NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
oliverginob wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
At&t Uverse.

Uverse was great, more consistent speeds and much better upload speed.

had to move from that area unfortunately. :(

Have them as well. Their equipment is pretty damn great. When I had Time Warner, my router was a POS and I constantly had outages. Had U-verse and the damn thing just works. The TV service aint all that great. But the internet makes up for it.

Their wireless router (2wire) was/is awful, had to immediately hook it up to a asus router.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject:

goldenarmor wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
I wonder if the FCC allows this....

EDIT: Actually I am close to certain that they won't.

What would make you think this?

With the merger they essentially get one-third of all US cable subscribers....I just don't see anti-trust regulators allowing that.

With that much control of the market, they can just bully content providers into any deal that favors them, and puts the competition at a disadvantage.

And the biggest loser there will be the consumers.

The backlash and outcry from consumer advocates has already started. No one likes this, and Comcast is already in Baghdad Bob PR mode spinning some BS about the deal being "pro-consumer".

I think there is concern because they are merging the #1 and #2 biggest cable companies in the US. Not to mention the merged company will be delivering about 35% of internet access in the US. Plus they are also a content provider. So they can bully their competition into raising rates for rights fees, slow down internet speeds against their competitors since Net Neutrality is dead.

Sounds like the AT&T, T-Mobile merger that they didn't allow.

Not quite imo.

I hope they DO block it, but I can also see them not doing it. Cable companies don't compete with one another in any given area. They compete with other teloco's in the same area.

Kray and many of you already mentioned, their sheer market presence could seriously screw over the consumer.

Do it FCC.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
goldenarmor wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

With the merger they essentially get one-third of all US cable subscribers....I just don't see anti-trust regulators allowing that.

With that much control of the market, they can just bully content providers into any deal that favors them, and puts the competition at a disadvantage.

The backlash and outcry from consumer advocates has already started. No one likes this, and Comcast is already in Baghdad Bob PR mode spinning some BS about the deal being "pro-consumer".

I think there is concern because they are merging the #1 and #2 biggest cable companies in the US. Not to mention the merged company will be delivering about 35% of internet access in the US. Plus they are also a content provider. So they can bully their competition into raising rates for rights fees, slow down internet speeds against their competitors since Net Neutrality is dead.

Not quite imo.

I hope they DO block it, but I can also see them not doing it. Cable companies don't compete with one another in any given area. They compete with other teloco's in the same area.

Kray and many of you already mentioned, their sheer market presence could seriously screw over the consumer.

Do it FCC.

If this merger does get approved, the only competition in many of these areas will come from AT&T or Verizon.......and the majority of these areas don't even have the latest Uverse offerings or FIOS. So its either slow DSL or bandwidth capped cable....
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Lakers95 wrote:
Comcast is the worst company in America. Hopefully this doesn't affect sportsnet.

I've been thinking about cancelling my cable altogether.

I find it's more enjoyable to spend time on my computer/tablet/PS3.

Only thing that had me excited was all-Lakers channel... but we know how the past two seasons have turned out.

Yup. There's nothing really compelling on TV these days either. The cost of cable really sucks too.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
goldenarmor wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

Not quite imo.

Do it FCC.

If this merger does get approved, the only competition in many of these areas will come from AT&T or Verizon.......and the majority of these areas don't even have the latest Uverse offerings or FIOS. So its either slow DSL or bandwidth capped cable....

Right. It's still the same with or without the merger. It's still cable or DSL, fios or whatever. Now the fact that using market share to bully content providers, etc is true but that's an entirely different conversation and would most likely be the grounds the FCC uses to strike this down.

As far as the selection of providers, no this doesn't change. You get the ONE cable provider in your area. It's been this way for decades...This monopoly was allowed YEARS ago and continues to exist. We can blame the FCC for policies that went back as far as the 50's (I'm sure one of our older curmudgeons can go into further detail on why this was allowed to occur).

Not sure how else to frame this . Hell before FIOS, UVerse, Directv...there was over the air TV, the ONE cable company or a massive sattelite dish. Those were your choices. Cable companies don't and have never competed with one another in the same location.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Finally! Somebody is excited for having Time Warner Cable...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
goldenarmor wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

Not quite imo.

Do it FCC.

Right. It's still the same with or without the merger. It's still cable or DSL, fios or whatever. Now the fact that using market share to bully content providers, etc is true but that's an entirely different conversation and would most likely be the grounds the FCC uses to strike this down.

As far as the selection of providers, no this doesn't change. You get the ONE cable provider in your area. It's been this way for decades...This monopoly was allowed YEARS ago and continues to exist. We can blame the FCC for policies that went back as far as the 50's (I'm sure one of our older curmudgeons can go into further detail on why this was allowed to occur).

Not sure how else to frame this . Hell before FIOS, UVerse, Directv...there was over the air TV, the ONE cable company or a massive sattelite dish. Those were your choices. Cable companies don't and have never competed with one another in the same location.

Yep, if it was market based competition, everyone would have the best product available to them, which is a fiber connection directly to their house....so that leaves Google Fiber or Verizon FIOS....sadly, people don't have that choice because of the monopolies so they have to buy whatever is available to them in their area which usually is cable or DSL.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-23/comcast-said-planning-to-withdraw-offer-for-time-warner-cable

Quote:
Comcast Corp. is planning to walk away from its proposed $45 billion takeover of Time Warner Cable Inc., people with knowledge of the matter said, after regulators planned to oppose the deal.

Comcast is planning to make a final decision on its plans Thursday, and an announcement on the deal’s fate may come as soon as Friday, said one of the people, who asked not to be named discussing private information.

Looks like the deal may be off. Which is good for me since I only hear bad stuff about Comcast.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: