Some concerns about a Randle/Okafor partnership?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Some concerns about a Randle/Okafor partnership?

Hi

I see that the mocks have the Lakers draft Okafor.
Looking a bit at what is said about him, I am quite concerned with a partnership Randle/Okafor inside. Both seems to be offensive players with questionable, at best, defense. I don't want to talk about "defensive potential".
That would make a very young paint, and a very defense-lacking one too.
I can't really say about Towns, couldn't follow a lot.

To bet on such a partnership for years to come to bring the Lakers back on top seems risky.

Are those concerns legit? Anybody have those too?
Are the Lakers considering trading the pick (can't follow much these days)? What is your opinion on the Lakers' pick?
roflwtflolomg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject:

on offense, the combo seems great. okafor downlow, randle top of the key for some high/low action. and randle seems to prefer to face up and drive rather than post up on the block, which okafor excels in.

on defense, they will be pretty bad. neither can block shots...okafor has a big frame so at best he can be a decent 1v1 defender (in the post). hes pretty nimble so i dont see him having too much trouble having to come out and defend the pick n roll either.

towns, is a significantly better all around defender. would be able to protect the paint. hes not high fly act like a deandre jordan, but he can definitely contest shots. quicker on his feet than okafor, so he would be a much help defender also.

i feel like both potential picks are solid. its a win/win. with okafor u get better offense, towns u get better defense.
Xfactor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

I'm hoping Okafor gets better on defense through proper conditioning and experience. He can follow the Marc Gasol or Andrew Bogut template.

Admittedly, I may be downplaying the concerns on defense when it could be a bigger issue. But I just think back to the Pau-Odom or Gasol-ZBo combo as examples of a front court lineup that may look iffy on paper (defensively) but turned out to be at least respectable overall.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject:

That's a legitimate concern, if we pick Okafor. A few things can help if our worse fears about them materialize:

1. Emphasize the acquisition of quick, defensive-minded players (Tony Allen, Courtney Lee, Mike Conley) Neither Gasol or Randolph are athletic studs. They use positioning, team coordination, and intelligence.

2. Scott's got to emphasize team defense with a kind of hybrid zone, man-to-man defensive scheme

3. Thankfully they are only two of our best players. We will have to target complementary players with certain qualities to compensate for Oak & J30.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Hit the boards.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject:

No concerns at all. Bogut/Green have been good defensively and Okafor/Randle are bigger and more athletic. It'll take time, but they will eventually figure it out.

Offensively, it would be the best front court since Robinson/Duncan. Both players can attack off the dribble and are great passers.
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Hit the boards.

There are no boards to grab if the opponents just runs through the pain like a hot knofe in butter. We have seen that with Hill, and Gasol, who are good rebounders

Ok so the concerns are legit.
It's nice to have good offence, but if you have to sacrifice paint defense, I'm not for it. I'd rather have a tiny bit less talented kid who fits what Lakers' need
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject:

I like the Gasol and Bogut citations...who expected those guys to ever be voted All-NBA defenders?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

Romano338 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Hit the boards.

There are no boards to grab if the opponents just runs through the pain like a hot knofe in butter. We have seen that with Hill, and Gasol, who are good rebounders

Ok so the concerns are legit.
It's nice to have good offence, but if you have to sacrifice paint defense, I'm not for it. I'd rather have a tiny bit less talented kid who fits what Lakers' need

Nah. We are talent deprived and need best player available. If okafor is the best you take him and worry about the rest of the team later. Randle isn't someone who is permanently etched in stone.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

Okafor needs to watch Duncan on defense. They have similar size and athleticism.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Some concerns about a Randle/Okafor partnership?

Romano338 wrote:
Hi

I see that the mocks have the Lakers draft Okafor.
Looking a bit at what is said about him, I am quite concerned with a partnership Randle/Okafor inside. Both seems to be offensive players with questionable, at best, defense. I don't want to talk about "defensive potential".

Okafor is 19 years old.. don't we have to talk about potential? I get the concern, I have it too.But I'm also very hopeful that Okafor can develop into a solid defender.

I think Gasol and Randolph are indeed a good example of success of a somewhat similar duo. About halfway through this regular season, Memphis was a top 3 team. As good as the Warriors for a quarter of the year. Would Memphis not be a legit contender if they had a 3 and D small forward? I think they just need a bit more shooting on the perimeter and that'd make them legit contenders.
So, if Okafor turns into a good defender in a few years with his tools, and we surround Okafor/Randle with the right players - I think it can be a very successful duo.
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject:

No I don't want to talk about "defensive potential" because that hides a "he does not defend but has the physical tools to do it"
But defense is 95% mind and will to defend. A lazy defender in college can have all the most marvellous physical tools in the world, he will be a lazy defender in NBA. One out ofmany will actually change into a decent defender
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: