In reality, how long before we can contend for a playoff spot?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject:

3-4 years unless we get some serious talent through trade/FA. Randle/Clarkson/top 5 not enough to take us there in the WC.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject:

We should make the playoffs in in 2 years.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject:

It's a tricky question. I think we could contend for a playoff seed, albeit a low one, as early as next season by signing one of the big names, like Dragic, or Love, or DJ, or LMA. However that sort of move would not bode well for the future as none of those guys are clear cut franchise guys. And all will be overpaid imo (well except for LMA). As un-Laker as it may sound, I'd rather the team not contend for a playoff spot and try to develop their young talent (hopefully keeping their pick this draft). My goals for this offseason are simple; Keep your pick and hit a home run and try to steal one of the young RFAs. If the second part doesn't happen, all the more pressure to nail the first. Hitting a home run in the draft counts just the same as hitting one in free agency imo.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject:

I'd love to see them squeak into the playoffs next season so the youngsters can get some experience but I won't complain if it is the season after.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject:

The NBA landscape changes from year to year. Some of these 7-8th seeded teams could windup in the lotto again next season look at the hornets and pacers .. knicks?? The lakers arent really that far off depends on who they get this summer its pretty simple if you sign talent you have the chance of making the playoffs . The last 2 summers Mitch has signed a pile of crap.

Other than JC/kobe the rest of the roster is utter trash.
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject:

My guess is we contend for the 8th seed and make the playoffs next year. The 2015 Free agent class is pretty deep and we have done enough to get younger and fast.

Clarkson Kobe Julius 4th pick free agent Is a pretty good starting line.
Lakerfan#37
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject:

If we get really lucky and get a top 2 pick this year, add solid defensive free agents or trade for them, and have great chemistry as a team, then we definitely can make the playoffs. That's a lot of if's, but we are not too far from the 8th seed if our team clicks. Contending for a title is a bit farther off. I'm hoping 3-4years.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Season after next. Clarkson, Randle, top 5 pick from this year, lottery pick from next year, and max free agent.
we really need a frozen envelop for that to happen, since next year's pick is only top 3 protected. If things break right, I think we can hover around .500 next season, with the young players developing and some FA signing in 2017, we should be back in the playoffs.

(bleep). So really, we're losing a lottery pick no matter what, even if we don't get unlucky this year.

Huh? We traded a pick. I thought the condition is simply on when the trade of that pick occurs, not if we trade one at all.

Which is why I don't get the hooplah about the condition added since, all it did was give us some semblance of a chance to keep it should everything go wrong.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Good, some realism out of you. I'm proud of you.

But I'm sure in a few months we'll see posts that predict we'll win 45-50 games.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject:

Making the playoffs next year would need all the pieces to fall into place perfectly. About as much good fortune as they have had bad fortune the last couple of years. But not impossible.

Lakers would need to improve by 25 games to sniff the playoffs. At the very least:
- Lottery top 5 has a big impact
- 2 of 3 Laker picks have to contribute signifcantly
- solid free agency signings that all contribute
- Kobe stays healthy and plays efficiently
- young players continue upward development.
- good team health next season
- player chemistry and system buy-in would need to be near perfect.

IMO too many things that have to go right and no room for error. Hopefully they are improving near 20 games and threatening the 8th spot the final month.

More likely the playoffs come the next season after adding an elite free agent or two to the foundation of the team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject:

What I'm envisioning (and this is being optimistic)

2015: win 35-40 games, Kobe gets to retire on his own terms, not via injury. We hang around the 8-10 spot, with "if the Lakers can go on a winning streak they may remarkably be in the 8th spot" kind of conversation. Likely finish 9-10 (instead of 14 the past 2 seasons). We see tremendous promise in Randle/Clarkson/Top 5/other rookies (though I doubt we keep them all). We also pick up some long term free agents who fit nicely with the team.

2016: we pick up more free agent pieces (more higher ended talent) and we are in the playoff mix, hovering in the 7-8th see range. We see growth of our young players and move into 2017 with space for another max player (Russ).

2017: the tables are set for a strong playoff run from here on out.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Good, some realism out of you. I'm proud of you.

But I'm sure in a few months we'll see posts that predict we'll win 45-50 games.

In fairness, VLF has been pretty consistent that way. One of the few against the Howard trade, and has preached a patient rebuild.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:

I think next year is possible. Not necessarily because we will be good enough, but I have a feeling a few teams take a step back.

Portland, OKC, Dallas, and the Clippers are teams off the top of my head that could have setbacks.

Last edited by BigEvil on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

The lakers aren't rebuilding.. They were only rebuilding in the last 2 years with so many flexibility in the next 2-3 years the plan is gonna be to retool the roster and reload... I think that is the cautious feeling 24.

Last edited by K0BEE 2.0 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
The lakers aren't rebuilding.. They were only rebuilding the last 2 years with so many flexibility in the next 2-3 years the plan is gonna be to retool the roster and reload... I think that is the cautious feeling 24.

No, we are rebuilding. If we keep our picks, we will have 7-8 1st/2nd year players. That's rebuilding.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:

I think if they make some quality FA signings they can compete for a playoff spot (8th seed say like 45-47 wins) right away. However we are no lock.

We won't be a playoff lock for a while. It'll take imo at least 2 successful off seasons of good quality players and a star or two being added to be a perennial playoff team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject:

The lakers are gonna use those young players as trade assets.. There is a good chance some of them will be moved.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Season after next. Clarkson, Randle, top 5 pick from this year, lottery pick from next year, and max free agent.

this sounds pretty close.

need a bench too and a good coach.. the west is just too strong.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

You also have to factor in the chance that Scott may/may not be the coach once Kobe retires. I have a hard time seeing him here after 2016 (Lakers have team option on final year) if Kobe's gone.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

It is simply hard to predict. There is no way to say when we be in the playoffs or contending for that matter again.

I understand the Kupchak has been great previously but this time he is rebuilding from scratch. Last time, after the Shaq trade, he had Kobe in his prime.

Randle and Clarkson are talented but we still do not know if they will be "all stars" or simply "strong role players".

Look at the quote from Brian Windhorst from ESPN when talking about Raptors recently after getting swept. Each of these organizations want the same thing.

Raptors face tough offseason decisions

"... Rebuilding is painful and it costs people jobs, it costs people their reputations and it costs the owners millions.

You don’t go into it lightly. Ask the Los Angeles Lakers and the New York Knicks if they enjoyed this past season. Ask the Orlando Magic how the post-Dwight Howard rebuild has been. The Minnesota Timberwolves have been rebuilding so long the guy they’re rebuilding from losing, Kevin Garnett, is back there.

It’s guaranteed to be miserable with no assured end date. It’s just not simple. ..."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/2042/raptors-face-tough-offseason-decisions

There is simply no end date.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

15 wrote:
How can you think we will not make the playoffs next year?

We have kobe and randle coming back, clarkson developing, a top 5 draft pick, and hopefully one decent free agent : DJ, lamarcus Aldridge, gasol, love.

I think we will be 8th seed next year, and even so, we can be a dangerous 8th seed like okc was in 2009. We have the same young guns okc did in2009 in clarkson, randle, and our top 5.
rockyp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

I think its unrealistic the lakers can make the playoffs next year. As for 2016-17, who knows, depends on the FA we land and how the front office manages the team. They couldn't get past the first round with superstars and veterans, I doubt they can make the playoffs with a young squad.
Mege
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject:

2016/17
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: In reality, how long before we can contend for a playoff spot?

lakerglory wrote:
I know keeping the pick this year will be essential and the pending free agency will determine how far we go in the near future. But, if all goes well on both regards.. how soon can we make the playoffs in the loaded west?

Your question is stacking the deck by saying "if all goes well." Sure, it's possible we could be in the playoff next year if Kobe comes back and plays well for 82 games; Randle is great out of the box, we get the 5th pick is another immediate winner ...

But that's best case. The reality, in my view, is is unknown until we see what free agents we get; what draft picks we get; how Randle plays in real games. So much is up in the air that I don't see how anyone could do anything now but pull a guess out of thin air.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

2 years should be the goal
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: