Warriors coach Steve Kerr emailed fans who were angry he rested starters

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Warriors coach Steve Kerr emailed fans who were angry he rested starters

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/15/steve-kerr-emailed-fans-who-were-angry-he-rested-healthy-stars-against-nuggets/

Quote:
Steve Kerr emailed fans who were angry he rested healthy stars against Nuggets

Adam Silver has plans to address the league’s brutal 82-game schedule, and may look to do so as soon as this upcoming offseason.

But in the meantime, with the travel involved in back-to-back games in different cities or stretches where teams are forced to play four games in five nights, resting perfectly healthy players has become an increasingly popular strategy.

The Warriors were the latest team to try it, resting Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Andrew Bogut and Andre Iguodala for Friday’s contest in Denver, in advance of a home game against the Knicks the very next night.

Some fans were unhappy, having spent money on tickets or driving a long way specifically to see a healthy Golden State team in action, and Steve Kerr took the time to respond to a few angry emails he received, saying he completely understands the reaction.

From the Associated Press:

One of the emails Kerr received was from a family that drove from South Dakota to the Mile High City with high hopes of seeing All-Stars Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson lead the Western Conference’s top team. Instead, those two rested along with center Andrew Bogut and Andre Iguodala. …

“I heard from some fans. I received a few emails, stories about driving in from a long distance off and spending a lot of money on tickets,” Kerr said. “I have great sympathy for those people. I really do. It’s a tricky one. It’s something that I think Adam Silver is trying to address through the scheduling shuffling that he’s talking about.

“It’s real important, because our fans deserve to see the best product out there. If somebody spends a lot of money, they deserve to see the best players, the guy that they came to see. On the other hand, as coaches we have to do what’s best to prepare our teams for a really long year.”

This was my issue when the Spurs started this trend several years ago, which is that fans often times buy tickets to see their favorite teams or players before the season begins, and it’s unfair to them if guys who are healthy enough to play do not, simply due to an artificial need for rest.

But now that the practice has become so prevalent, it’s no longer something to pity the ticket-buyers for.

There are plenty of seats available on the secondary market on game days in most NBA cities, often times at face value or below. It’s unfortunate, but fans now need to be wary of the schedule, and if a team is facing a back-to-back or stretch of four in five nights when coming to town, waiting on that ticket purchase or lengthy road trip is likely the more intelligent option.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject:

Coaches are in a tough position. Their livelihood relies on winning, so resting some guys makes sense (though I think that in Curry and Thompson's case, resting guys in their mid-20's who play twice a week is pretty stupid). Resting older legs makes some sense. But the NBA is also a business, and fans pay big money to see the stars, and they are cheated when those stars sit for non-injury reasons.

I do find it funny that guys playing all 82 games 20+ years ago wasn't a big deal. But now, with supposed better athletes, it is an issue? The NBA today is a much softer league than it used to be.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Coaches are in a tough position. Their livelihood relies on winning, so resting some guys makes sense (though I think that in Curry and Thompson's case, resting guys in their mid-20's who play twice a week is pretty stupid). Resting older legs makes some sense. But the NBA is also a business, and fans pay big money to see the stars, and they are cheated when those stars sit for non-injury reasons.

I do find it funny that guys playing all 82 games 20+ years ago wasn't a big deal. But now, with supposed better athletes, it is an issue? The NBA today is a much softer league than it used to be.

I think for the teams it's now seen as a competitive advantage, after the Spurs looked like they were just running on a higher octane fuel in last years finals. Also Denver is a bit of an issue, players often look like crap for a week after playing there in the altitude.

The suggestion by the writer that they should wait til the day of the game however is about as insulting as you can get.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

they weren't making ridiculous amounts like that 20-30 years ago either...
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Players stats are too important these days. Instead of just giving them a quarter or two, they choose to completely sit them out a game. Same crap Byron was pulling with Kobe.
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject:

Maybe because I don't go to the games live, but I just don't see the problem with coaches sitting out their best players for rest.

I completely understand the frustration from paying customers getting a worse product, but from a basketball standpoint, I don't see the problem.

If you want to see the big guns, why not just get the tickets against marquee matchups? Yes I understand that tickets are at a premium for these games but if all you want to see are the stars then you have to shell out the cash. You go to the unwanted games because they cost less and so it shouldn't be a surprise that you get a worse product for paying less.

However, if resting players against scrub teams improves your squads overall chances of winning it all, wouldn't you want that as a fan of the team? It is about winning a Championship right?
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

True. But they didn't run up and down the court like maniacs in that time either. Thx MDA for reducing the amount of games we as fans can watch....

Other than that it is easy: Get rid of the conference and division nonsense. Let each team play twice against each other -> 58 games. Best 16 teams are in the playoffs. If that's not enough games, add teams. Or remove teams and let them have three games against each other.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

True. But they didn't run up and down the court like maniacs in that time either. Thx MDA for reducing the amount of games we as fans can watch....

Other than that it is easy: Get rid of the conference and division nonsense. Let each team play twice against each other -> 58 games. Best 16 teams are in the playoffs. If that's not enough games, add teams. Or remove teams and let them have three games against each other.

Um, the pace of the game was far higher in the 80's and prior (especially prior) than it is today, it wasn't until the 90's til it all slowed down.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

They played at much faster pace in those days.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Sure they were. Salaries have gone up exponentially, of course, but 30 years ago the stars were making the equivalent of $5 million today. I'd say you're a little warped if that doesn't seem like a huge amount of money.

By 1995, Patrick Ewing was making $18.7 million and Clyde Drexler $10 million (in 1995 dollars).
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Sure they were. Salaries have gone up exponentially, of course, but 30 years ago the stars were making the equivalent of $5 million today. I'd say you're a little warped if that doesn't seem like a huge amount of money.

By 1995, Patrick Ewing was making $18.7 million and Clyde Drexler $10 million (in 1995 dollars).

no it does... hell 50,000 seems like a lot for me...for some reason I felt that Jordan paved the way for big money for NBA players and all the other stars outside of Magic and Bird were not making that much money
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: