Radio Talk: Would you trade Julius Randle & Top 5 Pick for Kevin Durant?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you trade Randle/Potential Top 5 pick for Durant this summer?
yes
50%
 50%  [ 56 ]
No
49%
 49%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 110

omzzzzz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

No....because like others have said, Kevin Durant alone will not win us championships. We need all those other pieces.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject:

DSF_27 wrote:
Is this a JOKE?

A Jordan/Bryant/Bird/Magic type MVP caliber player in his PRIME vs an undersized rookie who has played half a game and a draft pick.

Um...why would the Thunder agree to such an absurdly ridiculous trade? Because theyre afraid he'll walk?! What other team could offer something better than Randle and a draft pick.

Answer: Almost every single team in the league.

Who WOULDNT trade their best player for just the CHANCE to have Durant long term? The only team I could think of would be Cleveland (Lebron). I honestly believe the Warriors would trade Curry for Durant if they had reasonable belief that they could resign him.

You'd be surprised how many teams wouldn't do it given the amount of assets OKC would ask, coupled with his free agency and foot injuries.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject:

I must have missed the part where Randle established himself as a major trade chip in the league. Spice up this trade notion a bunch and maybe OKC doesn't hang up laughing.

There also seems to be this assumption that the lottery will be our savior without any hesitation - just like assuming that Randle will be golden. I do hope both pan out. But, it's not like the Lakers are in the driver's seat right now. The team is just bad. What else are these guys going to talk about on the radio and any other show? It's not like we currently have a team worth their air time other than fantasy "what if..." scenarios.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject:

Who do you add to make the contracts work? lol
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject:

The only reason this poll has tighten up is because Russell went 3-19. Lol. Otherwise typical LG response is hell no, Julius is a stud, pick is a stud, etc.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject:

Is the possible to sign Love as FA and then trade Randle/picks for Durant later under this CBA?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Is the possible to sign Love as FA and then trade Randle/picks for Durant later?

Probably not if your plan is doing all of the above during the coming off season.

82. What are the rules regarding trades?

Quote:
Teams under the salary cap may make trades as they please, as long as they don't finish more than $100,000 above the salary cap following any trade. But if a team finishes more than $100,000 over the cap, whether they started out above or below the cap, then an exception is required. An exception is the mechanism that allows a team to make trades or sign players and finish over the salary cap. Since most teams are usually over the salary cap, trades are usually completed using exceptions.

$25 million -- Kobe
$16 million -- Love
$20 million -- Durant

If the Salary Cap is $68 million, then that leaves $7 million to cover the nine remaining roster spots + a Room Exception for player #13.

$7 million รท 9 = $777,778 average for each of the nine players which won't be very appealing unless they truly believe in the trio of Love, Kobe and Durant.

If Durant is having a problem with an opposing player on defense, the choices would be swapping defensive assignments with either Kobe or Love.

Kobe
Love
Durant
Black
Clarkson

would be the core with mostly players making the minimum salary holding the other seven roster spots. Then they could splurge and spend the Room Exception of $2.8 million on player #13.

If Kobe plays 65 games and averages 30 MPG, then he will be covering 1950 out of a possible 3936 minutes. So quite a few minutes to be covered by Clarkson or a similarly paid player.

If Love or Kobe or Durant miss some games due to injuries, things could get ugly.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject:

Love is a chump.

Trading for a frustrated durant would just convince him once and for all to move east. Can't sign him into a train wreck. I don't think he's in a patient state now.

plus it's a trick question. Durant's foot is a no-no.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject:

Russ leads OKC without Durant and Ibaka, wins MVP, pissed off over the Durant is OKC and we will construct monuments to him talk, Lakers trade top 5 pick, Clarkson, Houston pick and 2019 1st for Russ because he wants to come home !!!!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject:

And it's not just that moving those pieces won't vault us in to contender status, it's also that moving Randall and pick leaves us with no assets to build around Kevin.

I think I'd rather take the risk on the young players and use the cap space to bring in free agents that complete the puzzle.

Of course, there is a risk that Randall and pick are the wrong pieces of the puzzle. But there is 100% risk that moving them for Durant leaves you with greater risk. He could leave, his foot could continue to be a problem, and you have no assets left to make moves.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject:

Durant is a great great player. But now:

1. he has recurring foot problems. BIG RED FLAG.
2. he is a free agent in 2016, and rumors are he's interested in the Wizards. Why stay in the West and get wasted each year to make the playoffs and go through same?
3. OKC couldn't win with Russ, Harden, Ibaka, and Durant. Why would he want to stay on the Lakers (especially when they just traded away the top 5 pick and Randle)?

So no thanks. If he wants to come as a free agent in 2016, we can talk.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject:

Why trade for him? Just get him in FA in 2016 if he really wants to come here and honestly coming and staying in LA probably looks a lot more attractive when you are going to a team that had two consecutive top 5 picks (hopefully) and at least one additional pretty solid young player (JC) all on affordable contracts with boat loads of cash to spend rather than Durant and a bunch of no names.

If we keep this years pick I think the summer of 2016 FA is going to be a pretty strong off season for the Lakers, we'll have the opening for a star, we have the market, we will have solid young players...it really is setting itself up for the next Laker legend to step in
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
Why trade for him? Just get him in FA in 2016 if he really wants to come here and honestly coming and staying in LA probably looks a lot more attractive when you are going to a team that had two consecutive top 5 picks (hopefully) and at least one additional pretty solid young player (JC) all on affordable contracts with boat loads of cash to spend rather than Durant and a bunch of no names.

If we keep this years pick I think the summer of 2016 FA is going to be a pretty strong off season for the Lakers, we'll have the opening for a star, we have the market, we will have solid young players...it really is setting itself up for the next Laker legend to step in

Problem with 2016 free agency is that lots of teams will have a max slot, some with even 2 maybe 2.5-3 slots. So way more competition for a guy like Durant in 2016. Lakers may have to be patient, maybe snag a few pieces in 2016 that aren't max level players and take advantage of the 2017 free agency.
pooh108159
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

I could see a trade offer for westbrook and also get cousins.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:

Think I'll leave the standard, 'is this some sort of sick joke ?' comment .. ..
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I think it's a legit debate. If Durant had 2-3 years left on his contract, and didn't suffer his foot injuries, it's a no brainer. But he's a FA in 2016 and his foot injuries are concerning. Not sure I'd give up the farm for him. Ironically, he may leave b/c the cupboard is too bare after trading FOR him.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

Oh my goodness yes.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

Good points Yinoma. it's a fair debate w all that included
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I think it's a legit debate. If Durant had 2-3 years left on his contract, and didn't suffer his foot injuries, it's a no brainer. But he's a FA in 2016 and his foot injuries are concerning. Not sure I'd give up the farm for him. Ironically, he may leave b/c the cupboard is too bare after trading FOR him.

Agree. And to many people enamored by the thought of KD but if they don't take your comments into consideration, than it would be DH part II or worst...
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject:

Absolutely, positively yes. Durant is one of those guys, along with Davis, LBJ and Westbrook that you get at all costs. He's 27 and in his prime. If there is a window to trade for him, you absolutely take it. Yeah, he'll be a FA in 2016, but you can't simply assume that he'll sign here. A lot can change in a year's time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Absolutely, positively yes. Durant is one of those guys, along with Davis, LBJ and Westbrook that you get at all costs. He's 27 and in his prime. If there is a window to trade for him, you absolutely take it. Yeah, he'll be a FA in 2016, but you can't simply assume that he'll sign here. A lot can change in a year's time.

The point is you can't assume he'll re-sign here.

The irony is that to get Durant, you have to empty the talent pool on the Lakers. And guess what, in 2016, he looks at the roster and sees how bare it is, or what if Kobe wants to extend in 2016?

I love KD but no thanks. If he wants to be a Laker let him sign here and join Randle, Top 5 pick, etc.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Grind wrote:

The irony is that to get Durant, you have to empty the talent pool on the Lakers. And guess what, in 2016, he looks at the roster and sees how bare it is, or what if Kobe wants to extend in 2016?

I love KD but no thanks. If he wants to be a Laker let him sign here and join Randle, Top 5 pick, etc.

All I'm saying is that Durant is one of those dudes you get at the first glimpse of an opportunity. You worry about all that other stuff later. I get we're at opposite ends of the spectrum opinion-wise, but I trust that Mitch, with KD in place, can find a way to keep him happy. Durant is not Dwight, and in contrast to that scenario, LA will have lots of cap/flexibility to add pieces. And Durant's the type of guy that would attract stars. In short, I think he's worth any risk that would ensue.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Grind wrote:

All I'm saying is that Durant is one of those dudes you get at the first glimpse of an opportunity. You worry about all that other stuff later. I get we're at opposite ends of the spectrum opinion-wise, but I trust that Mitch, with KD in place, can find a way to keep him happy. Durant is not Dwight, and in contrast to that scenario, LA will have lots of cap/flexibility to add pieces. And Durant's the type of guy that would attract stars. In short, I think he's worth any risk that would ensue.

Dwight is the example IMO. Unlike Dwight, we will likely have to give up a top 5 pick AND Randle; for Dwight we bamboozled the 76ers with Bynum and gave up a 1st/2nd for Dwight. Way different stakes here. We mess up on Durant and give OKC Randle/top 5 pick, we stand to lose on Russell Westbrook too. It would set back this franchise another 5-6 years.
png
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject:

voted No...... rather have some of his teammates, though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: