Why did the Lakers put such sloppy protection on their picks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Some of you guys are hilarious... hence the phrase "Hindsight is 20/20" is applied to people like you.

So freakin' true.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Better question: Given that pick protection is water under the bridge at this point, why didn't the Lakers protect their pick by tanking earlier this season?

This makes for good conversation, but in reality, it's not feasible. It's a lingo the media uses, but if there was an actual NBA manager or coach who has instructed their players to tank, we would have heard it by now. The Lakers have a bunch of 1 year dudes. They are not loyal to these players and vice versa. It would be completely asinine to have Byron or Mitch give instructions to these players to tank, and have them talk about it when they're not a Laker anymore. They only way to do it, is to do it indirectly like the Sixers. Management can manipulate the roster hoping that it'll produce losses, but no freaking way, not even in Philly do they instruct players to lose. Why would the player give a damn about a rookie coming in when they're not going to be here, or if the rookie will take their job?

In any case, you know the 4th spot has gotten the most #1 pick in the history of the lottery? Don't mess with karma. The Lakers will get the pick they deserve.

Karma? How has that worked for us the past few years? Kobe, Nash, Randle, etc.?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

Lakers not valuing draft picks is one of the reasons they are so bad. I mean we have teams that make the most of the lottery to help shore up their teams like the Spurs and Bulls.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Better question: Given that pick protection is water under the bridge at this point, why didn't the Lakers protect their pick by tanking earlier this season?

This makes for good conversation, but in reality, it's not feasible. It's a lingo the media uses, but if there was an actual NBA manager or coach who has instructed their players to tank, we would have heard it by now. The Lakers have a bunch of 1 year dudes. They are not loyal to these players and vice versa. It would be completely asinine to have Byron or Mitch give instructions to these players to tank, and have them talk about it when they're not a Laker anymore. They only way to do it, is to do it indirectly like the Sixers. Management can manipulate the roster hoping that it'll produce losses, but no freaking way, not even in Philly do they instruct players to lose. Why would the player give a damn about a rookie coming in when they're not going to be here, or if the rookie will take their job?

In any case, you know the 4th spot has gotten the most #1 pick in the history of the lottery? Don't mess with karma. The Lakers will get the pick they deserve.

As I've mentioned on LG many, many times: Players and coaches do not tank, front offices tank. We should have made roster adjustments earlier this season when it was obvious that we were not a playoff contender. That was the error; had we made a few adjustments to the roster we wouldn't be talking about how poorly the picks were protected.

And karma is an excuse for poor planning and execution.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

As I've mentioned on LG many, many times: Players and coaches do not tank, front offices tank. We should have made roster adjustments earlier this season when it was obvious that we were not a playoff contender. That was the error; had we made a few adjustments to the roster we wouldn't be talking about how poorly the picks were protected.

"Karma" is a B. Why do you think we are where we are at this time?
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Some of you guys are hilarious... hence the phrase "Hindsight is 20/20" is applied to people like you.

this is not hindsight. so all other 29 gm protect their pick but only our gm is not required to. No other gm has a pick less than 10. give me a break.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

this is not hindsight. so all other 29 gm protect their pick but only our gm is not required to. No other gm has a pick less than 10. give me a break.

No.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
I think the OP is asking a reasonable question here.

Seems sloppy to me on the part of the front office and it also seems like so far they are showing zero ability to build a team under the current version of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Ironically, I think the FO masterfully navigated through the new CBA with the CP3 trade. That was obviously foiled by Stern, but the next move of Nash/Howard were on its face brilliant moves too, where on paper we just gave up future 1sts and an oft injured center in Bynum (I'm so thankful we didn't have to extend that guy).

While I wish we had a top 10 protection, I didn't complain at the time as it didn't seem like we would need such stringent protection. At least we have top 5. Hopefully we can get a top 5 pick this year.

this is so untrue. we all knew nash was on his last leg. They not only traded for nash, they built the lakers around nash....that was not a brilliant move. the cp3 trade was halted I heard because of the timing. Stop giving credit for something that did not happen. I don't think jerry would have just walked away and let the league handle him like that. So stop saying jim did a good job on that. We have given up everything and got nothing in return for any of it. NOTHING! what the other poster said is true, they are not working well under this new cba agreement. Losing this draft pick will be devasting to our franchise and you cant keep saying everything is ok. They were supposed to protect that pick.

Nash was on his last leg?

2010: 75 games, 15/11/4 (91% games played)(All NBA 2nd team, NBA assist leader, All Star)
2011: 62 games, 13/11/4 (94% games played out of 66 games, All star)

So you wouldn't trade 2 future picks (in conjunction with picking up Dwight to add with Kobe/Pau) for an All-Star who played 93% of the total games the 2 seasons before?

They swung for the fences and missed. It happens. I'm not happy that it didn't work out but I was ecstatic about it at the time.

I would have done this trade....but nash was 38 years old...why would I give them two picks and such a high pick....regardless of if I thought our team was going to be so good, we would not need them....you always as a gm have to protect the top 10 pick. Im sorry this is just one more bad mistake. Im not blaming jim on this.....mitch is the one who has been around the block and should have done his job...no hindsight...just do your job.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

How many teams can say they've won 1 championship in the last 15 years? Or 1 championship in their franchise history? This is why Laker fans are hated. Spoiled.

There are ups and downs, and we have less downs than most franchises. Were you there between 1988 to 2000? This won't be your last drought, and 2010 won't be our last championship. People need to get some perspective.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

How many teams can say they've won 1 championship in the last 15 years? Or 1 championship in their franchise history? This is why Laker fans are hated. Spoiled.

There are ups and downs, and we have less downs than most franchises. Were you there between 1988 to 2000? This won't be your last drought, and 2010 won't be our last championship. People need to get some perspective.

I just took facetious exception to the notion of "karma" and the Lakers, since it has certainly not been kind to the Lakers. I believe with basketball, you choose your own destiny, not some metaphysical hand of Wilt or Kareem that providentially acts based on "basketball karma."

And yes, I was there for the Lakers post Magic. It wasn't pretty, but it wasn't this bad either. And I didn't hate the Smush era because we had an in his prime Kobe. It's funny but I try to remind Lakers fans that my Knicks friends haven't seen a championship in 40+ years.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

What were the roster adjustments that wouldn't be obvious? You want to sit guys like Boozer and Nick? Make saturday cash deliveries in black hefty bags to keep them quite? We simply do not have the worst team in the league. Send Lin and Clarkson to D-league? Lol! Getting 4th worst right now is pretty damn good. How about the fact that having BS IS tanking? LOL!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

BS isn't tanking at all. There were games that he clearly wanted to win, i.e. Bucks (personal beef w/Kidd) and the Celtics (obvious reasons).

What some of us were asking for was to buy out/waive Boozer, trade Lin/Davis for bag of donuts. Davis is quietly the biggest tank killer. We don't have his bird rights so he's an unrestricted FA regardless.
KOBE2007MVP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Bc Jim Boss is a moron and didn't think of other possibilities, like injuries to a 38-year old PG, DH not re-signing, Kobe getting older, etc!
What's worse is that we're stuck with this moron for a many more years to come
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

What were the roster adjustments that wouldn't be obvious? You want to sit guys like Boozer and Nick? Make saturday cash deliveries in black hefty bags to keep them quite? We simply do not have the worst team in the league. Send Lin and Clarkson to D-league? Lol! Getting 4th worst right now is pretty damn good. How about the fact that having BS IS tanking? LOL!

You're missing the big picture; finishing second to last would have given us 100% protection of our pick and all that was really needed was to jettison Boozer. Not quite the drama you're making it out to be.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BS isn't tanking at all. There were games that he clearly wanted to win, i.e. Bucks (personal beef w/Kidd) and the Celtics (obvious reasons).

What some of us were asking for was to buy out/waive Boozer, trade Lin/Davis for bag of donuts. Davis is quietly the biggest tank killer. We don't have his bird rights so he's an unrestricted FA regardless.

And Davis has been the biggest recepient of the "get rid of everyone but..." comments here.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Seems sloppy to me on the part of the front office and it also seems like so far they are showing zero ability to build a team under the current version of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Ironically, I think the FO masterfully navigated through the new CBA with the CP3 trade. That was obviously foiled by Stern, but the next move of Nash/Howard were on its face brilliant moves too, where on paper we just gave up future 1sts and an oft injured center in Bynum (I'm so thankful we didn't have to extend that guy).

While I wish we had a top 10 protection, I didn't complain at the time as it didn't seem like we would need such stringent protection. At least we have top 5. Hopefully we can get a top 5 pick this year.

this is so untrue. we all knew nash was on his last leg. They not only traded for nash, they built the lakers around nash....that was not a brilliant move. the cp3 trade was halted I heard because of the timing. Stop giving credit for something that did not happen. I don't think jerry would have just walked away and let the league handle him like that. So stop saying jim did a good job on that. We have given up everything and got nothing in return for any of it. NOTHING! what the other poster said is true, they are not working well under this new cba agreement. Losing this draft pick will be devasting to our franchise and you cant keep saying everything is ok. They were supposed to protect that pick.

The Jim Buss/Mitch Kupcake support boggles my mind.

I'm just not being disingenuous since I (and a lot of others) supported the move at the time. If you or others were the loud clarion voices hating the Nash/D12 move then you have that right. But if you supported the moves then and want to bash them now, well, that's disingenuous.

I didn't like the team offering 2 first round picks for Nash. As for Dwight, i actually thought that trade was fair, provided he "signed" with the team long term...
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I'm just not being disingenuous since I (and a lot of others) supported the move at the time. If you or others were the loud clarion voices hating the Nash/D12 move then you have that right. But if you supported the moves then and want to bash them now, well, that's disingenuous.

I didn't like the team offering 2 first round picks for Nash. As for Dwight, i actually thought that trade was fair, provided he "signed" with the team long term...

agreed.....at the time I was for it....I thought two picks were two high but ok...but im not a gm. its not my job to know. You have to take precautions...that's his job. he doesn't get a pass for sloppy work. The work has just been to sloppy over the last 3-4 yrs. I don't know if its jim or mitch....I don't really care but what I do know its been mistake after mistake. We might get the pick but it was still a mistake.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I didn't like the team offering 2 first round picks for Nash
. As for Dwight, i actually thought that trade was fair, provided he "signed" with the team long term...

Link?

FWIW, Pat Riley just gave 2 completely unprotected firsts for a guy who can walk in the offseason...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I'm not saying our FO is dumb or incompetent.
I'm just saying some FO's in the league have outperformed ours in recent years, due partly to the results of the CP3 and Nash trades.

Were you a part of the negotiations between the Lakers and Suns? Maybe the protection was a sticking point? Maybe the Suns wanted the picks outright but Kupchak put in the protection or the deal was off?

And it's not just the CP3 deals. The fact that Kobe is at the tail end of his career has a ton to do with where we are as well. There are multiple factors at play.

In either case, I don't get all the hooplah around the protection. It's a good thing for us.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject:

It's unfortunate people are judging the lottery protections in the PRESENT rather than in the PAST when they did it.

It makes perfect sense if you think about it.

You're the Lakers. You have Dwight Howard, Metta World Peace, Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant on your team. The Suns agree to send Steve freakin' Nash to your team in exchange for draft picks.

On paper.. a starting line-up of Nash, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, and Dwight look like instant-champions. That means, that those draft picks end up being two first round picks from the 26 to 30 range .. and two second round picks from the 56 to 60 range.

Who says no? Imo, the Lakers came away as bandits in that deal. Plain and simple.

Must I say AGAIN...

As of RIGHT NOW that deal currently cost the Lakers the following players..

ONE of these 2013 first round draft picks available at where the Lakers would've chosen:
Sergey Karasev
Tony Snell
Gorgui Dieng
Tim Hardaway Jr
Rudy Gobert

There's not a SINGLE second round pick in 2013 that is even doing anything meaningful at this moment.. so I won't bother.

Its too early to say anything about the 2014 second round pick.. maybe Nick Johnson, Jerami Grant, or Glenn Robinson .. but they got who they wanted in Jordan Clarkson so.. moot point?

So yeah, I'd say this was a great trade for them. The only reason people are complaining is because things went south and nothing panned out. There's no other way around it.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject:

That sloppy protection is about to cost us a completely wasted nightmare of a season with NO draft pick.

If that happens, Mitch Kupchak needs to be fired.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject:

cuz mitch is an idiot who never really valued picks now its biting in him in the butt. Dude should have been fired after 2013 season hes garbage GM. He owes his whole career to kobes brilliance even tho he wasted prime kobe
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
That sloppy protection is about to cost us a completely wasted nightmare of a season with NO draft pick.

If that happens, Mitch Kupchak needs to be fired.

We're trading a pick regardless of what happens this season.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
cuz mitch is an idiot who never really valued picks now its biting in him in the butt. Dude should have been fired after 2013 season hes garbage GM. He owes his whole career to kobes brilliance even tho he wasted prime kobe

This. extremely short sighted. he is getting burnt by the new CBA
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject:

The pick was fairly well protected. Top 14 first year and then top 5 second year. No one thought the lakers would be looking at a top pick 2 years in a row.

What is about to cost us this pick is the idiot coach who can't implement a decent tank job and a delusional front office staff that sticks to some imaginary code of honor no one gives a damn about.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: