LeBron will opt-out and take "Wait & See" approach with Cavs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Sports pundits are debating whether or not LeBron should be more clear with his intentions. I say NO. Use the forum to get as much as he can in his next contract.

He was seen in Los Angeles with Love. He said he would actively recruit him.

Why aren't they asking the same of Gilbert?

Lebron seems like he's been pretty clear. He's opting out, but he won't talk with other teams. He's waiting to see if the Cavs resign all their own free agents. If they do, Lebron will sign up again. If they don't, he'll evaluate the situation.

That's my take. It's also why I'm not on board with the LeBron haters. The way I see it, this time he has Gilbert at a bit of a disadvantage.

I think it's a big nothing. Everyone knew that Lebron would opt out to get a raise. There's no downside for him to wait to resign. On the tiny chance that the Cavs let a bunch of the team leave, Lebron would have the option of changing his mind and leaving.

But it's not like this is another Decision. He's being low key about it. Basically, it will irritate the people who get irritated just hearing Lebron's name, but no one else will mind much.

Again you and I are in concert. Some fans have not gotten over the decision. IMO it was handled wrong but I view it as a growing process. He's done things that some call douche, maybe so. I like the way he's sticking it to management.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Sports pundits are debating whether or not LeBron should be more clear with his intentions. I say NO. Use the forum to get as much as he can in his next contract.

Lebron seems like he's been pretty clear. He's opting out, but he won't talk with other teams. He's waiting to see if the Cavs resign all their own free agents. If they do, Lebron will sign up again. If they don't, he'll evaluate the situation.

That's my take. It's also why I'm not on board with the LeBron haters. The way I see it, this time he has Gilbert at a bit of a disadvantage.

I think it's a big nothing. Everyone knew that Lebron would opt out to get a raise. There's no downside for him to wait to resign. On the tiny chance that the Cavs let a bunch of the team leave, Lebron would have the option of changing his mind and leaving.

But it's not like this is another Decision. He's being low key about it. Basically, it will irritate the people who get irritated just hearing Lebron's name, but no one else will mind much.

Again you and I are in concert. Some fans have not gotten over the decision. IMO it was handled wrong but I view it as a growing process. He's done things that some call douche, maybe so. I like the way he's sticking it to management.

I find Lebron obnoxious and self-centered, but no more so than a lot of famous athletes/celebrities. He's the face of the NBA right now so everything he does gets heightened attention. And he's in the forefront of the era of athletes being consumed by their "brand" which I find tiresome. But that's the times we live it -- it magnifies the diva-ness of star athletes.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject:

If Kobe chased rings throughout his 20 year career the way Lebron has so far. Mamba would've made more than 7 finals (and he would've won more than a 1/3 of them).
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
If Kobe chased rings throughout his 20 year career the way Lebron has so far. Mamba would've made more than 7 finals (and he would've won more than a 1/3 of them).

If he had gone the Lebron's route, Kobe would be in Bill Russell's territory...

By the way, if for some reasons Cleveland failed to improve ( not likely), and Lebron decided to leave again, he would be the Greatest ring chaser of all times...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Considering that the one time Kobe was looking to leave he was going to the Clippers, not so sure that would have worked out for him.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Considering that the one time Kobe was looking to leave he was going to the Clippers, not so sure that would have worked out for him.

You are right, but he is supposing Kobe going the Lebron's way, something like joining the Spurs ...
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I find Lebron obnoxious and self-centered, but no more so than a lot of famous athletes/celebrities. He's the face of the NBA right now so everything he does gets heightened attention. And he's in the forefront of the era of athletes being consumed by their "brand" which I find tiresome. But that's the times we live it -- it magnifies the diva-ness of star athletes.

Under what circumstances do you see Lebron signing elsewhere?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Realistically none. It would take the Cavs making insulting offers to its free agents and having them all leave.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Realistically none. It would take the Cavs making insulting offers to its free agents and having them all leave.

Yeah. This is simply a "come to Jesus" move by LeBron. He lets the Cavs know to not make the mistakes they made last time they had him on the roster and get's a tad bit more money as well.

Gilbert's too close to getting that elusive title at this point. They will make everyone happy, and El BJ will then be happy.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Yeah. This is simply a "come to Jesus" move by LeBron. He lets the Cavs know to not make the mistakes they made last time they had him on the roster and get's a tad bit more money as well.

Gilbert's too close to getting that elusive title at this point. They will make everyone happy, and El BJ will then be happy.

Well apart from the title, Lebron brings a huge amount of money to the Cavs. It would be financially idiotic for Gilbert to not spend to keep him.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Well apart from the title, Lebron brings a huge amount of money to the Cavs. It would be financially idiotic for Gilbert to not spend to keep him.

I don't know, think about how much money they will get in jersey revenue if they let him bolt for a year and then all the fans burn their jerseys only to buy new ones again.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject:

I don't get the ring chasing. James has only played with 2 teams.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I don't get the ring chasing. James has only played with 2 teams.

This is more of a LG sentiment than an outside-the-LG sentiment. This site is probably Trash Lebron Central because this site has a strong contingent who trashes anyone who in anyway is seen as a rival to Kobe.

Basically, the world in general rightly thought Lebron was a jerk for the Decision.But hardly anyone minded him going back to the Cavs.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

All they have to do is sign Love and Lebron would be forced to stay. Not hard for the Cavs to do. Lebron's letter to Cleveland had little to do with winning. He stated he wanted to build something and give back to him community. It didn't mention the Cavs had to do what he says or else. If he bolts it will be a PR nightmare for Lebron. One that he'll never come back from.

So he has no leverage here.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

All they have to do is sign Love and Lebron would be forced to stay. Not hard for the Cavs to do. Lebron's letter to Cleveland had little to do with winning. He stated he wanted to build something and give back to him community. It didn't mention the Cavs had to do what he says or else. If he bolts it will be a PR nightmare for Lebron. One that he'll never come back from.

I think you're missing the point. I don't for a moment think Lebron wants to bolt. So, sure, if the Cavs resign Love, there isn't a reason for him to leave. I think the situation is the exact opposite of what you're suggesting -- he isn't looking for a reason to stay; he's just making sure there isn't a reason for him to leave. All this is much ado about nothing.

I think, in reality, the Cavs are going to do the smart thing and resign all their key guys. I don't for a moment think Gilbert is saying, "Ha! I can sign Love and let everyone else go because I have Lebron by the balls and will save a few bucks."

Ultimately, Lebron's leverage is this: He is worth $400 million, any team in the league would throw out the red carpet for him, and he only has to care about what he chooses to care about.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

I think you're missing the point. I don't for a moment think Lebron wants to bolt. So, sure, if the Cavs resign Love, there isn't a reason for him to leave. I think the situation is the exact opposite of what you're suggesting -- he isn't looking for a reason to stay; he's just making sure there isn't a reason for him to leave. All this is much ado about nothing.

I think, in reality, the Cavs are going to do the smart thing and resign all their key guys. I don't for a moment think Gilbert is saying, "Ha! I can sign Love and let everyone else go because I have Lebron by the balls and will save a few bucks."

Ultimately, Lebron's leverage is this: He is worth $400 million, any team in the league would throw out the red carpet for him, and he only has to care about what he chooses to care about.

And he stated he cared about Cleveland and he cares about his image, which effects his worth. He can't afford to leave Cleveland, even if K Love signs elsewhere. After all they went to the finals without him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

And he stated he cared about Cleveland and he cares about his image, which effects his worth. He can't afford to leave Cleveland, even if K Love signs elsewhere. After all they went to the finals without him.

We're going in circles here. You think Gilbert has the upper hand. I think Lebron does. Practically, I think it doesn't matter, because I think the Cavs are going to re-sign their key players and Lebron will stay put.
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

What mistakes did they make the last time LeBron was on the roster? Gilbert was fully willing to spend during that time period, but when he bought the team they had no assets outside of LeBron. I'm really not sure what else the team could have done for him, and honestly a lot of their issues were on LeBron. He refused to recruit guys back then, and if LeBron isn't recruiting you or giving a commitment to staying long term with the franchise, guys aren't going to just go to Cleveland.

We've already seen what a difference LeBron's recruiting has made since he returned to the Cavs. He instantly got Kevin Love on board to come to Cleveland, and basically every veteran ring chaser at least considered the Cavs last summer. Further, there have been rumors that Aldridge would be totally interested in playing for the Cavs if Kevin Love were to leave (not going to happen, but it just goes to show the sway LeBron has when he exercises it).

If LeBron had been that interested in recruiting guys his first stint in Cleveland he may never have had to leave in the first place. But he always had one foot out the door, so it ended the way it did.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

We're going in circles here. You think Gilbert has the upper hand. I think Lebron does. Practically, I think it doesn't matter, because I think the Cavs are going to re-sign their key players and Lebron will stay put.

I think it has more to do with the love letter he wrote to Cleveland. Love goes elsewhere, for personal reasons and the Cavs don't make any major signing aside from maybe re-upping with Thompson, Lebron is still forced to stay in Cleveland. I don't think Love goes anywhere either, but just pointing out that LBJ has his hands tied by that letter he wrote. Not so much what Gilbert fails to do or not.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Bingo.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

I think it has more to do with the love letter he wrote to Cleveland. Love goes elsewhere, for personal reasons and the Cavs don't make any major signing aside from maybe re-upping with Thompson, Lebron is still forced to stay in Cleveland. I don't think Love goes anywhere either, but just pointing out that LBJ has his hands tied by that letter he wrote. Not so much what Gilbert fails to do or not.

Maybe. On the other hand, if the Cavs did something ridiculous and let the whole team leave, I could see Lebron writing another letter: "Sorry, Cleveland, I love you -- but I can't play for a team that won't commit to winning for you."

Ultimately, it all comes down to whether Lebron & Co. think they can win the spin. And bottom line, Lebron's hands are only as tied as he perceives them to be. He can choose to leave, but Gilbert can't force him to stay. As I said, I think this is all moot, but I don't see Gilbert being so dumb as to gut his team to save money on the gamble that Lebron would be afraid to leave.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Maybe. On the other hand, if the Cavs did something ridiculous and let the whole team leave, I could see Lebron writing another letter: "Sorry, Cleveland, I love you -- but I can't play for a team that won't commit to winning for you."

Ultimately, it all comes down to whether Lebron & Co. think they can win the spin. And bottom line, Lebron's hands are only as tied as he perceives them to be. He can choose to leave, but Gilbert can't force him to stay. As I said, I think this is all moot, but I don't see Gilbert being so dumb as to gut his team to save money on the gamble that Lebron would be afraid to leave.

I see Gilbert with the most to lose, LeBron with the leverage.

Cleveland hasn't won a championship since 1964 when the Cleveland Browns won the NFL Championship (pre Super Bowl era). LeBron came back to a Cleveland team that hadn't made the playoffs since he left in 2010. Came back in 2015 and led them to the finals. He has the fans in his corner.

LeBron's message to Gilbert is re-sign the team that took us to the finals. I have a option, don't sign them and I may take my talents elsewhere.

If Gilbert re-signs the roster and they don't win a ring the pendulum swings in the other direction, the handcuffs are now on James. Handcuffs in the sense his letter comes into play. Gilbert gave him what he wanted, he didn't win a ring. If he left his reputation would take a hit that would sink him with sponsors and ESPN. The buying public would get off the King James bandwagon.

If Dan re-signs the roster the pressure is on LeBron. He has to win a ring. If he doesn't IMO, he has to stay in Cleveland. If Gilbert re-signs the current roster, IMO, LBJ is stuck in his hometown.

That's really not a bad thing. He's only 30. He has a chance to level with the GOAT Michael Jordan. He could win multiple rings in Cleveland. That would take him to the next level, he'd be elevated from king to god.

From the letter

Quote:
When I left Cleveland, I was on a mission. I was seeking championships, and we won two. But Miami already knew that feeling. Our city hasn’t had that feeling in a long, long, long time. My goal is still to win as many titles as possible, no question. But what’s most important for me is bringing one trophy back to Northeast Ohio.

If he wins one does that mean he may leave for another city? I don't think so.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

Should be interesting if this happens he'll be the biggest troll ever

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/lebron-james-could-leave-cleveland-says-stephen-a-smith?utm_term=sports+football+baseball+basketball+poker+motorsports+soccer+hockey+tennis+golf+chess+volleyball+girls&utm_content=magazine&utm_source=eihtballprayer+&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=eihtballprayer+

Quote:
LeBron James could leave Cleveland, says Stephen A. Smith
It seems awkward to talk about LeBron James leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers considering the whole ‘I’m Coming Home’ thing, but after LeBron spent a few days in Miami last week working out with Dwayne Wade, the rumor mill started churning. Could LeBron leave the Cavs for a second time?

ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith says there’s a possibility he might, according to what his sources are telling him. He first said so on Jorge & Izzy on ESPN Radio via The Big Lead:

“What everybody who’s close to him continuously reminds me of is: ‘don’t you dare take LeBron for granted or think he’s trapped into staying in Cleveland just because he came back. Don’t put it past him that he’ll get so annoyed that he’ll leave again if he feels like he’s being taken for granted, ran into the ground and, essentially, misused.”

Smith expanded on that point on ESPN’s first take on Friday, saying that while he doesn’t think Lebron will leave, he wouldn’t be surprised. The clip occurs about 11 minutes into the following clip:

“I will tell you this: LeBron never once promised to retire a Cleveland Cavalier. His mission is to come back and deliver a Championship to the city of Cleveland, I don’t see him departing before that happens unless he believes there’s no hope or something else happens with Dan Gilbert.”
chicksrealfirstname
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Lebron has won 2 titles in 4 years with championship teammates- and lost against the historically great Spurs in '14. Last year, his second best offensive player was Matthew Dellevadova or JR Smith, and they lost to a 67 win team. Lebron has only underachieved one time in the playoffs. Once.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:

chicksrealfirstname wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Lebron has won 2 titles in 4 years with championship teammates- and lost against the historically great Spurs in '14. Last year, his second best offensive player was Matthew Dellevadova or JR Smith, and they lost to a 67 win team. Lebron has only underachieved one time in the playoffs. Once.

That 2010 team underachieved as well, in part thanks to him. I distinctly remember him giving up. Seem like he checked out and had dreams of Miami.

Otherwise yeah, there are really only two playoffs where his team underachieved due to him playing poorly.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: