Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 363, 364, 365 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject:

In case the link jb posted doesn't allow try this LINK I'm not into MMA if I was I'd be pissed if I dropped $60 for 14 seconds.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject:

4:55 Rousey in dominant position.
4:50 Rousey applies armbar
4:46 Fight is called...
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

The entire title defense:

http://giant.gfycat.com/CornyGenuineDove.gif

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:

Wow, what a great strategy. Let me completely ignore my strength and MOVE directly into the strength of my opponent. That generally works as you can really never overestimate the power of surprise
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Wow, what a great strategy. Let me completely ignore my strength and MOVE directly into the strength of my opponent. That generally works as you can really never overestimate the power of surprise

It was like the Rich Franklin versus Anderson Silva rematch.

Rich got outstruck heavily in KO loss to Silva in the first fight so he clinches with him in the 2nd. I thought Silva was the one initiating it but Rich said "I wanted to clinch with him". Yep, against the Muay Thai God. Needless to say it ended up in a rain of elbows and knees.

Brilliant!
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Boromir wrote:
One does not simply run at Ronda Rousey- the girl with the best throws in UFC.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

It was like the Rich Franklin versus Anderson Silva rematch.

Rich got outstruck heavily in KO loss to Silva in the first fight so he clinches with him in the 2nd. I thought Silva was the one initiating it but Rich said "I wanted to clinch with him". Yep, against the Muay Thai God. Needless to say it ended up in a rain of elbows and knees.

Brilliant!

I can only imagine! Man, I tell you, MT has completely changed my view of what fighting is.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Some guy tried insulted Ronda and women in general saying they're would be able to throw a man around like she does to other women. She threw him and broke 4 of his ribs.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Some guy tried insulted Ronda and women in general saying they're would be able to throw a man around like she does to other women. She threw him and broke 4 of his ribs.

Well, putting things into perspective. Size and strength mean a lot still. She's bad ass in her class and weight division, but Technique becomes less and less effective the bigger and stronger the opponent.

RR would probably take the average 175 lb man who works out and doesn't train in fighting, but change that to a 200 lb dude who does the same and I don't think she'd have much of a chance. She couldn't take a hit and she'd have a hard time getting a hold of him simply because of his strength.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Well, putting things into perspective. Size and strength mean a lot still. She's bad ass in her class and weight division, but Technique becomes less and less effective the bigger and stronger the opponent.

RR would probably take the average 175 lb man who works out and doesn't train in fighting, but change that to a 200 lb dude who does the same and I don't think she'd have much of a chance. She couldn't take a hit and she'd have a hard time getting a hold of him simply because of his strength.

If that 200 lb guy has no training then I have no doubt she'd beat him.

One of the guys I trained with was 135 lbs and consistently toyed with guys who were 200-220 lbs. And these were guys with martial arts training... but they just weren't anywhere as good as the little guy.

I remember a time there was a girl wrestler who was training with us to prepare for a competition because she was wrestling against boys. So we were mainly just supposed to toss her around and stuff.

Well, my buddy was first. The girl was probably about 95 lbs soaking wet. My buddy was a small guy. About 145 lbs.

Well, in an instant I saw his legs fly up and his back slam to the ground. lol

She couldn't do that to me or some of the other guys who weren't so tiny.. . but then again... she was just a 15 yr old kid with just some wrestling training. Far from being anywhere close to elite.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject:

was she trying to kick her in slow motion?
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject:

I think Ronda got jobbed a little bit, the fight shouldve been called at 4:48!
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

You may have a point but the video with Mousasi is not really a good example. He's one of the most skilled light heavyweights around, not exactly an average Joe. ( He's also has wins over several Olympian judokas)
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

If that 200 lb guy has no training then I have no doubt she'd beat him.

One of the guys I trained with was 135 lbs and consistently toyed with guys who were 200-220 lbs. And these were guys with martial arts training... but they just weren't anywhere as good as the little guy.

I remember a time there was a girl wrestler who was training with us to prepare for a competition because she was wrestling against boys. So we were mainly just supposed to toss her around and stuff.

Well, my buddy was first. The girl was probably about 95 lbs soaking wet. My buddy was a small guy. About 145 lbs.

Well, in an instant I saw his legs fly up and his back slam to the ground. lol

She couldn't do that to me or some of the other guys who weren't so tiny.. . but then again... she was just a 15 yr old kid with just some wrestling training. Far from being anywhere close to elite.

Problem is weight and strength. That 135 lb man still had man strength and even though he was probably a lot less strong than the dudes he faced, he had the combination of strength and weight to do a lot of stuff, although, he'd have to be a complete bad ass, and maybe he was, to take one of those dudes in a street fight where there are no rules.

The girl wrestler is still problematic. So she throws the guy to the ground and then what? Pounds him into submission? Not likely. Chokes him out? Again, not likely due to lack of strength.

I know, RR is a complete bad ass. But when I think of her trying to absorb the strength, weight and speed of a 200 lb, i shape man, and then how she would go about putting him down, with both of them in full fight mode, Testosterone and Epi flowing, it's hard for me to imagine it.

But I could be wrong because I don't hang out in gyms watching girls training. I had my time in Karate and the girls couldn't compete and if they weren't at least black belt level, they better not think about fighting a man 65 lbs bigger than they were. Then I moved to boxing and I think we all know that's not even an issue. MMA gives you something to balance things out. But you still need the strength to gain position for everything you do and to hold it long enough to end the fight. Much of the ability to put people in arm locks comes from the threat of the punch to the face. No 200 lb man is going to be afraid of RR hitting him while they are on the ground, she can't knock him out.

I am pretty good friends with a woman who is pretty bad ass in JJ and I outweigh her by 60 lbs or so. She knows way more on ground fighting than I do right now. She thinks she can take me. I asked my instructor, who is so high level, he's like, I trained with the guy who trained with and Ajarn Chai for many years. And if you look up AC, you'll see that he brought MT to the US and then took up JKD. Well, my instructor knows both me and this woman pretty well and he basically said that she has me from a knowledge and skill level on the ground, but she'd never make it there due to my upright fighting technique and ability to hit hard and grapple so well. And even if it went to ground, I know enough where she couldn't take advantage of it in any meaningful way.

That's what I THINK would happen to RR. But again, I could be wrong. She says she could beat anyone in the World in her weight class, male or female. I think she's gone crazy if she believes that.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

You may have a point but the video with Mousasi is not really a good example. He's one of the most skilled light heavyweights around, not exactly an average Joe. ( He's also has wins over several Olympian judokas)

Granted. But it just goes to show how much size and strength mean. Looking at that video, is there any scenario, situation where she finds a way to put him down? Or, put it any other way, any scenario where in a real fight, she's not out in 10 seconds?
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
4:55 Rousey in dominant position.
4:50 Rousey applies armbar
4:46 Fight is called...

Yep, had her arm behind opponents tricep. It was over from there.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Granted. But it just goes to show how much size and strength mean. Looking at that video, is there any scenario, situation where she finds a way to put him down? Or, put it any other way, any scenario where in a real fight, she's not out in 10 seconds?

I think a leglock would her best option:

Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Pettis got owned in every area.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Hell of a night of fights. Easily the best UFC card in the last year.

Super pumped for Joanna's victory. I think she'll rule that division like Ronda rules hers. Stopping all of those takedowns was super impressive. Her flurry against the cage for the stoppage reminded me of Chuck against Tito back in the day.

Bummed about Pettis but Dos Anjos looked perfect.

I was a little disappointed Roy went for the takedown when he had Overeem rocked. He probably could have finished that.

Pearson's hook reminded me of Chuck vs Rashad. His landed just a little bit quicker and that was it.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Hell of a night of fights. Easily the best UFC card in the last year.

Super pumped for Joanna's victory. I think she'll rule that division like Ronda rules hers. Stopping all of those takedowns was super impressive. Her flurry against the cage for the stoppage reminded me of Chuck against Tito back in the day.

Bummed about Pettis but Dos Anjos looked perfect.

I was a little disappointed Roy went for the takedown when he had Overeem rocked. He probably could have finished that.

Pearson's hook reminded me of Chuck vs Rashad. His landed just a little bit quicker and that was it.

Indeed was a good card.

Shame about Pettis, I expected him to come out a lot better than that.

Thought Overeem actually looked quite decent, looks like he's put in some cardio work. Well, either that or he happened to be fighting the most out of shape dude in the division.

Also glad Joanna won, can't stand that Esparza, thought she was a real piece of work on TUF

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

I hope they don't give Pettis a rematch and have to work his way back up. It was not close and he looked horrible.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

maybe he was injured?? not sure why he looked so terrible.. not trying to take away anything from Rafael.. but I've never seen PEttis look so terrible.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Yeah, I just started working on those today. Powerful stuff. I posed the question to my instructor who as you know I have the utmost respect for in these matters and his feeling is that in my scenario of RR against a gym trained, but not fight trained 200 lb man, if they fought 100 times, she'd win 40 times and lose 60 times based on skill and knowledge v. strength and weight. we had a long discussion and his feeling was that her best bet would be a leg lock or a throw onto his head.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

damn! these asian dudes bringing it!
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

Did anyone else see this, skip forward to around the 9 minute mark for the fun to start

Damn, cant wait for Aldo to smash Connor's face in

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 363, 364, 365 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 364 of 499
Jump to: