Which position is the Lakers biggest need?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which position is the Lakers biggest need?
PG - Is Jordan Clarkson ready to be the floor general?
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
SG - Kobe Bryant--yes! But who is his heir apparant?
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
SF - Wes Johnson = Mr. Inconsistency? Who then?
83%
 83%  [ 30 ]
PF - Can Julius Randle heal up and man the power spot?
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 36

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
SG is a tough one for me. I am finding it difficult to find a reason to expect Kobe to play even half the year. 50 games is optimistic. I hope I am wrong and he can finish the farewell tour on a positive.

Young is a knucklehead. If they can get any value for him I would not be opposed to trading him. But in reality the reason they signed him still exists. Instant offense off the bench. In that role he could succeed. He actually played well for a while. Then the immaturity started kicking in as the injuries around him addded up.

Also think Brown and Ellington played ok when they had the opportunity. Decent role players if that is how the season plays out. Another possibility is drafting a backup SG to develop. Many seem to like Levert with the Hous pick.

I guess my point is the Lakers currently have some options at SG. Maybe not the most desirable but options. At some of the other positions (C, SF) the Lakers are barren of quality talent and need help this year. It is going to take time to become competitive. IMO those two positions are bigger needs then SG.

I like the idea of drafting an SG to develop. Or, acquiring one via trade a la Ariza who wasn't getting much PT, but blossomed in to a regular rotation player. Lance Stephenson comes to mind here. A potential buy-low candidate.

Based on the assumption we will carry Davis/Black/Hill in to next season, I think SG is slightly higher on the priority list. Mainly, because we have bodies at C. We don't have the bodies at SG. Kobe shouldn't be playing more than 25-29 MPG at absolute max, may not finish the season, and we just don't have any SGs with great upside at the moment. Nick Young is a 3, and I do like Brown but, we have to have another option there right now.

If you could trade Jordan Hill for Lance Stephenson, would you do it? I think I might, actually.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject:

point guard play is the name of the game nowadays. i just don't trust Clarkson to be that guy going forward. a defensive center is nice, but those usually becomes a much urgent need if your team is close to contend for a title, the Lakers are not. we need a perimeter star to replace Kobe, whether a PG or a SG/SF who can handle the ball and pass.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
SG is a tough one for me. I am finding it difficult to find a reason to expect Kobe to play even half the year. 50 games is optimistic. I hope I am wrong and he can finish the farewell tour on a positive.

Young is a knucklehead. If they can get any value for him I would not be opposed to trading him. But in reality the reason they signed him still exists. Instant offense off the bench. In that role he could succeed. He actually played well for a while. Then the immaturity started kicking in as the injuries around him addded up.

Also think Brown and Ellington played ok when they had the opportunity. Decent role players if that is how the season plays out. Another possibility is drafting a backup SG to develop. Many seem to like Levert with the Hous pick.

I guess my point is the Lakers currently have some options at SG. Maybe not the most desirable but options. At some of the other positions (C, SF) the Lakers are barren of quality talent and need help this year. It is going to take time to become competitive. IMO those two positions are bigger needs then SG.

I like the idea of drafting an SG to develop. Or, acquiring one via trade a la Ariza who wasn't getting much PT, but blossomed in to a regular rotation player. Lance Stephenson comes to mind here. A potential buy-low candidate.

Based on the assumption we will carry Davis/Black/Hill in to next season, I think SG is slightly higher on the priority list. Mainly, because we have bodies at C. We don't have the bodies at SG. Kobe shouldn't be playing more than 25-29 MPG at absolute max, may not finish the season, and we just don't have any SGs with great upside at the moment. Nick Young is a 3, and I do like Brown but, we have to have another option there right now.

If you could trade Jordan Hill for Lance Stephenson, would you do it? I think I might, actually.

if we missed out on everyone, I would give a TPE for Lance, nothing more/less. Basically would be a punt move and if he balled out again, we'd have a $9m team option in 2016 (which with the increased cap would be like 6m contract today).
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject:

Center. Lakers need a rim protector and low post threat.

Followed by pg. We need a solid veteran pg who can handle the pressure of playing with playoff positioning at stake. Clarkson can back him up and learn.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Center. Lakers need a rim protector and low post threat.

Followed by pg. We need a solid veteran pg who can handle the pressure of playing with playoff positioning at stake. Clarkson can back him up and learn.

head of the snake? again?

just kidding...
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely has to be a CENTER. Rim protector and rebounder, and actual low-post skill would be nice. If we crack Top 2, then either Okafor or Towns is fine by me. Cauley-Stein worth a reach at 4 or 5 (whew!) if he impresses in workouts and pre-draft interviews with us.

After that, go SF and make Winslow the target. We haven't had a competent SF there since 2010 and 2011 when we had both MWP and Barnes. I'd really like us to have a SF who can dribble and chew gum at the same time, with actual abilities and skills on both ends of the floor.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
1. Go to star (regardless of position)
2. Rim defender at 5
3. 3 and D wing
4. Third guard

Yes. A lot of holes we need to patch. It is easier to fill 2, 3, and 4 than find #1 obviously.

I think Asik's stock is going to crash after this warrior series. Monty had to take him out because he was being exposed with his lack of lateral quickness. If don't draft a C, maybe we can pick him up on discount (I would like to see us offer the max to DJ, but I am not holding my breath).

Draft Winslow for our 3 and D guy, or Russell for our third guard. Hopefully, one of our rooks becomes that first option.

Clarkson
Kobe
Winslow
Randle
Asik / Davis / Black

Save the cap space for next season once Kobe comes off the books. Use Davis / Black / Asik as assets moving forward. And yes, this team won't make the playoffs. I don't see many scenarios in which we go from bottom feeder to playoff contender in the west in one offseason. If we were in the east, then yes.

Just my lunch break thoughts.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject:

All star you can build offense around.
Defensive anchor a close second.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
All star you can build offense around.
Defensive anchor a close second.

We agree exactly on this.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: