Playoff positioning or playoff tanking?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Playoff positioning or playoff tanking?

Cavs tanked both games against the Celtics to eliminate the chance of having to play the Pacers.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject:

No outcry from the league for this level of blatant resting? Where's the 250,000 fine from the commish office?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Why even be scared of the Pacers? Paul George is not a threat right now.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Pacers slaughter the Hawks.

Atlanta's easily the most overrated team this season by FAR..
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Playoff positioning or playoff tanking?

defense wrote:
Cavs tanked both games against the Celtics to eliminate the chance of having to play the Pacers.

Lebron and Co are a bunch of (bleep).... if they have to tank in fear of another team than they will not make it to the finals
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject:

Isn't it kinda normal to rest guys before the playoffs? It was a joke that the Spurs got fined for doing it a little earlier in the season.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Pacers slaughter the Hawks.

Atlanta's easily the most overrated team this season by FAR..

Nobody knows how the Hawks will play in a 4 game series. Remember in the playoffs theres this thing called adjustments and the game slows down. Teams that have played well in the season have flopped in the postseason because of this.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Playoff positioning or playoff tanking?

defense wrote:

The Cavs had second place in the division locked up before the Celtics game. The outcomes of the Celtics games, whether a win or a loss, have no effect on who the Cavs face in the first round.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Playoff positioning or playoff tanking?

activeverb wrote:
defense wrote:

The Cavs had second place in the division locked up before the Celtics game. The outcomes of the Celtics games, whether a win or a loss, have no effect on who the Cavs face in the first round.

If the Celtics lost both games against the Cavs and the Nets lose then the Pacers could theoretically move into the 7th seed. Who does the 7th seed play? Anyway, really I'm just hating on the Cavs and Lecrab but you insist on sucking the joy out of my LG life.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
No outcry from the league for this level of blatant resting? Where's the 250,000 fine from the commish office?

It was a different situation than the Spurs. The Cavs didn't play Lebron or Love for one game (Irving is apparently hurt.) The Spurs, in contrast, didn't even bring a bunch of healthy stars on a road trip -- so they got a $250,000 fine, according to the press statement, for not having them available to play.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Playoff positioning or playoff tanking?

defense wrote:
activeverb wrote:
defense wrote:

If the Celtics lost both games against the Cavs and the Nets lose then the Pacers could theoretically move into the 7th seed. Who does the 7th seed play? Anyway, really I'm just hating on the Cavs and Lecrab but you insist on sucking the joy out of my LG life.

Now I think what you're saying. I hadn't thought about how the Celtics wins would affect their playoff standing potentially.

Personally, I think your theory is a stretch. My take is much more simple: the Cavs just rested guys because the game was meaningless to them.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Playoff positioning or playoff tanking?

defense wrote:

Oh, I thought it was Brad Steven's amazing coaching!

The Weakstern Conference has been a cake walk to the finals for Lebron his whole career. Kinda sad cleveland is dodging teams. SMH.

Makes me wonder how Lebron would've fared against Jordan's Eastern Conference (Bird, Isaiah Thomas, Ewing, Mourning, Shaq, Reggie Miller, the list goes on). How about the Western Conference Kobe dominated (Karl Malone, Stockton, Duncan, David Robinson, Pippen, ZBO, Chris Webber, Yao Ming, McGrady, Durant, Westbrook, Melo, CP3, etc).

How many future HOFers has Lebron gone through in the playoffs coming out of the weakstern conference? Now he's dodging 1 of the few guys in the conference who could be a HOFer one day (Paul George). SMH. We are all witnesses!
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Playoff positioning or playoff tanking?

activeverb wrote:
defense wrote:
activeverb wrote:
defense wrote:

Now I think what you're saying. I hadn't thought about how the Celtics wins would affect their playoff standing potentially.

Personally, I think your theory is a stretch. My take is much more simple: the Cavs just rested guys because the game was meaningless to them.

Verb my bro, Bronze, Irving and Love apparently don't need the "rest" anymore because they are playing tonight against the Pistons, just sayin.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: