Camcorder advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Camcorder advice

Okay..My wife is due in Late SEP.(our first) and I need to invest in a good camcorder. Now, I want to move away from mini DV and get a DVD or even a hard drive camcorder. However, for those who own either, or now about either, could you post the pros and cons about both?

Id obviously like to pay the least amount for a decent camera. Thanks in advance.
Waterboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:

If you plan to do any editing to the video, don't get the DVD one. If you plan to take long trips and would like to bring the camera with you, don't get the hard drive one. Why are you so against mini-DV?

Personal recommendation, get one of the Panasonic 3CCD miniDV cams.

Lastly, visit www.camcorderinfo.com for some more info and ratings.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject:

I guess im tired of buying the tapes..I fiugre Atleast with the dvd i can purchase dvd-rw and transfer and wipe.
Billy_Blanko
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:

dvd camera, dont do it, dont do it, dont do it. You will have much more flexibility with dv, like waterboy said, 3ccd from panasonic, you cant really go wrong. I am rocking a gs250 now, but you can downgrade and get a 150 or upgrade and get a 400, depending on how ambitious you are or your budget. But a DVD camera, please don't. And a Harddrive camera is just not going to be practical for your purposes. If you are sick of buying dv tapes, just buy a bulkload. You can get 50-100 or more on ebay. And don't forget a head cleaner.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject:

this might sound silly but i havent owned a camera in a LONG time..but, is there another way around playing your video straight from the camera(via rca's)?

I ask, because my friend's camera will stop rewinding all of a sudden, then work okay. I assumed that it was because all the rewinding and forwarding was being done through the camera itself.
Waterboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

Yeah, 2 options....

You can purchase a separate/dedicated mini-DV player (which are ridiculously expensive) or you can just buy a cheaper mini-dv cam and use that as a player.

I've got the Panny GS400 miniDV camera and it is awesome, but it may be too large for some people depending on your purpose.

The problem with DVD (i believe) is that it writes to the DVD in mpeg4 format which is compressed. Hence my reasoning on why to avoid it if you plan to edit.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:

Waterboy wrote:
Yeah, 2 options....

You can purchase a separate/dedicated mini-DV player (which are ridiculously expensive) or you can just buy a cheaper mini-dv cam and use that as a player.

I've got the Panny GS400 miniDV camera and it is awesome, but it may be too large for some people depending on your purpose.

The problem with DVD (i believe) is that it writes to the DVD in mpeg4 format which is compressed. Hence my reasoning on why to avoid it if you plan to edit.

true, i hadnt thought about the compression.. thanks.
Im actually going over the gs 300 review and ill probably go to the store later today and check em out. thanks
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: