Clarkson's ceiling?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is Clarkson's most likely ceiling?
Journeyman
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Solid backup
8%
 8%  [ 11 ]
Solid starter
39%
 39%  [ 52 ]
Makes the all-star team once or twice
33%
 33%  [ 44 ]
Multiple time all-star
15%
 15%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 131

Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
They have been eliminated from playoff contention and the next possible way to improve the team is through the draft. We lose the pick if we are not bottom 5. Clarkson can play and gain valuable experience during this stretch. Clarkson can can have a full offseason to work even more on his game. It's sad that a ton of you can not and will not see that losing is imperative in improving the franchise adding another stud along with Randle and maybe Clarkson (if he has it in him to be productive in games that count in a winning atmosphere). If we had no worries about top 5 protection (Mitch's fault on trusting the health of a late 30s PG) then you still get a top 10 young player who could be a star or a productive, young role player over time. This is what the tankers are livid about and any of you arguing this are beyond reason.

Peace.

Adding a veteran with proven experience is greater than adding a rookie who has none and could wash out. Ideally you get both, but teams don't rebuild with draft picks.

Teams don't rebuild with draft picks? Then what do you call what OKC was able to do with Durant, Westbrook and Harden?

Gotta agree with VLF on this one. Trades/FA are dealing in known quantities.

Also, consider using the Spurs next time as an example. Citing OKC shows nothing at all. I don't think VLF meant that it is impossible to build via draft but rather, a lot more difficult and I tend to agree.

What I meant with my post was that even if you don't get a championship, you get assets which can be traded for. You can't trade for players without getting a draft pick that is actually worth something. So draft picks while not being the entirety of what entails to building a championship team, is a part of the necessary building blocks.

They won't be assets if they don't pan out. See Johnson, Wesley.

You won't know unless you actually have that player. I mean what's the point of drafting at all if you are worried that every player will turn into a Wes or Oden. There are plenty of other players that panned out. It's always a gamble when drafting but that doesn't mean it's not worth it.
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
Mitch needs to send this dude to hawaii starting now till until the season over with. The future is bright for him but if he keeps playing the way he is playing and winds up costing us a top 5 pick he will play the majority of his career with really crappy teams. So think longterm clarkson and slow it down or suffer the consequences.

You really, really over value that draft pick. Way, way over value.

Losing that draft pick would put us back for years. Don't know how you can say that draft pick isn't important.

Well I didn't say that, so? Assuming that Clarkson plays a dozen years, I don't think losing this pick would set us back most of that time. There are other ways to rebuild this team.

I would agree with you if dumb and dumber weren't running the show.

You try to have an intelligent discussion and then you get crap like this.

How about you post the way you want to post and I'll post the way I want to post and we will leave at that.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
They have been eliminated from playoff contention and the next possible way to improve the team is through the draft. We lose the pick if we are not bottom 5. Clarkson can play and gain valuable experience during this stretch. Clarkson can can have a full offseason to work even more on his game. It's sad that a ton of you can not and will not see that losing is imperative in improving the franchise adding another stud along with Randle and maybe Clarkson (if he has it in him to be productive in games that count in a winning atmosphere). If we had no worries about top 5 protection (Mitch's fault on trusting the health of a late 30s PG) then you still get a top 10 young player who could be a star or a productive, young role player over time. This is what the tankers are livid about and any of you arguing this are beyond reason.

Peace.

Adding a veteran with proven experience is greater than adding a rookie who has none and could wash out. Ideally you get both, but teams don't rebuild with draft picks.

Teams don't rebuild with draft picks? Then what do you call what OKC was able to do with Durant, Westbrook and Harden?

Also, consider using the Spurs next time as an example. Citing OKC shows nothing at all. I don't think VLF meant that it is impossible to build via draft but rather, a lot more difficult and I tend to agree.

What I meant with my post was that even if you don't get a championship, you get assets which can be traded for. You can't trade for players without getting a draft pick that is actually worth something. So draft picks while not being the entirety of what entails to building a championship team, is a part of the necessary building blocks.

Trades/FA's aren't necessarily a lock to pan out either. See Howard, Dwight and Nash, Steve.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerEric wrote:

Peace.

Trades/FA's aren't necessarily a lock to pan out either. See Howard, Dwight and Nash, Steve.

Nothing is a lock. We're speaking to what has a greater likelihood of success. When you trade or sign a known quantity, you have the advantage of knowing how that player has performed in the league plus injury history, personality, leadership, etc.

I think it's more rare than not that a team builds a contender through their own draft picks.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerEric wrote:

Peace.

Nothing is a lock. We're speaking to what has a greater likelihood of success. When you trade or sign a known quantity, you have the advantage of knowing how that player has performed in the league plus injury history, personality, leadership, etc.

I think it's more rare than not that a team builds a contender through their own draft picks.

San Antonio seems to have done a decent job of building a contender through the draft. Duncan, Parker, Ginobili
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

clarkson will be decent NBA player. If he becomes a solid starter (18 and 7) the Laker Nation is strong enough to get him in the All star game. it'd be great if he developed into that.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
clarkson will be decent NBA player. If he becomes a solid starter (18 and 7) the Laker Nation is strong enough to get him in the All star game. it'd be great if he developed into that.

Yeah, this is my thought too. He seems like he should develop into a strong starter, but with the size of the Lakers fanbase and starvation for stars, I could definitely see him getting voted into the all-star game a couple times
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

I'm not talking about locks here. I'm talking about options. Nothing is guaranteed in the NBA but you give yourself chances by drafting good talent which then can be turned into assets. I mean, just because you mentioned a failure doesn't mean that the pass success is invalidated.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject:

A solid starter isn't 18 pts and 7 ast, those are all star numbers. If Clarkson can avg 18/7/5 and were in the playoffs he's going to be a perrenial all star. In three years, CP3 and Parker will both be past their prime and we don't know how long Westbrook will hold up. He will have a good chance to make it.
scott12199
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerEric wrote:

Peace.

curry, Thomas, Barnes
Hartford, Teague, Schroeder
Hibbert and George
Aldridge lilard batum

good drafts and a couple of good signings is how you rebuild. the signings dont even have to be allstars.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject:

scott12199 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerEric wrote:

Peace.

curry, Thomas, Barnes
Hibbert and George
Aldridge lilard batum

good drafts and a couple of good signings is how you rebuild. the signings dont even have to be allstars.

Yeah, I never said free agent signing didn't matter.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
scott12199 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerEric wrote:

Peace.

curry, Thomas, Barnes
Hibbert and George
Aldridge lilard batum

Yeah, I never said free agent signing didn't matter.

And that was the point of my draft pick comment, picks along with FAs gives the team more flexibility. That is contrary to some who look to rebuild only with picks.
Clutch24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Is LakerEric the father of Kobee2.0?
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Solid starter. He might be better than Van Exel. I'm looking at Nick's rookie stats and Clarkson's numbers as a starter match up very well.

Nick the Quick: 33.3 min; 0.394 fg, 0.338 3-pt fg, 2.9 Reb, 5.8 Ast, 1.8 TO, 13.6 pts

Clarkson: 31.0 min; 0.452, 0.299 3-pt fg, 4.1 Reb, 4.53 Ast, 2.2 TO, 14.9 pts

Clarkson's been reverting back to rushing on his floaters. He still needs work on the pacing, but very very favorable comparison to Van Exel.
Rugbar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Little surprised voters were so pessimistic. Where's the selection for Hall-of-Fame? The question was "ceiling," not "most likely outcome." I think he will most likely be a solid starter or backup, but I wouldn't rule out all star games. He's putting up better stats than Nash did his first year. Clarkson is among the best point guards in this rookie class for sure and has probably improved more this year than any of them.

By the same token, turning into a journeyman isn't beyond the realm of possible floors, either.

I think for Clarkson the range of possible outcomes is wide.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Clutch24 wrote:

Watch the personal attacks (which I take this to be on the assumption that you believe, also, that Kobe2.0 one is not someone to one would like to be compared to). Focus on the post, not the poster. Thanks.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Clutch24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:

Watch the personal attacks (which I take this to be on the assumption that you believe, also, that Kobe2.0 one is not someone to one would like to be compared to). Focus on the post, not the poster. Thanks.

It is a question, not a personal attack. Additionally, you can't claim it to be one just based off your assumption.
alexamerling43
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
I could see him as a taller version of Monta Ellis. Next season, if we don't draft a point guard, I wouldn't be suprised if he put up 16.5ppg, 6.5apg, 5.0rpg.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Reminds me of Monta with how well he gets to the hoop. Similar size and both second round picks.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I can see him potentially averaging 22 pts 6 reb 9 ast 2 stls
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject:

I see him as a conley level player. can maybe max out as an ellis or teague.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:

Considering that Conley is a better player than Teague, seems you have it backward.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

Considering that Conley is a better player than Teague, seems you have it backward.

Really? Teague made the all star team, conley never has. Conley has never really been the number 1 option of a team, while teague has. I think "better" here is very relative but for clarkson's skill set I think maxing out would be closer to an ellis or teague personally. An athletic scoring pg who attacks the basket pretty well.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
24 wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

Really? Teague made the all star team, conley never has. Conley has never really been the number 1 option of a team, while teague has. I think "better" here is very relative but for clarkson's skill set I think maxing out would be closer to an ellis or teague personally. An athletic scoring pg who attacks the basket pretty well.

Conley is playing in a conference that is stacked with guards. Kobe, CP3, Westbrook, Harden, Curry, etc. But I expect most GMs would take him over Teague. Not knocking Teague, but Conley is legit.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
24 wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

Conley is playing in a conference that is stacked with guards. Kobe, CP3, Westbrook, Harden, Curry, etc. But I expect most GMs would take him over Teague. Not knocking Teague, but Conley is legit.

I think conley is very good! Statistically probably better than teague, but since we're classifying based on all star appearances etc in the poll, I'm using that measure to rank clarkson's potential player comps. In which case teague would both be a better comparison due to skill set and ceiling.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson's ceiling is multiple time MVP.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: