SPL Game 5. LAL 114 WAS 85

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: SPL Game 5. LAL 114 WAS 85

Quote:
The Game

Score is not reflective of a typical high scoring, fast paced game. Instead, the game was rather sporadic. Tempo was pushed often, but the Laker team could hardly get a solid 5 minutes of smart play on the floor in one spurt. At halftime, the score was 55-47. The Lakers played a solid 3rd quarter, and blew out the Wizards in the 4th with some good moments of triangle execution. What happens when the team executes like they should? Despite solid talent from the Wizards, the entire quarter was a scoring run in Laker favor 35 to 17.

The Players

Washington Wizards

Surprisingly, neither of the 2nd round picks, Oleksiy Pecherov and Vladimir Veremeenko played. Both are 6′10″ power forwards with perimeter ability. The Wizards do boast a formidable lineup;, Will Solomon from Clemson, 2nd rounder Peter John Ramos, 2nd round high school prospect Andray Blatche, and undrafted Rashad Anderson from UConn.

http://lakers.mostvaluablenetwork.com/

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks Mike! It will be interesting to see how the Lakers respond tomorrow, a back to back game against the Griz and Rudy Gay.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject:

Thanks Mike! An excellent article.

It is good to see Bynum is bouncing back.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: SPL Game 5. LAL 114 WAS 85

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
The Game

Score is not reflective of a typical high scoring, fast paced game. Instead, the game was rather sporadic. Tempo was pushed often, but the Laker team could hardly get a solid 5 minutes of smart play on the floor in one spurt. At halftime, the score was 55-47. The Lakers played a solid 3rd quarter, and blew out the Wizards in the 4th with some good moments of triangle execution. What happens when the team executes like they should? Despite solid talent from the Wizards, the entire quarter was a scoring run in Laker favor 35 to 17.

The Players

Washington Wizards

Surprisingly, neither of the 2nd round picks, Oleksiy Pecherov and Vladimir Veremeenko played. Both are 6′10″ power forwards with perimeter ability. The Wizards do boast a formidable lineup;, Will Solomon from Clemson, 2nd rounder Peter John Ramos, 2nd round high school prospect Andray Blatche, and undrafted Rashad Anderson from UConn.

http://lakers.mostvaluablenetwork.com/

Pecherov was a first rounder, Mike.

Any idea why teams have been holding back on their talent in this year's SPL? It seems to be a common theme (my guess is competition from the Vegas league for the Mavs, or rest period for the Wiz). As you pointed out, they'll be facing Lowry and Gay next... I'm really looking forward to that test. Let's hope Farmar is healthy.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject:

Great article Mike. My question is about Pinnock. To quote your article:

"Danilo Pinnock scored a quiet 13 points on 6 of 7 shooting with 3 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals..."

Bottom line, IMO he is having a solid SPL. Now granted it IS the SPL, and Wafer did pretty well there last year. Right now, who would get a roster spot if it came down to those two? It just seems like Pinnock is grasping the triangle a little better than Wafer which would bode well for the Lakers in the long run.
InTheRefrigerator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Great article Mike. My question is about Pinnock. To quote your article:

"Danilo Pinnock scored a quiet 13 points on 6 of 7 shooting with 3 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals..."

Bottom line, IMO he is having a solid SPL. Now granted it IS the SPL, and Wafer did pretty well there last year. Right now, who would get a roster spot if it came down to those two? It just seems like Pinnock is grasping the triangle a little better than Wafer which would bode well for the Lakers in the long run.

Pinnock did most of his work in the 2nd period. Green got the start and Wafer replaced him. Pinnock entered at the end of the first and to start the 2nd scored on a drive down the lane, scored on a give and go & 1, off a Bynum assist and finished with an end to end drive to the basket.

Defensively he was active and offensively made the right passes, was in the good position off the ball etc. Wafer just seems to want to run and shoot and pulls up if there isn't a lane vs. passing and running the offense. He seemed to clank more jumpers than he made. On the plus side he is fast but IMO is a decent player that isn't suited for this offense.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:

I hope Bynum and Farmar aren't lacking energy tomorrow. I want to see both teams going at it strong, not tired.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:

Nice to hear our young players are gaining good exposure. Would have been better though if R. Ukic or A. Blatche is in our lineup.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject:

Pinnock gets the nod over Wafer.

LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject:

Nice read Mike.

I like Pinnock's consistency. He seems to come up with a good effort every game and always within the system. Wafer seems to be a bit more hit and miss. Wafer also seems only be able to get his offense outside the tri.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject:

LakerFan1972 wrote:
Nice read Mike.

I like Pinnock's consistency. He seems to come up with a good effort every game and always within the system. Wafer seems to be a bit more hit and miss. Wafer also seems only be able to get his offense outside the tri.

Von Wafer is like a late 70s Porsche 911 Turbo. Too slow until the turbo spools up. When it does, you don't know how much power is being unleashed, unpredictably.

Wafer has 2 speeds. Walking and sprinting. He can't slow down his game enough for the offense, nor exert control of speed within the triangle.

He can't play full-speed 82 games a season.

mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject:

Mike, you mentioned that Blatche looked closer to 6'9'' than 6'11'' but that he had put on some weight. Do you think he can defend the 4, or will he end up playing the 3 exclusively?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
Mike, you mentioned that Blatche looked closer to 6'9'' than 6'11'' but that he had put on some weight. Do you think he can defend the 4, or will he end up playing the 3 exclusively?

3 excusively. Never seen a player acquire guard skills so quickly.

ALbino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

I actually thought either A) somebody else was wearing Blatche's jersey during warmups B) there must be two Blatches or C) I had misread scouting reports and their roster sheet. He definitely doesn't look anywhere near 7' like they said he was out of high school. The Wizards roster lists him at 6'11" (so I guess he shrunk), but that's still pushing it. Either way, he's no center by any stretch :)

AL.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject:

I was really hoping we would have taken Blatche instead of Wafer last year. Seems like he would be a real good future fit with the tri.

Mike, what player would you compare Blatche's game to? Maybe a slightly less athletic D.Miles but with actual perimeter skills?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Mike, what player would you compare Blatche's game to? Maybe a slightly less athletic D.Miles but with actual perimeter skills?

Qyntel Woods and Jonathan Bender.... at least on the SPL level.

Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Thats a great report,thanks very much.....

You get me out of the fog on whats up with the Lakers here in the Summer.I appreaciate it.

Bynum is growing up quite well in comparison to last season,very nice sign of things to come.As long as this 18 year old continues like this we have a real nice blue chip for the future.....

Thanks again MIke....
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Von Wafer is like a late 70s Porsche 911 Turbo. Too slow until the turbo spools up. When it does, you don't know how much power is being unleashed, unpredictably. Wafer has 2 speeds. Walking and sprinting. He can't slow down his game enough for the offense, nor exert control of speed within the triangle. He can't play full-speed 82 games a season.
Thanks for the report. Seems like Von Wafer is a player like Smush - a lot of talent that haven't yet found the ability to play consistently for 82 games or 48 minutes. Sad but true statements of many players "trying" to make it in the NBA
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:

damn Dickadopoli finished with 20 and 10

bynum cant allow these dudes to score on him like that.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject:

^That wasn't Bynum allowing him to do that. Are you even reading what DB and I wrote?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: