The 1990s, A Blueprint to Rebuild Today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject:

Darius Soriano from FB&G has some similar thoughts.

Quote:
The Lakers, via the draft and this upcoming summer in free agency, would be better served thinking back to their own history — the years leading up to 1996. In the seasons right before signing Shaq and trading for Kobe’s draft rights, the Lakers stockpiled young players and made smart signings in free agency for young-ish players who would become the assets that were either traded for or directly contributed to the teams that broke through for a three-peat under Phil Jackson. Fast-forward to today and this team, with a little lottery luck and their spending power, could be in position to set a similar foundation.

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2015/04/23/lakers-spending-power-free-agency-draft/#more-18146
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
laker4life wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I think that by year 5 of this rebuild (2019) we will be contending for the Western Conference championship.

What year do you consider was our last contending year/season

It already seems like it's been forever since the last contending team.

In my opinion, the last contending team was Phil's last year.

Everything went downhill with Mike Brown

With Kobe's bad knee, LA wasnt really a contender in phil's last year either.

Kobe's bad knee, Phil's health, Pau being a wuss. They were technically contenders that season but contenders with no hope of winning anything. They should have rebuilt then. I appreciated that Howard and Nash attempt, but it only delayed the inevitable.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
What is amazing is that during the 1990s rebuild, the Lakers only missed the playoffs once, and barely.

They got in 92 on the last shot of the season. Great gm vs LAC at home, the Clips had a chance to knock them out and they busted their asses trying. Sedale hit a shot over a flopping Doc Rivers to win by a point. Literally: Sedale misses the shot, Lakers are out, Houston is in.

Just went over to your channel and re watched that gm, good stuff man.

(link)

Appreciate your view, bro. And that was the Shaq, Zo, etc etc year. It was either an extremely proud display by our vets or an outright dumb one, maybe a combination of both, . Interesting tidbit. Lakers also scraped into the 93 playoffs with, I'm gonna say...39 wins? Under .500. That was the season Orlando got their additional 1st overall pick with 1 ping pong ball in a drum with only 66 total. It took forever just to get to a point where they've increased the odds against the better teams in the mix and yet it's still flawed in its design (Cleveland with a 1.9% chance getting 1) and fans still crying "Fixed!" We went from envelopes with bent corners to less ping pong balls to more ping pong balls to computer generated number combos, etc.

Course in 93, both us and Boston got screwed in the final secs of the series closeout with a BS help decision by refs against PHX and CHAR. It didn't take too much of a leap to assume that the league preferred the Suns and Hornets to move on rather than the crusty old Lakers and Celtics. After Zo's famous shot to move ahead of Boston, McHale threw a perfect alley oop pass from midcourt to Dee Brown who was one of the best 2-foot vertical jumpers in the league. Dee caught it in air and had already dropped the ball over the cylinder before 2 Hornets jumped up, barely deflecting it -- and the ball still hit the rim, showing it was over the cylinder. The refs didn't wanna get killed that night for calling goaltending, I guess.

Reggie Lewis collapsed during that series in his final game and collapsed and died while practicing in July. I just saw the Westhead 30 For 30 with the footage of Hank Gathers' death. He did the same thing. He fell out just like Reggie in a game prior to his death. That's sad sh to watch. The stunned look in Gathers' eyes as he laid there before fading out and of course, Hank had to be a gentle giant with a happy go lucky style, childlike, never mean to anyone, etc. It's never a prick that it happens to. I was shocked they put that footage in there. I had never seen that footage in 25 years.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
laker4life wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I think that by year 5 of this rebuild (2019) we will be contending for the Western Conference championship.

What year do you consider was our last contending year/season

It already seems like it's been forever since the last contending team.

In my opinion, the last contending team was Phil's last year.

Everything went downhill with Mike Brown

With Kobe's bad knee, LA wasnt really a contender in phil's last year either.

In Phil's last year, we were trying to go to the finals for the 4th season in a row.

Very difficult and probably impossible. The Cavs did it recently last year but lost in the finals. Lebron said that he was exhausted. The Spurs are going for number 3 this year.

If a team can make it to the finals 4 years in a row, that is very impressive.

Phil had our team prepared to make a run but there was various internal problems with the team. In the end, we lost to the Mavs which proceeded to win a championship.

The Lakers were definitely a contender that year (2010-2011).

After that year, Mike Brown came in and we never contended again.
captain jack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject:

We can't really begin evaluating the direction of the Lakers until we know if we get a top 5 pick in this year's draft? There is a 17% chance we don't get the pick and that will certainly set us back a year or so. I'm not expecting much until 2016 when the salary cap jumps significantly and Kobe's contract comes off the table. Expect 2015/16 season to be similar to 2014/15...we'll probably pick up free agents; Rondo and/or Tyson Chandler or Brook/Robin Lopez. I doubt Love moves... (Lebron or Kobe) and Lamarcus will either stay in Portland or head to San Antonio (Popovich/Spurs Management or BScott/Jimmy Buss), he's from Texas. Hey what if Portland traded Lamarcus for Love? Love is from Portland. The only certain picks we have in the 2015 draft are the 27 and 34 picks. However, if we luck out and get the 4th or 5th pick I hope either Willie Stein or Trey Lyles become the pick, I'm not sure on Mudiay, but one good sign is Larry Brown loved him as a player.
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Were behind schedule because of Kobe and his contract. The FO has tried to build around a old Kobe by trades and none of it worked. The worst part about it is he might not want to retire after next year. The FO has to let it go, he's not the same player anymore. They need to start building around Randle, Clarkson, and top 5 pick. It starts this summer by signing a defensive big, not players like Rondo or Love.

+1
Druggas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
This thread in one sentence:
Jerry West was a transcendent General Manager.

I was going to say, get JW here first, and the rest will follow suit.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject:

The goal is to always draft well. Nothing wrong with continously replenishing talent.

Don't want to keep a talented player? Trade him for a future pick, possibly a better one.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

that's to bad.......jimbo will be gone before that....he only has one year
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: