Should the Lakers be stockpiling young talent with the current picks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I get that. And I'm not advocating dumping both. I'd rather have quality over quantity. Trade both to move up. Or stash 1 if necessary. Too many young players and not sure they will get the proper development.

I think if they compete against each other in practice, they all improve. If the Lakers get an opportunity at Christian Wood, McCullough, or Holmes at PF or SF and they fulfill potential, the team has a SCARY front line.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

I get that. And I'm not advocating dumping both. I'd rather have quality over quantity. Trade both to move up. Or stash 1 if necessary. Too many young players and not sure they will get the proper development.

I think if they compete against each other in practice, they all improve. If the Lakers get an opportunity at Christian Wood, McCullough, or Holmes at PF or SF and they fulfill potential, the team has a SCARY front line.

I'm fairly certain we only bring in two quality rookies. I think Mitch has made that clear.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
We have a ton of young assets. Randle/clarkson/Tarik/Jabrown then you add #2 pick, 27 and 34 and that's a bit overkill. Quality over quantity.

It's way too early to count Brown and Black as assets IMO.

Chances of those two being better than a 27 or 34 is actually decent.

Really? I disagree with that. The chances of 2 undrafted rookies who looked decent on a historically bad team being a part of this teams future is high unlikley.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

I'm fairly certain we only bring in two quality rookies. I think Mitch has made that clear.

I am looking at your "conservative/realistic" roster speculation and do not understand the resistance to adding two more rookies as developmental depth.

For example: a PG like Wright and a SF like Holmes or Brown seem an easy fits at both positions. For both on-court and financial reasons.

I have stated before I would be thrilled to see a trade down of the late picks to acquire Justin Anderson at SF. But also realize that is a longshot at best. Probably unrealistic.

Lakers are in transition. From a bottom five team to hopefully back into relevance. It takes players to do so. There are enough holes in the roster to sign leadership.

The argument for vets to teach the young players is countered by Kobe, the vet SF (Green, Carroll, Middleton,???), a vet PG like Williams (or Lin/Dragic/???). Part of the reason I would like some serious consideration to be given to re-signing players like Lin, Davis, Ellington or Johnson. Even Sacre has proven himself to be a solid mature vet.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
So we have 3 from this past offseason/season, and at least one this offseason. With a 12-man roster, that is 33% of our available players. I wouldn't want to add many more rookies than that, you make the playoffs with vets, not rookies.

So you see the Lakers winning approximately 25 more games this season to make the playoffs?

They can use the available $24M cap to make make the vet free agent acquisitions and the couple of rookies play well enough to do so?

I do not share your optimism to make the moves necessary to earn the 8th seed. IMO this season is about rebuilding and Kobe's Farewell Tour.

I see the Lakers making moves to make the playoffs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
We have a ton of young assets. Randle/clarkson/Tarik/Jabrown then you add #2 pick, 27 and 34 and that's a bit overkill. Quality over quantity.

It's way too early to count Brown and Black as assets IMO.

Chances of those two being better than a 27 or 34 is actually decent.

Really? I disagree with that. The chances of 2 undrafted rookies who looked decent on a historically bad team being a part of this teams future is high unlikley.

Black looked decent starting for a team now playing in the WCFs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

I am looking at your "conservative/realistic" roster speculation and do not understand the resistance to adding two more rookies as developmental depth.

For example: a PG like Wright and a SF like Holmes or Brown seem an easy fits at both positions. For both on-court and financial reasons.

I have stated before I would be thrilled to see a trade down of the late picks to acquire Justin Anderson at SF. But also realize that is a longshot at best. Probably unrealistic.

Lakers are in transition. From a bottom five team to hopefully back into relevance. It takes players to do so. There are enough holes in the roster to sign leadership.

The argument for vets to teach the young players is countered by Kobe, the vet SF (Green, Carroll, Middleton,???), a vet PG like Williams (or Lin/Dragic/???). Part of the reason I would like some serious consideration to be given to re-signing players like Lin, Davis, Ellington or Johnson. Even Sacre has proven himself to be a solid mature vet.

Because developing rookies requires attention which is a finite resource with our staff. I'd rather have 5 rookies/2nd year players we develop than 7 because a few won't get the playing time or resources. I'd rather package 27/34 to move up and get a quality player over quantity of young players. I think Mitch agrees with this take.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

Agree that Brown is uncertain. He has not proven he even belongs in the NBA, but he does definitely deserve a second look.

Black, on the other hand, I disagree with. He definitely is an asset and a proven player. He was 11th in the all-rookie team voting. If there was a 3rd team, he'd be in.

That means he's among the 15 best players in his draft. Now, there were more injured players that were supposed to be top ones in this draft than usual, so let's say adjust for that: He was among the 20 best players in his draft.

On average, picks 27 and 34 will NOT become top 20 players in their draft class. Players like Clarkson at 46 are the ones who make people believe that you can get good players at 27 and 34, but the truth is that doesn't happen often.

So Black is a real asset, and way better than the 27th or 34th pick.
Jury is out on Brown
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Because developing rookies requires attention which is a finite resource with our staff. I'd rather have 5 rookies/2nd year players we develop than 7 because a few won't get the playing time or resources. I'd rather package 27/34 to move up and get a quality player over quantity of young players. I think Mitch agrees with this take.

I have no issues with trading up for a better quality player that perhaps fits the roster better. If they can make a deal.

Just a couple of days ago this discussion of combining the picks to move up was diminished a bit because it was argued (I thought by you in fact) that the value of the two picks would only move them a couple of spots. Not into a range that would land a significantly better player. The value was in using the picks for players or trade incentives.

I suppose my expectations are different. As I have mentioned, I am fully embracing player development and chemistry this year. My expectations are for improvement not a playoff run. If the Lakers do decide to draft/add a couple extra young players they could alos add a couple more position coaches to work with them. Unlike the player salary cap coaches can be added w/o too much of an issue.

There are a lot of ways to improve the team. We all have our favorites. Whether it be the path taken or the players added. The one fact that is not arguable is it is going to be a long off-season and someone will be wrong by the start of the season. I include myself in that distinct possibility.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

^ no I have consistently of the mindset we would not bring in 7 rookies/2nd year players.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject:

About stockpiling young talent, just see how it went for the Cleveland Cavaliers... Just saying.
hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

very good prospects. but mike, i think you just found our steal. aint no way he drops that low enough to pick him after we pick one of the lotto bigs first.

Christian wood. could be a LO type head case that gives you a few solid years in the nba or he could end up being a low level star in the nba. he has all of the skill, just needs to bulk up a bit. and tighten his current game up. That defense is for real. being able to time his blocks like that is incredible. Most people(big or small) never learn how to do this. Guys like DJ are going off of pure athletic ability. This guy has that plus crazy timing. which tells me he will stay out of foul trouble. Even though i'm not for having a bunch of rookies around. i would take him along with towns or OK. Imagine having him off the bench after randle sits down. No rest for the opponent whatsoever.

lol at nbadraft.net calling him anthony randolf(him being christian woods). sure randolf was super athletic and thin.And Randolf could block shots. but randolf wasnt that good of a shooter early on. nor was he as versatile as this kid is. I'm saying worse case randolf.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: