Cavaliers apologize for the domestic violence parody video shown in Game 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Cavaliers apologize for the domestic violence parody video shown in Game 2

Who thought this was a good idea?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/07/cavaliers-domestic-violence-is-a-very-serious-matter-and-has-no-place-in-a-parody-video/

Quote:
Cavaliers: ‘Domestic violence is a very serious matter and has no place in a parody video’

The Cavaliers showed a video during their game last night that joked about a man battering his wife because she was a Bulls fan.

It was inappropriate – which the Cavs eventually realized.

Cavaliers release:

During a timeout at last night’s Cavaliers vs. Bulls playoff game at The Q in Cleveland, we ran a 1-minute in-arena video that was intended to be a humorous spoof on a popular commercial centered on a song and dance from the classic movie ‘Dirty Dancing.’ While the video was not intended to be offensive, it was a mistake to include content that made light of domestic violence.

Domestic violence is a very serious matter and has no place in a parody video that plays in an entertainment venue. We sincerely apologize to those who have been affected by domestic violence for the obvious negative feelings caused by being exposed to this insensitive video.

The Cavaliers organization has a strong and lengthy track record of supporting domestic violence-related causes and efforts. We will continue to proudly work with our regional partners at the Domestic Violence & Child Advocacy Center in support of their numerous programs to end domestic violence in our country once and for all.

Apologizing was the only reasonable next for the Cavaliers, but they slightly missed the mark by apologizing only to “those who have been affected by domestic violence for the obvious negative feelings caused by being exposed to this insensitive issue.”

The problem was not just hurt feelings, and it’s not limited to those who have been personally affected by domestic abuse.

“Jokes” like the video normalize real abuse. They desensitize us to it to the point we don’t always see it or take it seriously when it’s happening.

This video, to whatever small degree, contributed to that problem.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject:

I'll be the first to pick up a torch and pitchfork against the Cavs but this isn't domestic abuse. This is just stupid. Actually, I take that back, bleep the Cavs. Domestic abuse isn't funny you asshats!
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I heard about this this morning and before watching the video I thought it was gonna be just people overreacting like usual. After seeing the video yea that was in pretty poor taste. And just plain stupid by the Cavs.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject:

12 wrote:
I'll be the first to pick up a torch and pitchfork against the Cavs but this isn't domestic abuse. This is just stupid. Actually, I take that back, bleep the Cavs. Domestic abuse isn't funny you asshats!

Lol this was hilarious. Stop crying you babies. Just a joke.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject:

[Don't bypass the profanity filter unless you want to be suspended. - CL]
chickensandwich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject:

wasn't sure what to expect before watching the video, but yeah, poor taste indeed. no clue how anyone thought it'd be a good idea (as evidenced by how quick the backlash has been, "overreaction" or not).

and to anyone saying it's "just a joke," the whole point is in the title. whether you want to label it domestic violence or not, having a guy intentionally throw his partner to the ground (and then lingering on her injuries -- no idea why they would do that in addition) is a pretty weighty action to have played off as a joke, particularly given that sports culture hasn't always shown itself to take domestic violence seriously.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject:

America is officially kill

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject:

One very minor detail would have changed the whole video. Had he not thrown her and simply not caught her, it would just be funny. The fact that he chucked her made it a little too aggressive for some people obviously.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

Bet if the genders were flipped no one would be saying anything.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

AS I said in the other thread where this was mentioned, the only thing offensive about that video is how incredibly bad it is in every fashion.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

Yep. They had one feminist on ESPN acting all offended and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject:

This is the commercial they were parodying. Not sure why, as I didn't think it was a popular, well-known ad, but it certainly isn't about domestic violence.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

cinimod wrote:
One very minor detail would have changed the whole video. Had he not thrown her and simply not caught her, it would just be funny. The fact that he chucked her made it a little too aggressive for some people obviously.

Exactly what I was thinking
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

Generally - if you are allowed to say or do something about a certain group and get away with it, it means that target group is superior.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject:

The Q being a circus as usual.

!...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: