View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
I wonder what her end game was....she sounds like all sorts of crazy, not even Hollywood could come up with a movie plot like this.

I'm sure Hollywood did... and it got shot down as too ridiculous to be even remotely believable. Instead, they green lit The Interview because while it's insanely ridiculous, it was plausible enough for audiences to buy into if they suspend some disbelief.

Well only in the Interview can a tank shoot a helicopter out of the sky.....

Battlefield man, Battlefield.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Now she is saying there's "no proof" that her parents are her biological parents, thought there is no reason to doubt they are.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/16/rachel-dolezal-opens-up-being-black_n_7598974.html

I have no problem with her identifying with whatever race she wishes. If she wants to feel black, look black, present herself as black and live as though she is, more power to her.

But she's not doing herself any favors with all the attempts to ignore her obvious dishonesty while trying to navigate this controversy. She needs to own that she actively and knowingly looked to deceive people in her professional and political life.

There have been comparisons between Rachel Dolezal and Caitlyn Jenner, but the huge difference is that the lie Caitlyn has been living until recently was to herself and her identity while living outwardly as the male she was born as. Dolezal has been living a lie based on a deception that does not involve any acknowledgement who she was actually born as. HUGE difference and definitive reflection on her integrity.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject:

There's a legal and a colloquial meaning of term fraud, but purposely misconstruing your race on college and job applications may meet both definitions if not just the colloquial one. She took spots away from people who didn't lie to make themselves appear something they weren't.

The media (CNN, mostly -- who similarly misconstrue themselves as journalists) keep posing the question of whether it's possible to identify with a different race. It's a moot point when the person in question might have a personality disorder and/or other issues that require a psychologist to treat. Even with Donald Sterling, people, including African Americans who were offended, started to back off from statements about his bigotry and privacy rights after they saw for themselves how senile, confused, and emotionally flustered he was. When someone doesn't appear to be playing with a full deck, it's usually the point where the discussion changes focus to that person's mental status.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
^^^^^^^Say hello Eldrick Tont Woods

I had a friend in HS who was the cousin of Tiger's then-GF. I remember him talking about Tiger in 93ish maybe and I asked who the hell is Tiger Woods? They were Mormz. Very stereotypically "Caucazoid", moreso even than myself. Even I would've felt out of place among that clan, just imagine what Tiger felt.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
http://40.media.tumblr.com/0305000afe13725b1e97261ff4a00904/tumblr_npw0ypSsMW1snibmio2_500.jpg

If not for you meddling kids!!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Now she is saying there's "no proof" that her parents are her biological parents, thought there is no reason to doubt they are.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/16/rachel-dolezal-opens-up-being-black_n_7598974.html

I have no problem with her identifying with whatever race she wishes. If she wants to feel black, look black, present herself as black and live as though she is, more power to her.

But she's not doing herself any favors with all the attempts to ignore her obvious dishonesty while trying to navigate this controversy. She needs to own that she actively and knowingly looked to deceive people in her professional and political life.

There have been comparisons between Rachel Dolezal and Caitlyn Jenner, but the huge difference is that the lie Caitlyn has been living until recently was to herself and her identity while living outwardly as the male she was born as. Dolezal has been living a lie based on a deception that does not involve any acknowledgement who she was actually born as. HUGE difference and definitive reflection on her integrity.

On the next episode of Maury......
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject:

It was through this story that I found out that Jennifer Beals is half black!

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Now that's a girl everyone wants to claim for their own.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Why do people really care? News media needs some juicy story now since the NY convicts haven't been caught yet.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
There's a legal and a colloquial meaning of term fraud, but purposely misconstruing your race on college and job applications may meet both definitions if not just the colloquial one. She took spots away from people who didn't lie to make themselves appear something they weren't.

The media (CNN, mostly -- who similarly misconstrue themselves as journalists) keep posing the question of whether it's possible to identify with a different race. It's a moot point when the person in question might have a personality disorder and/or other issues that require a psychologist to treat. Even with Donald Sterling, people, including African Americans who were offended, started to back off from statements about his bigotry and privacy rights after they saw for themselves how senile, confused, and emotionally flustered he was. When someone doesn't appear to be playing with a full deck, it's usually the point where the discussion changes focus to that person's mental status.

Been saying it all along. She's not to be scorned. She needs psychological help.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Jennifer Beals is black. No such thing as half black. Just watched Flashdance the other day. Man, cheesy story, cheesy acting, cheesy dancing. But it was worth watching because she was hot as hell.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Ted wrote:
I watched her interviews, the lady obviously has some deep seated identity issues. She's a loon, and also a pathological liar. She convinced herself that she is black, was born black, and raised black, which is a little worrisome.

It's basically the story of the Ugly Duckling who thinks it's a swan because it was raised with a bunch of swans. Her entire childhood identity with her sisters and brothers was that of a little black kid. Kids don't like being the oddball, so it makes sense that since her 4 other siblings were black, then she'd see her self that way as well, just so as not to feel like the oddball. Normally when children reach adolecence, they start to become more aware of the world around them and lose those visions that reside only inside their head. For some reason, that never occurred with this woman and she just continued with the vision she had in her head. She lived in predominantly Black neighborhoods, went to a Black college, married a Black man, and seems to primarily associate with black people who accept her as she sees herself. By all accounts, she's culturally blacker than Tiger Woods, just like Bill Clinton & Eminem are culturally blacker than Barrack Obama.

What are you jabbering about?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
C M B wrote:

Jennifer Beals is black. No such thing as half black. Just watched Flashdance the other day. Man, cheesy story, cheesy acting, cheesy dancing. But it was worth watching because she was hot as hell.

That was on about a month ago on a channel that showed the strip club scene. Nice. She's got that Pheobe Cates / Diane Lane flavor. Any red blooded American male who remembers stupid 1983 movies professes his long-held love for all of em. Jenny still looks great. I've talked about this before, there aren't a lot of recognizable famous entertainment faces from 1983 that aren't melted by this point.

At any rate, I think I get your point. I generally defer from giving staunch theories on what constitutes blackness in America because I haven't lived it. I made a similar post to CMB's about Slash a couple pages back (i.e.: surprised he's half black). Genetically speaking, at least. His looks stand out to me in a way that proves how easy it was for this chic here to slip under the guise of being African-American for years. You can tell me if you think I'm off base on that sentiment, but regardless, I think Rachel Dolezal is NOT the person to have fostered this as a debate if it should have EVER become one in the first place. She has milked the title for a scholarship and a job without ever dealing with racism, race discrimination, etc. Even if she were to claim she did under her alter ego, she still knew she was white underneath. One would hope she understands that what she has done is offputting to a lot of the people that she seems to believe she's honoring by emultation. Considering that she's been unapologetic for lying to countless people about her true identity, probably not. She wound up giving the NAACP another credibility hit not of their own making. She's lucky she's not being called a scam artist, outright, or being looked at as one by Howard Univ. Being viewed as an Almond Joy bar (nuts) is probably better for her future than she may know at this point. She might be absolved for her intentional role.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject:

I don't know if racial lines of identity are that easily drawn, at least for those who are in fact in that category of being racially mixed (unlike Rachel Dolozal who identifies herself as a member of a group that is not her ethnicity). I remember one day in grad school when a couple of large classes merged for a quick study. We were all asked to assemble in groups that represented our ethnic identity, which were White Protestant, White Catholic, Jewish, Black, Asian, Hispanic/Latino, Other and Mixed. You were allowed to join one group but leave if you no longer felt it was a fit. I was a member of several of these groups so I drifted, and joined Mixed.

Our Mixed group was a hodge-podge, and I felt we'd have no commonality. I was dead wrong, as when we had to write out our experiences as being mixed. As a whole we didn't really identify with being Black, Asian, White, Jewish, Hispanic or much of anything else, and felt at times uncomfortable when others tried thrusting an identity (and accompanying value system) onto us. We also collectively felt that it was nice at times as it helped us blend with a group, so there were also benefits of ambiguity.

Back in the classroom we reported our findings, along with the other groups and it seems that each group had some strong feelings and experiences, except the White Protestant group, who felt they had no real identity at all and no commonality (for the most part) with one another, though the rest of us (me included) felt they were holding back from one another, perhaps anticipating some degree of backlash from the other groups due to their position of power in society as a whole.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I don't know if racial lines of identity are that easily drawn, at least for those who are in fact in that category of being racially mixed (unlike Rachel Dolozal who identifies herself as a member of a group that is not her ethnicity). I remember one day in grad school when a couple of large classes merged for a quick study. We were all asked to assemble in groups that represented our ethnic identity, which were White Protestant, White Catholic, Jewish, Black, Asian, Hispanic/Latino, Other and Mixed. You were allowed to join one group but leave if you no longer felt it was a fit. I was a member of several of these groups so I drifted, and joined Mixed.

Our Mixed group was a hodge-podge, and I felt we'd have no commonality. I was dead wrong, as when we had to write out our experiences as being mixed. As a whole we didn't really identify with being Black, Asian, White, Jewish, Hispanic or much of anything else, and felt at times uncomfortable when others tried thrusting an identity (and accompanying value system) onto us. We also collectively felt that it was nice at times as it helped us blend with a group, so there were also benefits of ambiguity.

Back in the classroom we reported our findings, along with the other groups and it seems that each group had some strong feelings and experiences, except the White Protestant group, who felt they had no real identity at all and no commonality (for the most part) with one another, though the rest of us (me included) felt they were holding back from one another, perhaps anticipating some degree of backlash from the other groups due to their position of power in society as a whole.

I'm sure they all loved The Wire.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

The thing that concerns me most about Rachel Dolozal is her mental well being. I think it's being overlooked.

She had to know her family would eventually out her yet she continued to perpetrate a lie. That's not the action of a mentally stable person.

Next time you see her in a interview look into her eyes. They look blank to me, wandering.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

You're gonna have to explain this to me. Why is it not reasonable to refer to someone of biracial heredity as half _____? And I think it'd be just as reasonable to refer to Beals as "white". She's still hot in 2015 btw.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

I dunno. My cousin would differ on that opinion.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
C M B wrote:

You're gonna have to explain this to me. Why is it not reasonable to refer to someone of biracial heredity as half _____? And I think it'd be just as reasonable to refer to Beals as "white". She's still hot in 2015 btw.

ONE DROP RULE Jus sayin

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Ted wrote:
I watched her interviews, the lady obviously has some deep seated identity issues. She's a loon, and also a pathological liar. She convinced herself that she is black, was born black, and raised black, which is a little worrisome.

It's basically the story of the Ugly Duckling who thinks it's a swan because it was raised with a bunch of swans. Her entire childhood identity with her sisters and brothers was that of a little black kid. Kids don't like being the oddball, so it makes sense that since her 4 other siblings were black, then she'd see her self that way as well, just so as not to feel like the oddball. Normally when children reach adolecence, they start to become more aware of the world around them and lose those visions that reside only inside their head. For some reason, that never occurred with this woman and she just continued with the vision she had in her head. She lived in predominantly Black neighborhoods, went to a Black college, married a Black man, and seems to primarily associate with black people who accept her as she sees herself. By all accounts, she's culturally blacker than Tiger Woods, just like Bill Clinton & Eminem are culturally blacker than Barrack Obama.

What are you jabbering about?

WTF?!
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
C M B wrote:

Same here. I never heard of anyone not accepting the half rule when it comes to ethnicity. My sons are half white, half latino. No good?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject:

I read my Almond Joy ref above. Brown on the outside, white and nutty on the inside. No? Nothin? I thought that was pretty good on the fly.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:
C M B wrote:

ONE DROP RULE Jus sayin

It's the American way!.....lol!
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
http://40.media.tumblr.com/0305000afe13725b1e97261ff4a00904/tumblr_npw0ypSsMW1snibmio2_500.jpg

I'm dead
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

As one mixed person to another, the bolded is spot-(bleep)-on.

When you're like us, you come to realize just how backwards society is towards race. I felt like I was hit in the head with a brick when everyone in college tried to place me into a neat little racial corner.

It's kind of fun being a pariah though. Like you say, ambiguity has some benefits. I don't fit perfectly into any group, but I can blend into most without issue.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: