PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject:

Captain Picard

or a Sith

or anything with extraterrestrial travel really
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject:

I wanted to either be an martial arts fighter, or martial arts teacher.

I teach a little now, I did some full contact tournaments in my day, but to be honest I lacked the killer instinct or mean streak to want to go out there and hurt someone. It wasn't fear of getting hurt, it was the emotional burden of hurting another person that I just didn't like.

I like to watch MMA, and have been corner man and trainer for some of my friends who do MMA or full contact martial arts, but when it comes to me I just don't have that desire.

My day job is a sales manager, I can safely say that wasn't my dream as a child, but I do also teach a self defense class and a kids kickboxing group.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject:

I don't have a "when I grow up" list. I wanted to be a lawyer and I did that. I feel like I'm achieving my goals career-wise.

The two biggest things on my bucket list are living abroad for a few years (preferably South America or Europe) and writing a book (even if unpublished) -- in that order.

I'd like to get back to my physical fitness when I was 19-20 but that's going to be tough at 39-40. I'm working on it though.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

Cosmonaut, must serve Mother Russia.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
or anything with extraterrestrial travel really

So . . . Über driver.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject:

A junkie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

A vet because I like to help poor sick animals.

Now, I own several slaughterhouses.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject:

growing up I went through the usual "i want to be a cop, a firefighter" thing.

-in HS got bit by the acting bug then realized my ass was broke and with bills

but now, looking back, I can say I didnt truly want any of that. I just thought I did.

I guess I never wanted to be anything but happy. My idea of a happy life, the point where Im satisfied, is when i can tell my kids "lets grab pizza tonight... just because"

To me, without trying to get all sentimental and stuff....

I just want to become a better father for my kids.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Fortunately, I never really went the "What I want to be when I grow up" path.

I just wanted to be happy. I knew that the creative arenas were the place that would happen.

Thus, I just followed the path that was laid out for me as I engaged in that pursuit, and as a result I've had a great journey.

I'm doing exactly what I want to grow up to doing.

i like that.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
growing up I went through the usual "i want to be a cop, a firefighter" thing.

-in HS got bit by the acting bug then realized my ass was broke and with bills

but now, looking back, I can say I didnt truly want any of that. I just thought I did.

I guess I never wanted to be anything but happy. My idea of a happy life, the point where Im satisfied, is when i can tell my kids "lets grab pizza tonight... just because"

To me, without trying to get all sentimental and stuff....

I just want to become a better father for my kids.

+1.

And give them a little bit better life and opportunities than I had. And hope they can do the same for their kids...
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
I had 2 enduring dreams as a young boy:

1) To one day kick my dad in the nuts and live to see another sunrise. (Mission accomplished )

2) I basically wanted to be Marco Polo.

You need to tell this story.

Sorry, I missed this. I'm afraid the story isn't very interesting.

Preface:

When I was a kid growing up out in the sticks in British Columbia (pop 26) my dad was the first in the region to get a satellite dish so he could watch his beloved Chicago Bears. Like most little boys wanting to be close to their dads, I sat religiously at his side watching every game. As I was learning about football I of course had plenty of questions, and we all know how annoying that could be in the middle of a game. So my dad would get me down in a 3 point stance and just pummel me across the room as he did his little "teaching replay". I didn't mind much in the beginning because I just figured that's what the guys on TV felt like, but after a few years, I started to get the inkling that he rather enjoyed it. So I'd go harder and harder at him, and he'd try to pretend he wasn't extending much effort, but it was getting harder and harder to easily toss me about. Finally when I was 13, and we were living in Australia, It was my turn to teach my dad about "Footy" (Aussie Rules) and I snuck in a few good licks in the process. At that point he was taping Bears games and we'd watch it together on monday night. That next game he really let me have it a few times, but on one play I could tell he was going to blast up into me and I really steadied myself and he was only able to lift me about a foot and move me about a foot. I immediately got back down in a 3pt stance and the look on my face must have made him think "This kids serious, and he's soon gonna be big enough to put up a real battle. He wouldn't get down into his stance. He just said "Watch the game". That was the end of our physical "Football Watching" routine, and I was more than just a little angry. I'd spent a lifetime up to that point getting better and better at taking what he was able to dish out and I felt robbed to not get my chance at the payback I dreamed about.

The Kick:

Fast forward to the 2007 Super Bowl between the Colts and the Bears. We made a bet on the game, with him of course choosing the Bears. Over the years we'd gone through our fair share of shaved heads (which was only an issue for me since he was already bald), beer biacth for a month, the 3 hard slaps, but we'd always only joked about "Kicking a Field Goal" , but always settled on some other punishment for the loser. Well I would not be deterred in 2007. I figured he was in his early 60's, and - even though still healthy and built like a brick house; the clock for any rough stuff was definitely ticking to a close. Well Chicago lost the SuperBowl, and I kicked a field goal in victory. And it was a very SOLID kick! Point of the toe instead of top of the foot. While it of course buckled him, I admit to being impressed that he was able to steady himself in under a few minutes. Dad was still tough as nails.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Chiropractor
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
I had 2 enduring dreams as a young boy:

1) To one day kick my dad in the nuts and live to see another sunrise. (Mission accomplished )

2) I basically wanted to be Marco Polo.

You need to tell this story.

Sorry, I missed this. I'm afraid the story isn't very interesting.

Preface:

When I was a kid growing up out in the sticks in British Columbia (pop 26) my dad was the first in the region to get a satellite dish so he could watch his beloved Chicago Bears. Like most little boys wanting to be close to their dads, I sat religiously at his side watching every game. As I was learning about football I of course had plenty of questions, and we all know how annoying that could be in the middle of a game. So my dad would get me down in a 3 point stance and just pummel me across the room as he did his little "teaching replay". I didn't mind much in the beginning because I just figured that's what the guys on TV felt like, but after a few years, I started to get the inkling that he rather enjoyed it. So I'd go harder and harder at him, and he'd try to pretend he wasn't extending much effort, but it was getting harder and harder to easily toss me about. Finally when I was 13, and we were living in Australia, It was my turn to teach my dad about "Footy" (Aussie Rules) and I snuck in a few good licks in the process. At that point he was taping Bears games and we'd watch it together on monday night. That next game he really let me have it a few times, but on one play I could tell he was going to blast up into me and I really steadied myself and he was only able to lift me about a foot and move me about a foot. I immediately got back down in a 3pt stance and the look on my face must have made him think "This kids serious, and he's soon gonna be big enough to put up a real battle. He wouldn't get down into his stance. He just said "Watch the game". That was the end of our physical "Football Watching" routine, and I was more than just a little angry. I'd spent a lifetime up to that point getting better and better at taking what he was able to dish out and I felt robbed to not get my chance at the payback I dreamed about.

The Kick:

Fast forward to the 2007 Super Bowl between the Colts and the Bears. We made a bet on the game, with him of course choosing the Bears. Over the years we'd gone through our fair share of shaved heads (which was only an issue for me since he was already bald), beer biacth for a month, the 3 hard slaps, but we'd always only joked about "Kicking a Field Goal" , but always settled on some other punishment for the loser. Well I would not be deterred in 2007. I figured he was in his early 60's, and - even though still healthy and built like a brick house; the clock for any rough stuff was definitely ticking to a close. Well Chicago lost the SuperBowl, and I kicked a field goal in victory. And it was a very SOLID kick! Point of the toe instead of top of the foot. While it of course buckled him, I admit to being impressed that he was able to steady himself in under a few minutes. Dad was still tough as nails.

HA! Dad was no fool! Except for the field goal thing!
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Had no dreams of the future when I was young. Dropped out of high school when I was 16. If someone had told me my future life's path, I'd have thought them to be on PCP. Life is strange that way.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject:

I was never able to answer that question growing up, as far as doing something to earn an income. I still don't know. I've owned my own business for the last ten years and have a comfortable life. But, it's not stimulating work. Even the travel has become mundane. I admire those who have a "calling" and do earn an income doing something meaningful, helpful or expressive.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

I'm actually still trying to figure it out.
Just graduated college and I'm the sports and outdoors editor at a small newspaper, but I hate the hours and the pay is horrible.

Anybody have any ideas what industry I should go into? I'm looking to get out... very soon!
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject:

A rocket surgeon.

Real answer: Creative Director
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: