Despite Success Clippers Continue to Play Second Fiddle to Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Two extra home games a year sounds good to me every year.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Still hard to believe Clippers play in LA. They're the most misplaced sports team in this area.

Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Kings, Ducks, SC, UCLA...

even the Raiders and Rams were LA for NFL football.

Clippers...eh
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

that article was right on target. teams like NY Mets, NY Jets, Brooklyn Nets, Chicago White Sox, Angels, Clippers will always, ALWAYS be second fiddle to their respective big brother. not even winning multiple titles would change this fact. fans become fans of a certain team mostly due to passing down from generations, there's no way to convert that, unless you're just a casual fan of the sport, not the team.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject:

The Clippers have all the right pieces to contend for a title now, at least make a long playoff run.. It's hard to gauge after the 1st round win over SA simply because I think SA needs a little more youth and will probably get it next year and be right back in the hunt.

IMO the main issue with the Clips is maturity. Do they have the maturity to win at the highest level, remains to be seen. It takes a lot to win in the NBA, not just skill and athleticism, but mental toughness and maturity. I think they will always be second fiddle to the Lakers simply because of their history and the Clippers organization hasn't been grounded enough over the years to make a significant impact.

I would hate to see them lose in the second round or championship game and then dismantle the team, but that's kind of the culture now in the NBA. If the players and coach don't pull it off, someone's getting canned!
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
The Clippers have all the right pieces to contend for a title now, at least make a long playoff run.. It's hard to gauge after the 1st round win over SA simply because I think SA needs a little more youth and will probably get it next year and be right back in the hunt.

IMO the main issue with the Clips is maturity. Do they have the maturity to win at the highest level, remains to be seen. It takes a lot to win in the NBA, not just skill and athleticism, but mental toughness and maturity. I think they will always be second fiddle to the Lakers simply because of their history and the Clippers organization hasn't been grounded enough over the years to make a significant impact.

I would hate to see them lose in the second round or championship game and then dismantle the team, but that's kind of the culture now in the NBA. If the players and coach don't pull it off, someone's getting canned!

With the clippers that will be difficult to occur since it would mean that Doc River, as the GM, would be firing himself as the coach.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

Angeles won WS the city still belonged to the Dodgers. If the Clippers win the Larry O'Brien the city will still belong to the Lakers.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerBeastmode
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject:

My cousin treasured his Danny Manning jersey for years lol.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
is it me or does steve ballmer annoy the crap out of you. jumping around staples like he won game 7 of the NBA finals...

covering up laker banners
tying clipper balloons on laker statues
printing "we are LA" shirts to try to solidify there presence
using our locker room as an owners lounge....

the clippers didn't build a team they were gifted a team... they didn't start from scratch they won the lottery with what they have on the floor. a part of me feels that they just don't deserve to win.

True. If it wasn't for David Stern the clippers would still be in the lottery and irrelevant
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject:

What is the Clippers' "window" to be contenders? I think they have a 3 season window including this season. CP3 is already 30.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What is the Clippers' "window" to be contenders? I think they have a 3 season window including this season. CP3 is already 30.

Have to account for everything after this season is over. If DJ leaves, I think the window is already closed. What bit players will they get? Barnes is up there in age. JC's contract is up next year, same with Barnes. They don't really have a lot of depth.

You could argue that BG and CP are good enough to contend, even with a band of merry-minimums and YayYay Redick, but that's a tough pill to swallow. If we are presuming they will fill in what's necessary behind those two, I think the window is basically this year. BG is a transcendent talent, but CP3 is not very durable and the West is not getting worse any time soon. If not for a magical shot(s) by Cp3, they would already be out.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Have to account for everything after this season is over. If DJ leaves, I think the window is already closed. What bit players will they get? Barnes is up there in age. JC's contract is up next year, same with Barnes. They don't really have a lot of depth.

You could argue that BG and CP are good enough to contend, even with a band of merry-minimums and YayYay Redick, but that's a tough pill to swallow. If we are presuming they will fill in what's necessary behind those two, I think the window is basically this year. BG is a transcendent talent, but CP3 is not very durable and the West is not getting worse any time soon. If not for a magical shot(s) by Cp3, they would already be out.

I'm assuming DJ stays. They have the MLE next season to get a wing player, and perhaps someone comes now that they see the Clips are a few pieces away.

I think they can have a modest amount of cap space for 2016 to add other pieces. They have 3 spots locked down.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

At least 3 plus

Blake is the key.

He is 26 and he has played very well and will continue to improve.

You also have to factor in the new ownership. The new owner is smart and will make moves to maintain its status.
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

At least 3 plus

Blake is the key.

You also have to factor in the new ownership. The new owner is smart and will make moves to maintain its status.

I agree that Blake is the key. His year to year improvement has been pretty amazing. If they can keep the core (with CP3, DJ and Reddick), they can probably get to the Conference Finals (eventually) LOL.

As far as ownership is concerned, Balmer may be a smart guy, but Doc is the GM...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

At least 3 plus

Blake is the key.

The only move he can make for next season is the MLE. Giving Doc total control was a poor move by the owner.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
laker4life wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

At least 3 plus

Blake is the key.

I agree that Blake is the key. His year to year improvement has been pretty amazing. If they can keep the core (with CP3, DJ and Reddick), they can probably get to the Conference Finals (eventually) LOL.

As far as ownership is concerned, Balmer may be a smart guy, but Doc is the GM...

I think that Balmer will bring in other people to help out.

Grizzles brought in John Hollinger to assist.

Warrior's owners brought in Jerry West, etc.

I would imagine Balmer doing something similar.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Maybe it's a way to make Laker fans feel better about our (bleep) squad. Our team sucks, heeeeeeeeey, the Clippers are still on the back page. YAY US!!!!!
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
laker4life wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

At least 3 plus

Blake is the key.

I agree again. Unlike a certain owner...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Angeles won WS the city still belonged to the Dodgers. If the Clippers win the Larry O'Brien the city will still belong to the Lakers.

True but in Orange County where they play, all I see is Angels colors. Most of the people around here are doggedly loyal fans. There's a healthy distance between the two franchises and it always made sense for me for the Clippers to move out to Anaheim as well. Close enough to LA to be relevant but far enough away that they don't tread on big brother. Then again, the Lakers profile even in the OC is light years ahead of where the Dodgers are so the Clippers might never get to the point the Angels are.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) Steve ballmer
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
laker4life wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
laker4life wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

At least 3 plus

Blake is the key.

Yeah, Jim should just fire Mitch and Ryan West. Or at least bring in someone to "help" those guys since they obviously don't know what they're doing.

Ballmer, by inheriting a fully constructed team, has proven himself a basketball guru.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:

it's not the same. i don't feel any buzz around town during this playoff run. if it was the Lakers, you'd see a ton of car flags on freeways. hell, i see more Anaheim Duck flags than Clipper flags. i take that back, i've yet to see one Clipper flag, and i do commute quite a bit everyday.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
it's not the same. i don't feel any buzz around town during this playoff run. if it was the Lakers, you'd see a ton of car flags on freeways. hell, i see more Anaheim Duck flags than Clipper flags. i take that back, i've yet to see one Clipper flag, and i do commute quite a bit everyday.

Of course. I think it's hilarious when posters worry about losing the city to the Clippers. They're about to go to the WCF with a legit chance at a title and outside Billy Crystal and a handful of bandwagoners nobody cares.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Of course. I think it's hilarious when posters worry about losing the city to the Clippers. They're about to go to the WCF with a legit chance at a title and outside Billy Crystal and a handful of bandwagoners nobody cares.

and most of the those people who "care" are doing it in spite of Lakers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
laker4life wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
laker4life wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

At least 3 plus

Blake is the key.

The only ones among those listed with an actual title?
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I think you spoke to soon about the WCF.

Wow.

I would be surprised if the Clippers recover from this.

The clippers in the 4th quarter played like the Kings in overtime of the 7th game of the WCF.

Crazy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: