Mitch says Lakers don't have Time to Slowly build through the Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Since Beck is a NY reporter, this report has Knicks fans hoping Lakers trade #2 pick for Carmelo!

How would the salaries even match? Even if they did, I wouldn't even consider #2 for #4 + melo
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject:

CalisFinest wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Not just time, but also means. Lakers draft picks have to go to PHX and ORL as well. Lakers had this two year window to keep the PHX pick. I'm almost certain the pick goes to PHX next year unless they can stay in the bottom 3 (which isn't always a lock you stay there)

So with that in mind, Lakers can't go the draft lottery route. Even this past season was lucky in that they moved up to 2 vs moving down to 6. Had they been bumped to 6 the pick goes to PHX.

Tanking is over for at least a season or two. It's time to get better with FA and trades as well.

I think people forget that we owe picks. Personally if the Lakers get Love, another tier 3 free agent, draft Okafor/Towns, Randle and Kobe are healthy... I don't see why the Lakers can't win 45+ games and try for the 7-8 seed

I am still holding onto the pipe that we finish 9-10 in the West but get lucky in the lottery and keep our top 3 pick next offseason.

In the event of that happening, what would happen to the pick in 2018? Who does it go to?

We keep it. 2017 goes to PHI with 1-3 protection, and ORL moves to 2019, unprotected
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

even after reading this, people will still say we need to build the right way
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
For some reason Mitch seems to hate the draft. For years he gave away picks like candy on Halloween. It's odd because Jerry West loved the draft. I remember the late great Joe McDonnell always saying that West was always obsessed with getting younger.

That's a very strange thing to say considering Mitch went out of his way to buy a 46th pick for Clarkson just last season. And then later trades for Lin just so they get Houston's pick.

And of course after getting the 2 pick, they celebrate like its 1999.

People are taking this article completely the wrong way.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

I think the key word most people are missing is "slowly"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

Lebron left the Heat because Wade was breaking down and he knew he had a change of playing with Irving and Love. He didn't leave just to go home or for the brand of the Cavs. It's the same with Love. He's in his prime playing with arguably the best player.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
For some reason Mitch seems to hate the draft. For years he gave away picks like candy on Halloween. It's odd because Jerry West loved the draft. I remember the late great Joe McDonnell always saying that West was always obsessed with getting younger.

That's a very strange thing to say considering Mitch went out of his way to buy a 46th pick for Clarkson just last season. And then later trades for Lin just so they get Houston's pick.

And of course after getting the 2 pick, they celebrate like its 1999.

People are taking this article completely the wrong way.

I agree. Misinterpreting it for a little bit of confirmation bias
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Lebron left the Heat because Wade was breaking down and he knew he had a change of playing with Irving and Love. He didn't leave just to go home or for the brand of the Cavs. It's the same with Love. He's in his prime playing with arguably the best player.

No, my question, as is the similar situation with Durant/Westbrook to the Lakers is the following:

2 years before LBJ left Miami, were you of the opinion LBJ would leave the Heat to join the Cavs and Irving/Waiters/Thompson? (just beat OKC for title)

1 year before LBJ left Miami, same question (after just beating the Spurs).

No and no. Which lets me know that almost anything's possible. And unlike the Cavs, the Lakers have the most desired location/brand name.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

No, my question, as is the similar situation with Durant/Westbrook to the Lakers is the following:

2 years before LBJ left Miami, were you of the opinion LBJ would leave the Heat to join the Cavs and Irving/Waiters/Thompson? (just beat OKC for title)

No and no. Which lets me know that almost anything's possible. And unlike the Cavs, the Lakers have the most desired location/brand name.
Location/Brand name doesn't matter anymore. It's all about how many stars a team have. It's why Aldridge is going to the Spurs. He has a chance to play alongside Leonard, Duncan, and Parker.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject:

Game Recognizes Game! If any FAs take note that the Lakers just so happen to draft Jahlil Okafor, I can tell you right now, FA's will be flocking to LA. There are only enough good centers to count on one hand in this league and in terms of game changing dominant centers, there's probably even less than that. I think that Okafor will be a future dominant game changing center and players will recognize that and be willing to come and play for the Lakers. Kobe on his way out the door is only more incentive for them to come to the team.

Mitch's comments probably are in less regard to an aging Kobe and more regarding he and Jims opportunity to rebuild this franchise. I think next year we will see an entirely different Lakers roster with at least 5 new faces.

I will predict that the following players will no longer be on the team, either way you slice it.

Kelly/Sacre/Johnson/Price/Price/Lin/Hill
I think Lin & Hill will be trade bait, we will probably keep Swaggy P and possibly trade him mid season if he doesn't produce, but everyone else is gone. Lin and Hill will bring us back either cash or future picks (late round), but I think the Lakers will look to balance out the roster with some FA Vets being added, like Love.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Exactly, that's what I came away from Mitch interview. Okafor/Randle/Clarkson is the core we will build around. They will add solid veterans around those players.

They can and should add some solid veterans, but thanks to LA and the Lakers great brand, they will have a great chance at the stars. I think the young core will be the group that attracts the lead players rather than organically and patiently waiting 3-4 seasons for Okafor/Randle/Clarkson to develop. They are the honey that attracts the big bears like Durant, Westbrook.
The Lakers brand doesn't attract stars like it once did. Durant is already a superstar in a small market. Every team will want Durant but why would he leave a prime Westbrook and Ibaka?

Durant seems like the loyal type, totally different from Lebron. Lets not forget about his injury, have to see how it plays out. Im preparing for the core to be Okafor/Randle/Clarkson.

They have peaked as a team and the cheapness of the OKC gm, the guy that didn't want to go over the cap for Harden, will probably factor into it.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

If all OKC can do this offseason is Kanter and Steven Adams, Durant is gonna be like,

Durant: "(bleep) it, I'm out. You trade my brother from another mother Harden for this crap? Westbrook, come with me after you're done with these fools next season."

Westbrook: "Sure thing."
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
If all OKC can do this offseason is Kanter and Steven Adams, Durant is gonna be like,

Durant: "(bleep) it, I'm out. You trade my brother from another mother Harden for this crap? Westbrook, come with me after you're done with these fools next season."

But...that's a championship team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Megaton wrote:

But...that's a championship team.

Looks like they have to win it next year or Durant will surely keep other options open.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject:

CalisFinest wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Not just time, but also means. Lakers draft picks have to go to PHX and ORL as well. Lakers had this two year window to keep the PHX pick. I'm almost certain the pick goes to PHX next year unless they can stay in the bottom 3 (which isn't always a lock you stay there)

So with that in mind, Lakers can't go the draft lottery route. Even this past season was lucky in that they moved up to 2 vs moving down to 6. Had they been bumped to 6 the pick goes to PHX.

Tanking is over for at least a season or two. It's time to get better with FA and trades as well.

I think people forget that we owe picks. Personally if the Lakers get Love, another tier 3 free agent, draft Okafor/Towns, Randle and Kobe are healthy... I don't see why the Lakers can't win 45+ games and try for the 7-8 seed

I am still holding onto the pipe that we finish 9-10 in the West but get lucky in the lottery and keep our top 3 pick next offseason.

In the event of that happening, what would happen to the pick in 2018? Who does it go to?

If we use our 2016 pick, the 2017 is top 3 protected to Philly and we keep the 2018 pick.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Tue May 26, 2015 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Location/Brand name doesn't matter anymore. It's all about how many stars a team have. It's why Aldridge is going to the Spurs. He has a chance to play alongside Leonard, Duncan, and Parker.

Doubtfully Duncan, or the Spurs won't have cap space to sign Aldridge. I still think that there is a good chance Aldridge is here next season.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject:

Even if Durant did want to come here, would the Lakers still want him despite the foot injury? How many productive games does he need for the Lakers to say yes?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Even if Durant did want to come here, would the Lakers still want him despite the foot injury? How many productive games does he need for the Lakers to say yes?

Well Durant has a whole year next season to prove how serious or trivial his injury is.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Yeah but this known as the Pau Gasol fallacy. That since Mitch was able to get Pau for Kwame, that deals like that are to be had any time. And sure, anything is possible, but I think the most likely scenario, by a huge margin, is that lebron stays put. Don't you agree?

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't (nor shouldn't) hold our breath for him.

Btw, can you imagine the editing frenzy and/or the backpeddling we'd see round here if The King came? Yikes. Haha
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Yeah but this known as the Pau Gasol fallacy. That since Mitch was able to get Pau for Kwame, that deals like that are to be had any time. And sure, anything is possible, but I think the most likely scenario, by a huge margin, is that lebron stays put. Don't you agree?

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't (nor shouldn't) hold our breath for him.

Btw, can you imagine the editing frenzy and/or the backpeddling we'd see round here if The King came? Yikes. Haha

Don't make it to complicated. My point is that it's a bit presumptuous to say that Durant will not leave the Thunder. What LBJ/Cavs should have told us is that it's not impossible for a star guy to leave what is on paper, a "good scene."
twentyfootlayup
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

that would be sweet ... pass the pipe this way for that outcome.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:

My hope is that they try to find the best of both worlds. Hit a home run with the no. 2 pick and sign of the top FA... be it Marc, or LMA, or Jimmy B. Hopefully they won't trade their pick as the only guys that would be worth it imo (KD, Russ, AD, Steph, and CP3) are probably and reasonably untouchable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: