Scottie Pippen says he was 'LeBron James before LeBron James'

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Scottie Pippen says he was 'LeBron James before LeBron James'

Quote:
Whenen people discuss LeBron James and compare him to past players, two NBA legends come to mind: Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson. However, in an interview with the Northeast Ohio Media Group, Scottie Pippen argued that LeBron is more comparable to him:

"I was LeBron James before LeBron James," Bulls great Scottie Pippen told Northeast Ohio Media Group. "It's not even close."

It sounds like a crazy statement, given how much LeBron has had superstar status that's similar to Jordan in the '90s. But it's pointed out that even James himself has said in the past how much Pippen influenced his game, yet he never comes up in comparison discussions:

"I'm no slouch, but when comparing LeBron's game, I'm usually left out," he said.

James has stated over the years how much he watched Pippen's game when growing up and how he incorporated facets into his own repertoire. Yet still, Pippen is a forgotten man when the conversations ramps up.

"They want to compare him to the greatest whether it be Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson, but he's more closer to myself," Pippen said. "It's natural for folks to say that, but if you look at how he plays the game and how I played the game, you'll see more similarities with us."

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/6/30/8868049/scottie-pippen-says-he-was-lebron-james-before-lebron-james
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject:

I've said for years that Lebron is basically Scottie Pippen with all of the physical attributes maxed out. He's like if Scottie created a MyPlayer of himself in the 90's. Many people (And media outlets) are taking what Pippen said out of context. He's not saying he's as good or better than Lebron (though superboy would disagree), he's comparing their playing styles. And in terms of of style of play and strengths and weaknesses, they're very similar. It's a much better comparison than MJ and Magic.

Last edited by KBH on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
've said for years that Lebron is basically Scottie Pippen with all of the physical attributes maxed out. He's like if Scottie created a MyPlayer of himself in the 90's. Many people (And media outlets) are taking what Pippen said out of context. He's not saying he's as good or better than Lebron (though superboy would disagree), he's comparing their playing styles. And in terms of of style of play and strengths and weaknesses, they're very similar. It's a much better comparison than MJ and Magic.

So Pippen = LeBron = Odom = Randle in terms of playing style?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
KBH wrote:
've said for years that Lebron is basically Scottie Pippen with all of the physical attributes maxed out. He's like if Scottie created a MyPlayer of himself in the 90's. Many people (And media outlets) are taking what Pippen said out of context. He's not saying he's as good or better than Lebron (though superboy would disagree), he's comparing their playing styles. And in terms of of style of play and strengths and weaknesses, they're very similar. It's a much better comparison than MJ and Magic.

So Pippen = LeBron = Odom = Randle in terms of playing style?

Not really. Odom is a more of a PF or tweener than Lebron and Pippen. Both were better ball handlers (LO could barely dribble with his offhand), had much quicker first steps and were better passers. I haven't seen enough of Randle, but he looks more similar to a Draymond Green than the other guys. But that could change now that he's lost some weight.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
I've said for years that Lebron is basically Scottie Pippen with all of the physical attributes maxed out. He's like if Scottie created a MyPlayer of himself in the 90's. Many people (And media outlets) are taking what Pippen said out of context. He's not saying he's as good or better than Lebron (though superboy would disagree), he's comparing their playing styles. And in terms of of style of play and strengths and weaknesses, they're very similar. It's a much better comparison than MJ and Magic.

Yeah I've said this a few times as well

Other player a lot like Pippen is iguodala

Pippen is still the better defender though, by a large margin imo. Lebron rarely actually plays d
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Scottie was a bit better than lebron.

Imagine if Kobe had lebron's body? He would be averaging 60 a night.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Pip was better defensively.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject:

So big guys, who can score, while passing and dribbling at an average level.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Pip was better defensively.

Much better!
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:

If this generation valued defense, there wouldn't be so much backlash.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Booya! You KNOW i love this thread!

Pippen must be lurking my posts.

Pippen is better than Lebron at everything except muscles and statting.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject:

LeBron is Pippen on steroids. Quite possibly literally.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Ster Kerr in 2011:

"The irony to me is that LeBron is not Michael. LeBron is actually Scottie,"

"Phil Jackson used to call Scottie a 'sometimes shooter.' Sometimes they would go in, sometimes they wouldn't. That's how it is with LeBron. He's a great talent and a great player but you can see his flaws as a basketball player. He doesn't have an offensive game that he can rely on: no low-post game, no mid-range jump shot so when the game really gets tough he has a hard time finding easy baskets and getting himself going. That's what Michael did in his sleep so that's why the comparison is wrong."

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6656859
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Pippen is too humble.

As a defender he's hands down the better player.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject:

And as for Jordan:

The one thing LeBron is similar to Jordan in is in how many morons go around defending him.

Even people from other teams!

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject:

Yeah, Pip was a great small forward, maybe one of the best ever, but he was not LeBron in most observer's eyes for a lot of reasons.

Fit gap analysis ?

The awards.
    The championships which came with him being the best player on the team.
    The number of times he carries a decent team into the Finals on his back.
    He didn't come into the league as strong as LeBron.
    He didn't score as consistently nor as much.

He was not the offensive giant - or creative passer - that LeBron has been.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject:

Sure, stylistically, Lebron is more like Pippen than Jordan. But no, Scottie Pippen was not Lebron James before Lebron James. That's like saying World B. Free was Michael Jordan before Michael Jordan.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject:

The thing people forget is, the Bulls were incredibly close to the title the year they played without Jordan. But Scottie Pippen mentally folded.

That's the complaint about Scottie he wasn't a true alpha, and frankly until just really this last finals (maybe the final one with the heat at well)... that was the complaint about Lebron.

The comparison isn't all that crazy. But if I had to describe it... Lebron is like the "shaq" version of Scottie Pippen... aka... beefed up physical freak.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
The thing people forget is, the Bulls were incredibly close to the title the year they played without Jordan. But Scottie Pippen mentally folded. .

They weren't that close.

They lost to the Knicks in the semi-conference finals, 4-3. Now, a lot of people say the Bulls were screwed by a call in game 5. Even if you give the Bulls that game, they lead the series 3-2. From then who knows? Give the Bulls the close call, and maybe things change and the Knicks come out with the energy in game 6 and stomp the Bulls, instead of the other way around.

And even if the Bulls win that series, they still have two more series to go. It's not like the Bulls were only play away from winning a ring.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
So big guys, who can score, while passing and dribbling at an average level.

No. Lamar Odom can do the things you mentioned, but I wouldn't say he plays like Pippen.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Ster Kerr in 2011:

"The irony to me is that LeBron is not Michael. LeBron is actually Scottie,"

"Phil Jackson used to call Scottie a 'sometimes shooter.' Sometimes they would go in, sometimes they wouldn't. That's how it is with LeBron. He's a great talent and a great player but you can see his flaws as a basketball player. He doesn't have an offensive game that he can rely on: no low-post game, no mid-range jump shot so when the game really gets tough he has a hard time finding easy baskets and getting himself going. That's what Michael did in his sleep so that's why the comparison is wrong."

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6656859

I remember that quote.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Am still amazed at Bronhaters.
Do you really think Pippen would have made Iguodala or Thompson or Green cry defensively?
Pippen only had to deal with sissies like Anthony Mason n Charles Oakley. He only had to guard Ewing once in a while.

Jeebush.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject:

I agree ... Scottie was my fav player after Magic retired... loved his all around game.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Pippen once said that lebron may be better than MJ. So, if pippen is better than Lebron, and lebron is better than MJ, is Pippen the GOAT?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: