How Did We Get Here: Luck, Astute Planning, or a Little Bit of Both?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

We got HERE because of
Luck
39%
 39%  [ 33 ]
Astute planning
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
A little of both, thanks Dr. Buss
54%
 54%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 84

lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

A little bit of both.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Pure luck. You know how the old saying goes I rather be lucky than good.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:

I think it is also luck.

Bad luck: Randle breaking his leg in his debut, all the other injuries we had

Good luck: Getting the steal of the draft with Clarkson, getting the #2 pick this year,
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject:

cap space/financial flexibility = astute planning (though had Melo signed, not sure where that would have put us...maybe we would have been just as bad as it seems this season was an intentional tank job as soon as kobe/randle/nash got hurt)
randle + clarkson = astute scouting
#2 pick = pure luck

so a combination of both.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Mostly Luck. Thank you Dwight Howard for leaving; thank you Carmelo for not signing; thank you Nash for not playing. It all worked out in the end.

If any of the 3 players mentioned above had played for us, we'd be in a far worse position today.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Good move signing Lin. It's a great business move. Basketball wise it is iffy I agree.

Can't defend the Boozer decision. But he certainly seems like a solid veteran influence who has a good game.

Would certainly keep both
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject:

A little of both but I pickdd astute planning. You have to make your own luck.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject:

You're a gentleman and a scholar yinny my dear. Never thought I'd see the word 'astute' in a LG poll.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Luck, if you consider David Stern a part of that.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject:

It was 100% luck. We were fortunate that Howard, Melo, or Pau didn't sign here or else we would have been a mediocre 7th or 8th seed with aging players. They struck gold with Randle and Clarkson and will do the same with Okafor/Towns. If they stay patient and build around the young trio, I think we will be good again in two years.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Good question Yinoma - It took luck to get the number 2 pick, but it took some semblance of planning to get the Lakers in position to get lucky in the first place. That's only if you consider a part of good planning to be the ability to adapt to the situation at hand when conditions change. I do. And I don't think it's any accident that, after all the injuries, the Lakers sat so many vets this past season, nor is it chance or ineptitude that the Lakers used so many one year rentals this past year.

Luck is for people who are at the right place at the right time, but getting to the right place at the right time isn't all luck.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject:

On the one hand these two seasons have been absolutely miserable. On the other hand it looks like we will emerge out of it with some nice pieces. Now the real FO will either be exposed or praised.
nslander32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:

This is making my head hurt. The fact we had the worst season in the history of the friggin franchise is a result of "luck". Listen to yourselves.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
cap space/financial flexibility = astute planning (though had Melo signed, not sure where that would have put us...maybe we would have been just as bad as it seems this season was an intentional tank job as soon as kobe/randle/nash got hurt)
randle + clarkson = astute scouting
#2 pick = pure luck

so a combination of both.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject:

It's planning. It's uncomfortable but this is what it takes. You can't go all out every single year without eventually paying the piper.

Dwight and/or Carmelo would have prevented them from having to completely bottom out first but they'd be considerably ahead of where they're at now. It's possible that these draft picks will net an even greater talent, but Melo and Dwight are sure things that would have solidified the team for the immediate future. I think the Lakers FO was pleased with the idea of either result.

A lot of fans were ticked that the team didn't blow money on Isaiah Thomas and Lance Stephenson. Those deals would have compromised the future for no real benefit for the present. The front office knew that and someday they'll get credit for it.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject:

Bad planning, luck of the lotto ball pick and three seasons of cumulative failures explain it, all of which Dr. Buss had no hand in, except to have left the club his his kids' hands.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

That number 2 pick was everything. If we lost the pick completely this year......one can imagine the sentiment on this board,
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject:

Pure luck.

Lakers made a lot of incorrect moves for the past offseason or two. Trying to acquire Melo (and failed thank goodness). Signing Nick Young to a 4 year deal was the biggest most idiotic move I have ever seen this franchise make. Keeping Lin instead of waiving him after acquiring Houston's pick, giving big minutes to Wesley Johnson and Wayne freaking Ellington, etc.

I mean the Lakers did a lot of things wrong in the regular season was well such as winning those games against the Sixers and Twolves, the overtime game against the Bulls, the three game winning streak, all at the worst possible time when they needed to put themselves at the best position possible to keep the pick.

The pure luck however, despite all the wrongs we did in last offseason and regular season, the ping pong polls rolled in our favor. Pure, utter, RNG. Because we certainly did not put ourselves in the best position to keep the lottery pick I can tell you that much.

So yeah, pure luck. Because if the ping pong balls did not go in our favor, we would want Jim and Mitch's head on a stake.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

Some magical force really prevented the Lakers from doing the things they really wanted: Dwight, Melo, etc. Our team and future look much different with them on board.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Some magical force really prevented the Lakers from doing the things they really wanted: Dwight, Melo, etc. Our team and future look much different with them on board.

I don't have a problem with how they approached both dwight and Melo:

With Dwight, they brought in Kobe and Nash, both of whom had had issues with Dwight, and basically allowed them to give it to him hard and straight. They didn't kiss his ass at all, dumb billboards notwithstanding. They put him to a test of accepting some responsibility and staying, or taking the easy way out and leaving. And i'm sure they would have facilitated a sign and trade if Dwight had wanted to go to Golden State (wonder if he's smart enough to be regretting that right now). They essentially made him either really really want to be there or go away.nright move in my book.

While they were far warmer with the Melo pitch, they also put him to a test. He had to give up the larger raises, the extra year, the status as the man, and the home base in ny that his wife and kids treasured. If Melonhad truly been willing to do those things, it would have represented a huge step in the right direction, and word is Pau was willing to stay if Melo stayed. It would have delayed the rebuild, but it is hard to predict what being a solid team does for their free agent chances in 2016. Better that it didn't work, but an understandable gambit nonetheless.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

The invisible hand of Wilt.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I think it's too soon to say, we're better off not having Dwight and Melo.
I'm happy with the Randle, Clarkson, and the #2 pick.
But it'll take a couple years till they become top 10-15 players in the league (like Dwight and Melo are when healthy).
If we sign a better player than Dwight or Melo in FA this offseason or next. Then I'll agree we were better off.
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Definitely both.

Astute planning. Most of our players are on short term deals. Didn't sign (could attribute this to luck) Melo and didn't retain Pau (I believe this to be a good thing). Didn't make any trades at the deadline that would have marginally improved the team. Collected a pick (thanks to Jeremy Lin). Clarkson being an excellent pick even disregarding where he was taken (2nd rd 48). Tarik Black turning out to be a very nice player.

Luck: I am sure we would have been happy with the 5th pick but the 2nd!? That is definitely lucky for us. Easily the most important thing that transpired this season.

In all, I definitely think there was some basketball karma swung our way. Look at the Knicks? No regard for the game and completely tanked outright. Look at a team like Minnesota or Philly. Both teams definitely lost a lot of games but they did play with effort. Their losses weren't because of tanking, but because of their youth.

Things so far have worked out well for us. I am sure Dr. Buss gave us a little extra "magic" from where he is up there.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject:

To go from a lockout, to a CBA designed specifically to disadvantage the Lakers, to the veto, to flash building the title favorite openning the 2012-13 season only to have the misfortune of Dr. Buss' passing, Bryant's achillies, Nash's broken leg, coupled with Dwight's immaturity cause it to all come crashing, to suffering two consequitive tanking years (best way to rebuild with this CBA)..........to having three blue chip rookie scale players, decent young depth in addition to that, to go with max cap room for the next three seasons.

Sure, all luck
BigRedApple13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Luck:

#2 Pick: Fortunately the Knicks (the only team to lose their spot in the lottery) seems to have no good fortune lol.

Clarkson: Who knew he would be All Rookie 1st team after the draft or even when he became starter.

Anthony and Howard were offered the max and turned it down, wasn't like they got the Amare treatment by Phoenix in 2010.

Nick Young deal last summer: Nuff said.

Now if their #2 pick (Towns/Okafor) become superstars and/or their FA signings this summer are legit, then the FO can take all the credit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: