LAKERS vs CELTICS: Race to the next championship
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: LAKERS vs CELTICS: Race to the next championship

It pains me to say this but right now they are ahead of us in the rebuild. They just beat Memphis last night without Isaiah Thomas and they might even make the playoffs this year. I know it's the weak eastern conference but making the playoffs will accomplish two things for them. It will give them much needed playoff experience and it could attract quality free agents. The only thing I really care about is what franchise will get the next championship. I am still hoping we will get #17 before they get #18 but right now they are one step ahead of us.

Last edited by 32 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers vs. Celtics: Race to the next championship

32 wrote:
It pains me to say this but right now they are ahead of us in the rebuild. They just beat Memphis last night without Isaiah Thomas and they might even make the playoffs this year. I know it's the weak eastern conference but making the playoffs will accomplish two things for them. It will give them much needed playoff experience and it could attract quality free agents. The only thing I really care about is what franchise will get the next championship. I am still hoping we will get #17 before they get #18 but right now they are one step ahead of us.

Considering Boston has an excessive amount of first round draft picks in upcoming years, I would tend to agree with you.

But with 2 max spots open in our roster in 2016-2017 (with increased salary cap) we could easily pass Boston in the rebuild.

But you're right they have an analytics-friendly coach winning them games as a sleeper, a better number 1 option than us, and more future draft picks than us. At this early stage in the rebuild race, they are ahead of us.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

I think they're closer to winning a title than us too, but who isn't closer than us?

They have still have no shot. Randle is a better piece than anyone on their roster.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

The only thing Boston is ahead of us in, is the coaching department IMO.

Everything else I'd rather have our situation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers vs. Celtics: Race to the next championship

32 wrote:

Don't agree. The only thing the Celtics will get out of making the playoffs it's a 4 game sweep and 16 or 17 draft pick of a mediocre player in the draft. Lakers have Clarkson, Randell coming back, Ed Davis, Tarik Black, a top 4 draft pick and cap space.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers vs. Celtics: Race to the next championship

LOSTON CEPTICS wrote:

Don't agree. The only thing the Celtics will get out of making the playoffs it's a 4 game sweep and 16 or 17 draft pick of a mediocre player in the draft. Lakers have Clarkson, Randell coming back, Ed Davis, Tarik Black, a top 4 draft pick and cap space.

The Lakers don't have a top 4 pick yet. Still a good chance Philly gets that pick. Lakers may finish ahead of Orlando and get leapfrogged. Even at the 4th worst record they have a 17 percent chance of getting bumped out by two teams. If the lakers lose the pick the celtics are certainly closer.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject:

Ainge did us a favor the way he blew up that team... especially Paul Pierce.

NO LOYALTY! SCREW'EM!
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers vs. Celtics: Race to the next championship

KobeShaqalliance wrote:
LOSTON CEPTICS wrote:

The Lakers don't have a top 4 pick yet. Still a good chance Philly gets that pick. Lakers may finish ahead of Orlando and get leapfrogged. Even at the 4th worst record they have a 17 percent chance of getting bumped out by two teams. If the lakers lose the pick the celtics are certainly closer.

Yet but they will get a top 4 and we will revisit this on lottery night.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

There FO knows how to collect assets, there is a reason why they had the upper-hand in the KG trade talk back in 2007... they always collect the pieces to make a big move down the road... this team simply doesn't have the resources... hate the Celtics as much as you want but there IQ and basketball knowledge is really solid.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Ainge did us a favor the way he blew up that team... especially Paul Pierce.

NO LOYALTY! SCREW'EM!

That was sort of a (bleep) move with how he didn't let Pierce retire a Celtic.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject:

Ainge is a ruthless GM when it comes to player loyalty. He would probably trade his own mother. They certainly do things a lot different than us.
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
There FO knows how to collect assets, there is a reason why they had the upper-hand in the KG trade talk back in 2007... they always collect the pieces to make a big move down the road... this team simply doesn't have the resources... hate the Celtics as much as you want but there IQ and basketball knowledge is really solid.

Huh?!??!!!! Celtics have such a solid IQ they have one ring in in the last 31 years or so. I say the front office with the hight IQ is the one with 5 rings in the last fifteen years. IMO...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

I don't know about that, I'll take Clarkson and Randle over anything the Celtics have on their roster.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

(Deleted by 32)

Last edited by 32 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
I don't know about that, I'll take Clarkson and Randle over anything the Celtics have on their roster.

Exactly. I'm not envious of Boston
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

We are winning a title before the Celtics.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

boston sucks
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject:

It doesn't feel like Boston will be a serious contender anytime soon. They got really lucky in the past (and when the league wasn't as strong). That's how they build their reputation.
Other than that they look like a small market team all the way.
Who Takes The Blame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject:

With as many picks as the Celtics has, They have a better chance then us
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject:

It's going to be a while for both. But I know we will win the next before they do.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
There FO knows how to collect assets, there is a reason why they had the upper-hand in the KG trade talk back in 2007

They had an upper hand in the KG trade talk because McHale was Ainge's BFF. The trade he took was a disaster for Minny, who won 22, 24, 15, 17 and 26 games in the next five seasons.

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
... they always collect the pieces to make a big move down the road...

Such as? Name another successful trade they have made since the KG trade?

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
hate the Celtics as much as you want but there IQ and basketball knowledge is really solid.

Ainge used to be one of the top drafting GM's in the league, but he has really come up empty the last few years:
2010 - #19 Avery Bradley

2011 - #27 JaJuan Johnson (after draft day trade)

2012 - #21 Jared Sullinger
2012 - #22 Fab Melo

2013 - #13 Kelly Olynyk (after draft day trade)

2014 - #6 Marcus Smart
2014 - #17 James Young

Out of those players, only Smart and Bradley are starters. Having a bunch draft picks isn't that helpful if you can't turn them into talent.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

Some race.

Nearly five seasons completed since the most recent championship for either. The level of competition - let alone closing the distance to the finish line or the rate of progress- reminds me more of The Snail vs The Worm than the Lakers vs The Celtics.

Progress made in five years ?

Worst Laker team in memory. Ahem. I just hope the Lakers bottomed out this season in terms of the direction of net talent change year to year.

Can it get worse ? Sure, it could. BTW I don't give a rat's ass about the Celtic's journey. Let them suffer their own fate; they've got enough trophies to last them even longer than us.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

All those picks are good for depth but you need stars to win rings. Nobody is choosing Boston over LA in free agency and none of their treasured draft picks so far could headline a blockbuster trade. The highest pick on their roster is Smart and he hasn't shown any flashes of All-Star potential this year yet. Neither has any of their other players.

If they make the playoffs they will immediately drop about 5 spots in the draft for the privilege of getting swept by the Hawks or Cavs.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject:

Well Boston homer Bill Simmons thinks Kevin Love is going to sign with the Celtics next season.
Quote:
Where do you think Kevin Love is gonna live in Boston next season? I see him on Marlborough Street.

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/574342822259642369
Genaro
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

Right now, yes they are. Their coach is very good and they got a lot of picks.
But it all comes down to who gets the first star (by draft or FA)
Boston has at the moment just the better chance of being mediocre, they are ways away from being a contender even if they go to the playoffs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 1 of 32
Jump to: