Lakers Skimp on Training Room Budget
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'd rather have the Lakers spend $10m on PHX's training staff over $10m on Rondo.

Agreed.

The thing about the salary cap is that it only applies to player salaries, in an attempt to bring parity between big market teams with lots of revenue and small market teams with cash flow problems. But ancillary salaries (coaches, trainers, etc) and expenditures (equipment, amenities, etc.) are exempt from that salary cap limit.

So big market cash-flushed franchises, such as the Lakers, can leverage their money to create a competitive advantage that bypasses the salary cap enforced parity restrictions.

Only reason not to do so is if you have either a cheap owner despite the large market (which I don't think applies here, given their willingness to spend on Kobe's farewell tour), or if you have an incompetent owner or advisers/staff locked into outdated models instead of investing in cutting edge innovation.

You can't blame it all on Jimbo, since he has others he leans on for advice (such as Mitch, and perhaps Vitti when it comes to medical). It would have to be a collective failure to not invest in newfangled cutting edge technologies and methodologies, from analytics (weren't the Lakers one of the teams woefully underrepresented at the annual Sloan Analytics Conference at MIT?) to kinetic computer modeling of individual athlete bodies (the Phoenix medical staff problably holds those computer programs and algorithms and intellectual property as trade secrets) to ubiquitous data collection (like the accelerometers that Morey embeds into his players' practice uniforms, or the SportsVu camera system that has only recently been made league wide, long after the cutting edge teams have already been using it).

Sadly, given the penchant of the FO to hire guys like Byron Scott, who are "old school" instead of invested in the modern NBA advancements, coupled with the embarrassing lack of Lakers representation at Sloan, this $80M investment seems of a piece. Major investment in construction and a prestige project, not so much in advanced tech or modernized methodologies to furnish that shell of new construction.

Spending $10M on the Phoenix medical staff would probably be more bang for the buck and a lasting benefit for the Lakers franchise that will pay dividend long after Rondo has retired.

Last edited by AirShooter on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Thanks for the tidbit.

If true, let's hope this changes with the new practice facility they're building

That's what I'm thinking too. Talk to that guy after the new practice facility is built, that could be a step into the direction of paying more.
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
AirShooter wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
As I mentioned before, the Jimbo Era began when the Lakers made massive layoffs. That's the mark of new management, and it tells you the vision of new management. As such saving money on equipment is consistent with cash flow optimization and should not be a surprise.

Interesting theory, but considering they just got approval to build their new $80 million training facility yesterday, I'm not sure if I buy it.

Frankly, my concern is not so much the dollar figure, but how it's being used. It's good that they realize they need to invest in it. But that article doesn't fill me with hope.

The article indicates the need for expansion based on needing extra room, and also to provide the basic amenities that players now expect from training facilities (video room, nutrition, etc.).

What is notably lacking and a worry is that the article doesn't indicate the inclusion of any of the advanced technologies and methodologies pioneered by places like Phoenix, or heck, even Houston.

Things like the individualized computer simulations that Phoenix creates to model each player's bones and tendons and musculature, with frequent periodic body muscle force measurements, to indicate where a player might be overcompensating during recovery, or what changes of gait and such need to be implemented to reduce the potential for future injury. Or the cryogenic chambers employed for post game recovery by Houston.

The new Lakers facility is simply spending money to create the physical space (they mention part of the $80M construction is to create space for corporate offices, and courts for the D-fenders, etc.). They include the basic amenities players expect like nutrition/weight room/video watching/community hangout. But the article is notably silent on investing any of the $80M into any of the cutting edge technologies employed by Phoenix or Houston or other NBA teams in their training facilities.

I hope it's not a new $80M corporate office overlooking the D-Fenders court and Vitti's leeches parked next to grass-fed cattle, with some basic player expected amenities parked inside.

The Lakers have the money, spend it on the Phoenix medical staff, or invest in the cutting edge tech being employed by Phoenix and build your own version. Not just a $80M construction of a glitzy shell with outdated innards.

The article was a report of a council meeting. What they fill the building with had nothing to do with the story.

I know that the knee jerk reaction to anything the team does these days is skepticism and negativity, but you don't spend that kind of money on a new facility and then fill it with stuff from Ikea and Craigslist.

I do hope you're right. But I'm not sure they even know where to begin. Just spending money won't fix the problem if you don't even know how or where to spend it. You'll just inflate the wallets of contractors or suppliers looking to sell equipment.

The money should be spent on people and expertise, to build that foundation. Buy the Phoenix medical staff (a far cry from Vitti and grass fed). Create a large enough analytics staff that you don't get embarrassed by an absence at Sloan, where even Cuban speaks. These people, with the requisite expertise, will help guide you on what to spend money on, what equipment to get, etc.

No quick fixes, but money can turbo charge the process. But it needs to be built from the ground up, one person at a time to assemble the specialized staff. Vitti is not the one to do that, and he's on his way out anyway.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:

AirShooter wrote:
The Lakers have got to be one of the most financially sound franchises in the NBA, given the market size.

Would this skimping be by directives up top? In which case, we'd have to wonder whether it's coming from the business side (Jeanie?) worried about expenses, or from the basketball operations side (Jimbo, Mitch?) who redirect resources elsewhere instead (they could do with beefing up the analytics department).

Or is it from the Vitti level where Vitti simply doesn't make use of the more expensive cutting edge equipment, and thus doesn't requisition such or ask the higher ups for a it in the budget? (Leeches and grass-fed are enough for us!)

I just can't fathom how a rich franchise like the Lakers can't find the money to do all this and more.

Seems like a shocking contrast between this and the state-of-the-art individualized computer monitoring systems (mentioned in the infamous valley of the suns article) that Phoenix uses to train their athletes and prevent injuries.
those are the key questions, you figure the one in charge of the business side would be in charge of approving expenditure. It could be a case where our old school guys like Vitti just are not keeping up with the new technology. ie why would we need all these new gadgets, give me a typewriter and a VHS and we're all good.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
22 wrote:
Thanks for the tidbit.

If true, let's hope this changes with the new practice facility they're building

That's what I'm thinking too. Talk to that guy after the new practice facility is built, that could be a step into the direction of paying more.

It also depends on what equipment/technology that guy sells.

Maybe they make short shorts and thats why they think the budget is shrinking. Hard to imagine how the budget can be less with that $80M factored in.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
As I mentioned before, the Jimbo Era began when the Lakers made massive layoffs. That's the mark of new management, and it tells you the vision of new management. As such saving money on equipment is consistent with cash flow optimization and should not be a surprise.

Interesting theory, but considering they just got approval to build their new $80 million training facility yesterday, I'm not sure if I buy it.

I'm more inclined to believe that they skimp out training facility costs until the completion of the new facility. Training is such a nominal expense, but important to retaining our talent.

I'll be interested to see how the Lakers spend post facility completion.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I'm more inclined to believe that they skimp out training facility costs until the completion of the new facility. Training is such a nominal expense, but important to retaining our talent.

I'll be interested to see how the Lakers spend post facility completion.

if the Lakers are spending $80M and change on training related expenses, I find it hard to believe they are among the bottom teams in terms of how much they spend. I call BS!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
22 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
If you actually read the real reporting Mike Trudell does on the Lakers website, you'd know this. He wrote several pieces about how Vitti and DiFranesco are expected to fulfill roles that, in reality, should be filled by people more qualified (like Alex McKechnie). They try their best, but from how Trudell puts it, it's like asking a Podiatrist to do a Cardiologist's job.

DD post the link please kind sir

They're dense, don't have time to look for specific quotes at the moment:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/130614_trainerstake_vitti

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/140801trainerstake_garyvitti

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/130712grassfed_timdifrancesco

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/2012/09/28/being-an-nba-strength-coach/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1618056-la-lakers-injuries-its-fair-to-question-training-staffs-effectiveness

Thanks for sharing DD!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Skimp on Training Room Budget

cvballa wrote:
I am good friends with a CEO for growing and innovative training and recovery company (Yes the Lakers use their products, as well as every other team in the league). I was talking to him yesterday and he made an interesting statement at dinner last night.

He knows many trainers throughout the NBA, including Gary Vitti (one of his favorite trainers in the league). He told me that the Lakers training room budget is FAR lower than almost every team in the league (confirmed by Vitti).

This was shocking to me considering how rich the franchise is and how much they spend on player salaries. The players are the product and its amazing that they would skimp in this way.

Hopefully they change this protocol ASAP!

Well before piling on the scapegoat aka Jim Buss. We need to ask if this was also true during championship years? Was this true in the 80's, 90's, 2000's? If they've always historically have one of the lower budgets, then meh.. nothing to see here. Move along.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Skimp on Training Room Budget

Runway8 wrote:
cvballa wrote:
I am good friends with a CEO for growing and innovative training and recovery company (Yes the Lakers use their products, as well as every other team in the league). I was talking to him yesterday and he made an interesting statement at dinner last night.

He knows many trainers throughout the NBA, including Gary Vitti (one of his favorite trainers in the league). He told me that the Lakers training room budget is FAR lower than almost every team in the league (confirmed by Vitti).

This was shocking to me considering how rich the franchise is and how much they spend on player salaries. The players are the product and its amazing that they would skimp in this way.

Well before piling on the scapegoat aka Jim Buss. We need to ask if this was also true during championship years? Was this true in the 80's, 90's, 2000's? If they've always historically have one of the lower budgets, then meh.. nothing to see here. Move along.

But even if it was, couldn't we conceivably have been better then if we had better training/equipment?

I just hope the Lakers are trying their best. That's all I can ask for
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject:

I am quite disappointed by these news to be honest. And I'm not surprised at all because you don't hear players rave about our training facilities or cutting edge medical staff like they do other teams like Phoenix and even Dallas. Jim should call Mark Cuban or the Phoenix staff and have a sit down and just try to soak up some knowledge in that regard. There is no excuse as to why the lakers shouldn't be the leader in using cutting edge technology and advanced medical facilities to gain that competitive edge in the NBA. From what I've heard we are even behind in analytics and people wonder why we are such a poor team. Well it's time we get with the times and invest in these things because it's part of what take teams to the next level. Take the Hawks for example Coach Bud does not allow any of his players to play over 35mpg, none of his players this year has scored more than 30points in a game. Player management is very important in today's NBA it's not just about signing big name players anymore. I hope Mitch Jeanie and Jim are paying attention!

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Skimp on Training Room Budget

Runway8 wrote:
cvballa wrote:

That's why as much as we joke around about Vitti, he WAS the head trainer for most of the recent championships spanning decades. Can't have it both way with him.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

It can't even be THAT much money all things considered, no?

Not even close. Fitness equipment is all one time purchases that last for years if not decades. "If" true, that speaks to an unspeakable level of frugality.
cvballa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
22 wrote:
Thanks for the tidbit.

Facilities and equipment are one thing, staff and personnel are another.

They should be spending the money to hire guys like Mike Clark with innovative techniques and tons of experience. Thats more important than a new facility.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Like you said it should not be a surprise.

If the only problem with the Lakers was this and that it failed to improve the equipment, I do not think that this team will go down in the worse of this franchise history.

However, when you combine it with multiple other poor decisions, (ie. massive layoffs, poor hiring with the coaching, the firing of the trainer, and other faux pas) we have what is in front of us. A team that will go down as the worse in Laker history.

Last edited by laker4life on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Point being? I dont see how these 2 things are related. One is a building the other is the training personnel. The latter was essentially wiped away by Jimbo b/c of his insecurities over loyalties and/or frugality. Alex McKechnie is a highly touted trainer but the Jockey gets rid of him and many other just because they smiled at Phil? How insecure is this 60 yr old manchild? Its one thing to fire him but at least replace him with an competent trainer.

I'm sorry even the handful of LGers that defend Jimmys honor can't excuse themselves out of this one.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject:

cvballa wrote:
MJST wrote:
22 wrote:
Thanks for the tidbit.

Facilities and equipment are one thing, staff and personnel are another.

They should be spending the money to hire guys like Mike Clark with innovative techniques and tons of experience. Thats more important than a new facility.

That's the point I was trying to make exactly. Now that Gary Vitti is about to hang it up for good, hiring the right personnel to replace him should be one of top priorities this offseason. No excuses.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject:

I would be curious to see actual statistics and budgets of the training deficiencies before I judge too harshly. Or maybe a breakdown of team operating expenses. I would like to see some facts instead of "some guy told a guy who told me" stories.

Also how much of the Phoenix and Houston cutting edge technology is paid for by them or in part by local medical facilities or teaching colleges. Are the Lakers connected to any of the Medical Centers in L.A. Seems I have read/heard about the Lakers Physical Therapist (Seto?) being well respected. Are the Lakers truly skimping on training?

I am guessing part of the issue is the disparity of net worth by the owners. Buss family has always been among the bottom of the NBA owners. Just looked it up and Jim Buss has is worth $380M (fifth lowest). There are 20 billionaires.

It is easy for owners like Prokhorov, Arison, Cuban or Allan to have luxury player accommodations. Or for Ballmer to overspend for the Clippers for tax purposes. Expensive hobbies for these guys. Also tax issues. Lakers have ridiculous state taxes to pay for every facility and purchase.

It would be interesting to actually see how the Lakers spending and how they do it compares to the other teams in the League. They may not be as cutting edge as some but I doubt they have third world facilities or the Dr. are using leeches and bloodletting as their primary treatments.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I would be curious to see actual statistics and budgets of the training deficiencies before I judge too harshly. Or maybe a breakdown of team operating expenses. I would like to see some facts instead of "some guy told a guy who told me" stories.

Also how much of the Phoenix and Houston cutting edge technology is paid for by them or in part by local medical facilities or teaching colleges. Are the Lakers connected to any of the Medical Centers in L.A. Seems I have read/heard about the Lakers Physical Therapist (Seto?) being well respected. Are the Lakers truly skimping on training?

I am guessing part of the issue is the disparity of net worth by the owners. Buss family has always been among the bottom of the NBA owners. Just looked it up and Jim Buss has is worth $380M (fifth lowest). There are 20 billionaires.

It is easy for owners like Prokhorov, Arison, Cuban or Allan to have luxury player accommodations. Or for Ballmer to overspend for the Clippers for tax purposes. Expensive hobbies for these guys. Also tax issues. Lakers have ridiculous state taxes to pay for every facility and purchase.

It would be interesting to actually see how the Lakers spending and how they do it compares to the other teams in the League. They may not be as cutting edge as some but I doubt they have third world facilities or the Dr. are using leeches and bloodletting as their primary treatments.

Well it's a double edged sword. Don't invest enough and you start losing money. The Buss family can't afford to be so frugal that the Lakers become a laughing stock.

And I don't think people are questioning the current training staff's abilities beyond certain jokes and memes (which I gleefully take part in). It's just that they seem to be understaffed and/or used incorrectly by our FO.

At his age Vitti should have an assistant or two. There should be guys dedicated to conditioning like McKechnie. Ya know, the little things.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

Well it's a double edged sword. Don't invest enough and you start losing money. The Buss family can't afford to be so frugal that the Lakers become a laughing stock.

And I don't think people are questioning the current training staff's abilities beyond certain jokes and memes (which I gleefully take part in). It's just that they seem to be understaffed and/or used incorrectly by our FO.

At his age Vitti should have an assistant or two. There should be guys dedicated to conditioning like McKechnie. Ya know, the little things.

My point is do we know facts or just telling a good story?

Do we know that Vitti does not have assistants? I would be more then a bit surprised if that were true. Are the Lakers trainers understaffed or skimping on training or just not being as cutting edge as a couple of other teams? How do the Lakers compare in training spending and practices to other teams in the NBA?
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

Do we know that Vitti does not have assistants? I would be more then a bit surprised if that were true. Are the Lakers trainers understaffed or skimping on training or just not being as cutting edge as a couple of other teams? How do the Lakers compare in training spending and practices to other teams in the NBA?

He doesn't. They talk about it in one of the articles I linked earlier.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

He doesn't. They talk about it in one of the articles I linked earlier.

Thanks. Interesting read. For those interested it was the one with "trainers effectiveness" in the link.

It does state that Vitti does not have any full-time assistants. But also gave the impression that the entire team is pretty well respected and well staffed with team doctors, trainers and support staff. Also mentioned the connection to the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic.

Also did not get he impression that the Lakers were cutting costs at the expense of the players.

Would certainly be interested in seeing any comparisons to other teams on training, medical and operational costs. If someone has a link it would be appreciated. I attempted but my limited research skills did not help answer the question.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: