SPL Game 8 -LAL vs MEM-Final game of year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject:

I think he was kidding.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject:

has the pinnock hype calm down already?
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Last day of the SPL! The championship game of the tryout teams pitted L. Smith & Associates against Play 2 Win. The final score in that game was Play 2 Win 114 LSA 94. Play 2 Win was definitely the most polished team with players like Kenny Bruner, Kenny Walker and Jerry Dupree.

Game Summary:

Lakers 108, Griz 111

Starters:
Lakers, Farmar, Green, Wafer, Fobbs, Douthit
Griz, Lowry, Warrick, Gay, Kinsey, Andreas Glyniadakis (The Greek)

Rudy Gay played today. There was an article regarding Rudy Gay in today's lineup sheet which talked about all the new experiences he has had this summer, opportunities most people never see, including being drafted, being traded, signing his first big pro contract and dealing with the media. The article also talked about his debut against the Mavs scrubs where he scored 21 pts with 10 rbs. In the Lakers game tonight Gay got in foul trouble early with a couple fouls on Green. Gay made a few good shots but also a few air balls. He missed a reverse dunk attempt. Gay had 19, Warrick had 21 and Lowry had 19.

This was the final game for the Lakers SPL team. Andrew Bynum was in street clothes and did not play. The Lakers looked a little out of sync with the 3 guard offense they were playing with shot clock violations and turnovers on bad passes. The Griz were eating them alive scoring on the inside and rebounding at both ends. We really missed Bynum out there today. After losing the 1st 3 qtrs to fall behind by 10 the Lakers fought back to within 2 with seconds left behind the strength of Green and Slaughter. We lost by 3 pts without Bynum to the touted Griz team. Made for a great finish to the SPL.

Individual scoring by quarter:

Bynum: DNP
Farmar: 9, 7, 7, 0 for 23
Green: 4, 4, 2, 12 for 22
Pinnock: 0, 0, 4, 2 for 6
Wafer: 2, 4, 0, 0 for 6
Powell: 0, 5, 3, 0 for 8
Perkins: 2, 2, 0, 3 for 7
Slaughter: 0, 3, 2, 12 for 17
Douthit: 2, 2, 2, 5 for 11
Murry: 0, 0, 0, 0 for 0
Fey: 0, 2, 4, 0 for 6
Sanders: 0, 0, 0, 0 for 0
Horvath: DNP?
Fobbs: 0, 0, 2, 0 for 2

Individual recaps:

Bynum: DNP

Farmar: Farmar had a good game offensively, getting his outside shot going as well. In the 1st qtr he even hit a couple threes. He did a great job with his aggressiveness driving to the hole for layups. He did get 3 fouls in the 1st half. He had a few TO's on bad passes again in this game. He missed a few layups and missed several FT attempts. Farmar did a good job at fighting through a screen once but was called for a foul for his efforts. Bad call on that one. Farmar needs more strength to contain his man on D, in this game it was either Lowry, Roberson or Harrington he had to deal with.

Green: Green played a solid game although a little more subdued than the previous game, until the 4th qtr when he dominated (along with Slaughter). Dived on the floor for a loose ball once which was indicative of his aggressiveness. Green made two 3 ptrs in the 4th along with several post up makes on drives to the hoop. To me, Green showed the most complete game of the Laker SPL players. With the possible exception of Farmar I think Green had the best performance for a Lakers guard in the SPL. From what I saw I would take him over Pinnock for a roster spot.

Pinnock: Pinnock seemed to have disappeared for most of the game. Finally scored with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd qtr. Overall a sub par game for him but played ok in the 2nd half.

Wafer: Wafer played ok in the 1st half but didn't play much in the 2nd. Too little, too late for Wafer. A miracle in training camp is his best bet.

Powell: Powell had an ok game with a 3 pt make and some nice aggressiveness on D. Not impressive enough to get close to a roster spot imho.

Perkins: Perkins had an ok game but did nothing that stood out to me. I like his aggressiveness but he has too many other guards ahead ofhim in the roster chase.

Slaughter: Slaughter came on strong to have a monster 12 pt 4th qtr and had a strong inside game. Him and Green were the 2 reasons we made this a close game. He finished with 17 pts in the game. Very urgent and effective finisher when we needed him. Slaughter is like a slightly smaller, less vocal and slightly less consistent version of Ronny Turiaf. His problem is that we already have Ronny Turiaf. Would currently love to see Slaughter replace Cook on the roster. A camp invite should be a lock.

Douthit: Douthit played a solid game scoring inside, rebounding and battling inside. Until the 4th qtr I thought he was the most effective big. Then Marcus took over. Will probably get a camp invite but has many obstacles in the way of him going any further with the Lakers.

Murry: Nothing to report.

Fey: Fey scored a bucket and 4 ft's. Wasn't very effective.

Sanders: Nothing to report.

Horvath: Nothing to report.

Fobbs: Fobbs had 7 fouls with 4 minutes gone in the 3rd period. Ineffective for the most part. Had one bucket.

For more indepth analysis please refer to DB's and Mike (@) LG's recaps. I will be driving home now so won't be able to answer questions for a bit.
totoro714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Great recap Lakers#1!
bynum and kobe
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Nice review Lakers#1Team! Just sad that Bynum didn't play.
kqiu2210
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:

What can I say...we got Gayed.

Thnx for the recap!
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject:

repost!

finally the GAY played!!!!!!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Props to Rudy Happy.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Bynum was limping a little. Hurt his leg...it sounded like he said it was a deep bone bruise, but it was very hard to hear with his low talking and the music being played so damn loud.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject:

I heard right I guess:

Quote:
Daily News:

Lakers center Andrew Bynum did not play in Wednesday's Summer Pro League finale after suffering a bone bruise in his right knee the day before.

Bynum is expected to need twoto three weeks to recover but should be able to attend the BigMan Camp next month
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:

It'll be interesting to hear what Pete Newell has to say about Bynum after a year of development. I wonder who else is going to BMC.
LakersFanESS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject:

I was at the game tonight and I was disappointed that Bynum didn't play. I wanted to see how he came back against the Big Geek after he only scored eight points on him the other day. Oh Well...

Jordan Farmar:
I was up close during this game so I noticed Farmar wincing and grabbing his groin after every explosion step. It wasn't bad enough that he couldn't play, but it was obviously bothering him (especially when he was guarding Lowry). I thought he did an excellent job of switching gears and looking more for his own offense. With Bynum being out, Farmar was the only Laker that could really create his own shot or make something happen for his teamates. He was looking to be aggressive of the pick-and-roll; driving by his guy pretty much at will or pulling up for the jumper. He shot better from the perimeter in the first half (hit consecutive threes in the second quarter), and cooled some in the second. Farmar has a very good left hand, he drove left many times in this game and finished a number of lay-ups with his left hand. He had 16 points in the first half and it was nice to see him step up into a #1 Option role and be so comfortable and really play well.

Devin Green:
Devin has really improved the skill aspect of his game. He has always had a good feel for the game of basketball but his skill level last year wasn't good enough to take advantage of that natural feel. The last two games, however, he has shown a new side that might mean something to the Lakers next year. In this game, he defended Rudy Gay very well and even frustrated him at times. Devin has good anticipation skills and came up with a lot of deflections and forced turnovers. On offense; his ball handling, shooting, game recognition, body control, and finishing at the hoop have all improved. He showed all of those skills in this game and played a very balanced, efficent game. He came out in the first half and concentrated on shutting down Gay and just let Farmar do most of the scoring. In the second half, and mainly in the 4th quarter, he started being aggessive with his drives and using that to set up his perimeter game. If you did not know anything about Rudy Gay and Devin Green, and you watched them tonight for the first time, you probably would say that Devin is a better prospect. Of course he's not, but it shows how well Devin played.
ToughKarl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject:

LakersFanESS wrote:
I was at the game tonight and I was disappointed that Bynum didn't play. I wanted to see how he came back against the Big Geek after he only scored eight points on him the other day. Oh Well...

Jordan Farmar:
I was up close during this game so I noticed Farmar wincing and grabbing his groin after every explosion step. It wasn't bad enough that he couldn't play, but it was obviously bothering him (especially when he was guarding Lowry). I thought he did an excellent job of switching gears and looking more for his own offense. With Bynum being out, Farmar was the only Laker that could really create his own shot or make something happen for his teamates. He was looking to be aggressive of the pick-and-roll; driving by his guy pretty much at will or pulling up for the jumper. He shot better from the perimeter in the first half (hit consecutive threes in the second quarter), and cooled some in the second. Farmar has a very good left hand, he drove left many times in this game and finished a number of lay-ups with his left hand. He had 16 points in the first half and it was nice to see him step up into a #1 Option role and be so comfortable and really play well.

Devin Green:
Devin has really improved the skill aspect of his game. He has always had a good feel for the game of basketball but his skill level last year wasn't good enough to take advantage of that natural feel. The last two games, however, he has shown a new side that might mean something to the Lakers next year. In this game, he defended Rudy Gay very well and even frustrated him at times. Devin has good anticipation skills and came up with a lot of deflections and forced turnovers. On offense; his ball handling, shooting, game recognition, body control, and finishing at the hoop have all improved. He showed all of those skills in this game and played a very balanced, efficent game. He came out in the first half and concentrated on shutting down Gay and just let Farmar do most of the scoring. In the second half, and mainly in the 4th quarter, he started being aggessive with his drives and using that to set up his perimeter game. If you did not know anything about Rudy Gay and Devin Green, and you watched them tonight for the first time, you probably would say that Devin is a better prospect. Of course he's not, but it shows how well Devin played.

Thank you. Good write-up.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject:

Thanks Lakers#1
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap.
laker_guerilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
kobeodom wrote:
It appears Bynum didn't play...

http://www.summerproleague.com/july19game5.pdf

He sucks. Trade his ass.

i think it's obvious by now that Wafer really, really sucks. too bad he doesn't have any value - he should be cut
lakerulz023
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

la loses 111 to 108
but got some great autos
jerry west
jordan farmar
nslander32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:

kemi4kobes wrote:

just like americans think soccer sucks, africans tend to think the same about baseball. get over it.

You know how ignorant those Americans sound when they say soccer sucks?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

LakersFanESS wrote:
Jordan Farmar:
With Bynum being out, Farmar was the only Laker that could really create his own shot or make something happen for his teamates.
Who was he playing when he was creating something on his own?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
LakersFanESS wrote:
Jordan Farmar:
With Bynum being out, Farmar was the only Laker that could really create his own shot or make something happen for his teamates.
Who was he playing when he was creating something on his own?

Every PG. Best competition for him was Kyle Lowry. Shut him down a couple times, but got by a couple times as well.. this was after the groin in jury.

... he looked quicker before the groin injury. Bounce to his step.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: