Is History Repeating Itself With This Draft?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Is History Repeating Itself With This Draft?

Something just came to mind recently. This draft, well, the top 3 picks in this draft anyway (Okafor, Towns, and Russell), seem to have SOME similarities to the 1984 draft.

Now before you laugh at me, just hear me out for a second. I'm not in any shape or form comparing the players to the top 3 picks in this draft to the ones in 1984 (Hakeem, Sam Bowie, Michael Jordan). I'm just comparing the...situation sort of speak.

The first two picks that seem like it won't change any time soon are two centers, just like the 1984 draft. Jahill Okafor, being the safest pick to go with, just like Hakeem was the safest pick to go with in 1984. The second pick, is more riskier and more of a project but shows great potential, Karl-Anthony Towns. Just like Sam Bowie, in 1984. And finally, the big time shot creater Guard in the 3rd pick, Deangelo Russell. Just like Michael Jordan.

Two out of the three players selected in the top 3 of the 1984 draft fulfilled their potential AND THEN some, while one turned out to be a bust.

The question is: Do YOU think that this draft, will have similar results with these three players of today? Not at them being THAT GREAT per say but I mean, do you think the same result will happen with one guard being a stud and one center out of the two becomes a stud? Or do you think otherwise?

And IF you do think it will happen, which two out of the three players will be great, and one being the bust?

Just a little fun thing I thought would be fun to talk about considering the drag of tanking this season.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject:

But what if we draft 4th - 5th which we're currently slotted?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Is History Repeating Itself With This Draft?

History isn't repeating itself. The draft is so different now. The league is so different now as well.

Doubt any player in this draft will have peaks that compare to Jordan or Hakeem, thus "the Sam Bowie's" won't exist either.

I see this draft being similar to last years.
Alot of project pieces at the top of the class and some gems scattered out throughout the mid 1st to mid 2nd round.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
But what if we draft 4th - 5th which we're currently slotted?

Than we hope for 5 and draft the next Charles Barkley, WCS!

...again that's why I said I'm not comparing the players in skill set or whatever.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Depends on which situation each player winds up in
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

That's a very fair answer.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
22 wrote:

So once we see where each player goes, let's revisit this topic. It's fun trying to predict stuff like this
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject:

I doubt it because there's no guarantee Russell goes in the top 3. He wasn't the super athlete or had the size of Jordan. There was also no nba combine back then like it is now.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject:

Plus, unlike 84', all of these top prospects are freshman, not seasoned veterans. Bowie, Olajuwon and Jordan were all in college for a number of years and we had a chance to see them longer and evaluate them better. We also saw them against better competition.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject:

lol
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject:

The only similarity between this draft and 84 is that NBA teams will be drafting people who would like to play in the NBA.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

Shelve this topic until 2025.
DSF_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
The only similarity between this draft and 84 is that NBA teams will be drafting people who would like to play in the NBA.

This.

In fact, I dont think there were EVER two drafts that were remarkably similar.

And did someone really just compare someone name D'Angelo russell to Michael Jordan?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Actually I thought the OP was going to contrast this draft with the 2001 draft, where you had a potentially efficient scorer but poor defender (Eddy Curry) with a good defender but poor scorer (Tyson Chandler).
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject:

John Stockton carved out a nice little career for himself as the 16th pick.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Actually I thought the OP was going to contrast this draft with the 2001 draft, where you had a potentially efficient scorer but poor defender (Eddy Curry) with a good defender but poor scorer (Tyson Chandler).

Okafor is a poor scorer?

Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject:

It's not quite fair to label Bowie a bust. The guy could play and had a solid rookie season. He had a decent career considering the serious injuries he had. He had a shot at being a very good player if not for the injuries.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
22 wrote:

... .......

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
John Stockton carved out a nice little career for himself as the 16th pick.

Playing for the Zags had to be the thing that obscured him, he had the game to be taken earlier than 16, not just the tools or po', but the actual game. You can't find any footage of him where he doesn't play exactly the same way he did for 19 yrs in the pros. Beyond that, as hard as it is to conceive of a 4 year college player today, it took Stock 4 years before he got the PT sufficient to start being called a "star". Pippen and Ho were called potential stars like it was a foregone conclusion that same year as rookies. The surprise there is that Johnny happily hung in there that long even after he did 4 yrs of college. Such concepts in today's pro NBA boggle my mind.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
It's not quite fair to label Bowie a bust. The guy could play and had a solid rookie season. He had a decent career considering the serious injuries he had. He had a shot at being a very good player if not for the injuries.

He did miss a helluva lotta games, but it's odd that he seems to be more known and criticized for it than forgotten injury bust outs like Greg Oden. Erratic or not, Bowie stuck in for 10 yrs and Sam's injuries were snapped legbones requiring plates and screws. He deserved credit for merely slogging back out there to fulfill his contracts the best he could. It's like how Shaq is cited for his injuries (the agenda is usually transparent), when he's actually one of the very best examples of a center in the 300lb range having a full career. Check Yao, e.g. Minor miracle Shaq was as sturdy as he was.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:

I have always felt this label gets thrown around loosely. People get labelled busts when their career is derailed by injuries that they could not necessarily prevent. They get labelled busts because GMs vastly overestimated their ability (even when they go on to have long, if unremarkable, careers).

I feel that the bust label ought to be reserved for those guys who flame out quickly, usually for personal reasons, despite having the talent and the health. But I have a hard time calling a guy like Bowie, who worked hard despite the injuries, a bust. He has the misfortune of being picked instead of Jordan, so there is no way that he could, injured or not, ever live up to that draft position. But the GM should earn the notoriety for that, not the player. That seems hard for people to wrap their heads around sometimes. Like Darko or Kwame, both of whom would have been considered utterly average role players if they had been picked late 1st round or in the 2nd round. But their draft position created an impossible gap between the expectation of their potential and their actual ceilings.
nolookpass
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

Actually the repeat of history I am hoping for is 1997, when the Spurs tanked themselves a record of 21-61, got the first pick and drafted Duncan. Now, in 2015, all you have to do is replace Spurs with Lakers and Duncan with either Okafor and Towns.

(Admittedly, a 1984 repeat with us picking the next Jordan in Russell at 3 would not hurt either.)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: