Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
So.. not only is LeVert going back to school.. so is Kris Dunn

Sources: Providence guard Kris Dunn plans to return for junior season

Providence guard Kris Dunn plans to return for his junior season and bypass the NBA draft, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
A formal announcement is expected soon, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Dunn is the highest-rated underclassman still publicly undecided about entering the June NBA draft. NBA executives believe the 6-foot-4 Dunn could have ascended into the late lottery – or the mid-part of the first round.

Draftexpress.com has Dunn pegged at No. 13 in its most recent mock draft.

Dunn, 21, averaged 15.6 points, 7.5 assists and 2.7 steals for the Friars last season.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--providence-guard-kris-dunn-plans-to-return-for-junior-season-191040393.html

So that's both sleepers.

Not according to his school

Quote:

Providence Friars @PCAthletics · 24h 24 hours ago

Contrary to social media reports Kris Dunn has NOT made any decisions about his future plans. Still researching options. #Gofriars

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
Christian Wood staying at UNLV

Nah, he declared.

https://twitter.com/Chriswood_5/status/591064401056124929

How do u like him? I think he's mid first talent. Fluid as hell, almost 6'11, long, explosive. Potential skills w the jumper and off the dribble out of triple threat. 7'2 wingspan in 2012, need new measurements.

Haven't seen him much. Watched a few videos just now, agree with mid 1st due to his unique combination of size and skill. I'd probably play him at the 2 or 3 in the NBA, worried about his lower body strength at the 4.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Iandrewd wrote:

Shaq was REALLY physical coming out of college and yet he wasn't nearly as physically dominant his rookie season as he would be later in his career.

Yeah, in his rookie season he could only dunk with one 250+lb guy literally hugging him. A few years later he could do it with 2 guys. What's your point? He was a beast from the beginning.

Quote:
How about this, Okafor disappeared in the title game. Does that mean he doesn't stand a chance because Kaminsky could shut him down?

I'm a late comer to this discussion, but I'm going to guess that Mike was probably referring to his body of work, not a single game (although he used a single match up as illustrative of the problem). You are referring to a single data point with Okafor.
Iandrewd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:

Shaq was REALLY physical coming out of college and yet he wasn't nearly as physically dominant his rookie season as he would be later in his career.

Yeah, in his rookie season he could only dunk with one 250+lb guy literally hugging him. A few years later he could do it with 2 guys. What's your point? He was a beast from the beginning.

Quote:
How about this, Okafor disappeared in the title game. Does that mean he doesn't stand a chance because Kaminsky could shut him down?

I'm a late comer to this discussion, but I'm going to guess that Mike was probably referring to his body of work, not a single game (although he used a single match up as illustrative of the problem). You are referring to a single data point with Okafor.

Yeah, just like the original analysis of Mudiay relied on some very specific data points against Sun Yue....
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Iandrewd wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, just like the original analysis of Mudiay relied on some very specific data points against Sun Yue....

But didn't show "elite athleticism" throughout the entire season.

At least when Okafor came back late in the second half, he came out huge with two key buckets late to help Duke seal the victory.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Yeah no one is saying we shouldn't draft Mudiay; we just feel prospects like Russell are superior in comparison.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Yeah no one is saying we shouldn't draft Mudiay; we just feel prospects like Russell are superior in comparison.

A lot of people are saying that. Including me. He just does nothing special
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

And I don't like his sideburns. Seriously. He needs to shave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Mike got to me. I think I would take Kris Dunn over Mudiay at this point.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Part of me wonders if Oubre isn't a sleeper pick due to his athleticism and length + potential etc.

I think the pick would be Winslow at 4 or 5.

I don't know why I think that, particularly with how Oubre looked this year. But something tells me he's getting a closer look than we expect. I can't really explain why though.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Part of me wonders if Oubre isn't a sleeper pick due to his athleticism and length + potential etc.

I don't know why I think that, particularly with how Oubre looked this year. But something tells me he's getting a closer look than we expect. I can't really explain why though.

When he upped his motor after the first few games for Kansas, he looked lottery.

Wingspan, jumpshot, and ability to force turnovers. Still a bit light and a straight line driver.

Nearly 2 steals and 1bpg per 40.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:

When he upped his motor after the first few games for Kansas, he looked lottery.

Wingspan, jumpshot, and ability to force turnovers. Still a bit light and a straight line driver.

Nearly 2 steals and 1bpg per 40.

Yeah that is what I'm wondering.

If Winslow is taken at 4th or so.

And our options are Mudiay, Johnson, Hezonja, WCS, Oubre.

Then what do we go with? Likely the guy that has shown us the most athleticism and upside in the workouts. And something tells me that Oubre may be the guy that 'maybe' would, considering his jump shot and defensive potential, athleticism and motor. Something tells me that he could be our sleeper pick if we fall to 5 and the top 4 goes Okafor, Towns, Russell, Winslow.

I don't know why though. I mean I see him as more of a straight line driver just like you do so I don't see him being a dominant isolation scorer. I could definitely see him as a potential 3 and D deadly type of player though. He says that he wants to be a two-way player akin to Leonard and Butler. I am wondering if the Lakers see that "potential" in him. While the game catches up to him at the very least he'd have that jump shot, which would help the Lakers a lot.

At the same time I don't think Oubre does anything Hezonja doesn't. But Hezonja not going to the combine, with the character questions and question if he could defend 3s at the next level while Oubre seems to have the potential to defend 4 positions maay be something that gets him a nod. I think it will depend on him vs Stanley Johnson at that point. But as a positive towards Oubre he DEFINITELY seems the exact kind of player that would benefit being on the court with Kobe because of the wide open shots he'd get from both Kobe and Clarkson or a Randle that opens up the perimeter whole he's driving to the basket.

In fact if you're building a core around what Clarkson and Randle can do, you need a perimeter threat, and Oubre does scream "guy you want wide open at the three point line if he's on your team." and as said, when he used his motor he showed good defense as well as above average rebounding when that motor is on and if I'm a Lakers fan(which I am) or if I'm coach Byron Scott the guy I want to IMMEDIATELY get into the gym to work with Oubre is Michael Cooper.

But what do you think?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject:

MJST
As U know, Oubre is just really great clay, the body and athleticsm
He was 1st among SFs in steals per 40 pace adjusted.. And he has a legit skill with the steals, great at tracing, and a 7-2 wingpaan
A euro step would help offensively, and being a lefty, I think a euro step would be effective for him.
His shooting stroke is crazy effortless and it's quick. Potential for shooting it off the dribble maybe from deep.
Idk, kid is great clay. I wouldn't place any bets on him being a top 5 player from this draft(and drafting him top 5 is a big bet). But I really like his clay.

I have reservations about Winslow, just like I have reservations about every kid from this draft. They all have question marks to me. Winslow being regarded as a below par ball handler before matching up vs PFs, and a non pure stroke on his J..
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject:

been warming up to oubre more and more the closer it gets to lottery/draft time. the defensive numbers are good as mentioned, and for all my reservations of him being a sulky AAU prettyboy, he had nearly 10(!!) rebounds per 40 in Big 12 play, as a wing player. that's crazy effort and production. he has some natural shake too so he could develop at least a passable nba offense based on getting to the rim at first
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject:

We really need to add a serious core piece from this draft pick.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

lkjhf wrote:
been warming up to oubre more and more the closer it gets to lottery/draft time. the defensive numbers are good as mentioned, and for all my reservations of him being a sulky AAU prettyboy, he had nearly 10(!!) rebounds per 40 in Big 12 play, as a wing player. that's crazy effort and production. he has some natural shake too so he could develop at least a passable nba offense based on getting to the rim at first

Just measured 7'2.25 wingspan... .75" less than Kawhi.
Also had the most steals per 40 pace adjusted out of SFs in the draft.
He's in the convo for me
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I've been warming to the idea of Oubre. I don't know why just starting to get a feeling about it.

If the Lakers think they can mold him the right way, then it may just come down to who impresses them the most. He has the potential to guard 4 positions and he already has a very solid jump shot and athleticism.

What he needs to work on aside from experience is his handle. Amazingly enough his stats in the open court despite his dribbling was actually pretty solid though I don't know the exact number, he was very good at scoring in the open court and stepping into his threes on the catch. For a guy that will likely be off ball till his handle gets better, with Clarkson, Kobe and Randle drawing defensive attention he'd fit just fine into spot up 3 point shooting, cut to the basket role that Wes currently has and Oubre may become a more consistent player at it.
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject:

after combine measurements came out, his standing reach is pretty unremarkable considering that wingspan, and his hands are in babyhands territory relative to his frame, so he'll never be in kawhi territory(nobody is, really). still like him tho lol
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject:

This is my dude at #27. I hope he's still around. That body and he's a pass first PG? Ridiculous!

-George Lucas: The young Brazilian guard largely matched his Nike Hoop Summit measurements. Standing 6'4.5 without shoes with a 7' wingspan, Lucas has outstanding size for a player who spends time at the point guard position. De Paula is pretty much the same size as Marshon Brooks was coming out of Providence, except he plays exclusively at the point and not on the wing like Brooks. Brooks measured 6'4.25 without shoes with a 7'1 wingspan and a 195-pound frame. De Paula has an impressive frame in his own right tipping the scales at 197 pounds with a very low 6.7% body fat ratio, finished 7th in hand width and 2nd in hand length among all players here (largely surrounded by power forwards and centers on the list), and is still only 18. Needless to say, he's one of the most unique physical specimens at the point guard position in this draft, or any draft for that matter. It's safe to say that NBA teams will be watching him very very closely the next few days.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3a4k9cDjb
http://www.draftexpress.com
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject:

Very intrigued by Oubre now, had barely noticed him before this thread. Seems that chances are increasingly poor that he slides past lottery eyes.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject:

Russell with an almost 6'10 winspan is elite for a pg. I think his lateral quickness is better than people give him credit for. There are scouts saying he may go first overal! I really hop we land at the third spot at least because russell is going to be. A star
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:
This is my dude at #27. I hope he's still around. That body and he's a pass first PG? Ridiculous!

-George Lucas: The young Brazilian guard largely matched his Nike Hoop Summit measurements. Standing 6'4.5 without shoes with a 7' wingspan, Lucas has outstanding size for a player who spends time at the point guard position. De Paula is pretty much the same size as Marshon Brooks was coming out of Providence, except he plays exclusively at the point and not on the wing like Brooks. Brooks measured 6'4.25 without shoes with a 7'1 wingspan and a 195-pound frame. De Paula has an impressive frame in his own right tipping the scales at 197 pounds with a very low 6.7% body fat ratio, finished 7th in hand width and 2nd in hand length among all players here (largely surrounded by power forwards and centers on the list), and is still only 18. Needless to say, he's one of the most unique physical specimens at the point guard position in this draft, or any draft for that matter. It's safe to say that NBA teams will be watching him very very closely the next few days.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3a4k9cDjb
http://www.draftexpress.com

Plus, every time he comes into a game they can play the Darth Vader theme over the PA
Mege
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Mudiay

Not sure if these videos have been posted. Contrary to what has been said about on these boards, Mudiay has shown elite level speed and athleticism in China. He's also shown that he can get around defenders when forced to his left (contrary to the Upsidemotor story posted here that claimed he doesn't possess breathtaking speed and is easily shut down when forced left).

CBA Highlights up until the ankle injury

Mudiay's CBA playoff comeback

1st video notes:
His ability to finish through contact is on display here. Note his body control and level of concentration after he receives contact. These are grown men putting bodies on him
0:52 - Athleticism on display
0:58 - Mudiay is forced left on 3 consecutive highlights where he:
Gets around defender and finishes with a pull up
Gets around defender, into the paint, goes back to right and finishes with right-handed layup
Gets around defender, goes back to right and makes pull up at the top of the key.
1:17 - he starts right then goes left and finishes with left hand.
1:35 - Burst of speed on display as he creates separation after a steal and finishes with 2 hand reverse jam.
1:41 - more athleticism on display as he goes up over big to battle for a rebound
2:17 - Posts up defender, drop step and finishes with layup.
2:25 - Going left again, gets into paint, splits double team and finishes with left.

2nd video notes:
0:06 - More athleticism on display as he attacks closeout, goes baseline and finishes with reverse layup.
0:45 - In transition, goes left and finishes with left hand layup.
1:18 - loses defender going left again and finishes with right hand layup.
1:38 - gets into paint, freezes Marbury with a jab step and pass fake then finishes with left.
1:54 - Forced left, gets around defender, finishes with left.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mudiay

Mege wrote:
Not sure if these videos have been posted. Contrary to what has been said about on these boards, Mudiay has shown elite level speed and athleticism in China. He's also shown that he can get around defenders when forced to his left (contrary to the Upsidemotor story posted here that claimed he doesn't possess breathtaking speed and is easily shut down when forced left).

1st video notes:
His ability to finish through contact is on display here. Note his body control and level of concentration after he receives contact. These are grown men putting bodies on him
Gets around defender, into the paint, goes back to right and finishes with right-handed layup
Gets around defender, goes back to right and makes pull up at the top of the key.
1:35 - Burst of speed on display as he creates separation after a steal and finishes with 2 hand reverse jam.
1:41 - more athleticism on display as he goes up over big to battle for a rebound
2:25 - Going left again, gets into paint, splits double team and finishes with left.

2nd video notes:
0:06 - More athleticism on display as he attacks closeout, goes baseline and finishes with reverse layup.
1:38 - gets into paint, freezes Marbury with a jab step and pass fake then finishes with left.

Hmm okay I'll show this to my Knicks fans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mudiay

Mege wrote:

1st video notes:

2nd video notes:

0:52 - Shows good speed. Vert is average. Dunk on wingspan.
0:58 - Chinese defenders, 1st play, goes around defender and takes a tough bank shot. 2nd play. Shows excellent body control with hesitation and ball-handling, against smaller, slower defenders, makes decision, takes shot. 3rd play. Chinese defender. Splits the hedge on a Pick and roll, takes fadeaway jumpshot from 15'. At the NBA level, the hedge is harder, the pick is set farther away, and the shot is 18'+.
1:18 - Chinese defender is already late to position as Mudiay starts his drive. Freeze the screen at 1:18. PG defender doesn't body up Mudiay. Lane is WIDE open for 3'. Hedge defender isn't between him and the basket; soft faint defense. Doesn't power finish when he has wide open lane.
1:35 - Once again, good, not great speed. Average vert. Body control. Dunk on wingspan.
1:41 - Didn't body up rebounder, just used hands and wingspan to steal the ball.
2:17 - WAY smaller defender, not strong, not quick.
2:25 - Help defender is way out of position, Mudiay has wide open lane. Finesse finish.

1st set observation - Mudiay has physical tools to play at the NBA and uses them over smaller, less athletic defenders. He displays excellent body control with ball-handling/hesitations/splitting double teams, but does not maximize vert to finish at the cup. Jump shots for him are wide open and rarely contested. NBA defenses will body up/tighten the gaps, along with additional strength, length, and quickness.

2nd video
0:06 - NBA caliber move baseline. Elite NBA athletes opt to dunk in that situation. Considering McGrady, Kobe, and VC are of similar size, he opts for body control reverse layup. Very good, not elite athleticism.
0:45 - NBA move in transition, good finish with left hand
1:18 - Slow chinese defender actually set a screen on Mudiay's defender.
1:22 - Mudiay in transition. Marbury gives up 4' in the painted area. PG defenders in transition at the NBA level are expected to slow/stop opponents at the FT line or 3pt. line. Too easy.
1:54 - NBA move. Clarkson's move on PnR. Sees switch, uses immediate change of direction before defender sets, attacks basket.

Second video observations - Mudiay once again shows great body control, but does not explode to finish at the basket. He isn't seeing NCAA physicality-type of defense, but uses solid quickness, ball-handling, and wingspan to complete his plays.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 34 of 36
Jump to: