****OFFICIAL FRONT OFFICE DISCUSSION & CRITIQUE THREAD****
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:

there's a lot worse than Jim Buss out there...

The Nash trade was a disaster from the start, no argument there, not putting in better protection for the draft pick was pure arrogance.

However... Jim and Mitch flipped freaking Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard in his prime... come on... seriously...

and... flipping Gasol and Odom for Chris Paul, again... no credit?

They've made some big time moves, they didn't work out. This has been the recovery period, we just bottomed. If by some bizarre chance we lose the draft pick, that will be the bottom, but most likely we keep it and either get a very interesting player or we trade it for some interesting players. No more of this Steve Nash stuff... Randle comes back next year, Clarkson is an up and comer, the darkest days are over.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Assuming we draft a top 5 pick this year, there would be no point in trying to tank another year.

I think this team will sign a couple veterans to 3-5 year deals (Wesley Matthews, Jeff Green, Greg Monroe).

Then with Kobe's contract out of the way in 2016 sign a big name (Durant/Davis).

Davis is a restricted free agent. There's no chance we have a shot at him.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:

Davis is a restricted free agent. There's no chance we have a shot at him.

So is Draymond Green.

To quote some knobhead, "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLEEEEEEE!"
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
there's a lot worse than Jim Buss out there...

That's not exactly inspiring, but Jim Dolan is worse. But then my fear is that the front office will try to put lipstick on a pig by overpaying mediocre free agents during the offseason, making us the Los Angeles Knicks.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Assuming we draft a top 5 pick this year, there would be no point in trying to tank another year.

I think this team will sign a couple veterans to 3-5 year deals (Wesley Matthews, Jeff Green, Greg Monroe).

Then with Kobe's contract out of the way in 2016 sign a big name (Durant/Davis).

We would have to go balls-to-the-wall next year. Only top 3 protected. Might as well (bleep) over whomever owns it and try to give them the worst pick possible.

I highly doubt Lakers will be lottery next season this team will have ton of improvement with draft and hopefully FA.. The tanking days will be over with.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

We would have to go balls-to-the-wall next year. Only top 3 protected. Might as well (bleep) over whomever owns it and try to give them the worst pick possible.

I highly doubt Lakers will be lottery next season this team will have ton of improvement with draft and hopefully FA.. The tanking days will be over with.

I appreciate your optimism but as we go forward with the off season it will be fascinating to see how and what happens.

I have read how this off-season is a "make it or break it" for the Lakers.

We have read and heard that it is now several bad years in a row, bad coaching hires, the pressure from the fans, etc.

I came across another article with the same theme. The difference was that it applied to the Orlando Magic.

See the link.

Orlando Magic facing a make-or-break offseason

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2015/4/16/8397141/orlando-magic-rebuild-2015-nba-free-agents-tobias-harris-coach

What is interesting if you read this article it raises some of the issues confronting our franchise.

They are three years into their plan after getting rid of Dwight.

I recognize optimism is great but you need balance it with some realism.

Only time will tell what will happen.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak Says Team Can ‘Get Better Quick’

Quote:
General manager Mitch Kupchak wrapped up the team’s exit interviews talking about the team’s prospects for righting the ship during the off-season.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-mitch-kupchak-says-team-can-get-better-quick/2015/04/18/
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

Just watched Kupchak's exit interview. Some thoughts came to mind.

Obviously Mitch wants to trade this top 5 pick. Like he's stated many times before, he thinks 1-and-done players out of the draft don't contribute right away. But he did give a shot out to a very good senior prospect (Kaminsky).

He also cares about Bird Rights, as he should. Mitch spoke about how that would apply during the salary cap increase in 2016.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Even with the worst record the top 3 pick isn't guaranteed. So tanking make no sense.

However I think there's a strong possibility that the Lakers are in the lottery next year though we should be more improved.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Obviously Mitch wants to trade this top 5 pick. Like he's stated many times before, he thinks 1-and-done players out of the draft don't contribute right away. But he did give a shot out to a very good senior prospect (Kaminsky).

He also cares about Bird Rights, as he should. Mitch spoke about how that would apply during the salary cap increase in 2016.

Just because Mitch thinks one and dones take awhile develop doesn't mean he's gonna trade them. Otherwise he would've traded Julius already.

We're not gonna trade it unless we can get a proven superstar who isn't gonna be a free agent in the near future.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Just because Mitch thinks one and dones take awhile develop doesn't mean he's gonna trade them. Otherwise he would've traded Julius already.

We're not gonna trade it unless we can get a proven superstar who isn't gonna be a free agent in the near future.

He wants to trade it. But he won't unless its for good value.

Before Randle we hadn't had a top 10 pick since....Bynum, 9 years before.
Mitch don't give two poops about picks if he can land veteran talent. Just how he rolls.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Before Randle we hadn't had a top 10 pick since....Bynum 9 years before.
Mitch don't give two poops about picks if he can land veteran talent. Just how he rolls.

You're basing this on what? Mitch has never one said he's absolutely gonna trade the pick.

Also again what veteran talent is he available?

We already traded a bunch of picks for a veteran talent a few years ago and got burned. There's no way they are making that mistake again.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Before Randle we hadn't had a top 10 pick since....Bynum 9 years before.

You're basing this on what? Mitch has never one said he's absolutely gonna trade the pick.

Also again what veteran talent is he available?

We already traded a bunch of picks for a veteran talent a few years ago and got burned. There's no way they are making that mistake again.

I think those trades would have been fine if the Lakers did not hire MDA and hired Phil instead.

Some trades do work and others do not. Mitch will do what is necessary to hopefully bring in a competitive team. I trust Mitch.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject:

The Best Trade Chip Contracts

Quote:
Large expiring contracts were valuable assets just a few years ago.

It was Kwame Brown’s $9 million expiring contract that enabled the Los Angeles Lakers to acquire Pau Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies in 2008, along with the draft rights to 48th pick Marc Gasol.

Teams have since gotten more sophisticated, taking advantage of non/partially-guaranteed contracts, trade exceptions and cap room to facilitate trades.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/the-trade-chip-contracts/
NomisR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
The Best Trade Chip Contracts

Quote:
Large expiring contracts were valuable assets just a few years ago.

It was Kwame Brown’s $9 million expiring contract that enabled the Los Angeles Lakers to acquire Pau Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies in 2008, along with the draft rights to 48th pick Marc Gasol.

Teams have since gotten more sophisticated, taking advantage of non/partially-guaranteed contracts, trade exceptions and cap room to facilitate trades.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/the-trade-chip-contracts/

Looks like the Lakers have been on top of their game this whole time.. but yeah.. they're incompetent...
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: How much longer does Jimbo have before the fans turn on him big time?

I'm thinking this next season is his last year, meaning if they started turning the corner after this next season, it might be soon enough.

But two more years in the cellar and all the innuendos that our front office may be what is keeping the marquee players from coming here and I have to believe that Jeanie would have to step in and make the smart business decision.

I was all for giving the guy some time to work through the kinks. But we won't do great next year and that will be 3 years in a row that we have been dismal. A fourth season of the same and the man would be run out of town and I will be leading the charge.

Something has to give!!
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Will depend on the draft
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject:

Lakers have to at least make the playoffs soon. We probably won't this upcoming season, but it'll have to be soon after that. We've missed the playoffs twice in a row for the first time in LA Laker history, and it's likely we will miss it thrice, right after Dr. Buss passed and the Buss kids inherited. Not a good look. But if we have promising young talent and sign some free agents and make the playoffs either this upcoming season or the next, then that can be spun as a Laker turn around to buy him more time even if we don't go deep. If we continue to miss the playoffs year after year, then I have no doubt Jim will be the sacrifice the Buss kids offer up to hopefully buy more time and avoid a possible McCourt level demand from the fans to sell the team.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject:

People don't even talk about Jim outside the internet and media outlets.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject:

Turn on him? I wasn't aware most Lakers fans were with him. lol
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject:

It will turn ugly if we lose our early first round draft pick. Is that soon enough?
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Turn on him? I wasn't aware most Lakers fans were with him. lol

Lol this
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
It will turn ugly if we lose our early first round draft pick. Is that soon enough?

So base it on a game of luck? That is pretty short sighted.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Lakers have to at least make the playoffs soon. We probably won't this upcoming season, but it'll have to be soon after that. We've missed the playoffs twice in a row for the first time in LA Laker history, and it's likely we will miss it thrice, right after Dr. Buss passed and the Buss kids inherited. Not a good look. But if we have promising young talent and sign some free agents and make the playoffs either this upcoming season or the next, then that can be spun as a Laker turn around to buy him more time even if we don't go deep. If we continue to miss the playoffs year after year, then I have no doubt Jim will be the sacrifice the Buss kids offer up to hopefully buy more time and avoid a possible McCourt level demand from the fans to sell the team.

Sounds right to me.

The key is if we continue to miss the playoffs then Jimbo will likely have to resign from his position as he promise.
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Sounds right to me.

The key is if we continue to miss the playoffs then Jimbo will likely have to resign from his position as he promise.

You guys don't think the Lakers missing the playoffs the last 2 years have anything to do with Kobe having season ending injuries the last 2 years? I'm not saying the Jim Buss is not at fault but I would think that missing the star player has more to do with it than anything else.

Initially I thought the Lakers could make a push towards the playoffs in the next few years but man, watching the games, its ridiculous to see teams with Lebron, Curry and M.Gasol be beating each other up. No one's being dominant and I wonder how ground zero teams like the Lakers can even come close to diving into the pool so soon.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 33 of 59
Jump to: