Another investigation into Patriots cheating (Judge overturns Brady suspension, pg.18)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject:

I can't believe people are excusing Brady on this. It is ludicrous to think he wasn't instructing the employees to do it, common sense must prevail.

I think he should have got a whole year suspension and I would have stripped the Pats of the next 3 #1's and a $5 million fine.

If a sport loses integrity, it is a very slippery slope from there and cheating to this extent is a major loss of integrity.

Playing professional sports is a privilege, not a a right and I feel Brady went way over the line here.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12913741/robert-kraft-says-new-england-patriots-appeal-deflategate-punishment

Huff and puff and nothing.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Grind wrote:
The Patriots cheated. 13 out of 14 balls deflated. Maybe it didn't give them a substantially remarkable advantage, but that is irrelevant. They still committed an infraction that goes agains the integrity of the game and tarnishes its image. I don't know why people think the Patriots should be above the league and not pay the price. Add to the fact that they have a substantial track record of classlessness and cheating allegations (*asterisks or whatever you want to call them), I actually think the commissioner came down light on them. 4 games is a slap on the wrist. And then to hear Brady's daddy and agent come out with the "Sting Op" bull (bleep), what a joke. Just take your suspension and shut up. I for one am tired of the Patriots thinking they can bend the rules and not be called out for it. I expected more, 4 games is nothing.

So why have they been called out on this rule violation but other teams haven't? It has to be a bias against the Pats, especially when you get a Packer QB along with several other ex-NFL QBs publicly saying they do the same thing.

For over-inflating balls.

It's a big difference between under-inflating and over-inflating balls.
One gives the teams an unfair advantage; the other is QB's preference.
How? ball security.

Brady prefers his ball under-inflated b/c 'small hands' *Pause*
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Grind wrote:
The Patriots cheated. 13 out of 14 balls deflated. Maybe it didn't give them a substantially remarkable advantage, but that is irrelevant. They still committed an infraction that goes agains the integrity of the game and tarnishes its image. I don't know why people think the Patriots should be above the league and not pay the price. Add to the fact that they have a substantial track record of classlessness and cheating allegations (*asterisks or whatever you want to call them), I actually think the commissioner came down light on them. 4 games is a slap on the wrist. And then to hear Brady's daddy and agent come out with the "Sting Op" bull (bleep), what a joke. Just take your suspension and shut up. I for one am tired of the Patriots thinking they can bend the rules and not be called out for it. I expected more, 4 games is nothing.

So why have they been called out on this rule violation but other teams haven't? It has to be a bias against the Pats, especially when you get a Packer QB along with several other ex-NFL QBs publicly saying they do the same thing.

For over-inflating balls.

It's a big difference between under-inflating and over-inflating balls.
One gives the teams an unfair advantage; the other is QB's preference.
How? ball security.

Brady prefers his ball under-inflated b/c 'small hands' *Pause*

Weak, inductive reasoning.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject:

If somebody hurt Brady, I wouldn't shed a tear.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/23/free-tom-brady-rally-set-for-sunday-in-massachusetts/

Quote:
“Free Tom Brady” rally set for Sunday outside Gillette Stadium

Those aggrieved by Tom Brady’s four-game suspension are invited to a rally at a parking lot outside of Gillette Stadium on Sunday, per an announcement on Facebook.

The “Free Tom Brady rally” will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Eastern on Sunday and will “protest the unjust football arrest of half God half man Tom Brady.”

There is no indication the team has any connection to the rally.

The gathering, according to the announcement, will be “peaceful.”

As of this writing, 375 fans had indicated on Facebook that they would be attending.

One fan wrote: “Can’t be there but best wishes from England!”
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/23/free-tom-brady-rally-set-for-sunday-in-massachusetts/

Quote:
“Free Tom Brady” rally set for Sunday outside Gillette Stadium

Those aggrieved by Tom Brady’s four-game suspension are invited to a rally at a parking lot outside of Gillette Stadium on Sunday, per an announcement on Facebook.

The “Free Tom Brady rally” will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Eastern on Sunday and will “protest the unjust football arrest of half God half man Tom Brady.”

There is no indication the team has any connection to the rally.

The gathering, according to the announcement, will be “peaceful.”

As of this writing, 375 fans had indicated on Facebook that they would be attending.

One fan wrote: “Can’t be there but best wishes from England!”

ROFL

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Bill Belichick never believed Tom Brady's Deflategate story:

Quote:
It has been well over two weeks since independent investigator Ted Wells released his 243-page Deflategate report and in that time, one Deflategate-related figure has remained noticeably silent: Bill Belichick.

In the 17 days since the report was released on May 6, Belichick hasn't said anything publicly to anyone about the matter.

The Patriots coach didn't even offer a reaction on May 11 when he found out that his star quarterback was going to be suspended for the first four games of the 2015 season.

Belichick could have said something like, "We can win with Jimmy Garoppolo" and that would have been that. Instead, Belichick hasn't said anything, which leads to one question: Why has he been so quiet?

According to Ron Borges of the Boston Herald, Belichick has stayed silent because Belichick never believed Tom Brady's Deflategate story, meaning it would be almost impossible for the Patriots coach to defend his star quarterback.

"Belichick never believed [Brady's] story, from what I was told," Borges said during an interview this week on CSN New England's Sports Tonight. "Because they all know."

If Belichick never believed Brady, that would offer at least one explanation as to why Patriots owner Robert Kraft surprisingly decided to accept the NFL's deflategate punishments on May 19. The Patriots were docked two draft picks and fined $1 million.

Cheaters Accept Punishment
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Again I say all teams cheat, the Pats just got caught.

Troy Aikman said all QB's tell equipment managers how they want their footballs. Brady should have just fessed up and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm not a Patriot fan but I hope they win the SB next year because of the NFL's hypocrisy.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject:

^^^The Pats got their gift with Pete Carroll's brain fart, so I hope they don't get in the Super Bowl, hopefully an early playoff exit or miss them entirely.

I'd agree some teams cheat - but when they get caught, they take their medicine, modify their program, and move on.

I think the Deflategate ruling, and the rule changes regarding formations and receiver eligibility are making the Pats more aware of how they are perceived by the league, and they need to get in line and play by the rules, win fair and square.

And other teams, if they were playing with the PSI (outside of NFL parameters) will also get in line. My guess is most teams that did adjust footballs, stayed within the guidelines. The Pats didn't they wanted an edge and were willing to play outside the rules, thinking they wouldn't get caught.

I would like a pay per view event, where Tom Brady has 5 minutes to eat five pounds of pumpkin Puree (whatever he doesn't eat, goes down his shirt and pants) then run 5 wind sprints, the length of the field. I'd pay money to see that!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/29/brady-appeal-hearing-set-for-june-23/

Quote:
Brady appeal hearing set for June 23

The deadline for setting Tom Brady’s appeal hearing came and went on Wednesday without a date being set. A date has now been set.

PFT has confirmed that the appeal hearing will commence on June 23, and that it will continue if necessary on June 25. The news was first reported by Adam Schefter of ESPN.

On Thursday, a source with knowledge of the situation told PFT that the NFL and NFL Players Association had agreed to extend the Wednesday deadline, and that the NFL had offered a pair of dates that weren’t ideal for the union. The NFLPA had responded with a pair of weeks that worked, and the NFLPA was waiting for the league to respond.

Brady and the NFLPA wanted the hearing to be conducted in June, in order to ensure that sufficient time will be available to go to court and challenge the outcome of the internal appeal process.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/20/brady-eventually-could-serve-his-suspension-in-2016/

Quote:
Brady eventually could serve his suspension in 2016

The appeal hearing for Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s four-game suspension begins this week. It presumably will end this week, either on Tuesday the 23rd or Thursday the 25th. But the conclusion of the hearing will represent the beginning of a broader effort to get a final decision on Brady’s status before Thursday, September 10, when the Patriots host the Steelers to start the season.

Article 46 of the labor deal requires a decision on Brady’s appeal to be issued “as soon as practicable” after the hearing ends. For Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy, “as soon as practicable” has translated to a delay of 23 days and counting. For Brady, whose appeal is being handled personally by Commissioner Roger Goodell, it’s unclear how long it will be until a decision is issued.

If Goodell does anything other than wipe the suspension off the books entirely, Brady and the NFL Players Association presumably will fight the outcome in court, challenging the outcome of the arbitration under a very high legal standard that will make it difficult but not impossible for Brady to prevail.

But what if Goodell takes a month to issue a decision and the court in which the legal attack is pursueddoesn’t move quickly enough to resolve the case by September 10? At some point, Brady will have to decide whether to make a StarCaps-style effort to delay the implementation of the suspension until the case ends.

A successful effort to suspend the suspension could in theory result in Brady missing games not at the start of the season, but in November or December.

Once the hearing ends, Brady and the Patriots will have to plan for the possibility that a final ruling from court won’t come before September 10. Ultimately, there’s a chance Brady will be available for Week One and beyond, but eventually not available for a chunk of the season later in the calendar.

The Patriots may not prefer that outcome, which could prompt the team to advise Brady to miss the games while continuing the fight for exoneration. But Brady surely won’t be wired to stand down, putting the Patriots in the position of having to have Jimmy Garoppolo ready to go at any given moment once the season begins.

There’s also a chance Brady won’t miss any games this year. If the lower court rules against him and he persuades an appeals court to continue to prevent the NFL from suspending him until the case is final, Brady eventually would miss games not in 2015 but in 2016.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:

Washington Post: As Brady Appeal Nears, Roger Goodell is stuck in a corner of his own creation

Quote:
Tom Brady is said to be seeking total exoneration, and it appears he’s entitled to it. The idea that Brady and the New England Patriots intentionally deflated footballs for a competitive advantage has been discredited by everyone from sidewalk chemists to Web physicists to unlicensed ceramicists, not to mention your own common sense. But most importantly, it is utterly shredded in a new scientific analysis by the American Enterprise Institute, which shows the only inflation problem is in NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s head.

The NFL paid millions for a fundamentally flawed report by lawyer Ted Wells that made Brady and the Patriots out to be slam-dunk guilty, based on more than 100 pages of mathematical analysis of ball pressurization . . . that turns out to be erroneous. The AEI’s report totally rejects the finding that the footballs used by the Patriots in the AFC championship game had a significant drop in air pressure compared with those used by the Colts. But the truly damning sentence is this one, buried in its erudite phrasings and equations: “The Wells report’s statistical analysis cannot be replicated by performing the analysis as described in the report,” the AEI concludes.

Basically, the math didn’t add up. It’s a standard principle in science: If you can’t replicate a set of results, then there is a problem with it. A flaw or a fraud is at work. Either you made a mistake, or you made it up.

Rest of story at link.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject:

I wish I had 44K in disposable income...

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/13277587/football-afc-championship-game-sold-nearly-44k-auction

Quote:
Football from AFC Championship Game sold for nearly $44K in auction

The only ball from this year's AFC Championship Game known to have made its way into the public domain sold Saturday morning for $43,740, one of the highest prices ever paid for a football.

Auction house Lelands.com sold the ball from the now famous "Deflategate" game on behalf of Laura Nichols, who was given the ball by New England Patriots wide receiver Brandon LaFell in the third quarter after his teammate LeGarrette Blount scored a touchdown.

Lelands.com auctioned a football used in the AFC Championship Game. Courtesy Lelands.com
Although the balls were reinflated to the proper levels for the second half, a report from attorney Ted Wells, commissioned by the NFL, said that they were in fact the same balls used during the first half.

So while it's unclear exactly how much that particular ball was used in the first half, it was in the rotation of deflated Patriots footballs. The Wells report cited the testing of four balls after the game.

The sale of the ball comes on the six-month anniversary of New England's 45-7 victory over the Indianapolis Colts.

Lelands.com chairman Joshua Evans said last month, when the item went on sale, that he could see it selling for more than $100,000. That didn't happen, but the final price still could be a record.

In August last year, a ball used in the most lopsided game in college football history (Georgia Tech beat Cumberland College 222-0 in 1916) was sold for $40,388.

Even $20,000 for a game-used football is rare. A football used in 1958 NFL championship game sold for $16,730 in February, and a game-used ball from Super Bowl XXXVI, signed by Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, sold for $4,915 in December.

In May, the league docked the Patriots two draft picks and fined the team $1 million for its role in Deflategate. Brady also was suspended four games, but he appealed the penalty to commissioner Roger Goodell. Brady and the NFL Players Association intend to take the case to federal court if the league doesn't eliminate his suspension, according to reports.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

NFL upholds Tom Brady's four-game 'Deflategate' suspension

Quote:
(CNN)The National Football League has upheld a four-game suspension of New England Patriots star quarterback Tom Brady for his role in the football tampering scandal known as "Deflateglate," the league announced in a news release Tuesday.

Commissioner Roger Goodell, in affirming the suspension he handed down in May, said new information about the destruction of Brady's cell phone showed the four-time Super Bowl champion "sought to hide evidence of his own participation in the underlying scheme to alter the footballs."

The destruction of the cell phone wasn't disclosed until June 18, almost four months after investigators had requested electronic information from Brady.

CNN
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/28/nflpa-calls-brady-decision-outrageous/

Quote:
NFLPA calls Brady decision “outrageous”

In response to the decision upholding his four-game suspension, Tom Brady has spoken. Through his agent.

Brady also has spoken, sort of, through his union.

“The Commissioner’s ruling today did nothing to address the legal deficiencies of due process,” the NFL Players Association said in a statement. “The NFL remains stuck with the following facts.”

The statement then lists the following facts, with bullet points: (1) the NFL “had no policy that applied to players”; (2) the NFL “provided no notice of any such policy or potential discipline to players”; (3) the NFL “resorted to a nebulous standard of ‘general awareness’ to predicate a legally unjustified punishment; (4) the NFL “had no procedures in place until two days ago to test air pressure in footballs”; and (5) the NFL “violated the plain meaning” of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

“The fact that the NFL would resort to basing a suspension on a smoke screen of irrelevant text messages instead of admitting that they have all of the phone records they asked for is a new low, even for them, but it does nothing to correct their errors,” the statement asserts. “The NFLPA will appeal this outrageous decision on behalf of Tom Brady.”

The points raised in the statement surely will be reflected in the forthcoming legal documents from the NFLPA, which surely will not focus on Brady’s admission that he destroyed his cell phone on the same day he was due to meet with Ted Wells but on the overall flaws in the process.

But here’s the thing. If those are the arguments the NFLPA had previously planned to make on Brady’s behalf, why did he even testify at the appeal hearing? The points raised above could have been established via stipulation or other evidence. Having Brady admit that he destroyed the phone interjected an issue that will hamper Brady in the court of public opinion — and that could prompt a judge to conclude at a visceral level that justice requires upholding the suspension.

Although the destruction of the phone may not be relevant to any of the issues raised in the litigation challenging the suspension, skilled judges can find a way to get to whichever conclusion they believe is justified, even if the motivation to arrive at that destination comes from facts technically irrelevant to the specific issues presented in a given case.

In other words, if the presiding judge (whoever it ends up being) believes Brady’s hands are dirty, the judge will likely be able to find a way to rule accordingly, even if the written decision never mentions the destruction of the cell phone.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/28/patriots-extremely-disappointed-in-goodells-brady-decision/

Quote:
Patriots: “Extremely disappointed” in Goodell’s Brady decision

Patriots owner Robert Kraft effectively threw up his hands in regards to the team penalties which stemmed from #DeflateGate.

But that doesn’t mean they’re going along quietly with the four-game suspension of quarterback Tom Brady, issuing a strongly worded statement regarding commissioner Roger Goodell’s refusal to overturn his own sentence, basically saying the league is assassinating Brady’s character.

“We are extremely disappointed in today’s ruling by Commissioner Goodell,” the team statement read. “We cannot comprehend the league’s position in this matter. Most would agree that the penalties levied originally were excessive and unprecedented, especially in light of the fact that the league has no hard evidence of wrongdoing. We continue to unequivocally believe in and support Tom Brady. We also believe that the laws of science continue to underscore the folly of this entire ordeal.

“Given all of this, it is incomprehensible as to why the league is attempting to destroy the reputation of one of its greatest players and representatives.”

Brady already has the NFLPA eager to fight on his behalf, and Kraft took the position of a good company man when he yielded to the league’s $1 million fine and loss of first- and fourth-round draft picks. Based on today’s statement, you wonder if he’d be so willing again.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Brady, NFLPA likely to come up short in federal court challenge

Quote:
New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, the National Football League Players Association and their lawyers say they will ask a federal judge for an injunction that will prevent the NFL from enforcing the four-game suspension that commissioner Roger Goodell confirmed Tuesday in a detailed decision. Brady's threat of litigation and Goodell's decision raise questions about a court's role in a collectively-bargained arbitration process:

Question: Will Brady succeed in court and stop the NFL from suspending him for four games?

Answer: No, Brady will not succeed. Although he enjoys top-of-the-line legal representation and his lawyers will file a brilliantly written lawsuit, his effort to stop the suspension is doomed. There are two reasons why: First, federal judges are reluctant to reconsider the rulings of arbitrators; second, Goodell produced a decision on Brady that is brilliantly reasoned, meticulously detailed, and well-written. Goodell's recitation of the evidence of the tampering with game balls is powerful, and his description of Brady's attempt at a cover-up is persuasive.

ESPN
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/28/nfl-offered-brady-at-least-50-percent-reduction-in-exchange-for-admission-of-guilt/

Quote:
NFL offered Brady “at least 50 percent” reduction in exchange for admission of guilt

Before Roger Goodell the Arbitrator upheld Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s four game suspension, Roger Goodell the Commissioner offered to make a deal with Brady.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL was willing to drop the suspension by “at least 50 percent” if Brady: (1) admitted to having knowledge of whatever John Jastremski and Jim McNally were doing to the footballs; (2) admitted to failing to cooperate with the Ted Wells investigation; and (3) apologized.

It’s believed that Brady’s suspension would have been dropped at least to two games, with the possibility of dropping it to one if he were sufficiently persuasive and profuse in his acceptance of guilt.

Although Goodell has ruled, settlement talks can continue because the litigation is just getting started. And if Brady were inclined to cry “uncle,” he could get the suspension reduced by two (or maybe three) games.

Unless the federal judge who ultimately handles the case tells Brady that he’ll definitely lose in court if he doesn’t take the deal, Brady likely won’t be settling. Even then, he may prefer not accepting responsibility and sitting out four games to confessing and cutting it in half.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject:

Robert Kraft tees off on Goodell and the league office:

Link

Wow. Another quote not in the article:

Quote:
"Tom Brady is a person of great integrity ... Yet for reasons I cannot comprehend, there are those in the league office who are more determined to prove that they were right rather than admit any culpability of their own or take any responsibility through the initiation of a process and ensuing investigation that was flawed."

This is not good for Roger Goodell.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject:

I don't know if this has been mentioned. I claim a LuxuryBrown, haven't read all the posts.

League claims Tom was uncooperative, broke his cell phone. Have any considered he may have broken the phone because he had some selfies with Gisele he didn't want the world to see?

I'm not versed on retrieval but I don't think images and messages just go off into cyber space. I think they can be retrieved.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:

It depends on whether any of the images were stored in the cloud or sent to someone else. If they were just on his phone, then yeah, they can be lost.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It depends on whether any of the images were stored in the cloud or sent to someone else. If they were just on his phone, then yeah, they can be lost.

Think maybe he had some compromising selfies with Gisele he didn't want the world to see was the reason he broke his phone?

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

Tom Brady statement from his facebook page:

Quote:
I am very disappointed by the NFL’s decision to uphold the 4 game suspension against me. I did nothing wrong, and no one in the Patriots organization did either.

Despite submitting to hours of testimony over the past 6 months, it is disappointing that the Commissioner upheld my suspension based upon a standard that it was “probable” that I was “generally aware” of misconduct. The fact is that neither I, nor any equipment person, did anything of which we have been accused. He dismissed my hours of testimony and it is disappointing that he found it unreliable.

I also disagree with yesterdays narrative surrounding my cellphone. I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances. As a member of a union, I was under no obligation to set a new precedent going forward, nor was I made aware at any time during Mr. Wells investigation, that failing to subject my cell phone to investigation would result in ANY discipline.

Most importantly, I have never written, texted, emailed to anybody at anytime, anything related to football air pressure before this issue was raised at the AFC Championship game in January. To suggest that I destroyed a phone to avoid giving the NFL information it requested is completely wrong.

To try and reconcile the record and fully cooperate with the investigation after I was disciplined in May, we turned over detailed pages of cell phone records and all of the emails that Mr. Wells requested. We even contacted the phone company to see if there was any possible way we could retrieve any/all of the actual text messages from my old phone. In short, we exhausted every possibility to give the NFL everything we could and offered to go thru the identity for every text and phone call during the relevant time. Regardless, the NFL knows that Mr. Wells already had ALL relevant communications with Patriots personnel that either Mr. Wells saw or that I was questioned about in my appeal hearing. There is no “smoking gun” and this controversy is manufactured to distract from the fact they have zero evidence of wrongdoing.

I authorized the NFLPA to make a settlement offer to the NFL so that we could avoid going to court and put this inconsequential issue behind us as we move forward into this season. The discipline was upheld without any counter offer. I respect the Commissioners authority, but he also has to respect the CBA and my rights as a private citizen. I will not allow my unfair discipline to become a precedent for other NFL players without a fight.

Lastly, I am overwhelmed and humbled by the support of family, friends and our fans who have supported me since the false accusations were made after the AFC Championship game. I look forward to the opportunity to resume playing with my teammates and winning more games for the New England Patriots.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

Complete text of Kraft statement at press conference:

Quote:
I felt it was important to make a statement today, prior to the start of training camp. After this, I will not be talking about this matter until after the legal process plays itself out, and I would advise everyone in the organization to do the same and just concentrate on preparation for the 2015 season.

The decision handed down by the league yesterday is unfathomable to me. It is routine for discipline in the NFL to be reduced upon appeal. In the vast majority of these cases, there is tangible and hard evidence of the infraction for which the discipline is being imposed, and still the initial penalty gets reduced. Six months removed from the AFC championship game, the league still has no hard evidence of anybody doing anything to tamper with the PSI levels of footballs.

I continue to believe and unequivocally support Tom Brady. I first and foremost need to apologize to our fans, because I truly believe what I did in May, given the actual evidence of the situation and the league’s history on discipline matters, would make it much easier for the league to exonerate Tom Brady.

Unfortunately, I was wrong.

The league’s handling of this entire process has been extremely frustrating and disconcerting. I will never understand why an initial erroneous report regarding the PSI level of footballs was leaked by a source from the NFL a few days after the AFC championship game, [and] was never corrected by those who had the correct information. For four months, that report cast aspersions and shaped public opinion.

Yesterday’s decision by Commissioner was released in a similar manner, under an erroneous headline that read, “Tom Brady destroyed his cellphone.” This headline was designed to capture headlines across the country and obscure evidence regarding the tampering of air pressure in footballs. It intentionally implied nefarious behavior and minimized the acknowledgement that Tom provided the history of every number he texted during that relevant time frame. And we had already provided the league with every cellphone of every non-NFLPA that they requested, including head coach Bill Belichick.

Tom Brady is a person of great integrity, and is a great ambassador of the game, both on and off the field. Yet for reasons that I cannot comprehend, there are those in the league office who are more determined to prove that they were right rather than admit any culpability of their own or take any responsibility for the initiation of a process and ensuing investigation that was flawed.

I have come to the conclusion that this was never about doing what was fair and just. Back in May, I had to make a difficult decision that I now regret. I tried to do what I thought was right. I chose not to take legal action. I wanted to return the focus to football.

I have been negotiating agreements on a global basis my entire life. I know there are times when you have to give up important points of principle to achieve a greater good. I acted in good faith and was optimistic that by taking the actions I took the league would have what they wanted. I was willing to accept the harshest penalty in the history of the NFL for an alleged ball violation because I believed it would help exonerate Tom.

I have often said, ‘If you want to get a deal done, sometimes you have to get the lawyers out of the room.’ I had hoped that Tom Brady’s appeal to the league would provide Roger Goodell the necessary explanation to overturn his suspension. Now, the league has taken the matter to court, which is a tactic that only a lawyer would recommend.

Once again, I want to apologize to the fans of the New England Patriots and Tom Brady. I was wrong to put my faith in the league. Given the facts, evidence, and laws of science that underscore this entire situation, it is completely incomprehensible to me that the league continues to take steps to disparage one of its all-time great players, and a man for whom I have the utmost respect.

Personally, this is very sad and disappointing to me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 16 of 24
Jump to: