Clarkson ranking among 25 and under point guards?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwarf Nebula
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject:

driver wrote:
Since Clarkson is an actual rookie we drafted, I'd say it's fine to overrate him. He's shown that he can compete. Next season, we'll have even more rookies and an even younger team. This is one of the best times we'll have to rave our about players. After all, we rarely get this chance and it's been a long time coming.

The tide is turning. People laughed when I said we had a great offseason. We managed to get two of the best players in the draft plus got Lin AND a #1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Exum gotta be dead last

Exum is still very much a kid.

I think he's still got potential. He'll have to grow into it though.

I agree. Word is he's a great defender and responsible for much of Utah's improvement in 2nd half of season.

Gobert the stifle tower is responsible for most of Utah's improvement defensively in the 2nd half of the season. Since he became a starter, opponents scoring in the paint against utah have been at league lows.
Dwarf Nebula
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Exum gotta be dead last

I agree. Word is he's a great defender and responsible for much of Utah's improvement in 2nd half of season.

Gobert the stifle tower is responsible for most of Utah's improvement defensively in the 2nd half of the season. Since he became a starter, opponents scoring in the paint against utah have been at league lows.

I don't remember where I read it ... but I read an article recently that said Exum had a large impact on the turnaround by locking down on the wing. It used metrics to prove the point and showed an impressive correlation. I don't know why people are slamming the kid. From what I read, most scouts believe he'll eventually become a good shooter. So he's a tall lanky pg who is already a good defender ... with a shot that is a work in progress. The kid was in High School last year IIRC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Exum gotta be dead last

Gobert > Hassan Whiteside. True or false?
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Exum gotta be dead last

Gobert > Hassan Whiteside. True or false?

True and he's not a headcase.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject:

kinda OT

but the Jazz sucked so bad at the PG position this year. Trey Burke coming undone and Exum playing like he did? Not good for their PG future.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject:

Do you think the Lakers will look at Clarkson to be the PG of the future, or more as a replacement SG for Kobe?
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Do you think the Lakers will look at Clarkson to be the PG of the future, or more as a replacement SG for Kobe?

His development has been at pg. He's working with Nash to get better. All signs point to Clarkson being the pg of the future.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:
kinda OT

but the Jazz sucked so bad at the PG position this year. Trey Burke coming undone and Exum playing like he did? Not good for their PG future.

doesn't matter because they lucked out with Gobert ...
Gobert/Favours/Wood/Hayward/Exum/ + Burks/Burke/Top 10 pick/Free Agent

my goodness ...
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

His development has been at pg. He's working with Nash to get better. All signs point to Clarkson being the pg of the future.

He's working with Kobe this summer.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject:

It's the jazz own fault for drafting a player solely so that the Lakers would not be able to
Throwback96
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

I definitely think Jordan has a bright future in the league but I also think if the Lakers are forced to pick Mudiay or Russell I see them at least testing the waters on flipping Clarkson for WCS. Not saying WCS is better than Jordan but he fits a desperate need of a rim protector and having Mudiay or Russell sorta makes Jordan redundant/expendable. Plus I see a potential problem come time to resign Clarkson because of his second round status. With the other two you know they're locked into the rookie salary for at least 4 yrs. I think Jordan is eligible for a significant increase in 2yrs.

I see them viewing a foundation of Randle. Mudiay/Russell and WCS as being very attractive to a potential veteran franchise type player or at least a foundation that can develope its own place in the league. Basically a younger version of CP3, Blake and DJ.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

He's working with Kobe this summer.

He's also working with Nash. In reality Clarkson is a combo guard that will try to get stronger in traits of both positions. I do think that he sees himself as the lakers pg of the future and that is the position he wants to play at but if we draft a pg or sign a max type of pg. He can slide over to the 2.

Last edited by Rivershow on Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:46 am; edited 2 times in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:

I think we end up with two combo guards, Clarkson and whoever. Two guys who can switch off on defense and who can both facilitate. Add in Randle facilitating, and you can attack from at least 3 places on the floor.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

I think we end up with two combo guards, Clarkson and whoever. Two guys who can switch off on defense and who can both facilitate. Add in Randle facilitating, and you can attack from at least 3 places on the floor.

D'ANGELO RUSSELL

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Hmmm. Clarkson - Westbrook backcourt. I could go for that.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I think the Lakers FO sees him as a PG 1st, but can move over to SG in a pinch.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

In his exit interview he said that management wants him to add weight. I think that says a lot considering that he's plenty big for the pg position. I dont see an issue with that as long as he's able to bulk while maintaining his speed (which is his biggest asset at either position).
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

We should find out in the draft. If we go for Russell, then we are looking at Clarkson's future as PG. If we go SF or Center, then PG is where he will be most of the time.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:

If I recall correctly, Clarkson didn't start playing well until they put him at pg. He had his struggles at sg, where he loses his size advantage. IMO, it wasn't the playing time or anything else that made the difference, but playing pg instead of sg.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
If I recall correctly, Clarkson didn't start playing well until they put him at pg. He had his struggles at sg, where he loses his size advantage. IMO, it wasn't the playing time or anything else that made the difference, but playing pg instead of sg.

Clarkson began playing well as soon as he got real minutes and became a starter. Remember, he played significant minutes next to guys like Lin, Byucks and Brown... usually, when Brown or Byucks were on the floor, he played off the ball (at the SG spot), rather than the PG spot.

Looking at his stats, he seems to be slightly more productive on offense at the PG spot than the SG spot (although, I think that is skewed, because most of his poor play, i.e. before he became a starter, was at the SG spot, whereas after he become a starter, he played both). On defense, he is significantly better playing the 2 than the 1. Overall, he was more productive playing the SG than the PG, taking both sides of the floor into account.

http://www.82games.com/1415/14LAL2.HTM

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

Clarkson began playing well as soon as he got real minutes and became a starter. Remember, he played significant minutes next to guys like Lin, Byucks and Brown... usually, when Brown or Byucks were on the floor, he played off the ball (at the SG spot), rather than the PG spot.

Looking at his stats, he seems to be slightly more productive on offense at the PG spot than the SG spot (although, I think that is skewed, because most of his poor play, i.e. before he became a starter, was at the SG spot, whereas after he become a starter, he played both). On defense, he is significantly better playing the 2 than the 1. Overall, he was more productive playing the SG than the PG, taking both sides of the floor into account.

http://www.82games.com/1415/14LAL2.HTM

Thanks for the link to the #'s. Do these numbers take into account the times when he is on the floor with another pg(Lin), but he is the one actually bringing the ball up the floor? In other words, if he's playing with Lin or Price, how do they determine who is the pg?

At this point, he looks much more comfortable and productive to me when playing the 1, but that's just using the eye test(and I didn't get to see a ton of his games this year), and I usually use that as my #1 indicator. I'm just old school like that I guess. Maybe I'm off on this one. Also, I'm just basing this strictly on the offensive side of the floor. I think he has all of the tools to be a decent defender(probably at either position) with more seasoning, so I'm not really worried about that area yet.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject:

^IIRC, its subjective based on playing off the ball v. on it, who is guarding them and who they are guarding.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
^IIRC, its subjective based on playing off the ball v. on it, who is guarding them and who they are guarding.

K, thanks.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:
kinda OT

It's a puzzle to me. The only thing Exum has done well all year was draw in the defense at the FT line and kick out to shooters immediately.

Both Burke and Exum are shooting 38%FG or less, but Snyder has them both playing improved defense, and it's not 100% Gobert either.

Still, at the end of the season, despite the poor scoring backcourt, Utah was winning games.

So, I imagine how scary they'll get once the backcourt starts clicking too. It's not like Rodney Hood started off on fire.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: