David Letterman's last show is tonight
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

Conan is still funny, but it's too bad he couldn't keep some of his best bits like Triumph and the (bleep) bear.

Actually, Triumph still appears regularly on his show. I think it's because it's Robert Smigel's creation, so NBC doesn't own the rights to Triumph, unlike the masturbating bear. You can go to Conan's website and watch all the segments featuring Triumph.

As far as Letterman, I'm too young to remember his early days. Seems that everyone that worships him, including Conan, talks about the early days. His last decade or so has been underwhelming, to say the least. It always seemed like he was mailing it in, and the show just wasn't funny. I've maybe seen a handful of shows in the last 5 years. Of course I watched his last show last night, and it was just a bore. He looks, walks, and talks like an old man. There seems to be very little energy there. And it was kinda weird to see the contrast between an old and tired Letterman and his very young son. Should have retired years ago.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject:

bryants2hot2handle wrote:
I like Conan and Kimmel. Conan's show use to have amazing writing, it is still alright today though.

Didn't watch letterman at all, but tuned in last night to see if his send off would top Colbert's.

I would take Conan over that idiot Jimmy Fallon....
I can't stand his endless grovelling over every celebrity that comes on his show.
Seems like NBC is happy having Lorne Michaels take over the late night shows on both timeslots.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Seems like NBC is happy having Lorne Michaels take over the late night shows on both timeslots.

Since they are both #1 I would assume so.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: David Letterman's last show is tonight

venturalakersfan wrote:
C M B wrote:
He was always funnier than Leno.

"Was" being the operative word. I used to love him, I would tape his show every night, and I was one of the probably 100 people in the US who watched his day time show. But in the last 10 years or so, he just became a bitter old man. I watched last night hoping that the old magic would return. The monologue was horrible, the top 10 list was pretty funny. The ending was good with the Foo Fighters doing Everlong, but in between the top 10 and the end it was a snooze fest. Dave should have retired in 2004.

He wasn't going to retire while Leno was still doing The Tonight Show. That's my theory anyway.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Conan is still funny, but it's too bad he couldn't keep some of his best bits like Triumph and the (bleep) bear.

Actually, Triumph still appears regularly on his show. I think it's because it's Robert Smigel's creation, so NBC doesn't own the rights to Triumph, unlike the (bleep) bear. You can go to Conan's website and watch all the segments featuring Triumph.

As far as Letterman, I'm too young to remember his early days. Seems that everyone that worships him, including Conan, talks about the early days. His last decade or so has been underwhelming, to say the least. It always seemed like he was mailing it in, and the show just wasn't funny. I've maybe seen a handful of shows in the last 5 years. Of course I watched his last show last night, and it was just a bore. He looks, walks, and talks like an old man. There seems to be very little energy there. And it was kinda weird to see the contrast between an old and tired Letterman and his very young son. Should have retired years ago.

Letterman on his best day was never as funny as Trevor Noah.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Why does nobody ever talk about Conan anymore?

Gotta give it to Letterman though. He had black musical guests on his show and called Esperanza Spalding the coolest guest he has ever had. Conan doesn't seem to ever have any black musical guests. And he isn't very funny either.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject:

David Letterman was my introduction to late night, and Jay just paled in comparison. I would watch Dave, then switch to NBC to watch Conan
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Since they are both #1 I would assume so.

Seth Meyers is absolutely terrible though. He's not a naturally funny guy nor is he a good interviewer. Only reason he is #1 is because of the guests he gets and the roll over from Fallons show. Meyers is one of the worst late night hosts Ive seen maybe half a notch better than Magic Johnson.
exempt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Letterman peaked in the 90s
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Mid to late 90s Letterman was the best.

Nah. No way. And wrong per usual. You're simply identifying your age, as will I. I grew up watching Letterman in the '80s. My mom was such a fanatic that she'd tape the show, and we would watch it the next morning while eating breakfast before I headed off to school. I loved it. In 1998, while interning in DC, I had the fortunate opportunity to visit NYC and catch a taping of his show. It was great. Letterman is a legend, though he was past his prime. Not that it tainted his legacy, but he should, as Wilt said, hung 'em up years ago. He just wasn't the same after rupturing his Achilles. And Leno is, and always has been, abjectly awful and a snake. His only apparent talents are catering to idiots, backstabbing people and collecting cars.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

So, the majority of the last set was dumped in the trash. would you bave dumpster dove and ebayed it if u knew?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: David Letterman's last show is tonight

lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
C M B wrote:
He was always funnier than Leno.

"Was" being the operative word. I used to love him, I would tape his show every night, and I was one of the probably 100 people in the US who watched his day time show. But in the last 10 years or so, he just became a bitter old man. I watched last night hoping that the old magic would return. The monologue was horrible, the top 10 list was pretty funny. The ending was good with the Foo Fighters doing Everlong, but in between the top 10 and the end it was a snooze fest. Dave should have retired in 2004.

I think he wanted to thank everybody for making the show, so yeah, it was kinda dull. He showed a bunch of behind the scenes clips, thanked everyone who worked on his show, and his family, and the audience. Then showed a bunch of screen shots of his shows throughout the years and rolled credits of every individual who worked on the show....If you expected people like the Kardashians to show up, this wasn't it.

I expected to see the man under the stairs dammi!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
David Letterman was my introduction to late night, and Jay just paled in comparison. I would watch Dave, then switch to NBC to watch Conan

I am probably one of the few who can say this, but as a youngster I loved staying up late to watch Carson.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:

I am probably one of the few who can say this, but as a youngster I loved staying up late to watch Carson.

Art Fern and Carol Wayne!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Mid to late 90s Letterman was the best.

Nah. No way. And wrong per usual. You're simply identifying your age, as will I. I grew up watching Letterman in the '80s. My mom was such a fanatic that she'd tape the show, and we would watch it the next morning while eating breakfast before I headed off to school. I loved it. In 1998, while interning in DC, I had the fortunate opportunity to visit NYC and catch a taping of his show. It was great. Letterman is a legend, though he was past his prime. Not that it tainted his legacy, but he should, as Wilt said, hung 'em up years ago. He just wasn't the same after rupturing his Achilles. And Leno is, and always has been, abjectly awful and a snake. His only apparent talents are catering to idiots, backstabbing people and collecting cars.

To be fair, I think most people our age who watched Letterman caught on to him in the 1990s when we were in HS/College.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: