*** SPOILER ZONE ***Official Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire discussion thread (for BOOK readers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject:

The Sansa rape. Gripping but I felt an unnecessary change.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
The Sansa sexual assault. Gripping but I felt an unnecessary change.

Yeah, and it was the second time too because it happened with Jaime and Cersei about a season ago. Some feminists/book readers were outraged again on twitter, and I can't say I blame them. I will 99% of the time favor the depth of storytelling in the book over the changes in the show, but that's mainly because I love the books so much. The show is still good even though they are changing a lot now, but I don't like how Jorah got greyscale either.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Yeah, and it was the second time too because it happened with Jaime and Cersei about a season ago. Some feminists/book readers were outraged again on twitter, and I can't say I blame them. I will 99% of the time favor the depth of storytelling in the book over the changes in the show, but that's mainly because I love the books so much. The show is still good even though they are changing a lot now, but I don't like how Jorah got greyscale either.

I'm guessing they're merging Jon Connington with Jorah?

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject:

When is Theon going to tell Sansa that he didn't kill her brothers?
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Yep. And I understand it from the showrunners' perspective. There isn't enough screen time for hundreds of characters. Still don't like it because I like Jorah. And it gives the people who say the show kills off anybody who is a decent person more ammunition. The showrunners like to make the show even more dark than the books. Red Wedding with Rob's pregnant wife getting stabbed in the stomach, the two rapes, etc etc.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:

Probably when they make a run for it after Stannis arrives.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

It's bugging me because he has had a couple opportunities.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

It's bugging me because he has had a couple opportunities.

He needs to return to his normal self first. He's no longer Theon, he's Reek...completely broken at this point.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
rwongega wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Yep. And I understand it from the showrunners' perspective. There isn't enough screen time for hundreds of characters. Still don't like it because I like Jorah. And it gives the people who say the show kills off anybody who is a decent person more ammunition. The showrunners like to make the show even more dark than the books. Red Wedding with Rob's pregnant wife getting stabbed in the stomach, the two sexual assaults, etc etc.

What happened to Sansa on the show is not worse than what happened in the books to Jeyne Poole in the same part.

About the show's version, I find merit in the argument that Sansa's rape was made to be about Theon unjustifiably and not about Sansa herself, i.e. Sansa is a device only to affect Theon's change. However, how is what happened to Theon so ignored? He was castrated. I was wondering why they spent so much time on Ramsay and Theon for so many episodes, and indulged in his torture. Also we don't know what happens to Sansa after this, and so don't know how this plays out for her.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
rwongega wrote:

I was angry because the show's folks didn't seem to get that it was a rape with Jamie and Cersei in their comments afterward. Utterly stupid. And they inserted it into the story when the books never had it, plus it changed Cersei's trend of becoming the queen finally and revelling in her increasing power.

This one happened in the book, though to Jeyne Poole and there is no Jeyne, as you know. There must be a Theon redemption thng coming in the show, and in the books too. Otherwise why spend so much time with Ramsay and Theon.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Ok, that was a good episode.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Christ that was badass.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject:

10/10 episode .... those Walkers yikes ... Tyrion & Dany teaming up ... Reek finally spills the beans.

It's basically 1000% certain the Dragons will be huge factors in this war since the dead if not burned will turn into Walkers.

Since we haven't seen Bran at all, he must be training and honing his powers of vision. So I'm thinking he's going to take over one of those dragons later on.

The Walker leaders were like the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse perched up high.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

They wanted to bring Sansa to Winterfell. The alternative may have been not to use her at all, like Bran, since she's basically just hanging out in the Eyrie at this point. Nothing interesting from a show perspective.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
rwongega wrote:

They wanted to bring Sansa to Winterfell. The alternative may have been not to use her at all, like Bran, since she's basically just hanging out in the Eyrie at this point. Nothing interesting from a show perspective.

Didn't really like the Sansa TV character anyways so it would've been fine to put focus elsewhere.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
10/10 episode .... those Walkers yikes ... Tyrion & Dany teaming up ... Reek finally spills the beans.

It's basically 1000% certain the Dragons will be huge factors in this war since the dead if not burned will turn into Walkers.

Since we haven't seen Bran at all, he must be training and honing his powers of vision. So I'm thinking he's going to take over one of those dragons later on.

The Walker leaders were like the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse perched up high.

Duh. At least, it should be a big "Duh." If GRRM does something different, I'll be shocked.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I think the show is so heavily hinting at Olly being the character doing the "for the watch" moment that they might swerve us and do something else. People who don't read the books and saw that scene with Olly and Sam think it will have bad repercussions.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
I think the show is so heavily hinting at Olly being the character doing the "for the watch" moment that they might swerve us and do something else. People who don't read the books and saw that scene with Olly and Sam think it will have bad repercussions.

People watching the show are going to be pissed if the showrunners stay with the book plot and stab Jon, and even more so if they make that the last scene of the season. It's kind of (bleep)ed up that GRRM left that big of a cliffhanger going on 4 years now. We didn't see any reactions or consequences, no closure, don't even know if he's dead. Hopefully the show will answer that question, although we are on two different timelines anyway.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

People watching the show are going to be pissed if the showrunners stay with the book plot and stab Jon, and even more so if they make that the last scene of the season. It's kind of (bleep)ed up that GRRM left that big of a cliffhanger going on 4 years now. We didn't see any reactions or consequences, no closure, don't even know if he's dead. Hopefully the show will answer that question, although we are on two different timelines anyway.

I was thinking it would be the last scene of the season. With all the talk of GRRM rushing to get the book out next year, I believed a lot of that was so he could reveal Jon's fate and not the show. It would be a minor victory for him since there's no way he'll finish the books before the show is over.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

I was thinking it would be the last scene of the season. With all the talk of GRRM rushing to get the book out next year, I believed a lot of that was so he could reveal Jon's fate and not the show. It would be a minor victory for him since there's no way he'll finish the books before the show is over.

I think Ollie is already being set up to be the guy to shank him.

*edit* Didn't see your original post Vishnu. Agreed. I hope not though.

Although if Jon doesn't die from the stabbing in the books, the showrunners may choose to omit it altogether.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Didn't really like the Sansa TV character anyways so it would've been fine to put focus elsewhere.

Eh, she's the same as book Sansa. Just as naive with a story arc that dragged just the same.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Yet another departure from the books solely meant to create shock value.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

Saw it coming though. The "touching" scene earlier with the 2 of them set it up. It looks like a lot of people are upset judging by twitter. If FTW happens next week, I half expect people to take pitchforks to the showrunners' homes.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

Another example of the showrunners' weird desire to make the show more brutal than the books.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Another example of the showrunners' weird desire to make the show more brutal than the books.

Even odder is that it's GRRM's decision. Probably GRRM thought he wasn't going to let the showrunners keep one-upping him on the brutality factor and struck first.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17
Jump to: