For RPG players: check out Bound By Flame

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: For RPG players: check out Bound By Flame

Picked it up yesterday 80% off on Steam. Very good RPG. The voice overs are corny but no worse than The Witcher series.

I'm only 2 hours in, but it's very reminiscent of Dragon Age Inquisition, Kingdoms of Amalur, The Witcher 1 (with better combat), and a smattering of other older Bioware games like KotOR.

It probably won't win any awards but it's fun.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Trailer looks pretty cool

But what's wrong with the Witcher voice actors? You don't like euros?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Sweet, I'll have to check it out. Should tide me over until Witcher 3!
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Witcher 2 was fine but the first one was low budget. The main character voices were acceptable but some of the lesser NPCs were funny to listen to.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Witcher 2 was fine but the first one was low budget. The main character voices were acceptable but some of the lesser NPCs were funny to listen to.

Yeah it sounded like the developers did double duty as voice "actors". The first one was terrible.

I'm dating myself but here's hands down the worse voice acting in a video game.

http://audioatrocities.com/games/lastalert/index.html
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject:

For old school style RPG like Baldur's Gate, there's a new game called Pillars of Eternity by Obsedian. Check it out if you like that genre.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
For old school style RPG like Baldur's Gate, there's a new game called Pillars of Eternity by Obsedian. Check it out if you like that genre.

It's a bit out of my price range at the moment but it looks like good summer sale material. I'm still working my way backwards in RPG time...did Neverwinter Nights 2 and started playthroughs in NWN 1, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, and Planescape Torment.

I really don't like isometric cameras for rpgs, but I recognize that it usually means the game has better story/choices/dialogue etc. From the reviews on Steam it looks like this is true of Pillars.

Can't go wrong with Obsidian either. I don't think I've ever NOT liked a game they've made.

(On that note, if anybody loves Mass Effect style RPGs definitely check out Alpha Protocol. Dunno why it got so much flack because it truly was one of the few games to live up to its hype. Go pistols and melee for combat though...)
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Yeah it sounded like the developers did double duty as voice "actors". The first one was terrible.

http://audioatrocities.com/games/lastalert/index.html

Lol, the way they speak has a comedic intonation even though it's supposed to be serious. It reminds me of the voice over for stuff like Yugioh Abridged.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Fallout wrote:

It's a bit out of my price range at the moment but it looks like good summer sale material. I'm still working my way backwards in RPG time...did Neverwinter Nights 2 and started playthroughs in NWN 1, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, and Planescape Torment.

I really don't like isometric cameras for rpgs, but I recognize that it usually means the game has better story/choices/dialogue etc. From the reviews on Steam it looks like this is true of Pillars.

I tried it for a few hours and sittings but didn't like it. Those old school games are such classics because of their storytelling and dialogue. But I found Pillars lacking in that regard. Characters felt very unoriginal and the story was very generic (admittedly I only got like 5-10 hours in).

Don Draper wrote:
(On that note, if anybody loves Mass Effect style RPGs definitely check out Alpha Protocol. Dunno why it got so much flack because it truly was one of the few games to live up to its hype. Go pistols and melee for combat though...)

Alpha Protocol is amazing, but short. It's one of those few games where the makers set out to have "your decisions influence the course of the game" and where that actually happens. Unlike for instance mass effect.

jonnybravo wrote:

lol. Honestly it's not all that terrible. Has a very retro feel.

check out this baby

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Fallout wrote:

Can't go wrong with Obsidian either. I don't think I've ever NOT liked a game they've made.

Alpha Protocol came out with bugs and underdeveloped mechanics galore. Which is a shame since it was so promising.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject:

CDKeys.com are selling software at a good price, I got Pillars for 20 bucks, you unlock via Steam. They literally just sell license keys.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Fallout wrote:

Alpha Protocol came out with bugs and underdeveloped mechanics galore. Which is a shame since it was so promising.

Yeah, I had it for the 360 and it wasn't the most polished experience. But most of its issues were in its combat, which I couldn't care less about in my RPGs usually. I just turn the difficulty down if it's buggy and pick an OP spec that gets me through the interactive story, which was the best part of the game of course. I recently got AP for PC for $2, haven't started yet though.

Back to Bound By Flame...the dialogue in this game is hilarious, in a good way.

Without spoilers, at one point you are asked to do a fetch quest at a crucial main story moment, and one of the dialogue options is literally "you think I (bleep) have time to do your little (bleep) jobs when I have this huge (bleep) army of bad guys on my ass?!"

Choked on my coffee.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject:

I want to download this but I don't have a lot of space left on my computer.

Which is ridiculous. I haven't had that problem for probably 5+ years.

HD graphics are taking up so much room...
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Yeah...1 TB used to be a lot but not with these games. I have a huge backlog and am forced to uninstall games I haven't touched recently to make space.

Though BBF was only 4 something GB which surprised me.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Yeah...1 TB used to be a lot but not with these games. I have a huge backlog and am forced to uninstall games I haven't touched recently to make space.

Though BBF was only 4 something GB which surprised me.

I was at a Google talk a few weeks ago where they discussed among other things their storage capabilities. They have this system with a bunch of connected servers which are then handled by some software that makes it all appear to be one huge computer, with exabytes of space.

That's a million freaking terabytes! It's hard to even imagine...
Give me one of those babies. I'd be set for life (or maybe like 20 years)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: