Netflix's House of Cards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Man Claire is hot... very disappointed Frank didn't want to slap her around and do as she instructed.

Just like alot of hot females with a stick up their butt.
She asked him to do that because she knew he wouldn't.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Spoilers:

Much better than season 2 (that whole Tusk-fest got boring), though I didn't like how so much of season 3 was devoted to Doug. It felt like I was watching "The Stamper Hour" at some points. I don't know what the whole Rachel storyline was for unless Doug's sociopathic tendencies are going to eventually bite Frank in his psychopathic arse.

At the least, Michael Kelly would make a great adversary in the next season of Dexter

Good cliffhanger though. I'm wondering if S4 is the final season, can't see Frank winning if Claire leaves him for good. Though it will probably go 5 like Breaking Bad.

I think they developed that story because Frank's association with Doug is ultimately going to be his downfall.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Man Claire is hot... very disappointed Frank didn't want to slap her around and do as she instructed.

Just like alot of older hot females with a stick up their butt.

fixed it for you.

but you're right.. the ladies really became (bleep) this season.. got kinda annoying. this show was downhill since season 1. glad they release them all at the same time.. at least this way I make it all the way through..
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Spoilers:

Much better than season 2 (that whole Tusk-fest got boring), though I didn't like how so much of season 3 was devoted to Doug. It felt like I was watching "The Stamper Hour" at some points. I don't know what the whole Rachel storyline was for unless Doug's sociopathic tendencies are going to eventually bite Frank in his psychopathic arse.

At the least, Michael Kelly would make a great adversary in the next season of Dexter

Good cliffhanger though. I'm wondering if S4 is the final season, can't see Frank winning if Claire leaves him for good. Though it will probably go 5 like Breaking Bad.

I think they developed that story because Frank's association with Doug is ultimately going to be his downfall.

Yeah. I think Claire is more likely to bring about his end though. Doug seems to be the only guy still 100% loyal to him.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
kikanga wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

fixed it for you.

but you're right.. the ladies really became (bleep) this season.. got kinda annoying. this show was downhill since season 1. glad they release them all at the same time.. at least this way I make it all the way through..

I mean, one of House of Card's weaknesses are the way the characters are written. "Frank Underwood" is pretty much the only character worth writing home about. If you stuck these characters in a show with a less interesting premise, it would tank.

What they need is less redundancy. Jack Sharp, Dunbar, Claire, all pretty much the same basic character template. Remy, Grinch Face, and Doug? All the same character besides a few subtle acting differences. Walker, Tusk, Russo? All dumbed down to be knocked aside/ made irrelevant.

They need a legit contender who is not only well written and smart, but a good person. The yin to Frank's yang. Someone like President Bartlet from the West Wing...super smart, politically savvy, and a people person, not just another version of Frank-lite or cardboard cutout that can be easily manipulated and tossed aside.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
kikanga wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

fixed it for you.

I mean, one of House of Card's weaknesses are the way the characters are written. "Frank Underwood" is pretty much the only character worth writing home about. If you stuck these characters in a show with a less interesting premise, it would tank.

What they need is less redundancy. Jack Sharp, Dunbar, Claire, all pretty much the same basic character template. Remy, Grinch Face, and Doug? All the same character besides a few subtle acting differences. Walker, Tusk, Russo? All dumbed down to be knocked aside/ made irrelevant.

They need a legit contender who is not only well written and smart, but a good person. The yin to Frank's yang. Someone like President Bartlet from the West Wing...super smart, politically savvy, and a people person, not just another version of Frank-lite or cardboard cutout that can be easily manipulated and tossed aside.

Well Frank Underwood is the only character to really talk to the camera. Yes, the other characters could definitely use more development, but if this series only lasts 4 seasons, I don't think there is ample time for that.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject:

well, Dunbar is supposed to be his opposite. save the journal incident.. she's the one with the most integrity.

I agree with the redundancy though. Jackie Sharp, Claire.. if they were going to focus on Doug.. why not show Rachel more.. she's actually an intriguing character... especially why develop that whole story line if they're just going to kill her off so suddenly.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

I mean Zoe was the best character on the show but they killed her off right away
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject:

Just finished watching the last episode of season 3. I liked it overall, but there were SO MANY hate-able characters in this one. Dunbar, Yates, Baldwin, Petrov. I even started hating Jackie, that "Judas (bleep)", as Seth called her

I was kind of disappointed with the cliffhanger, but at the same time I'm intrigued to see where they go from here. Sucks that we have to wait another year now. I binge watched all 3 seasons in about a month so its going to suck having to go through the wait.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I mean Zoe was the best character on the show but they killed her off right away

Christina and Rachel were the hottest two girls on this show, IMO, but Zoe was definitely up there as well. I miss her too, but her death was probably the best moment of the show so far, due to the fact that it was completely unexpected and served as a shocking twist.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject:

There are no fat, average-looking women in the House of Cards universe. Even the illegal cabronas in Rachel's building looked like they came straight out of a talent agency in SoHo. I was rooting for Doug to murder Rachel and was extremely disappointed with his pathetic demeanor. Then he made a U-Turn and did his country proud...the cut to him throwing dirt on her hair was DISGUSTING and gratifying. 4 more years for President Underwood!

Great season overall, especially the Putin and (bleep) Riot episode.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

Finished the season last night.

- The two political issues of this season, the military intervention in the Jordan Valley and the AmWorks program, are so stupid and unrealistic. NOT ONCE during the entire season was the term West Bank used, but instead "Jordan Valley." They also described the Palestinian Authority as "Palestine." Who writes this stuff? The Jordan Valley is a desert where no one lives. The only reason it would need to be invaded is if Jordan or some other Arab country was going to attack Israel from the East. And taking funds out of FEMA to employ dish washers in DC? Ok, whatever. But I realize these political issues provide a way for Frank to do his manipulating, but it still bothers me.

- It's difficult to make presidential debates look realistic on tv shows and movies. And the debate in episode 11 (or was it 12?) was no exception. The sexism discussion was so badly written and the acting was worse.

- Dunbar running for president is so laughable. She's a Solicitor General, for god's sake. And top of that, she's not really compelling. The entire campaign subplot was a mess.

- Someone mentioned this already, but I fail to see one compelling character other than Frank on this show. None of them would be interesting without Frank manipulating them or reacting to what Frank is doing. I guess the only possible exceptions would be Yates and Petrov. But they aren't part of the regular cast.

- This season just never attained that energy, which made the first season so compelling. I really had trouble completing the season. It wasn't as predictable as the first two seasons, but I'm just getting tired of Frank.

- The focus on Doug was another thing that just killed all the energy. As someone said above, Frank's connection to Doug will probably ruin Frank. But still, he's not really a compelling character, other than when he's around Frank.

- I'll stick around, but I really, really hope next season will be the last.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

- The two political issues of this season, the military intervention in the Jordan Valley and the AmWorks program, are so stupid and unrealistic. NOT ONCE during the entire season was the term West Bank used, but instead "Jordan Valley." They also described the Palestinian Authority as "Palestine." Who writes this stuff? The Jordan Valley is a desert where no one lives. The only reason it would need to be invaded is if Jordan or some other Arab country was going to attack Israel from the East. And taking funds out of FEMA to employ dish washers in DC? Ok, whatever. But I realize these political issues provide a way for Frank to do his manipulating, but it still bothers me.

- It's difficult to make presidential debates look realistic on tv shows and movies. And the debate in episode 11 (or was it 12?) was no exception. The sexism discussion was so badly written and the acting was worse.

- Dunbar running for president is so laughable. She's a Solicitor General, for god's sake. And top of that, she's not really compelling. The entire campaign subplot was a mess.

- Someone mentioned this already, but I fail to see one compelling character other than Frank on this show. None of them would be interesting without Frank manipulating them or reacting to what Frank is doing. I guess the only possible exceptions would be Yates and Petrov. But they aren't part of the regular cast.

- This season just never attained that energy, which made the first season so compelling. I really had trouble completing the season. It wasn't as predictable as the first two seasons, but I'm just getting tired of Frank.

- The focus on Doug was another thing that just killed all the energy. As someone said above, Frank's connection to Doug will probably ruin Frank. But still, he's not really a compelling character, other than when he's around Frank.

In regard to the bolded point, that was one thing the oft-criticized latter seasons of The West Wing got right. It really felt like you were watching a long and drawn out campaign with realistic debates (for better or for worse lol).

But yeah, they just bit off more than they could chew there. And I'll say it again, totally agree with the point about the characters. Ask yourself this: would you rather watch a show centered around Jackie Sharpe and Remy Danton, or gouge your eyes out with a plastic fork? Probably the latter.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Dude it's TV ... relax!
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Wilt wrote:

In regard to the bolded point, that was one thing the oft-criticized latter seasons of The West Wing got right. It really felt like you were watching a long and drawn out campaign with realistic debates (for better or for worse lol).

But yeah, they just bit off more than they could chew there. And I'll say it again, totally agree with the point about the characters. Ask yourself this: would you rather watch a show centered around Jackie Sharpe and Remy Danton, or gouge your eyes out with a plastic fork? Probably the latter.

Good points. Agree on the thinness of plots.

I'd like to add another major flaw to Frank's campaign was who funded it? The DNC did not back him right? Where were his contributions coming from?

Also, Frank was so unlikable, who in the world would vote for him?

I would say that Claire walking out at the end was pretty bad ass. It will be interesting to see where that goes. Probably her running for Senator.

About Doug, since when did he become Jason Bourne? He wakes from a coma, falls off the wagon, re-covers and then proceeds to globe hop in order to pay a visit to some hacker, beating him with a cane, then flies to New Mexico and murders a girl?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject:

They built Dunbar up and then she folded like a cheap suit in the election. It was like all that build up during the season and then it was all over.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Bump.

It's baaaack!

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject:

OK LG, you've once again piqued my curiosity. The last two were disastrous. I'm going to, sometime this weekend, get started on the series. The trailer show promise.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Just finished the first episode of the new season. Powerful stuff.

The show has production and writing quality that exceeds alot of movies nowadays. Let alone other tv shows.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Thank you LG. This time you did not disappoint. First episode showed promise. I'll keep watching.

Didn't like to see Casey unfaithful. His wife seemed to be a foundation.

No more spoilers from me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Thank you LG. This time you did not disappoint. First episode showed promise. I'll keep watching.

Didn't like to see Casey unfaithful. His wife seemed to be a foundation.

No more spoilers from me.

I jumped ship midway through season 3. Now I might have to go back and re-watch.

If anyone gets to mid-season 4, and wants to let me know if its better, I'd love that.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject:

Hell hath no fury...
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject:

Still binging hahaha ... I need to go to bed.

Claire still hot ... Frank still awesome
#Avatar-gate
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

You hit episode 4 yet!? That was a surprise. Didn't see that coming.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

You hit episode 4 yet!? That was a surprise. Didn't see that coming.

Episode 7 buddy hahaha
#Avatar-gate
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: