Pat Riley on why he can't stomach tanking as a strategy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
24 wrote:

Actually, that's how you convince some good young starting talent to come, and those combined are how you nail the stars. Build in reverse. Young talent with upside on rookie deals, add in young vets with ability to start and play rolls, then invite a star to step right in and be the final piece.

Obviously if you can nail the star earlier, great.

There aren't many examples of this happening. Free Agent stars sign where there is already another star in place, not just bunch a role players.

Let's say we had Milwaukee's roster. Solid young players, no "stars", good record, but certainly not a title contender. Superstars would be crawling all over themselves to join us if we were half way decent and had the money for two of them.

I think that's true in theory, but we just haven't seen it happen. I agree that we'd be more appealing with the Bucks squad, since we have money to spend and we're the Lakers. But, FA stars don't always go on the market at the same time and they seem to be scared of signing with teams who have a solid core in place, unless they can team up with another star.

I feel like these younger players watched Lebron struggle in Cleveland (the first time around) with a very solid and deep team, but without any other star player. Nobody wants to try to build something, as the #1 guy.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
kwase wrote:
I've been trying to get that through the Pro-tankers skulls. So many great college players end up busts in the NBA. Not to mention the amount of time it takes for a rookie to develop. If this is the Lakers strategy going forward, then we need to be prepared for many, many years of sucking! The Lakers need to attract a franchise player and convince him to sign with us. This is L.A., Holloywood, bikinis, palm trees, great weather and beaches...it's never been a problem before so why is it now?!?!

You don't need to be prepared for many, many years of sucking. Only a couple. See the Lakers after Magic retired.

As for the bolded, superstar free agents aren't coming because there's nothing to come to. Players on rookie contracts allow you to construct a decent team, and then that's when the stars want to come here. That's how you convince a star to come here.

Not true the 1990s lakers had some 50 win seasons in there. Of I'm not mistaken the year b4 kobe and Shaq we had a winning team as well.. These teams today are horrible
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
kwase wrote:
I've been trying to get that through the Pro-tankers skulls. So many great college players end up busts in the NBA. Not to mention the amount of time it takes for a rookie to develop. If this is the Lakers strategy going forward, then we need to be prepared for many, many years of sucking! The Lakers need to attract a franchise player and convince him to sign with us. This is L.A., Holloywood, bikinis, palm trees, great weather and beaches...it's never been a problem before so why is it now?!?!

You don't need to be prepared for many, many years of sucking. Only a couple. See the Lakers after Magic retired.

As for the bolded, superstar free agents aren't coming because there's nothing to come to. Players on rookie contracts allow you to construct a decent team, and then that's when the stars want to come here. That's how you convince a star to come here.

Not true the 1990s lakers had some 50 win seasons in there. Of I'm not mistaken the year b4 kobe and Shaq we had a winning team as well.. These teams today are horrible
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Not to mention that the vast majority of lottery picks aren't even real game-changers.

You have that in reverse. The Vast Majority of "Real Game Changers" in the NBA today were lottery picks. But you know that, right?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject:

The main reason that the draft doesn't seem successful is the people who win it are often not there by design but because they're bad as an organization.

The Cavs got 3 in 4 through a combination of luck and running their team like crap. The Pelicans got Davis but they're too incompetent to be able to build a team around him with a real future.

The rare occasions where a well run team sucks by design, the outcome has been fairly positive
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Not to mention that the vast majority of lottery picks aren't even real game-changers.

You have that in reverse. The Vast Majority of "Real Game Changers" in the NBA today were lottery picks. But you know that, right?

And those are still a small percentage of the total lottery picks drafted.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
oh puuleeeeaseee, Rile doesn't have the horses to tank, otherwise he'd do the same thing.

I am not sure what you are basing that on since he has never done it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: