***OFFICIAL LAKERS 2015 NBA DRAFT THREAD*** (No. 2 Russell, No. 27 Nance, No. 34 Brown: p.1661 - Upshaw signed for SL)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 803, 804, 805 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but what does floor being low mean? I know what it means a player has a high ceiling but does low floor mean that they could be REALLY bad?

It basically means whether or not a guy already has translatable skills. Okafor, for instance, has a pretty high floor because he is already very advanced offensively, and should be a teens scorer and starter/rotation player right off the bat. He'll at absolute worst be an Al Jefferson level player.

If a guy has a low floor, it means that they migbt have the physics tools, but they dont have the skills to complement it yet. An example of a guy like that from last year's draft would be Zach Lavine. Or reaching further back, Wesley Johnson. All the physical tools you'd ever want, but is absolutely awful at everything you do while playing basketball except running and jumping.
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:
Russell I project as a good 2nd 3rd option possibly franchise player but more likely the beta

Karl Towns or Okafor, yeah those guys are alpha males and could be the cornerstones for this team.

Okafor 1ST
Randle 2nd
Clarkson 3rd

let's just say, we will have options

Disagree, I don't think Towns or Okafor are suited as #1 options. Mental makeup of Towns doesn't scream Alpha to me. He seems like a Chris Bosh type. Okafor I can see being a #2 option, not the #1. All 3 picks have the ability to be cornerstones of this team, imo.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:
Russell I project as a good 2nd 3rd option possibly franchise player but more likely the beta

Karl Towns or Okafor, yeah those guys are alpha males and could be the cornerstones for this team.

Okafor 1ST
Randle 2nd
Clarkson 3rd

Russell is waaaaaaaay more alpha/I'm-the-baddest-dude-on-the-court than Towns or Okafor. I'm talking mentality, not game. Russell is most certainly not a beta.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:

Okafor 1ST
Randle 2nd
Clarkson 3rd

What makes you say Russell is a beta? The dude carried his entire team all year, and was the unquestioned leader on the court. And from his interviews, he's got that cockiness you look for in a franchise player.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but what does floor being low mean? I know what it means a player has a high ceiling but does low floor mean that they could be REALLY bad?

It basically means whether or not a guy already has translatable skills. Okafor, for instance, has a pretty high floor because he is already very advanced offensively, and should be a teens scorer and starter/rotation player right off the bat. He'll at absolute worst be an Al Jefferson level player.

If a guy has a low floor, it means that they migbt have the physics tools, but they dont have the skills to complement it yet. An example of a guy like that from last year's draft would be Zach Lavine. Or reaching further back, Wesley Johnson. All the physical tools you'd ever want, but is absolutely awful at everything you do while playing basketball except running and jumping.

Well said. And in Mudiay's case, he's not a freak athlete.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Sting wrote:

Okafor 1ST
Randle 2nd
Clarkson 3rd

Russell is waaaaaaaay more alpha/I'm-the-baddest-dude-on-the-court than Towns or Okafor. I'm talking mentality, not game. Russell is most certainly not a beta.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/dangelo-russell-im-the-best-player-in-the-draft/
Yup, that sold me. "I'm the best player in the draft" -D'Angelo Russell
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:

So based on this thread we've gone from preferring Okafor to Towns to Russell right?

One more month.
Vottomatic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Sting wrote:

Okafor 1ST
Randle 2nd
Clarkson 3rd

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/dangelo-russell-im-the-best-player-in-the-draft/

Kinda funny that when Mario said it he got criticize for being too cocky, Loud mouth etc.. But when Russell says he he gets praised for showing confidence etc..
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Vottomatic wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Sting wrote:

Okafor 1ST
Randle 2nd
Clarkson 3rd

Kinda funny that when Mario said it he got criticize for being too cocky, Loud mouth etc.. But when Russell says he he gets praised for showing confidence etc..

I think Mario's issues were more in relation to how he behaves on the court with his teammates and coaches as opposed to simply being confident during interviews
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Sting wrote:

Okafor 1ST
Randle 2nd
Clarkson 3rd

I would just take Russell to piss of the pathetic Hinkie. would love to see who would he draft
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Sting wrote:

Okafor 1ST
Randle 2nd
Clarkson 3rd

I would just take Russell to piss of the pathetic Hinkie. would love to see who would he draft

Whoever he picks between the Okafor/Towns leftover, he would have a hell of a trade chip.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Guards are easy to find a big that can dominate on offense isn't. Who do you think a star is likely to sign with a team with Okafor Randle and Clarkson than they would be with Randle and two perimeter players. Do you really think that's gonna entice Durant to play here? Do think Westbrook is gonna want to be here? We can sign someone like Dragic and we'll have enough back court talent in Young Kobe Clarkson & Dragic. Do you really want to depend on trying to sign One of the bigs on the market? If we can get anyone this summer it would be guys like Butler etc.., Love is a possibility but he's always injured. I want pieces that's gonna lead to a championship.
Vottomatic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
Vottomatic wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Sting wrote:

Okafor 1ST
Randle 2nd
Clarkson 3rd

I think Mario's issues were more in relation to how he behaves on the court with his teammates and coaches as opposed to simply being confident during interviews

I don't think he's ever had a problem with any of his teammates, there hasn't been any issues about that, he just gets upset cause the coach gives him no playing time
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Lakers will pick Russell and trade him to Philli for Okafor and Philli's 1st next year....

My very own conspiracy theory
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Sting wrote:

Okafor 1ST
Randle 2nd
Clarkson 3rd

Whoever he picks between the Okafor/Towns leftover, he would have a hell of a trade chip.

ya that all he can do ...multi generation rebuild
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Vottomatic wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
Vottomatic wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Sting wrote:

Okafor 1ST
Randle 2nd
Clarkson 3rd

I don't think he's ever had a problem with any of his teammates, there hasn't been any issues about that, he just gets upset cause the coach gives him no playing time

Quote:
As we've noted in previous reports one of the more significant ongoing concerns about Hezonja is his demeanor. His body language is poor at times and he seems to get down on his teammates. Though he's become far less demonstrative than he appeared at the junior level, it will be fascinating to watch how his swagger, ego and unlimited self-confidence fit in on whichever team opts to draft him.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3bOUzbgW8
http://www.draftexpress.com

Its not a major concern, but that is a little different than simply talking about your belief in your abilities
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Lakers will pick Russell and trade him to Philli for Okafor and Philli's 1st next year....

Lol With the uncertainty of Embiid health if they had Okafor they'll keep him.

Last edited by Car54 on Wed May 27, 2015 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
deal wrote:

With the uncertainty of Embiid health if they had Okafor they'll keep him.

Don't ruin the conspiracy theory....
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Lol my bad bro
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Funny how my pendulum keeps swinging back and forth between Russell and Okafor

Whichever one I read about or watch last, seems to become my preference. I trust Mitch and crew will get the right guy, but we'll be making a big step forward with either one.

One thing about Russell, is adding him to the mix makes the sum greater than the individual parts, because he'll make the game easier for everyone around him.

The 3pt shot is also pretty much mandatory if you want to become a contender, and Russell has that down too. He has nearly every box checked for a PG.

I'm intrigued by the idea of having 2 combo guards in the back court together. At least one of them is bound to have a mismatch on any given night, and they can just switch on defense.

Between Russell, Clarkson and Randle, our offense would be set. Just add a garbage man defensive center, and a 3&D guy at SF.
MelJBB
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Sting wrote:

Okafor 1ST
Randle 2nd
Clarkson 3rd

What makes you say Russell is a beta? The dude carried his entire team all year, and was the unquestioned leader on the court. And from his interviews, he's got that cockiness you look for in a franchise player.

I think of Russell as the new Ginobili. Solid 2nd/3rd option on an NBA team, but not a 1st option.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Funny how my pendulum keeps swinging back and forth between Russell and Okafor

Whichever one I read about or watch last, seems to become my preference. I trust Mitch and crew will get the right guy, but we'll be making a big step forward with either one.

One thing about Russell, is adding him to the mix makes the sum greater than the individual parts, because he'll make the game easier for everyone around him.

The 3pt shot is also pretty much mandatory if you want to become a contender, and Russell has that down too. He has nearly every box checked for a PG.

I'm intrigued by the idea of having 2 combo guards in the back court together. At least one of them is bound to have a mismatch on any given night, and they can just switch on defense.

Between Russell, Clarkson and Randle, our offense would be set. Just add a garbage man defensive center, and a 3&D guy at SF.

don't see that at all. i see the same 3 or 4 people rooting for russell. when most want towns or okafor.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject:

I remember when I was bringing up Russell on this board when he was barely being talked about. I love the kids game, I think he will be special. He will be the ROY imo. It's hard to pick him over Okafor imo also.

I have faith in the FO, you have too.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
M2K wrote:
misterrunon wrote:
It's so annoying how people overrated athleticism. It's a nice thing to have, but it's not the only determining factor. I could name you so many athletic freaks that did not pan out because they did not have the other necessary skills to be good.

Agree 100%. The skill and all around game Russell shows at his age suggests he will be something special. Plus, his floor vision is top level and that is before any major development.

To have that skill and BBIQ at only 19. Yeah, he's going to be special.

The #1 and #2 MVP candidates this year both play ground based games.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
I remember when I was bringing up Russell on this board when he was barely being talked about. I love the kids game, I think he will be special. He will be the ROY imo. It's hard to pick him over Okafor imo also.

I have faith in the FO, you have too.

Lakers can get a guard at 27. They need draft Towns or Okafor at 2.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 803, 804, 805 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next
Page 804 of 1691
Jump to: