter is a quitter.""

spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
spflakers wrote:
defense wrote:
spflakers wrote:

Yes. Yes it was.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Quote:
KG on DEN:"They quit on Brian Shaw, I thought they'd quit again. A quitter is a quitter.""

KG keep talking....we needed your crappy team to beat Denver and you guys couldn't do it....
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
spflakers wrote:

Completely unrelated. But have you met James Harden?
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
spflakers wrote:
defense wrote:
spflakers wrote:

Yes. Yes it was.

HBA. What a POS that guy was.

!...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: