BREAKING NEWS: Durant Out 4 to 6 Months due to surgery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Spoke to Podiatrist friend. Says that KD should have been out for the season once he had the initial fracture. That being said, he should be fine come next season.

It sounds like there was additional damage. Does his prognosis change (particularly propensity for future injury) now that he's set to get a bone graft?

I haven't spoken to him since this came out. But from what I know and what he told me previously. I think KD is done. Really sad.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Spoke to Podiatrist friend. Says that KD should have been out for the season once he had the initial fracture. That being said, he should be fine come next season.

It sounds like there was additional damage. Does his prognosis change (particularly propensity for future injury) now that he's set to get a bone graft?

I haven't spoken to him since this came out. But from what I know and what he told me previously. I think KD is done. Really sad.

KD ankle = Grant Hill. OKC made a terrible decision green lighting him to return too early.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject:

Hate to say it. I think he's done.

DONE done? If so, that would be immensely sad and a huge waste of such a great talent. I really, really hope you're wrong.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Hate to say it. I think he's done.

DONE done? If so, that would be immensely sad and a huge waste of such a great talent. I really, really hope you're wrong.

Oh believe me. So do I!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject:

I just have a sinking feeling when I visualize a bone graft. It sounds like the area of damage wasn't small enough to be allowed to heal on its own, and given that it is on his landing gear of an NBA athlete, I imagine that the structural integrity would have to be in question.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
the association wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
If we secure a top 3 pick is OKC stupid enough to turn it down for Westbrook?

That's awesome ...

I'm guessing the top pick AND Randle might not even be enough at this point ...

Plus he's a UFA in 2017. If Russ wants to come here, he'll come here. The FO just needs to make sure we have a good roster in two years. No need to cannibalize our own assets.

Youd be carzy not to part ways with a crapshot lotto prospect for a chance to get Westbrook in his prime right now. You'd still have Randle, Hou 1st and Wesbrook with a boatload of cap space. Rather then hoping that lotto pick turns into what westbrook is and thats not a high chance that will happen.

That's not the point. The point is he's an unrestricted free agent anyways in 2017. If our team sucks, he leaves in 2017. Wouldn't you rather him come here as a free agent and give up nothing? Again, it boils down to one thing...IF he wants to be here, why not be patient and build a roster instead of gutting the team because we're impatient?

You get him now because you dont have to fight 30 other Front Offices on getting him and what if you wait draft a bust with the lotto pick... then what? Westbrook decides to come to a lotto bound team? I agree with you if this is somebody like Rondo, Love (3rd tier guys) but for a talent like that I dont think I wanna play poker games. BTW you then secure his B rights when its time to re-up in 2017 as opposed to contending with some other team with max $$.

It's still poker because if he comes and doesn't like some element of something he could Dwight. You take a chance either way...

This is all moot anyway. OKC wouldnt allow him the chance in 2017 to test UFA( atleast i dont think they are that stupid) If you sit on your hands and say " we will wait till hes a UFA" he will prob already have been traded. Come to think of it the only FO that has recently allowed their STAR UFA to actually reach FA was .................... The Lakers multiple times

The Knicks also with Melo.

OKC doesn't have a choice whether or not to allow him to enter UFA in 2017. If Russ wants to be a UFA in 2017, he's a UFA 2017. As of this very moment, his contract status is that he is in fact a UFA in 2017. In fact, I garun-(bleep)-tee he's a UFA in 2017 just like his boy Durant will be in 2016 and any estimation on what OKC can do to prevent it actually is telling in terms of understanding the CBA.

I think he meant that OKC would trade him first. He would not reach UFA with OKC.

Last edited by Reflexx on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook is the man now in OKC and maybe in the league.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Going to have to take it from LeBron.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Going to have to take it from LeBron.

As his hairline and residual HgH fades Russ will grab it.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I just have a sinking feeling when I visualize a bone graft. It sounds like the area of damage wasn't small enough to be allowed to heal on its own, and given that it is on his landing gear of an NBA athlete, I imagine that the structural integrity would have to be in question.

Jones' fractures have a high rate of malunion due to the fracture happening in an area that has a poor blood supply called a watershed area. It's supplied by two arteries, neither do the job well. So when there is a fracture in that area, it just doesn't heal well. Now he needs another surgery and a bone graft which means the healing is poor. I just don't think it can take the rigors of the NBA. He's a big man with foot problems and now has a very bad injury. I think it's just sad.

So, if he is done. Is he a HOF'er?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Jones' fractures have a high rate of malunion due to the fracture happening in an area that has a poor blood supply called a watershed area. It's supplied by two arteries, neither do the job well. So when there is a fracture in that area, it just doesn't heal well. Now he needs another surgery and a bone graft which means the healing is poor. I just don't think it can take the rigors of the NBA. He's a big man with foot problems and now has a very bad injury. I think it's just sad.

Well, it is the basketball HoF, not the NBA HoF. Great HS career, short but decorated college career, ROY, 4x Scoring Titles, MVP, 6 ASG, 5 1st teams, FIBA/Olympic Gold Medal...

I think it would be difficult not to - certainly, many voters will vote *knowing* what more he could have done.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject:

Sadly, I'd have to say he's lacking the body of work to qualify.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

As of now, he doesn't even qualify for that NBA Gametime App commercial. League removed him.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
the association wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
If we secure a top 3 pick is OKC stupid enough to turn it down for Westbrook?

That's awesome ...

I'm guessing the top pick AND Randle might not even be enough at this point ...

Plus he's a UFA in 2017. If Russ wants to come here, he'll come here. The FO just needs to make sure we have a good roster in two years. No need to cannibalize our own assets.

Youd be carzy not to part ways with a crapshot lotto prospect for a chance to get Westbrook in his prime right now. You'd still have Randle, Hou 1st and Wesbrook with a boatload of cap space. Rather then hoping that lotto pick turns into what westbrook is and thats not a high chance that will happen.

That's not the point. The point is he's an unrestricted free agent anyways in 2017. If our team sucks, he leaves in 2017. Wouldn't you rather him come here as a free agent and give up nothing? Again, it boils down to one thing...IF he wants to be here, why not be patient and build a roster instead of gutting the team because we're impatient?

You get him now because you dont have to fight 30 other Front Offices on getting him and what if you wait draft a bust with the lotto pick... then what? Westbrook decides to come to a lotto bound team? I agree with you if this is somebody like Rondo, Love (3rd tier guys) but for a talent like that I dont think I wanna play poker games. BTW you then secure his B rights when its time to re-up in 2017 as opposed to contending with some other team with max $$.

It's still poker because if he comes and doesn't like some element of something he could Dwight. You take a chance either way...

This is all moot anyway. OKC wouldnt allow him the chance in 2017 to test UFA( atleast i dont think they are that stupid) If you sit on your hands and say " we will wait till hes a UFA" he will prob already have been traded. Come to think of it the only FO that has recently allowed their STAR UFA to actually reach FA was .................... The Lakers multiple times

The Knicks also with Melo.

OKC doesn't have a choice whether or not to allow him to enter UFA in 2017. If Russ wants to be a UFA in 2017, he's a UFA 2017. As of this very moment, his contract status is that he is in fact a UFA in 2017. In fact, I garun-(bleep)-tee he's a UFA in 2017 just like his boy Durant will be in 2016 and any estimation on what OKC can do to prevent it actually is telling in terms of understanding the CBA.

I think he meant that OKC would read him first. He would not reach UFA with OKC.

I see what he's saying but just because OKC makes the offer doesn't mean he has to take it. There are many superstars that reach UFA...even Kobe in 2004, Lebron several times over, so on and so forth. Ultimately, the decision is Russ and Russ' alone. There's nothing about "letting" him reach it. If he wants it, it's his.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Whenever I have heard the term Jones fracture it has never ended well. Hard to believe that the guy was almost 100% healthy in his career and one injury could rack him up. Similar to Malone, but at least his career was ending when he suffered his injury. And I would say yes, HOFer.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Wonder if he will do blood platelet therapy like Kobe did in Germany.
It's not illegal based on league rules. I think it would help his healing.
Hyperbaric medical treatment has had mixed results with bone fracture healing as well.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject:

What do you think are the odds of his agent requesting an extension this summer? OKC would be placed in the unenviable position of extending not knowing if he is completely healthy. I am sure they want to wait out the season before extending. His agent could demand extend or trade. Here's the list of teams. ..
Xfactor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

How similar or different is Durant's injury from Randle's?

This article mentions Julius Randle's injury in high school as a Jones fracture: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/10/12/6965691/kevin-durant-jones-fracture-injury-nba-thunder

There have been reports that Randle's may not have healed properly then but I'm not sure as to their validity. Is it the bone graft for Durant that signals the increased cause for concern?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Xfactor wrote:

This article mentions Julius Randle's injury in high school as a Jones fracture: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/10/12/6965691/kevin-durant-jones-fracture-injury-nba-thunder

There have been reports that Randle's may not have healed properly then but I'm not sure as to their validity. Is it the bone graft for Durant that signals the increased cause for concern?

Listening to the interview with Randle recently that Trudell did, I don't think Randle's surgery on his foot was for an injury. From what he said, it seemed like it was a location that could possibly have a future injury due to what you stated. It wasn't necessary to have surgery to his foot but he opted to do so since he had his leg broken. Kill two birds with one stone since he was out for the season anyhow. Good decision imo! Preventative more than anything.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Xfactor wrote:

Listening to the interview with Randle recently that Trudell did, I don't think Randle's surgery on his foot was for an injury. From what he said, it seemed like it was a location that could possibly have a future injury due to what you stated. It wasn't necessary to have surgery to his foot but he opted to do so since he had his leg broken. Kill two birds with one stone since he was out for the season anyhow. Good decision imo! Preventative more than anything.

Na our guy legit broke his foot in high school.. Never had the screw taken out and that was the source of the potential problem. So they took the screw out now
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject:

So I hope we're not clamoring to have a 2nd foundational player with a Jones fracture on this team...unless you want to get Brandon Jennings too.

2 of every kind of injury!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject:

(bleep). You just have to hope that we did our due-diligence on Randle without our usual medical staff.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Well, it is the basketball HoF, not the NBA HoF. Great HS career, short but decorated college career, ROY, 4x Scoring Titles, MVP, 6 ASG, 5 1st teams, FIBA/Olympic Gold Medal...

I think it would be difficult not to - certainly, many voters will vote *knowing* what more he could have done.

Rumor is that Jo Jo White just got elected. That should be a reminder that the standards for the Basketball Hall of Fame aren't as high as some people would like them to be. That's not a knock on Jo Jo White. He was a good player. But he was not a superstar.

Durant would cruise into the Hall if he never played another game.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Let's see. KD has led the league in scoring in four out of the last six seasons and you can't even really count this season because he hardly played.

Been a perenial All Star, has led his team to the postseason all, but his first two seasons in his career in a brutal conference.

Three conference Finals appearances and one Finals appearance. The only reason he doesn't have a ring is because of injuries. OKC has had a key player out for the season or banged up in now three consecutive seasons.

Durant is absolutely a Hall of Famer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: