Eddie, Nick, Shaq, Kobe, Horry? How many rings if they didn't break up ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I think people are forgetting Shaq was not fond of Eddie. Shaq was one of the voices calling for him to get traded, and he got him traded again in Miami.

It was an entertaining team but they were just lacking something for me. They seemed almost child-like, like the Sacramento Kings of the 2000's. They didn't have that professional, hard hat and briefcase mentality. I never felt any connection with that team, even though I liked the individual parts.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
0. Eddie was soft and Van Exel was uncoachable. I can't say I didn't enthusiastically enjoy watching those players however. They were worth the ticket.

never understood the hype behind eddie jones. guy was soft, and was not clutch in the playoffs. yet everyone loved him. one of the most popular lakers of all time.

weak.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
0. Eddie was soft and Van Exel was uncoachable. I can't say I didn't enthusiastically enjoy watching those players however. They were worth the ticket.

never understood the hype behind eddie jones. guy was soft, and was not clutch in the playoffs. yet everyone loved him. one of the most popular lakers of all time.

weak.

The game slowed down in the playoffs against certain teams (Seattle was also an uptempo team). In the regular season I thought he was fantastic.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

weak.

He was one of our own. We drafted him and watched him blossom into an all-star. On top of that he was a likeable guy and had an easy name to cheer for. You can kind of already see the same thing happening with Randle and he hasn't played a single game yet. It's easy to see why he was a fan favorite.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:

to each their own.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Van Exel, like Nick Young, is like a cheesy popcorn flick... good to watch if you seek mindless entertainment, but not exactly what you're looking for if you crave something more profound (a championship). As far as Jones, he was neither here nor there. Good player, but the big Diesel wanted him gone so that's that. None of those guys were essential pieces to a championship. 2001 was the pitch perfect roster roster imo. You had 2 bonafide alpha dogs and a perfect collection of role players. The only reason that team didn't win 67+ games was because Kobe and Shaq didn't get along for the early part of the year. Once they reached some sort of common ground, it was bye-bye NBA.
Aristo
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject:

What would have really worked out is if they had waited a couple months to trade Eddie and Elden for Chris Webber, who was on his way out of Washington.
Aristo
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Aristo wrote:
What would have really worked out is if they had waited a couple months to trade Eddie and Elden for Chris Webber, who was on his way out of Washington.

I got the years mixed up. Webber might have been available for Eddie if the Lakers had been knocked out of the playoffs earlier.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

weak.

In some ways I'd compare him to Odom. He was a very good player, but he wasn't a great #2 option. Make him #3 though and he would be great.

Gasol was a guy who wasn't a good #1 option, but was great as a #2.

I'm not sure the criticism of him not bring clutch is fair. Shaq wasn't known for being clutch back then either. Even now I don't think of him as a clutch player.

Jones made the 98 Lakers better.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I think people are forgetting Shaq was not fond of Eddie. Shaq was one of the voices calling for him to get traded, and he got him traded again in Miami.

It was an entertaining team but they were just lacking something for me. They seemed almost child-like, like the Sacramento Kings of the 2000's. They didn't have that professional, hard hat and briefcase mentality. I never felt any connection with that team, even though I liked the individual parts.

Shaq wasn't fond of Kobe either.

Didn't the team have a chance to trade Jones for Mitch Richmond in 98? I thought West passed that up.

One thing the 98 team lacked was defense. That's one reason Utah picked them apart, and it's why they looked worse when the game slowed down. They would have been able to control tempo better, get more stops in the clutch and look better in a slower game if they were a much better defensive team. The 98 team relied too much on its offense and really needed to speed up the tempo to look good.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

weak.

He was one of our own. We drafted him and watched him blossom into an all-star. On top of that he was a likeable guy and had an easy name to cheer for. You can kind of already see the same thing happening with Randle and he hasn't played a single game yet. It's easy to see why he was a fan favorite.

All Defensive Second Team and dunked on Shawn Bradley twice in the same game?

Dude wasn't even on the radar for most scouts in the NBA. Jerry West steal at #10.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: