Mass Effect DLC scam is ridiculous

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Mass Effect DLC scam is ridiculous

I have ME1-3 and nearly all the DLC on my Xbox, and every year I wait and see if they release a full collection I can buy for my gaming PC. Every (bleep) year I am disappointed.

What sucks is that they always cut the trilogy price down to $~10 (as it is on Amazon right now), problem being that the DLC for the last two games costs $~60 since they never put it on sale and never include it in the trilogy. And what's bad is that most of this DLC is necessary if you want to experience the story properly.

This is one of the few instances where I can say: (bleep) Bioware.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

What part of it is Bioware and what part of it is EA I wonder
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
What part of it is Bioware and what part of it is EA I wonder

Used to think it was EA's fault but apparently Bioware has full control over how their DLC is handled.

Either way it's probably a mix. Doubt we'll ever see something like the Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition again.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject:

Well I don't buy any DLC anymore. Last I bought was that green alien follower from mass effect.

It's a shame Paradox Interactive doesn't have any appealing RPG (dunno if they even publish RPG titles). They're doing well lately. The companies that they publish for are mostly niche genres but they do very well. They do have a (bleep) ton of paid DLC though.

Then there's CD Project. They're just amazing. DLC always free. Amazing quality. And they're very much involved with the consumers.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject:

I really don't buy DLC usually either, except for ME on my 360. Having played through it all I'd say the only ones really mandatory are Shadow Broker and Citadel, and that puts you back an extra $30.

Paradox does have an RPG: Mount and Blade. Love that game...no point in DLC because the mods for it are total conversions usually.
Nordvader
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

DLC in general is a scam.

Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject:

Not really a "scam". It's just a method that developers have resorted to in order to make money since these AAA games cost to much to create. But at the same time, customers will not be willing to pay above $60 for a game, and customers insist on a physical used game market where the devs can't make money there either.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Not really a "scam". It's just a method that developers have resorted to in order to make money since these AAA games cost to much to create. But at the same time, customers will not be willing to pay above $60 for a game, and customers insist on a physical used game market where the devs can't make money there either.

Not a scam pe se, but maddening, yes.

If you like the game enough you'll pay the $180 + DLC cost on release. I did for the entire ME trilogy. After that, the price is usually reduced because time = money; people who wait for a low price weren't very interested at release or are very patient, and either way the game company isn't going to lose any money from that market by lowering prices. It's a plus if they get those people to pay anything.

Right now I guarantee most ME sales are happening on the PC, since it's people like me who want a better experience or just general folks since most PCs can run it nowadays better than the 360/PS3. There's no used game market for PCs, only piracy, but I can't imagine a better way to stop that than to provide a decent sale on DLC (or sell a collection + DLC at a reduced price).

But like you say, half of this is because the AAA gaming industry is a bloated joke. Here's a good article on that:

http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/1/3439738/the-state-of-games-state-of-aaa

So basically, as you suggest, EAware is trying to recoup the development cost of ME, Battlefield, DAI, and whatever else they are releasing through this kind of overpriced DLC. Which generally works, as they target RPG fans who buy and consume this kind of content voraciously.

But eventually they'll reach a tipping point where pricing the DLC so high loses more money than it makes. When that happens, I will pounce on the first $7 deal for the entire collection that I see
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

Expansion Packs were cool. They should just go back to that.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

I wish. Whoever came up with micro-transactions and piecemeal DLC needs to be burned at the proverbial stake.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Which generally works, as they target RPG fans who buy and consume this kind of content voraciously.

It's a shame that JRPGs are also now slowly starting to add paid DLC content.

Do you ever check out the indie scene? Maybe there's stuff there. Problem is that ever since it really took off and exploded, there's just so much garbage there. Hard to dig through it to find some quality.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Which generally works, as they target RPG fans who buy and consume this kind of content voraciously.

It's a shame that JRPGs are also now slowly starting to add paid DLC content.

Do you ever check out the indie scene? Maybe there's stuff there. Problem is that ever since it really took off and exploded, there's just so much garbage there. Hard to dig through it to find some quality.

I've gotten a few indie games recently, though it can be hit and miss. Was burned on one early access game on steam.

AAA games, or at least how they are now, will die soon enough. Good games don't require millions to make. I'd pay more for Kotor 3 using the same engine as the first two than a new CoD.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject:

The original ending of ME3 killed all my interest in the franchise.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:

I just play the Citadel DLC and pretend that it's the real ending.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:

And all bioware for me
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

And all bioware for me

Real Bioware died sometime in 2009, just enough to push out ME2 with the last of their talent. Their post ME2 games have been alright but nothing has captured the sense of wonder I had while playing KotOR/Jade Empire/ME2/Dragon Age.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject:

Jade Empire. Man that was something! They even had a sequel in mind at some point...
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I wish. Whoever came up with micro-transactions and piecemeal DLC needs to be burned at the proverbial stake.

I blame it on Microsoft and the spoiled gaming community (not all of us... just the spoiled ones who apparently has a money growing tree): Microsoft for starting this whole thing with "horse armor" DLC when the 360 and Oblivion first came out and for the dumb, spoiled gamers who don't know how to vote with their wallets (the Call of Duty Dude Bro Generation).

I mean really, you have DLC now that's ON DISC and the DLC is just a software patch to unlock it. How is anyone not boycotting this??? Why do people keep buying this??? That's why these companies are getting away with it.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:

i bought the 3 disc set for ps3 not too long ago and i think they include a lot, but not all of the dlc. lame. also, i'm currently replaying KoTOR. they sure don't make games like they used to.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Once EA started with all the micro transactions it was over, other companies had to follow suit. They want to make money. Their end game is how much can i make from it. Also, alot of games flop for whatever reasons, with DLC they can at least break even because well fanboi's. lol
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject:

gill2k wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I blame it on Microsoft and the spoiled gaming community (not all of us... just the spoiled ones who apparently has a money growing tree): Microsoft for starting this whole thing with "horse armor" DLC when the 360 and Oblivion first came out and for the dumb, spoiled gamers who don't know how to vote with their wallets (the Call of Duty Dude Bro Generation).

I mean really, you have DLC now that's ON DISC and the DLC is just a software patch to unlock it. How is anyone not boycotting this??? Why do people keep buying this??? That's why these companies are getting away with it.

It is sad that gamers have just accepted the current state of gaming. Yes sometimes there is some good DLC, but its usually just some lame BS. We have all these annualised games on the market that push for the holiday season every year. All they end up doing is releasing broken games at launch while they work on their DLC instead of fixing bugs.

Then there is like you mentioned the on disc DLC. Content they have already finished that they will charge you extra for. The developers aren't spending extra time post launch on this stuff. No they are just gonna cut stuff out and charge you for it later. And even if its not on the disc don't be fooled and think that they didn't finish most of it or not all before launch.

The worst is micro transactions though. NBA 2k charging you real money for in game currency to get an advantage on other players that only paid the $60 dollars for the damn annual game. There are people out there spending hundreds of dollars on their stupid MyTeam mode. 2k does this even though NBA 2k is one of the best selling games every year now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: