laker fans, how does it feel that jerry west is over in golden state!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: laker fans, how does it feel that jerry west is over in golden state!

as I watch golden state my hatred for jim buss is at an all time high. This is my opinion but I feel as though jerry would have been in los angeles, however our fearless leader jim buss would not allow it because he wanted to show how good he was. I cant believe that jerry is not part of the laker organization and to watch what he has done over there in golden state. I cant put words to it. I just know we are going down in flames and our best talent evaluator is over there in golden state. I wish jerry was alive now because jim would have been fired by now.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject:

I don't feel anything really.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject:

I don't really see how it's Jim Buss' fault that Jerry West left back in 2000 and I doubt its Jim keeping him in GS.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

I blame Jim Buss for a lot of things but I do not know if I can blame Jim Buss for Jerry West working with the Warriors.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: laker fans, how does it feel that jerry west is over in golden state!

clutchkobe wrote:
as I watch golden state my hatred for jim buss is at an all time high. This is my opinion but I feel as though jerry would have been in los angeles, however our fearless leader jim buss would not allow it because he wanted to show how good he was. I cant believe that jerry is not part of the laker organization and to watch what he has done over there in golden state. I cant put words to it. I just know we are going down in flames and our best talent evaluator is over there in golden state. I wish jerry was alive now because jim would have been fired by now.

Eh, apparently you just keep forgetting that Jerry's big beef was with Phil...
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Jerry West's exit was Jim's doing? News to me.
Of course, Jim Buss is not my personal bogeyman as he is for so many around here.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Exactly, blame Phil. And by the way, Jerry isn't that involved with Golden State.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject:

It was just time to part ways, I don't blame anyone for West being with the Warriors.
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
I don't feel anything really.
rockyp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Its true that Jerry West wasn't too fond of jimbo but his problem was with Phil or rather Phil had a problem with Jerry.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: laker fans, how does it feel that jerry west is over in golden state!

clutchkobe wrote:

Phil drove Jerry West out, and Jerry Buss let him. If you feel a need to get angry at someone, choose one of those two. Personally, I don't care. West left 15 years ago and I rarely if ever think about him.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject:

I don't recall what book it was (either Roland Lazenby's or Mark Heisler's), but Jerry West hated the fact that Jeanie was dating Phil Jackson as he felt it would lead to a conflict of interest down the line (and boy was he right).

So your hatred of Jim Buss is misplaced. Hate Phil, if you're mad Jerry West is gone.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure how much West directly has to do with GS's success. He didn't exactly do a great job in Memphis, but yeah it hurts.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject:

I side with Phil. 5 rings is a pretty good haul compared to how West has fared elsewhere.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject:

The hatred for Jim Buss knows no bounds, does it? He's even scapegoated for things that happened long before anyone knew he existed.

Personally I am happy for Jerry. I consider West a true laker, and I like to see the real lakers succeed in their endeavors. I don't look for the negative in someone's positive
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject:

Jerry is in his mid 70's. He's a paid consultant on a rocking chair. He's has nice picks in his career and some duds as well which people never talk about like Hakeem Warrick, Drew Gooden, how he was over-ruled on Sidney Moncrief over Magic. All his picks in Memphis were not memorable. With the Lakers success, we always drafted in the late first rounds which was a hit or a miss with regards to draft picks. He gets applauded for guys like AC Green, Vlade, etc. But nobody ever touches on Billy Thomas, David Rivers, George Lynch, or how about the Jewish Jordan, Sam Jacobsen? Heck as much as I liked Anthony Peeler, that wasn't a good pick either in hindsight of what was available.

I guess when he's in his 80's and slaps his brand-name somewhere on some teams' payroll, the lip service will continue as well. "Lip service" is a life time benefit for all hall of famers. But just have some perspective man when you're doling it out. The guy is not completely responsible for GS's success, and Jim Buss isn't responsible for all the wars and famine on earth either.

Last edited by Runway8 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject:

It was Phil who drove him out.

I'm sorry that Jerry West is gone as he was the reason I became a Lakers fan. I will always be rooting for Jerry West to succeed as he'll always be The Laker to me. So how does it feel? Satisfying.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
It was Phil who drove him out.

I'm sorry that Jerry West is gone as he was the reason I became a Lakers fan. I will always be rooting for Jerry West to succeed as he'll always be The Laker to me. So how does it feel? Satisfying.

Yep ... I have no qualms about rooting for Golden State. I've watched more Warriors games than Lakers games since the Achilles. They are fun to watch, and with Jerry West and Klay Thompson it's as personal for me as pulling for the Lakers. I started following them the year the Lakers lost to the Mavs in the playoffs, when the Dubs made a really good showing in the second round vs. the Spurs.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject:

I feel 5 titles vs 0 titles.
I love Jerry West and would love to have him back, but it's not like he's winning championships every year.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject:

I'll take our 5 titles and 7 finals appearances since west left compared to....wait what is it the warriors have done? Oh that's right absolutely nothing
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
I side with Phil. 5 rings is a pretty good haul compared to how West has fared elsewhere.

Giving credit to Phil for 5 rings without acknowledging that he won with the players that West acquired is a bit dishonest.

Either way, vlf is right. West isn't that involved in GS.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Giving credit to Phil for 5 rings without acknowledging that he won with the players that West acquired is a bit dishonest.

Of course, one has to also note that the players West acquired didn't win any rings as a Laker until Phil arrived.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Of course, one has to also note that the players West acquired didn't win any rings as a Laker until Phil arrived.

That's great coaching (and timing), but how does that change which guy you would want running your franchise?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Kobe Bryant had just turned 21 years old when Phil had arrived, and West had assembled multiple title winners prior to Phil's arrival. Again, these are dishonest omissions. The primary reason that Phil Jackson has 11 rings is that he's coached 4 of the Top 25 (and 3 of the Top 10) players of all time, in their prime, and usually two at a time. The fact that this gets glossed over time and time again boggles my mind.

Jerry West was easily more important to our last 5 titles than Phil was, especially the first 3. There are several coaches who could lead prime Shaq & prime Kobe to titles. There aren't many guys that can nab both of them in the same offseason.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
rwongega wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Kobe Bryant had just turned 21 years old when Phil had arrived, and West had assembled multiple title winners prior to Phil's arrival. Again, these are dishonest omissions. The primary reason that Phil Jackson has 11 rings is that he's coached 4 of the Top 25 (and 3 of the Top 10) players of all time, in their prime, and usually two at a time. The fact that this gets glossed over time and time again boggles my mind.

Jerry West was easily more important to our last 5 titles than Phil was, especially the first 3. There are several coaches who could lead prime Shaq & prime Kobe to titles. There aren't many guys that can nab both of them in the same offseason.

Maybe it is just Karmic payback for West getting credit for a showtime team that was mostly provided to him?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: