Having #2 Pick would be the best position for Lakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Having #2 Pick would be the best position for Lakers

When there's not an overwhelming favorite on who will be the number 1 pick between two players, in this case Okafor/KAT...Picking number 2 would be a sigh of relief. ...

I'm still not sure who I would rather between the two with the #1 pick....Okafor is more polished...but a bad free throw shooter..KAT can shoot free throws and tons of potential. ..But potential is always an iffy iffy thing....I do believe we gonna keep our pick and my gut feeling is telling me Lakers will get either 1 or 2....Am I crazy for hoping we get the 2nd pick?

Whoever picks 1st as a franchise will have a lot of pressure in that the 2nd pick may eventually be the best in the draft alla Kevin Durant/Oden draft....I don't know. ..Maybe I'm over thinking this...Heck, the 8th pick might end up being the best player down the road....

Just wanna see our Lakers back to doing what the Lakers do....Win chips...Good day to you all

Go Lakers!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather have #1. Trust the Lakers to make the right move.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject:

I hope we get 2 or 3 because I want Okafor or russell. Towns is an all around really good player but in the NBA you need to be dominant at at least 1 thing. Usually offensively dominant players are stars and that's why I prefer russell or Okafor because we need a home run.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind mudiay either because the way he moves with the ball says star. He's fun to watch.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

No, dude, OP makes a good point. You're missing out on the relief that the following teams had with the 2nd pick instead of the 1st or 3rd+.

Greenwood instead of Magic/Moncrief
Bowie instead of Olajuwon/Jordan/Chuck
Tisdale instead of Ewing
Gilliam instead of Robinson
Ferry instead of Elliott/Rice
Shawn Bradley instead of Webber/Penny
Van Horn instead of Duncan
Jay Williams instead of Yao
Darko instead of LeBron/Melo/Bosh/Wade
Marvin Williams instead of D-Will/Chris Paul
Beasley instead of Westbrook
Thabeet instead of Griffin/Harden/Tyreke/Steph
Derrick Williams instead of Kyrie
Gilchrist instead of Anthony Davis

I think we should be panicked about having the 2nd pick.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

The advantage is having the #2 pick rather than the #1 ???? Wha ?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

I get what you're trying to say, but it's better to have #1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I razzed him a little, but the scare like he said is the Oden/Durant conundrum. There have been #1s like Bennett, Oden, Kwame, Kenyon, Kandi, Pervis. In a number of those situations including the Oden/Durant draft, people were already asking whether those names should've been considered well before they were taken. Those are the faults of GMs that are dumber than ours. Other drafts like 1989 and 2000 (Perv and Kenyon) were just weak drafts. Mike Miller was the 2000/01 ROY, that's a lousy batch of rookies. In 1989, there were no clear superstars there and players who later became big names were taken low (Hardaway, Kemp, Blaylock, Divac, Uncle Cliffy at 36th).

People knew before draft day that Oden was a big risk, especially for Portland after their decision to draft for size in 84. After Bill Walton, it was like they were incapable of not going for the big F/C with either a top 1 or 2 pick. I love Mychal T, but they took him 1st in 78 without thinking, "Hey, maybe we can draft this Bird dude."

This draft isn't loaded with question marks to the extent that 2000 or 2001 were. Or the last couple, even. The talent among the top 5-6 candidates seems a bit more averaged out than it was even last year, and I think Mitch made the right pick when Randle was still there, which gives me enough confidence to believe that he probably won't screw this one up. IF we land a top 5 pick...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
22 wrote:

I razzed him a little, but the scare like he said is the Oden/Durant conundrum. There have been #1s like Bennett, Oden, Kwame, Kenyon, Kandi, Pervis. In a number of those situations including the Oden/Durant draft, people were already asking whether those names should've been considered well before they were taken. Those are the faults of GMs that are dumber than ours. Other drafts like 1989 and 2000 (Perv and Kenyon) were just weak drafts. Mike Miller was the 2000/01 ROY, that's a lousy batch of rookies. In 1989, there were no clear superstars there and players who later became big names were taken low (Hardaway, Kemp, Blaylock, Divac, Uncle Cliffy at 36th).

People knew before draft day that Oden was a big risk, especially for Portland after their decision to draft for size in 84. After Bill Walton, it was like they were incapable of not going for the big F/C with either a top 1 or 2 pick. I love Mychal T, but they took him 1st in 78 without thinking, "Hey, maybe we can draft this Bird dude."

This draft isn't loaded with question marks to the extent that 2000 or 2001 were. Or the last couple, even. The talent among the top 5-6 candidates seems a bit more averaged out than it was even last year, and I think Mitch made the right pick when Randle was still there, which gives me enough confidence to believe that he probably won't screw this one up. IF we land a top 5 pick...

Yup. I'd bet on our FO's drafting skills. I think they'd make good use of a #1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No, dude, OP makes a good point. You're missing out on the relief that the following teams had with the 2nd pick instead of the 1st or 3rd+.

Greenwood instead of Magic/Moncrief
Bowie instead of Olajuwon/Jordan/Chuck
Tisdale instead of Ewing
Gilliam instead of Robinson
Ferry instead of Elliott/Rice
Shawn Bradley instead of Webber/Penny
Van Horn instead of Duncan
Jay Williams instead of Yao
Darko instead of LeBron/Melo/Bosh/Wade
Marvin Williams instead of D-Will/Chris Paul
Beasley instead of Westbrook
Thabeet instead of Griffin/Harden/Tyreke/Steph
Derrick Williams instead of Kyrie
Gilchrist instead of Anthony Davis

I think we should be panicked about having the 2nd pick.

Love the sarcasm lol...But I'm guessing you didn't read the part when I said if "THERE'S NOT AN OVERWHELMING" favorite at who would be the #1 Pick....

Wondering why you didn't add Olawakandi/Dirk Nowitzki/ Paul Perce
Wondering why you didn't add Anthony Bennet/ victor Oladip/ Michael Carter Williams
wondering why you didn't add Joe/ Smith/ Stackhouse/Wallace/ Garnett to the list

You just basically listed majority of overwhelming number 1 no brainers for the majority of those drafts....

Good try with the sarcastic analogy, but....Wasn't quite as successful as you wanted it to be....

Better luck next time
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

It's pretty obvious to me that Towns is the #1 guy.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject:

If we get #2 we are sure to get Towns, Okafor or Winslow.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind Towns, Russell or either Mudaiy
not a fan of Okafor
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject:

LakeShowSince84 wrote:

You just basically listed majority of overwhelming number 1 no brainers for the majority of those drafts....

Good try with the sarcastic analogy, but....Wasn't quite as successful as you wanted it to be....

Better luck next time

I was just joking, OP. No offense.

You got your wish. We'll see what up.
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:

Better luck next time

LOL! No problemo! Was just about to write......"I CALLED IT"!!!

Time to get back to chips!!! Go Lakers!!!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject:

LakeShowSince84 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:

Better luck next time

LOL! No problemo! Was just about to write......"I CALLED IT"!!!

Time to get back to chips!!! Go Lakers!!!

Well, now what are yer early leanings now that we know 2nd is set in stone? Towns or Oak and why?
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather have Russell over either big.

The league is now driven by guard play, bigs are expendables.
Lakers don't historically draft star bigs in the lottery, they acquire them via free agency or trade.
(I don't consider Bynum a star, he was a contributor to our championship runs but his glass knees and lack of proper work ethic doomed him from the start).

Pick the player with the highest ceiling not fit on the team.
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject:

honestly, I think win-win with Okafor or Towns....I'm not shying away from Russell too much. But my gut feeling (as if that has credit lol) indicates that you go with the best two talent, which IMO are the two bigs. I wouldn't try to get too cute with the pick and draft a guard, knowing that the two bigs were/are two can't miss. Heck, in the middle of the season (NCAA), Okafor was a sure lock for #1 pick, until the emergence of Towns. Go with Okafor or Towns, simple as that
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:

Lakers don't historically draft star bigs in the lottery, they acquire them via free agency or trade.
(I don't consider Bynum a star, he was a contributor to our championship runs but his glass knees and lack of proper work ethic doomed him from the start).

But the current NBA has slim to zero pickings as far as dominant big men...I say obtain the bigs however we may get them.. Plus, it's usually 7 years until good free agents go on the market... Logically, ...let's say Towns or Okafor get drafted elsewhere and become dominant bigs....So now we're gonna wait 7 years to HOPE at a chance of signing them?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject:

LakeShowSince84 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

But the current NBA has slim to zero pickings as far as dominant big men...I say obtain the bigs however we may get them.. Plus, it's usually 7 years until good free agents go on the market... Logically, ...let's say Towns or Okafor get drafted elsewhere and become dominant bigs....So now we're gonna wait 7 years to HOPE at a chance of signing them?

Same. I don't see LA skip on whatever bigman is there. No way, Jose. They're too hard to obtain on the FA market or in trades and god knows they ain't cheap even when you can snag one. Poster/pal Birmingham tells me he doesn't like Okafor's defensive outlook. I agree he's not where Towns is, but I'd still wager one of my pink kidneys (non-smoker/drinker) that they don't think outside of the box after getting this refreshing bit of good fortune. Guards and forwards can be found. If you were to tell me 3 yrs ago that we were gonna have the 2nd and 7th picks and we could fill any two positions with them, I would've told you that I hope for a PF and a C. If Jahlil isn't everything you want as a defensive player, we can look to fill that bill elsewhere. I joked with you (WITH YOU, WITH YOU!!!, bro) above about the Oden-Bowie concerns, but this ain't that kinda deal. Either of the two are more than suitable to take with that pick. Anyone complaining about passing Russell is being a jive turkey. The backlash over passing up a potential star center (either of em) would be way too fierce.

Frankly, if our likelier option was Sam Bowie with no tibia issues, I'd take him with that 2nd pick and sleep well. The problem with him was the injuries, not his talent. He was good for us as a replacement for Vladimir/Elden at the end of his career. Okafor is probably further along offensively than Sam was at that point. Of course, Sam was a shot blocker, but all that's neither here nor there, I just wanted to hammer home the point that this is all relative. That 2nd pick is gonna be made for us by Minnesota and it's gonna be a big boy.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Same. I don't see LA skip on whatever bigman is there. No way, Jose. They're too hard to obtain on the FA market or in trades and god knows they ain't cheap even when you can snag one. Poster/pal Birmingham tells me he doesn't like Okafor's defensive outlook. I agree he's not where Towns is, but I'd still wager one of my pink kidneys (non-smoker/drinker) that they don't think outside of the box after getting this refreshing bit of good fortune. Guards and forwards can be found. If you were to tell me 3 yrs ago that we were gonna have the 2nd and 7th picks and we could fill any two positions with them, I would've told you that I hope for a PF and a C. If Jahlil isn't everything you want as a defensive player, we can look to fill that bill elsewhere. I joked with you (WITH YOU, WITH YOU!!!, bro) above about the Oden-Bowie concerns, but this ain't that kinda deal. Either of the two are more than suitable to take with that pick. Anyone complaining about passing Russell is being a jive turkey. The backlash over passing up a potential star center (either of em) would be way too fierce.

Frankly, if our likelier option was Sam Bowie with no tibia issues, I'd take him with that 2nd pick and sleep well. The problem with him was the injuries, not his talent. He was good for us as a replacement for Vladimir/Elden at the end of his career. Okafor is probably further along offensively than Sam was at that point. Of course, Sam was a shot blocker, but all that's neither here nor there, I just wanted to hammer home the point that this is all relative. That 2nd pick is gonna be made for us by Minnesota and it's gonna be a big boy.

This year the market for bigs is MUCH better than it is elsewhere. DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Brook Lopez, Al Jefferson, Tyson Chandler, Roy Hibbert, Robin Lopez, Omer Asik...and then PFs like Lamarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, & Paul Millsap.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
This year the market for bigs is MUCH better than it is elsewhere. DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Brook Lopez, Al Jefferson, Tyson Chandler, Roy Hibbert, Robin Lopez, Omer Asik...and then PFs like Lamarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, & Paul Millsap.

and which one of them comes for 4 mil for 4 years ?
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

and which one of them comes for 4 mil for 4 years ?

On the flip side what star perimeter player is going to come for 4 mil for 4 years? I'd argue that all the best big men in the league right now are sitting at home just like us.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

I admit, I have seen the error of my ways and I repent.

I still like Russell, he's a baller and may end up eventually being the best player overall in this draft several years down the line, but that polished footwork & post moves along with the understanding of the game he has have convinced me that Okafor is the guy to draft @ no.2. You can't teach someone to move on the court the way he does, but defense and a better shooting stroke (not that he has terrible mechanics to begin with) can come with time and practice. Towns may be the best overall prospect in this draft, but I'm not completely enamored by the often raved about shooting form and his lack of maturity.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject:

I'll agree with the OP, you save some money and have less worry on the pick, as long as neither of them turn into a Bynum or Greg Oden...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: