Swaggy without a W turns saggy.
Dr. Jez
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
JIFISH wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Where would the Lakers be without Kobe Bryant? Magic Johnson?
Cavs without Lebron James.
Bulls without Michael Jordan...
Come on, we know that statement is false.

The Cavs have won as many titles without Lebron as they have with him. Lebron saved his title winning years for his time in Miami, remember?

The Cavs were terrible before Lebron.
Even though he didn't win them anything but an eastern conference title, if you look at their crappy history, they couldn't even win that. All most people remember about the Cavs prior to that was that they were the other team in the MJ highlight videos.

haha! It was always Craig Ehlo gettin punk'd by MJ
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Lostology wrote:
Wow, you guys are blaming Lin? It's his job and a contract year. Will the Lakers give him a nice contract if he tanks? If anyone should be blamed it would be BS for leaving Lin out there. So Lin should play bad to help the tank and help play himself out of the league? Any one of you guys would be doing the same if you were in Lin's shoes.

I'm not blaming Lin at all....it is BS fault.

That's one of the few things I don't blame Byron for. I can't think of any games where I saw a coach take out a hot player. Byron has actually had the dumbest rotations I've seen. He could have been giving more minutes to guys like Davis, Boozer, and Lin yet he has been giving a lot of their minutes to Sacre, Clarkson, and Kelly. His inept coaching skills have secured a lot of losses.

But he didn't tonight in such an important game and you don't blame BS?

no because no other coaches are doing that either. The lakers have been losing to other tank teams pretty regularly and those teams were giving a lot of minutes to the players that were doing well. Benching guys for playing well is over the top and I don't think any teams have gone that far to improve draft position.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject:

This one hurts!!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject:

I'm pissed.
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Lostology wrote:
Wow, you guys are blaming Lin? It's his job and a contract year. Will the Lakers give him a nice contract if he tanks? If anyone should be blamed it would be BS for leaving Lin out there. So Lin should play bad to help the tank and help play himself out of the league? Any one of you guys would be doing the same if you were in Lin's shoes.

That's one of the few things I don't blame Byron for. I can't think of any games where I saw a coach take out a hot player. Byron has actually had the dumbest rotations I've seen. He could have been giving more minutes to guys like Davis, Boozer, and Lin yet he has been giving a lot of their minutes to Sacre, Clarkson, and Kelly. His inept coaching skills have secured a lot of losses.

no because no other coaches are doing that either. The lakers have been losing to other tank teams pretty regularly and those teams were giving a lot of minutes to the players that were doing well. Benching guys for playing well is over the top and I don't think any teams have gone that far to improve draft position.

BS has done some of the worst, weirdest rotations I've ever seen but taking out someone playing so well would send a very wrong, bad message to the team. Its probably irrelevant anyway. There is little guarantee that the 1 will be so much better than a 4 or 5. Russell Westbrook was a 4 pick.
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
JIFISH wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The Cavs have won as many titles without Lebron as they have with him. Lebron saved his title winning years for his time in Miami, remember?

Even though he didn't win them anything but eastern conference titles, if you look at their crappy history, they couldn't even win that. All most people remember about the Cavs prior to that was that they were the other team in the MJ highlight videos.

Besides LeBron, who was an obvious, stand out, #1 franchise player, the Cavs had 3 more #1 picks, and a #4 pick. And still were a trash team in 2014 after having two #1's and a #4. I really don't see a top 5 pick as a guarantee that it will be the driving force in a Lakers franchise turnaround.

Doesn't Minnesota have a #1 and a lottery pick? Not really helping them much.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I was almost disappointed that we won, but then I saw that young kid jumping for joy in his lakers shirt, and it nearly brought a tear to my eye. Lets go Lakers!

Oh, put your drink down and man up, you pansy!

You're right. Sorry to all the true born losers out there.

Just joshing, homie. But, you are of the sound mind that us losing is actually us winning, si? We lost tonight. I do, however, commend your compassion for the kid who's heart is in a pure and naive state.

Si, pero... Us losing is not a guaranteed win for us. Its still a probability outcome. Chances we get pick 1,2,3,4,5, chances we make the right decision, chances said player doesn't get injured. Who else do we sign in the off season? Who do we sign in the off season after that? There are a lot of factors to lead to us wining long term.

Is there really a guy at #4 or #5 in the mock drafts that you think can really be a franchise changer who cant be equally replaced by a 2016 top 3 pick, or a good trade, or good FA acquisition? Even getting a #4, or #5 pick this draft doesn't guarantee much of anything in my mind. It doesn't really seem like there are any stand out #1 franchise players in the NCAA this year.

Whether we keep this years pick, or next years pick, there might not be much of a difference if other factors become the overwhelming ones contributing to our turnaround.

You're right, it is a probability outcome, and that's the underlying issue, which is that we have to increase our chances to keep the top 5 pick. That's why last night's game was so important. We could've been virtually tied for the 3rd spot and exponentially increase our odds of keeping the pick. Now, with this loss, we're 2 games back. That's a pretty huge swing considering this season's almost over.

Fwiw, I think there's an impact player to be had 1-4- whether it's Okafor, Towns, Russell, or Mudiay, it would be huge to get one of those guys on a rookie scale contract moving forward. To go through another crap season only to lose our lottery pick would be disastrous, imo.

As to your 2nd bullet point- I can't go through another year of this. 2 seasons of wanting to lose is enough for my lifetime.

Kiss my Converse.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

And Kobe wasn't a lottery pick, btw. He was drafted 17th by Charlotte and traded to us for Vlade Divac.

Kobe was the 12th pick...which is lottery...
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
JIFISH wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

And Kobe wasn't a lottery pick, btw. He was drafted 17th by Charlotte and traded to us for Vlade Divac.

two wrongs don't make it right.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Honeybadger81 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
JIFISH wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

...what?
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
JIFISH wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

...what?

man, kobe was drafted at 13th...
KLS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:

catman2u wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
JIFISH wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Even though he didn't win them anything but eastern conference titles, if you look at their crappy history, they couldn't even win that. All most people remember about the Cavs prior to that was that they were the other team in the MJ highlight videos.

Besides LeBron, who was an obvious, stand out, #1 franchise player, the Cavs had 3 more #1 picks, and a #4 pick. And still were a trash team in 2014 after having two #1's and a #4. I really don't see a top 5 pick as a guarantee that it will be the driving force in a Lakers franchise turnaround.

Doesn't Minnesota have a #1 and a lottery pick? Not really helping them much.

Agree. Look at Cleveland & Minne. What have all the #1 picks or lottery picks done for them (with the exception of Lebron)? To win, you need organization, reputation, FO willing to pay up for FAs, a great coach. Kobe can still win a championship if he & FO can manage to convince FAs to come. If he is committed to play like his 17 assists game against Lebron, and tone down his ego a bit, Lakers as a legendary franchise can still attract good FAs to come. Just pay up the luxury tax to get them. Let the veterans & FAs form the core of the starting units, and let JC & Lin etc be the backup unit. Lin has proven he can lead a bench to top NBA in stat. Why not let him do that 6th man for the right price and with the right players by his side. At least then the Lakers' offence will not have a let down much with the 2nd unit. That can decide the outcome of a lot of games. The Hawks this year is doing just that, with a strong bench led by the freakishly fast German pg Shroeder. We need that strong bench and Lin can provide that. So instead of focusing on an illusive draft of an unproven rookie and counting on him to turn around the franchise, there is a much better and faster way through the FAs. Kobe can still play a few more years if he can just slow down and play more like a playmaker while still able to score at will for more open shots. That is a much faster route back to contending for playoff then whole bunch of rookies, like Cleveland before Lebron's return.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject:

catman2u wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Lostology wrote:

BS has done some of the worst, weirdest rotations I've ever seen but taking out someone playing so well would send a very wrong, bad message to the team. Its probably irrelevant anyway. There is little guarantee that the 1 will be so much better than a 4 or 5. Russell Westbrook was a 4 pick.

BS's decisions were not indicative of his tanking, but rather his own weird, contradictory poor coaching decisions.

Quite frankly, BS has tried to win as he has consistently finished the games by sticking with hot players and/or veterans. This was nothing new.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Well, Kelly did look more effective on offense at the four, but damn did he and Black get banged on like a drum on the boards. The Thunder bigs feasted.
Anthony Peeler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject:

Kelly played decent but without a legit center, or even Hill, back there to get rebounds, Kelly is a huge defensive liability.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
Page 31 of 31
Jump to: